Originally Posted by nm88
Common sense > all the AV software in the world.
Best quote on here yet. And basically what I and Suntan have been saying all along.
Ask any Linux guru/nerd why they don't run as root (Linux version of administrator). Same concept should be passed along to windows users. There are way too many users running as admin which is half the reason why pc's get infected in the first place.
If more people would just run as a limited user, half the spyware/viruses/maleware wouldn't even be able to install itself on the pc.
So for 99.999999% of "common sense" users out there if they did the following:
- Used a Nat router, or a Nat router with a form of SPI (added that part in for you there Stealth)
- Turned on the windows firewall
- Ran in Limited user mode, IE NOT as administrator
- Don't click on links you don't know what they are or who they are from
- Don't open email attachments, blah blah blah
Basically being a level headed user and there honestly shouldn't be a reason or a need to run AV. but if your the type of person that has to "goes around randomly poking your “HTPC” into the dirty places on the internet, then you need a condom." (thanks again Suntan for that quote)
In the end its all up to how you use your system and what you do with it.