or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot - Page 81

post #2401 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourdel View Post

Thank you ever so much for this advice. I was getting really annoyed with this problem. I will try what you suggested when I am back at home - lets hope it works.

I have found that any capture setting other than the default setting will tigger TME to re-encode when making an AVCHD DVD Disc, and also if you use
the Cutting Room. I use the following procedures, as the best way to edit and make AVCHD DVD Disc without re-encoding with the Hauppauge HD PVR captures.

1. Capture with default settings
2. Make a AVCHD DVD Disc with TME & output the BDMV to Hard Disc.
3. Under BDMV/Streams you will find the input capture footage as
00000, 00001, 00002 .....
4. I use Corel Video Studio 11.5 Plus software to edit the Streams(no re-encoding).
5. Use TME again to make the final AVCHD DVD Disc with the edited streams(no re-encding).
post #2402 of 5196
Quote:


I must be on some other planet The pins don't like each other.

Not a different planet, just a bit confused

The pins you are going to be connecting are from the outputs of one box (filter) to the inputs of the next... NEVER from one end of the box to the other end of the same box, as in your picture. Just arrange the blocks in signal-processing order left to right.... connect the pins from the first to second, left to right, second to third, left to right...

post #2403 of 5196
I have a feature request for rcTVCap, if it's possible or not a major PITA, would it be possible to have the program set the encoder settings in the graph?

I definitely want my recordings to use the Simple GOP setting with IDR and on reboot, power on/off, misc things the Encoder always reverts back to Simple No IDR.
post #2404 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I have a feature request for rcTVCap, if it's possible or not a major PITA, would it be possible to have the program set the encoder settings in the graph?

I definitely want my recordings to use the Simple GOP setting with IDR and on reboot, power on/off, misc things the Encoder always reverts back to Simple No IDR.

What I would find useful is optional time and date tokens in the filename string. Ie, to have the program generate TS files with date and time the recoding was made. So instead of a simple name like "output.ext" you could use "output%Y%M%D%h%m%s.ext" and the program would automatically stick in 2 digit Year, Month, Day (of month), hour, minute, and second values. I have a radio show (via a graph that takes an mms stream and saves as MP3) that I would like to record daily with an automated process. As it is I have to rename the files every day to keep new ones from overwriting the old ones. I'm an old ANSI C programmer so C# string manipulations are foreign to me!
post #2405 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

What I would find useful is optional time and date tokens in the filename string. Ie, to have the program generate TS files with date and time the recoding was made. So instead of a simple name like "output.ext" you could use "output%Y%M%D%h%m%s.ext" and the program would automatically stick in 2 digit Year, Month, Day (of month), hour, minute, and second values. I have a radio show (via a graph that takes an mms stream and saves as MP3) that I would like to record daily with an automated process. As it is I have to rename the files every day to keep new ones from overwriting the old ones. I'm an old ANSI C programmer so C# string manipulations are foreign to me!

You could do that with a batch file pretty easily, couldn't you?
I used to do that with the HDHomerun.

set CapFile=%date:~12,2%%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%_Eureka.tp
HDHRcorder.exe 0 71 9 22:02:00 5002 "C:\\%CapFile%"


I don't know the %time parameters right off hand.
post #2406 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

You could do that with a batch file pretty easily, couldn't you?
I used to do that with the HDHomerun.

set CapFile=%date:~12,2%%date:~4,2%%date:~7,2%_Eureka.tp
HDHRcorder.exe 0 71 9 22:02:00 5002 "C:\\%CapFile%"

Cool, I didn't know SET had date and time handling like that. Thanks!
post #2407 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I have a feature request for rcTVCap, if it's possible or not a major PITA, would it be possible to have the program set the encoder settings in the graph?

I definitely want my recordings to use the Simple GOP setting with IDR and on reboot, power on/off, misc things the Encoder always reverts back to Simple No IDR.

Yeah I'd like that too and maybe the ability to set the quality settings too. Manipulating filter property pages through code are a bit more complex but it's something I want to get more comfortable with. I'll try to take a look at it when I get sometime.
post #2408 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan View Post

Yeah I'd like that too and maybe the ability to set the quality settings too. Manipulating filter property pages through code are a bit more complex but it's something I want to get more comfortable with. I'll try to take a look at it when I get sometime.

