or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo/Integra direct firmware updates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Onkyo/Integra direct firmware updates - Page 9

post #241 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

But if somehow joerod gets his hands on the main firmware 1.08, then it would be possible to update on an individual basis. No need to ship it back to Onkyo's service center.

All one would need is a USB-to-Serial cable and update via laptop/pc...

fingers crossed... toes crossed... on knees with hands folded...
post #242 of 4203
the only reason the firmware 1.08 update will not be released to us lot due to it maybe a hardware update . that can not be fixed with a firmware. this should not be the case as the amp has been out 6 months
post #243 of 4203
After trying multiple DVD players I got one that would read the DSP update CD and had an optical connection. Got the DSP update through with no problems after that.

I'm now trying to update my 875 from 1.01 to 1.04. The updater software seems to begin to communicate with the receiver, but then does nothing. I've ensured they're on matching com ports and the baud rates are identical. I've rebooted the laptop to ensure there's nothing in the way there.

When I press the "Main Update" button in the update application, either nothing happens, or
- the updater app reads Update Request Receive (F00000005), and
- the receiver's display shows Search F/W

Twice I've left it on the latter for over 30 minutes and given up.

Has anyone else run into and solved this? Should I skip this update and go straight from 1.01 to 1.07?
post #244 of 4203
I'll answer my own question in hopes of minimizing someone else's frustration.

I just decided to skip the 1.04 update and go straight to the 1.07 update. Got basically the same updater app for both. And the second one also sat there and did nothing for a long time.

Problem was that I couldn't be sure it was doing nothing. I did take a risk and interrupted it on more than one occasion--or maybe I was just stopping and restarting (since I didn't know if it was doing anything I didn't know whether rebooting the laptop was an interruption to the process).

Finally got it running, though I'm not sure what did the trick. A couple of my own lessons learned.

1# It's not critical to set the baud rates for the com port and updater. I carefully set them to the same thing repeatedly. I tried 9600, 38400, and 57600 and got nothing with each. In the case that my update finally started to run I had them both set to 9600--but guess what! During the run I checked the baud rate on the updater and it had changed itself to 38400. Apparently they negotiate speed so your setting it is probably not needed. One less thing to worry about.

2# If the updater sits there with no sign of progress for more than, say, 2 minutes, then it's probably doing nothing. When my updater finally worked, it fairly quickly showed:
- Update Request Receive (F00000005)
- Firmware List Send
- Firmware List Receive
- Firmware Send (01000000)

About this time the receiver's display showed "Erase" (or "Erasing", not sure) with a numeric countdown: 7, 6, 5, etc. I'm not sure what number it started at, but the numbers were changing faster than one per second.

Next, the receiver display went to "Write" (or "Writing") with a very quick rifling through what I took to be module names or versions. At the same time, the lower-right line in the updater window showed an upward numeric progression. This was happening at a very quick pace, say 10 per second.


So, again, if the updater window appears to be doing nothing for more than a minute or so, based on my experience, it's doing nothing.

I wish I could say what combination of steps I took got it to finally go through, but I can't.

Soon I'll know whether I've successfully updated to 1.07.
post #245 of 4203
I've got it. A fair amount of frustration, but everyone's comments and suggestions and come in very handy.

On my 875, both DSP and Main updates have been applied. Hopefully this will fix my muting problem!

Thank you all!
post #246 of 4203
Well I got a little excited and upgraded my 875 straight from 1.02 to 1.07. I had neglected to read the directions carefully and missed the recommendation to go through 1.04 for the 875. I was using a laptop with a serial port and everything seemed to go smoothly. I got the 'complete' indication and the receiver powered off. I pulled the power cord then plugged it back in and when I powered it on I got an error... I should have written it down but it was something like 'EEPROM2 Error'... I don't know that it said EEPROM exactly, but it was some sort of chip error. Other than that the receiver seemed to be operating more or less normally. It had wiped my settings unlike other peoples reports and sometimes had a hard time locking on the HDMI audio. I re-did the flash procedure to 1.07 again and it worked smoothly again. This time however after powering it back on I didn't get the chip error and my few settings that I'd re-done had not been erased. It seems to be working normally now and it's definately reporting Main 1.07.

