or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Firmware 2.3x - Master Thread [FIRMWARE TALK ONLY PLEASE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 Firmware 2.3x - Master Thread [FIRMWARE TALK ONLY PLEASE] - Page 9

post #241 of 1585
I watched Crank which has PCM 6.1 but my Onkyo showed PCM 7.1. Did anyone experience the same thing?
post #242 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I'm definitely getting ZERO sound from my rear 2 speakers in Hairspray. Wow, I'm actually really saddened by this. I was SO excited to finally be getting 7.1. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be really upset by tomorrow...

My Yamaha receiver is receiving 7.1 PCM from PS3 when I choose 7.1 tracks.
I'm trying different contents from DTS Demo disc (clips from Hairspray, Rush Hour) and it works properly.
It also receives 6.1 PCM when playing the 6.1 DTS-MA track.
post #243 of 1585
Galapagos and Sharkwater still playback at 1080/60i, so it doesn't deinterlace 1080/60i BD discs yet. Not that it makes too much difference if you have a decent display but for those curious 2.30 does not output 1080/60i data as 1080/60p, it's still 1080/60i.
post #244 of 1585
I just downloaded it and wow im impressed. I tested out fly boys the dog fight scene and its amazing! Thank you sony! I also just tried die hard 2 and 3 and the dts hd ma works fine. I guess there is a problem with the samsung 1400 that i have.
post #245 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I'm definitely getting ZERO sound from my rear 2 speakers in Hairspray. Wow, I'm actually really saddened by this. I was SO excited to finally be getting 7.1. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be really upset by tomorrow...

Yah I know I'm a little disappointed, but it's not a huge blow, we still got dts-HD MA decoding, and you can't complain when you paid $299-$499 for a really good BD player that has alot more functionality than BDs if you so choose to use that functionality. Plus other than the Denon 3800, it's the first to market with dts-HD MA decoding. I hope they fix this in a future firmware update, but for now, it'll do, I only have the one 7.1 track anyways, Pan's Labyrinth, so I may just hold off watching that until they update it again. But otherwise, good job SONY!!!
post #246 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

I'm definitely getting ZERO sound from my rear 2 speakers in Hairspray. Wow, I'm actually really saddened by this. I was SO excited to finally be getting 7.1. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to be really upset by tomorrow...

My post might have been buried, so I'll mention it here.

Like when some AVRs handle MA bit-streams, the PS3 doesn't seem to recognize the back channels with New Line's MA film tracks. Some AVRs didn't display the channels, but they did actually utilize them. The PS3 seems to ignore them altogether although the bit-rate meter says 7.1. It's the way New Line has the channels configured for the 7.1 film tracks. Sony should be able to fix this.
post #247 of 1585
Ill check my yamaha as well, I only have 5.1 but I will see if the receiver gets 7.1
post #248 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post

Popped in First Blood and DTS HR is good to go too. First Blood is playing at 3.0 mbps. Always wondered what an HR track plays at.

HR goes from 1509 - 6.0, and up to 7.1.
post #249 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I watched Crank which has PCM 6.1 but my Onkyo showed PCM 7.1. Did anyone experience the same thing?

Crank is debatable because it technically is 7.1PCM, because that's hot it is encoded. But in reality, the two rear channels are identical, so make of that what you will.
post #250 of 1585
In the Sony PS3 page figure the 2.20 firmware...

post #251 of 1585
I'll assume those with 7.1 setups went into the PS3 Audio Settings and enabled all the 7.1 checkboxes.
post #252 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the 3rd View Post

I'll assume those with 7.1 setups went into the PS3 Audio Settings and enabled all the 7.1 checkboxes.

Yes. Definitely. I know Crank played in 7.1 for me. I'm really sad! GAH!!! I so wanted to watch Hairspray and Pan's in 7.1. It was one of the reasons I ordered them!
post #253 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedriceballer View Post

Yah I know I'm a little disappointed, but it's not a huge blow, we still got dts-HD MA decoding, and you can't complain when you paid $299-$499 for a really good BD player that has alot more functionality than BDs if you so choose to use that functionality. Plus other than the Denon 3800, it's the first to market with dts-HD MA decoding. I hope they fix this in a future firmware update, but for now, it'll do, I only have the one 7.1 track anyways, Pan's Labyrinth, so I may just hold off watching that until they update it again. But otherwise, good job SONY!!!