Cool, hopefully Hauppauge will include it in a firmware revision or something too, I hate the default, which I suppose is in the firmware of the unit itself. I suspected it was probably more difficult than setting the file name.
post #2409 of 5196
anyone have a suggestion on a new video card for my pc? i currently have a geforce 8500gt that locks up when it wants to and i can't figure out why. i think the card i defective cause it's done it on two pc's. wondering if i should try the same card or a different one.
post #2410 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Create a HD PVR filter graph under Windows XP like this:
10) Right click on a filter and select Filter Properties to configure the filter's settings. I always configure the Encoder filter to use Simple GOP 4/32/128. You also set the bitrates there.
11) Go to File -> Save Graph, save your graph with a suitable name and location.
If you want to test your graph now, press the Play the Graph button. You won't see anything happen but you can stop the graph after a few seconds then go view the TS file that it produced.

Success,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think. In step 10 it refers to a 'filter' and what a filter is I don't know. After a bit of pondering with not too many options left I right clicked one of the boxes. Those boxes are filters??? If one says so. Now do I click all the boxes or just the one called Encoder. I only did the Encode box and only set the Simple GOP 4/32/128. Don't have a clue to any of the other boxes or bit rate. But many thanks for getting me half way up Everest.

Have no idea what/where 'suitable location' means. For now I put it in the same folder where I stored GraphEdit. Do I need to put it where rcTVCap is too?
post #2411 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

Not a different planet, just a bit confused

To say the least. The phrase 'intuitively obvious' is a bit lacking in this case. But I would guess there were many users that said the same about Record_This. Now on to rcTVCap and here's hoping it won't be quite as difficult. I've been recording and watching HD for over 4 years without much difficulty and kinda thought this would be the same. My bad.
post #2412 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDistinction View Post

OK, before I get TOO excited. I read about the SageTV Recorder software and it seems that's all I need for $20. However, is there confirmation that it will work with the new HDPVR? My preliminary search of the Sage forums isn't answering the question.
I ask this because the latest commercial release of SageTV doesn't support the HDPVR. You have to use their latest beta release of SageTV for support of the HDPVR. My gut tells me that the Recorder software may not support the HDPVR if it hasn't been updated to do so.

Still looking for recording software or is Sage working out?
post #2413 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Still looking for recording software or is Sage working out?

Sage has worked for me from the first day I hooked up my HD-PVR. Sage's betas are pretty darn stable so I had no fear of trying it out.
post #2414 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Success,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think. In step 10 it refers to a 'filter' and what a filter is I don't know. After a bit of pondering with not too many options left I right clicked one of the boxes. Those boxes are filters???

Yes, each box is a filter. Building a graph in DirectShow involves locating all the appropriate filters and connecting all the pins. There are often multiple filters that can perform the same function but may be incompatible with other filters in the chain. Now you know why players and conversion programs sometimes have difficulting rendering audio and video files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Now do I click all the boxes or just the one called Encoder. I only did the Encode box and only set the Simple GOP 4/32/128. Don't have a clue to any of the other boxes or bit rate.

Each filter has settings you can configure and/or view. For example, the Crossbar filter allows you to select the component (YPbPr), s-video, or composite inputs on the HD PVR. You should make sure that is set to the correct source. The only things I had to configure were in the Encoder filter, the Simple GOP 4/32/128 and bitrate mode and settings. I usually use Variable Peak mode with both sliders all the way to the right (highest bitrates). You can also change the filename in the File Dump filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Have no idea what/where 'suitable location' means. For now I put it in the same folder where I stored GraphEdit. Do I need to put it where rcTVCap is too?

It's easiest just to put everything in the same folder. If you use different folders you'll have to provide more detailed path specifications when you run everything.
post #2415 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

You can also change the filename in the File Dump filter.
It's easiest just to put everything in the same folder. If you use different folders you'll have to provide more detailed path specifications when you run everything.

Change the filename in the File Dump filter??? Why would I want to do that? I haven't gotten around to installing rcTVCap yet but I assumed that when I schedule it, I put in the command line somewhere the path/filename of the of the program to record. Why would I want to change the filename in the File Dump filter?

Does 'put everything' mean put rcTVCap and the grf file I created in one folder? If there are any other files I don't have a clue,,,,,,, again.