On the first attempt when hitting display and standby to check the firmware version I sometimes saw 1.07 and sometimes it just said 'UNKNOWN'. Now it seems to show 1.07 every time.

The only thing that I'm confused about now, is that I'm not sure how to get to the new REON settings. in the 905 directions attached to the first post it says they should be in the first setup menu but I'm not seeing them. Are they in a different place on the 875? My first menu only has 5 options instead of 6 like the 905 directions imply.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll answer my own question... apparently on the 875 it's a hidden menu... on the remote, holding the 'display' button for a few seconds brings up a menu on the front panel display which lets you set all the REON goodies. Thanks for the firmware!!!
post #247 of 4203
To answer my own question, the firmware and DSP upgrades seem to be working fine on a south east asian Onkyo 875.

The upgrades were fairly painless as well. especially with the great settings for using the PS3 to do the DSP upgrade.
post #248 of 4203
I can't get my 805 to update. Maybe I am missing something here.
Turned on the 805, waited 10 sec. , press display and power. In 3 sec. press tone, then return. And I played the DVDs. But I am not getting the update screen. Yes, I have the players connected via OPT1.
My 805 is the very first batch from J&R.
What is in the screen after pressing the Return bottom?

Thanks
post #249 of 4203
This is from Audyssey. I knew about the loss of Audyssey data. What are the other issues? Is the fimrware being distributed to eralers this week the same as the 1.07 and dsp we have just used to update our 9.8's and 885P's?

Joel


Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

We have been informed by Integra that the official firmware update was just received (this week) and is being distributed to their dealer and service network. There have been unauthorized and untested versions of the firmware distributed through this forum. These resulted in several problems including wiping out MultEQ Pro installations. Although these firmware changes have nothing to do with Audyssey, we received emails from people who lost their data because the update cleared the flash memory on the DSP. Please be aware that the only official (and supported) method for this and other updates is via the Integra dealer network.

Chris
post #250 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwrad View Post

I can't get my 805 to update. Maybe I am missing something here.
Turned on the 805, waited 10 sec. , press display and power. In 3 sec. press tone, then return. And I played the DVDs. But I am not getting the update screen. Yes, I have the players connected via OPT1.
My 805 is the very first batch from J&R.
What is in the screen after pressing the Return bottom?

Thanks

The 3 sec. thing, don't wait 3 seconds, press it as soon as possible within 3 seconds. If you do that you should see the dsp firmware version. then press return. If you don't see the firmware version number you probably didn't press the "tone +" button fast enough. BTW I have a 885 and there is no "tone +" button. For the 885 it is the button directly under the button labeled "tone" which IIRC is an arrow pointing to the right.
post #251 of 4203
PLEASE HELP

I successfully updated my 875 to main firmware v1.07 last night. This morning I'm trying to upgrade the DSP. I can get to the DSP version page fine, and hit enter and then the display says "F/W UpdateMode". I then played the disc on my Xbox 360 and it never changed from "F/W UpdateMode". Eventually I just powered off the 875. Problem is now when I go to check the DSP version I get:

DSP 1st
??????? ????????

And now I get no audio unless I feed it analog and set to Direct mode... Obviously my DSP is corrupt now. DSP 2nd and 3rd still show version numbers normally. I re-tried on my media PC and still couldn't get past F/W UpdateMode... I even went to walmart and bought a new Sony DVD player so I could make sure I'm doing this right and even that can't get past F/W UpdateMode...

