or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains  

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Don't know why I'm watching so many documentaries lately but I am. This one "Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains" I found interesting but at times very very slow.

If you don't like Jimmy Carter you probably won't like this documentary. Heck even if you like Jimmy Carter you may not like this documentary. It's very slow and drags in parts and the subject matter is presented in a more complicated manner than it could have been presented, but at least he is presenting the topic, one that most Americans have very little knowledge of, for discussion.

What I also found interesting in addition to the subject matter was the way in which Jimmy Carter lives his life. Although a former president of the USA and a Nobel Peace Prize winner he lives a very simple life devoted to his family, friends and what he can do for others. It was very interesting, at least to me, watching his travels and how he interacted with the individuals he met. I know I'm in the minority but I believe, while not a great president, he wasn't bad. His actions since leaving office show what a truely great man he is.
post #2 of 11
Were I to watch this, it would be based on who directed it, rather than whom it is documenting. Demme movies are consistently entertaining. However, your comments suggest that with this particular subject, even Demme may have fallen short in that department. The other quality such a documentary should have would be the ability to enlighten, but I know more than I'd have wished to know about the subject of this one.
post #3 of 11
In light of this thread I popped over to Youtube and just watched the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZjOs7XZAU
post #4 of 11
Though, to be fair, the real problem is that being a 'good' president pretty much means not being a truly decent person. Carter was a truly decent person, and therefore not a very good president. I think that the problem lies more in the office than the man.
post #5 of 11
I willl watch it on Cable sometime, I love Jimmy.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Carter was a truly decent person...

President Carter is still with us. Unlike the iconic Chuck Heston, whom I ventured onto the board to honor with a brief post, only to find a thread on him had already been started and stopped for political nonsense. Rats!

As for the decency of the "Man from Plains," many share that view. He usually appears quite humble, and interested in the plight of others. Those are traits rightly associated with decency. President Carter has tested my impression of him, however, with some of his actions. May it suffice to observe that as all men, Jimmy Carter is multi-layered.
post #7 of 11
I meant when he was in office. I wasn't implying he'd stopped breathing or anything. Multi-layered though he may be, and no one is perfect, I think that he's walking the walk while a lot of other presidents (and most people of course) only talk (often a lot of loud talk.) If everyone on the planet contributed as much as he has (scaled to their abiltiy to do so of course), I think we'd be a lot better off.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

I meant when he was in office. I wasn't implying he'd stopped breathing or anything. Multi-layered though he may be, and no one is perfect, I think that he's walking the walk while a lot of other presidents (and most people of course) only talk (often a lot of loud talk.) If everyone on the planet contributed as much as he has (scaled to their abiltiy to do so of course), I think we'd be a lot better off.

+1, Absolutely. He's always been one of the good guys and is immensely respected around the world, and his presidency wasn't the train wreck many like to claim, especially when measured against, ah, let's just say more recent occupiers (no pun intended) of that Office. He was tasked with cleaning up the mess left behind by Nixon, a difficult job by any measure. Nice to see a film celebrate his accomplishments and character.
post #9 of 11
Watch the DVD, take your personal opinions of the man somewhere else. Otherwise someone will comment on your opinion and not the DVD. What's the problem with you guys? Is this what you think as fun or enjoyment? Funny as it's always the same people...

larry
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Watch the DVD, take your personal opinions of the man somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post

I believe, while not a great president, he wasn't bad. His actions since leaving office show what a truely great man he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Carter was a truly decent person, and therefore not a very good president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Multi-layered though he may be, and no one is perfect, I think that he's walking the walk while a lot of other presidents (and most people of course) only talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

He's always been one of the good guys and is immensely respected around the world, and his presidency wasn't the train wreck many like to claim, especially when measured against, ah, let's just say more recent occupiers (no pun intended) of that Office. He was tasked with cleaning up the mess left behind by Nixon, a difficult job by any measure.

My follow-up post, which avoided even mentioning former President Carter, was deleted, and was therefore apparently the object of Larry's post. Draw your own conclusions.
post #11 of 11
Some people just can't let things go. I try and be nice and roll back to where people were nice to each other then somebody just can't leave it be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Jimmy Carter: Man from Plains