Okay, I am going to apologize ahead of time for what I am about to say, but here goes. If this were MY setup, I would pull everything and start over.
Talk about too many opinions!
1) After looking at your pictures, I would get a HDMI / DVI cable * and connect the DirecTV box to your television using that cable. It is digital, and will give you the best possible picture. There are two audio connectors next to that connector on the back of your television, so you will need to include a L/R audio cable with the HDMI / DVI cable. (...later...)
2) I would take the component output of the DVD recorder and plug it into the component 1 input of your television (CMP1).
3) I would plug an S-Video cable between the DirecTV receiver OUT to the S-Video IN of the DVD recorder.
That's it for the video.
4) Split the audio (L/R) output of the DirecTV receiver. Send one L/R set to the DVI input of the television (see 1 above). Send the other L/R set to the audio input of the DVD recorder (see page 7 of the EZ48 manual (7) audio/video input terminals and (8) S-Video input terminal.)
5) lastly, (see 2 above) connect audio cable L/R from the DVD recorder output to the audio input of CMP1 on your television.
That's what *I* would do if I were you.
You will get high definition from the DirecTV box on the DVI/Digital input of your television.
You will be able to record from the DirecTV box to the EZ48 using the line inputs.
You will be able to watch/monitor the EZ48 output by turning the TV to CMP1 input.
THAT'S what I would do. (...he said redundantly
I'm hope I have not confused you even more, but I think this is the SIMPLEST setup that will allow you the fullest functionality. Leave the rest of it out. It is non functional, or worse.
PS If you want to record two things at once, you will need a second "antenna in" to your DirecTV box.