I'll try re-burning the disk, I know I burned it as an audio disk and it plays fine in all players with a length of 1:04... If that doesn't work I'm worried I'm sunk and will have to send my receiver back! PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: Ugh... I burned a new disc using a different computer and still can't get past "F/W UpdateMode"... but if I could never get past that in the first place then why did it corrupt or change DSP 1st??? I'm starting to feel screwed.
post #252 of 4203
EskimoPie

I didnt see what you used to burn the disc. You might try imgburn
I had problems getting my DSP to work when I used WMP. I used the info below and it work fine.

Brad






Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

Since there were no instructions on how to build the disc for the DSP upgrade other than use some buring app to do it, here is how I did it with free software:
  1. Download imgburn from the website it is free.
  2. Install it and run it. Make sure you've unzipped the DSP firmware files you need.
  3. In the imgburn menu select "Tools"->"Create CD cue file..."
  4. When that interface pops up drag the wav file you extracted for the dsp upgrade into that interface.
  5. You don't need to set any other options here. Just press OK and it'll prompt you to where to save the .cue file. If you just press the save button it'll save it to the same place the wav file is located.
  6. Once you have the cue file click the "Write image file to disc" button. Or you can select "Mode"->"Write" from the menu.
  7. Now in this interface you can browse for the .cue file you made by pressing the browse button (folder icon where it says source) or you can just drag and drop the .cue file you made to the same area to load it.
  8. Now just put in a disc and press the write button.
post #253 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by boster View Post

When I press the "Main Update" button in the update application, either nothing happens, or
- the updater app reads Update Request Receive (F00000005), and
- the receiver's display shows Search F/W

Twice I've left it on the latter for over 30 minutes and given up.

Has anyone else run into and solved this? Should I skip this update and go straight from 1.01 to 1.07?

I ran into this same problem, and in the end the solution was to change the IRQ settings for my serial port in my computer's BIOS. After changing the BIOS setting I rebooted and it worked perfectly. Now running on v1.07 on my 875.
post #254 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post
PLEASE HELP

I successfully updated my 875 to main firmware v1.07 last night. This morning I'm trying to upgrade the DSP. I can get to the DSP version page fine, and hit enter and then the display says "F/W UpdateMode". I then played the disc on my Xbox 360 and it never changed from "F/W UpdateMode". Eventually I just powered off the 875. Problem is now when I go to check the DSP version I get:

DSP 1st
??????? ????????

And now I get no audio unless I feed it analog and set to Direct mode... Obviously my DSP is corrupt now. DSP 2nd and 3rd still show version numbers normally. I re-tried on my media PC and still couldn't get past F/W UpdateMode... I even went to walmart and bought a new Sony DVD player so I could make sure I'm doing this right and even that can't get past F/W UpdateMode...

I'll try re-burning the disk, I know I burned it as an audio disk and it plays fine in all players with a length of 1:04... If that doesn't work I'm worried I'm sunk and will have to send my receiver back! PLEASE HELP!

EDIT: Ugh... I burned a new disc using a different computer and still can't get past "F/W UpdateMode"... but if I could never get past that in the first place then why did it corrupt or change DSP 1st??? I'm starting to feel screwed.
The front of the 875 should read: S/PDIF Update not "F/W UpdateMode" .

Are you sure you are following the right directions?

 

DSP UPG CU eng.pdf 35.2998046875k . file
post #255 of 4203
Well I pulled the power cord and when I plugged it back in my DSP1st was back to normal. I'm thinking maybe my new Sony DVD player just isn't compatiable. It has a setting for 48Khz PCM and 96, but no 44... think that's the problem?

JVi, yes, those are the directions I'm using. here is the text...

Within 3 seconds, press the Tone + button. Now the display showing the DSP 1 st firmware version, press the Return button on the Receiver, then press Play on the CD Player. The Receiver's display will now say S/PDIF Update

I see the DSP 1st firmware version, then after pressing return it goes to F/W UpdateMode... I'm guessing after seeing the correct PCM data from the player it goes to S/PDIF Update which seems to be the part that isn't working for me.
post #256 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

Well I pulled the power cord and when I plugged it back in my DSP1st was back to normal. I'm thinking maybe my new Sony DVD player just isn't compatiable. It has a setting for 48Khz PCM and 96, but no 44... think that's the problem?