I was thinking along the lines of HDHRCorder and TV2TME.
post #2416 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Change the filename in the File Dump filter??? Why would I want to do that? I haven't gotten around to installing rcTVCap yet but I assumed that when I schedule it, I put in the command line somewhere the path/filename of the of the program to record. Why would I want to change the filename in the File Dump filter?

For example, you could be creating several filter graphs with different bitrates and want to use a different name for each output file. Instead of rebuilding each graph from scratch you could change the bitrate settings in the Encoder filter, change the filename in the File Dump filter, and then Save As Graph each time. Or maybe you just typed the name in wrong when you first added the filter and want to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Does 'put everything' mean put rcTVCap and the grf file I created in one folder? If there are any other files I don't have a clue,,,,,,, again.

I put rcTVCap.exe, DirectShowLib-2005.dll (came with rcTVCap), the GRF file, and a batch file (to run the whole thing) all in the same folder.

The batch file looks like:

rcTVCap Graph.GRF "File Dump" 3600 Output.TS

That will record for one hour and create a file called Output.TS.
post #2417 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

I put rcTVCap.exe, DirectShowLib-2005.dll (came with rcTVCap), the GRF file, and a batch file (to run the whole thing) all in the same folder.
The batch file looks like:
rcTVCap Graph.GRF "File Dump" 3600 Output.TS
That will record for one hour and create a file called Output.TS.

This is/was all looking good. Understand Graph.grf points to the graph file I created wth GraphEdit (I assume/think). Seconds and filename. Can the filename be a full path? I'll put "File Dump" in there and it has something to do with a filter in the graph file but again, not a clue.

But,,,,,,,,,,,,, but Ahhhhh how/where do I specify the channel? If I schedule one program on TNT at 8 and one on USA at 9 how does the channel get changed? I do appreciate the patience to step me thru this.
post #2418 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

...you could be creating several filter graphs with different bitrates... Instead of rebuilding each graph from scratch you could change the bitrate settings in the Encoder filter, ... , and then Save As Graph each time...

FYI, in my testing I found that that tactic does not actually work with this device and driver. No matter what settings were in effect and saved in the particular graph that I open (and yes, the binary graph files actually are different if the settings are different when the graphs are saved), the settings that the HDPVR actually uses are the last ones that I applied through the filter dialogs. So I can't pick a different graph to get a different bit rate, it requires interaction at the keyboard. Quite a PITA that is, too.
post #2419 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Understand Graph.grf points to the graph file I created wth GraphEdit (I assume/think).

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

Can the filename be a full path?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

I'll put "File Dump" in there and it has something to do with a filter in the graph file but again, not a clue.

"File Dump" is the name of the filter at the end of the graph. rcTVCap has to know the name of that filter in order reach inside it and alter the name of the file it outputs. If you followed my instructions to build the graph you used the filter called "File Dump".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDB View Post

how/where do I specify the channel? If I schedule one program on TNT at 8 and one on USA at 9 how does the channel get changed? I do appreciate the patience to step me thru this.

I don't think that filter graph will allow you to specify the channel (there is something about channels in the Caputure Device filter though, maybe that does something?). It might be easiest to just program your cable/sat box to switch the channels at the right time. Or you may be able to add something to the batch file to switch channels? Does Hauppauge, ArcSoft or somebody else supply a CLI channel changer app?
post #2420 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

FYI, in my testing I found that that tactic does not actually work with this device and driver. No matter what settings were in effect and saved in the particular graph that I open (and yes, the binary graph files actually are different if the settings are different when the graphs are saved), the settings that the HDPVR actually uses are the last ones that I applied through the filter dialogs. So I can't pick a different graph to get a different bit rate, it requires interaction at the keyboard. Quite a PITA that is, too.

Ahh, good to know. I should have guessed that because I know the GOP type setting isn't saved in the graph.
post #2421 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wokwokabc View Post

Ahh, good to know. I should have guessed that because I know the GOP type setting isn't saved in the graph.

I think the bitrate setting at least stays put after you set them, whereas the GOP setting always resets to the Simple GOP no IDR setting after reboot and/or other misc changes.
post #2422 of 5196
Hi

I have just tried to burn the video file I created. The file is a 2hr recording on default settings (1080i) and is about 7.7GB. I have not edited the file in any way. When I try to create the AVCHD disc, TME tells me it needs over 15GB of space!

