or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › Series 3 vs HD vs SA box
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Series 3 vs HD vs SA box

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Folks:
I'm going to throw this to you all, since I can't make up my own mind. I've just returned home after more than a year away. I got rid of the DVR when I left (housesitter wasn't interested). After listening to all the talk, I'm about ready to drop money on a Tivo. The local Cox rep on the phone said that CableCard was available and could be installed at any time (this without any doubletalk).

So, what do you all think: Series 3 or HD? I'm dropping 3 grand on a speaker/AVR upgrade, so sound quality will be a factor. But the Series 3 appears to be at EOL, and it is a significant amount of money for a relatively minor upgrade. I'll check back at tomorrow PM, and I'll probably go with the majority.
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf_Brim View Post

So, what do you all think: Series 3 or HD? I'm dropping 3 grand on a speaker/AVR upgrade, so sound quality will be a factor. But the Series 3 appears to be at EOL, and it is a significant amount of money for a relatively minor upgrade. I'll check back at tomorrow PM, and I'll probably go with the majority.

While I'm very happy with my Series 3 (which I purchased about a year and a half ago now, at original full price; no, still not sorry I did), at this point, I see no reason to avoid the TiVo HD. Given that eSATA is officially supported now (although only with officially supported drives on the TiVo HD without a bit of hacking), unless the somewhat larger internal drive, OLED display, or Glo remote really turns your head, the TiVo HD is a fine choice. The fact that you're considering a TiVo probably means you won't be satisfied at all with SA's DVR boxes (you don't mention it in the body, but I notice it in the subject).
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Before I left I had one of the Cox SA boxes. It was OK. Just OK. I never really had any problems with it. It tuned fine, and recorded what I wanted. Most of the time. There were some problems when watching one HD program while another was being recorded, or recording two at once.

It's just now the prices have come down on Tivos, the CableCard fiasco has pretty much worked itself out, and Cox has increased prices on the DVR service and box rental so I'd only be paying a few bucks more a month. The main thing that the SA boxes have going for them is convenience. I just take the old box to the office and pick up the DVR. Plug it in and it will (most likely) work. Don't have to deal with guying the Tivo, arranging service, figuring out how to get internet to the box, arranging for the installer, and praying everything works.

So, it seems like the HD is the way to go. Is there anything to the THX certification on the Series 3, or is that just a label on the box and not really something I'd notice?
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf_Brim View Post

So, it seems like the HD is the way to go. Is there anything to the THX certification on the Series 3, or is that just a label on the box and not really something I'd notice?

It's probably not anything you'd notice; unless you have very high-end THX certified gear throughout your A/V system (I don't), it's probably not going to give you anything but warm fuzzies. (And of course, the startup video with the THX logo and sound; that is kinda cool...) It's just a certification about reproduction quality - and really, there are other links in the chain that matter more (especially if you're streaming DD audio to your receiver).
post #5 of 6
Don't know if it's an issue, but anything with a CableCard is going to have a broadcast flag on. That means NO archiving. Used to archive racing on my Tivo2, but the exact same program won't through my Tivo3. Major disappointment. But that's the price of getting HD...
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henway View Post

Don't know if it's an issue, but anything with a CableCard is going to have a broadcast flag on. That means NO archiving. Used to archive racing on my Tivo2, but the exact same program won't through my Tivo3. Major disappointment. But that's the price of getting HD...

Um... I think you've misunderstood entirely. That depends vastly on your provider; CCI (copy control) flags *can* prevent you from downloading some shows, depending on how your provider sets them. However, my provider actually doesn't set CCI 0x02 (copy once) or CCI 0x03 (copy never) on any programs; I download shows from HDnet, HBO, and other stations with impunity - 720p, 1080i, whatever. Really, it's about the best deal going - there's no other DVR which will let you do that at all. (And IEEE1394 madness barely counts, just because of the complexity of making it work ever - assuming your provider can be bothered to follow that particular mandate.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › Series 3 vs HD vs SA box