JVi, yes, those are the directions I'm using. here is the text...

Within 3 seconds, press the Tone + button. Now the display showing the DSP 1 st firmware version, press the Return button on the Receiver, then press Play on the CD Player. The Receiver's display will now say S/PDIF Update

I see the DSP 1st firmware version, then after pressing return it goes to F/W UpdateMode... I'm guessing after seeing the correct PCM data from the player it goes to S/PDIF Update which seems to be the part that isn't working for me.

In your first post you said you hit "enter"...make sure you are hitting "return" and not "enter"....I seem to recall a post a few weeks back where someone was doing the same thing and he even mentioned thinking in terms of a PC and that "return" and "enter" were one and the same.

Just a thought...I don't think it requires a signal at all in order to get into S/PDIF update mode so for some reason yours is not going into the correct update mode.
post #257 of 4203
Bluemoon, i bet you're exactly right... I'll give that a shot and I bet it works fine!
post #258 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post

In your first post you said you hit "enter"...make sure you are hitting "return" and not "enter"....I seem to recall a post a few weeks back where someone was doing the same thing and he even mentioned thinking in terms of a PC and that "return" and "enter" were one and the same.

Just a thought...I don't think it requires a signal at all in order to get into S/PDIF update mode so for some reason yours is not going into the correct update mode.

Yeah, that was me. Hours of frustration. If you see "F/W UpdateMode" and not "S/PDIF Update" you are hitting "enter" and not "return."
post #259 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Yeah, that was me. Hours of frustration. If you see "F/W UpdateMode" and not "S/PDIF Update" you are hitting "enter" and not "return."


It's amazing how we can fool ourselves into thinking we are following instructions exactly as they are written (usually because they "seem" so simple)...we've all done it.
post #260 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post

It's amazing how we can fool ourselves into thinking we are following instructions exactly as they are written (usually because they "seem" so simple)...we've all done it.

You are way too understanding. If you want a a good visual of how it was that day, picture Chris Farley hitting himself in the head in "Danny Boy."
post #261 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

You are way too understanding. If you want a a good visual of how it was that day, picture Chris Farley hitting himself in the head in "Danny Boy."


LOL! I can certainly understand...(not to throw salt in the wound, but it was Tommy Boy )
post #262 of 4203
OK, I am confused. I called Integra support and they said the 1.08 release DOES NOT support the 9.8, and that a 9.8 release is slated within a month. Was I talking to a doofus, or did I miss something on this thread?

Anyone know about this?

My unit is at 1.05, and I'd love to speed up the audio sync and add some of the Reon functions, but this makes me apprehensive. I have a service center 7 miles away, since it's a warranty upgrade to address the audio glitches with DTS (I assume), I may go that route, as the upgrade looks like a PITA.
post #263 of 4203
After lots of trial and errors I finally updated the DSP settings and the main firmware in my Onkyo 905 from 1.06 to 1.08.
However the lip sync delay is still wrong. When I play sound from the hi def cable box via optical cable de speech is delayed compared to the sound coming from the tv itself. The AVSync is on and the delay setting is 0. Increasing that value makes the delay worse.
Another issue remains unsolved. If I try to play a music cd in the blu ray player through the HDMI connection I get sound only in the TV is on. If I turn the TV off the sound stops a second later. I have to play sound through the coaxial connection.
Anyone has a suggestion about how to address these issues?
Thanks in advance.
post #264 of 4203


Gurkey you DA man!

Thanks to your wonderful posts and instructions I successfully updated my Integra DTR-8.8 with the new DSP. I am still a but gunshy on the firmware.

Just FYI for all:
Just as gurkey with his 905 my 8.8 read updating all DSP 1-3 but only DSP one actually updated with new ver number so presumably all of my others DSP2 and 3 were up to date.

The update process also stopped after updating DSP1.....3 and the display kept saying updating....
After 10 minutes I hit the power button, it quickly said clear and all settings were lost.