I took the advice I was given and tried to burn it to the hard drive, incase it was just a bug in the program. However, after almost an hour, TME said it was only 8% through creating the AVCHD file and when I checked the hard disc it had already used over 1GB of space. Surely this is wrong. The fact it is taking so long and using almost 80% of the CPU resources on my Quad Core machine makes me think it is re-encoding the whole file.

I thought the program just used the recorded files and didn't need to re-encode them.

Please help someone - what am I doing wrong?

All I want to do is burn the 7.7GB file I recorded to a Dual Layer DVD. I do not want to re-encode the video or anything like that.
post #2423 of 5196
Just to add a bit more detail to my strange problem.

I recorded about 5 mins of HD footage at default settings (1080i) from SkySports. The file was about 300MB and when I created an AVCHD disc on the hard drive it was fine. The disc was only about 330MB and it created very quickly (obviously no re-encoding).

I then recorded about 5 mins of HD footage using the same settings but from a movie on SkyMovies. Again the file was about 300MB. When I tried to create the AVCHD disc, this time it said it would need over 600MB (double the space again) and this time it was re-encoding the file really slowly!

What is going on? Is Sky Movies using some sort of protection which is making the file re-encode?
post #2424 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I think the bitrate setting at least stays put after you set them, whereas the GOP setting always resets to the Simple GOP no IDR setting after reboot and/or other misc changes.

Yeah, it stays set on the device. It also stays set in the graph. But the device rules, and the value in the graph does not apply. The scenario at issue here is like this:

1. create a capture graph, use the filter prop dialog to set the bitrate to 13.5, save the graph as br135.grf

2. create a second capture graph, use the filter prop dialog to set the bitrate to 12.0, save the graph as br120.grf

3. use my favorite graph running software to load and run br135.grf

Result: a file that is captured at 12.0, that is the last setting that was applied by hand in the dialog, not 13.5, which the setting in the graph that I ran.

What I/we want it to do in this scenario is to capture at 13.5, in order to be able to capture with varying settings using command-line or other capture sw that runs unattended.
post #2425 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourdel View Post

Just to add a bit more detail to my strange problem.

I recorded about 5 mins of HD footage at default settings (1080i) from SkySports. The file was about 300MB and when I created an AVCHD disc on the hard drive it was fine. The disc was only about 330MB and it created very quickly (obviously no re-encoding).

I then recorded about 5 mins of HD footage using the same settings but from a movie on SkyMovies. Again the file was about 300MB. When I tried to create the AVCHD disc, this time it said it would need over 600MB (double the space again) and this time it was re-encoding the file really slowly!

What is going on? Is Sky Movies using some sort of protection which is making the file re-encode?

Since the HDPVR is encoding the entire program from analog, there is not much that SM could be doing to "protect" it; AFAIK there's no evidence that the HDPVR or ArcSoft pays any attention to any flags in the vertical blanking interval.

So I'm afraid you've fallen into a black hole of sorts. I had this "random decision to re-encode" a couple of times, but I don't know what caused it, and it did not re-occur reliably. What to do? I have some suggestions, but not a good answer really... First, be sure of "good hygiene" - e.g always close the entire Arcsoft app and start it fresh for each production. Second, poke around in the few options and project settings in TMS. Third, try looking for clues by checking out the properties of the different captures with a tool like MediaInfo; for instance some 1080i source material has 1080 scan lines, some has 1084, some has 1088, and maybe you'll see a systematic difference in characteristics between what works and what doesn't. Fourth, just try again - every once in a while you are going to get a bad capture from the device.

BTW, I've several times had processes that seemed to work on short test files (two to ten minutes) that simply failed on full length ones. Based on my experience, I use 15 minutes as the minimum length for a test clip, when trying to see if a particular process works.
post #2426 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Since the HDPVR is encoding the entire program from analog, there is not much that SM could be doing to "protect" it; AFAIK there's no evidence that the HDPVR or ArcSoft pays any attention to any flags in the vertical blanking interval.