It works wonderfully now but I did need to restore all of my custom settings and Audessy calibration was lost also.

Oh, more work to do...


Huzah! for Gurkey.
post #265 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post

LOL! I can certainly understand...(not to throw salt in the wound, but it was Tommy Boy )

It was indeed. Long as you got the reference. . . .
post #266 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

It was indeed. Long as you got the reference. . . .

Oh yes, I know the scene well (and have felt that way too many times to count).
post #267 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5 View Post

.
Another issue remains unsolved. If I try to play a music cd in the blu ray player through the HDMI connection I get sound only in the TV is on. If I turn the TV off the sound stops a second later. I have to play sound through the coaxial connection.
Anyone has a suggestion about how to address these issues?
Thanks in advance.

ad5:

Welcome. The later is a known issue. This is a function of copy protection with HDMI connections - HDMI has to sense a termination of the output or it interrupts playback (or so I understand). You can go into the menus and try and disable HDMI audio out when playing CDs. That will disable output of any sound to a monitor/TV and should enable the playback of CD/Audio via HDMI without interruptions. If that does not work then you will have to leave your monitor on for CD playback through HDMI.
post #268 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

OK, I am confused. I called Integra support and they said the 1.08 release DOES NOT support the 9.8, and that a 9.8 release is slated within a month. Was I talking to a doofus, or did I miss something on this thread?

Anyone know about this?

My unit is at 1.05, and I'd love to speed up the audio sync and add some of the Reon functions, but this makes me apprehensive. I have a service center 7 miles away, since it's a warranty upgrade to address the audio glitches with DTS (I assume), I may go that route, as the upgrade looks like a PITA.

The update for the 9.8 is not the 905/8.8 version 1.08, it is the 875/9.8/885 version 1.07. The DSP upgrade is the one for the TXSR 705, not the TX SR 605.

All instructions I received for both the DSP and the Firmware 1.07 upgrade for the 9.8 worked well - EXCEPT to start the firmware upgrade you hold the TUNE UP button, not the ENTER button to put the 9.8 into the Main Update Mode.

I just completed mine. I used an Arcam CD192 for the DSP upgrade, and like several users, the unit did not switch off automatically at the end of the DSP update, but I followed the instructions by waiting the 10 minutes and it worked fine.

The firmware 1.07 update went well, my computer uses a serial port, so I did not have to worry about a USB to serial adaptor and I alreay had a standard serial cable (NOT a Null cable).

Mike
post #269 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

ad5:

Welcome. The later is a known issue. This is a function of copy protection with HDMI connections - HDMI has to sense a termination of the output or it interrupts playback (or so I understand). You can go into the menus and try and disable HDMI audio out when playing CDs. That will disable output of any sound to a monitor/TV and should enable the playback of CD/Audio via HDMI without interruptions. If that does not work then you will have to leave your monitor on for CD playback through HDMI.

The usual recommendation is to temporarily turn HDMI Monitor off, not HDMI Audio.
post #270 of 4203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5 View Post

Another issue remains unsolved. If I try to play a music cd in the blu ray player through the HDMI connection I get sound only in the TV is on. If I turn the TV off the sound stops a second later. I have to play sound through the coaxial connection.
Anyone has a suggestion about how to address these issues?
Thanks in advance.

What is the problem with using the Coaxial connection? It avoids all issues with the HDCP of the HDMI connection as well as all of the handshaking problems the HDMI spec. The combination of these two is what is giving you the problem. Determining actually which component is terminating the HDMI audio is impossible for the end user--- DVD player, AVR or the TV.

When you use the coax connection, there is no handshaking. Your display can be off (saving energy and increasing the life of it). Only downside is that you have to change the input on the AVR.

It is a shame that HDMI does not work the way we consumers would like it but I am afraid it will never do what we would like because of HDCP. The movie studios are the ones with the big clout on the HDMI spec panel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo/Integra direct firmware updates