So I'm afraid you've fallen into a black hole of sorts. I had this "random decision to re-encode" a couple of times, but I don't know what caused it, and it did not re-occur reliably. What to do? I have some suggestions, but not a good answer really... First, be sure of "good hygiene" - e.g always close the entire Arcsoft app and start it fresh for each production. Second, poke around in the few options and project settings in TMS. Third, try looking for clues by checking out the properties of the different captures with a tool like MediaInfo; for instance some 1080i source material has 1080 scan lines, some has 1084, some has 1088, and maybe you'll see a systematic difference in characteristics between what works and what doesn't. Fourth, just try again - every once in a while you are going to get a bad capture from the device.

BTW, I've several times had processes that seemed to work on short test files (two to ten minutes) that simply failed on full length ones. Based on my experience, I use 15 minutes as the minimum length for a test clip, when trying to see if a particular process works.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am baffled. Just tried it with 3 different movies from SkyMovies HD and I got the same problem on all 3 (file needed re-encoding and file size doubling). When I tested clips from SkySports HD and BBC HD, the clips transferred to AVCHD discs fine! It must be something to do with the SkyMovies HD videos but I didn't think, like you said, that analogue copy protection existed?

I have emailed Hauppauge and asked for a refund (if they can't fix this problem).
post #2427 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinsguy View Post

anyone have a suggestion on a new video card for my pc? i currently have a geforce 8500gt that locks up when it wants to and i can't figure out why. i think the card i defective cause it's done it on two pc's. wondering if i should try the same card or a different one.

My 8500gt did that also. But never a problem when I swapped it for a 8600
post #2428 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourdel View Post

It must be something to do with the SkyMovies HD videos but I didn't think, like you said, that analogue copy protection existed?

I don't know if SkyMovies HD uses it, but analog copy protection does exist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

Fortunately, the HD PVR ignores it.
post #2429 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjourdel View Post

Thanks for your suggestions. I am baffled. Just tried it with 3 different movies from SkyMovies HD and I got the same problem on all 3 (file needed re-encoding and file size doubling). When I tested clips from SkySports HD and BBC HD, the clips transferred to AVCHD discs fine! It must be something to do with the SkyMovies HD videos but I didn't think, like you said, that analogue copy protection existed?

I have emailed Hauppauge and asked for a refund (if they can't fix this problem).

Refund so soon? Hauppauge are buried in issues and the need to fulfill their commitment to provide a new driver release with 5.1 support - months behind schedule - so don't expect them jump on your issue if they don't already have an answer for it.

This is still early days for this product, and many (most? all?) users have some parts of what they were trying to do with it or bundled sw just not work. Many (most? but sadly not all) users have found ways around issues with the bundle to get what they want from the device.

So please consider, if you do succeed in burning AVCHD discs, what exactly do you intend to do with said disc? If for example your answer is "play in a PS3", there are other ways to get there...

PS I didn't intend to say analog CP "does not exist", rather that it seems to be ignored.

PPS Does you Sky decoder always ouput the same video resolution, or does it change with the program? Maybe try capturing a chunk out of the middle of a movie, so you would not catch any transition at the start? Also, does you movie play back OK on the PC in ArcSoft totalmediatheatre?
post #2430 of 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tom View Post

Refund so soon? Hauppauge are buried in issues and the need to fulfill their commitment to provide a new driver release with 5.1 support - months behind schedule - so don't expect them jump on your issue if they don't already have an answer for it.

This is still early days for this product, and many (most? all?) users have some parts of what they were trying to do with it or bundled sw just not work. Many (most? but sadly not all) users have found ways around issues with the bundle to get what they want from the device.

So please consider, if you do succeed in burning AVCHD discs, what exactly do you intend to do with said disc? If for example your answer is "play in a PS3", there are other ways to get there...

PS I didn't intend to say analog CP "does not exist", rather that it seems to be ignored.

PPS Does you Sky decoder always ouput the same video resolution, or does it change with the program? Maybe try capturing a chunk out of the middle of a movie, so you would not catch any transition at the start? Also, does you movie play back OK on the PC in ArcSoft totalmediatheatre?

Thanks again for your help. I tried it again on some short 6 minute clips from the movie channels and it worked fine on some of them this time! Unfortunately it does seem as though the software is full of bugs at the moment. My Sky box is set to output 1080i all the time so that shouldn't be the problem.

I have decided to return the unit to Hauppauge for a refund because for me, at the moment, it does not do what I want it to reliably. However, in a few months time when the software and drivers have been updated I may look again. It certainly has the potential to be an excellent product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hauppauge WinTV HD PVR (H.264) screenshot