Wow. See, I'm not that easily impressed. Yes it's great we get DTS-MA decoding, but we're not getting FULL decoding - at least those of us with Onkyos aren't. Grr!
post #254 of 1585
Wouldn't that make it an Onkyo issue then? I have a Pioneer, only 5.1 though, but my rears are working for Rush Hour 3. I don't have Pan's or Hairspray to test. The only other New Line title I have is Shoot 'Em Up.
post #255 of 1585
FilmMixer,

What do you think is happening with New Line's tracks in this case? Is the PS3 not recognizing the back channels because of how they are configured, or are the AVRs receiving them without knowing what they are? I know you have addressed this issue before when people bit-streaming New Line's MA tracks had this issue.
post #256 of 1585
I played the movie shoot em up. its an new line cinema title. it would read 7.1 when the logo would show up both on the receiver and the ps3. the ps3 would read it as 7.1 during the movie, but not the receiver.

Jacob
post #257 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hickey View Post

I have Day After Tomorrow going right now in the PS3 and guess what.


That's beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedriceballer View Post

Anyone else tries Pan's Labyrinth or another dts-HD MA 7.1 track? The PS3 says its putting out 7.1ch but my receiver only sees 5.1ch. FYI my receiver is a Denon AVR-788 (equivalent to AVR-1908) if that has any bearing on this (although I know my AVR-788 can accept up to 8 channels LPCM via HDMI, ie. it sees 7.1 with Crank).

I'm getting Pan's Labrynth from Netflix probably on Wednesday, but I'm sure someone could verify beore then. I have a Yamaha RX-V1800.

Also, I mentioned that the DTS website doesn't have any New Line Cinema movies (including Pan's Labrynth) listed as containging DTS-HD MA tracks.
post #258 of 1585
I just played rush hour 3 on my pioneer elite vsx 94 and it only 5.1 lights up but i do have sounds coming from the back speakers. The ps3 says 7.1 ch so im assuming its the way new line is doing the mixing.
post #259 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedriceballer View Post

Anyone else tries Pan's Labyrinth or another dts-HD MA 7.1 track? The PS3 says its putting out 7.1ch but my receiver only sees 5.1ch. FYI my receiver is a Denon AVR-788 (equivalent to AVR-1908) if that has any bearing on this (although I know my AVR-788 can accept up to 8 channels LPCM via HDMI, ie. it sees 7.1 with Crank).


Onkyo 805, same issue. PS3 shows 7.1 channels.... 805 shows 5.1 channels. At this point in the PS3 firmware game.. i have some faith that they'll fix that. I can wait a while for them to polish it.. were only talking about a dozen or so titles with a 7.1 DTS-MA-HD track out there.. some of the good ones albeit.. but still. At this point, the PS3 has made a believer out of me.
post #260 of 1585
anybody have the movie Doctor Strange and try it out? its supposed to be 7.1, but it's produced by Lionsgate so it may not suffer from the same flaw.

EDIT: or Saw IV or Oldboy, those are also dts-HD MA 7.1 tracks not by New Line.
post #261 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendergender View Post

In the Sony PS3 page figure the 2.20 firmware...


If you're in a rush to hear DTS-MA, download to PC and update via USB.
Direct link for US is:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation....6/PS3UPDAT.PUP
post #262 of 1585
I think the AVR's displaying 5.1 instead of 7.1 is normal and has to do something with the AVR and NOT the PS3.
post #263 of 1585
OMG I just updated and tried X-Men Last Stand it sounds crazy bitrate is from 5.0-5.9 the best I have heard its amazing!!!!!!!
post #264 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophreak View Post

I just played rush hour 3 on my pioneer elite vsx 94 and it only 5.1 lights up but i do have sounds coming from the back speakers. The ps3 says 7.1 ch so im assuming its the way new line is doing the mixing.

Has anyone tried Saw 4 that has DTS MA 7.1.
post #265 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post

If you're in a rush to hear DTS-MA, download to PC and update via USB.
Direct link for US is:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation....6/PS3UPDAT.PUP

Thanks jimbo

...downloading.
post #266 of 1585
On a completely different note, the "RESUME" feature now works as it should.. Pan's Labrinth started up right where i left it when i tested its 7.1 speakers.. decided to get next to my rears to MAKE SURE.. no sound coming out at all.. but the resume feature working was nice.
post #267 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNKAKE View Post

On a completely different note, the "RESUME" feature now works as it should.. Pan's Labrinth started up right where i left it when i tested its 7.1 speakers.. decided to get next to my rears to MAKE SURE.. no sound coming out at all.. but the resume feature working was nice.

i haven't tried yet myself, but does it resume now w/ BD-Java titles?
post #268 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDeMaNN View Post

OMG I just updated and tried X-Men Last Stand it sounds crazy bitrate is from 5.0-5.9 the best I have heard its amazing!!!!!!!

Is your receiver seeing 6.1 channels when you watch X-Men?
post #269 of 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedriceballer View Post

anybody have the movie Doctor Strange and try it out? its supposed to be 7.1, but it's produced by Lionsgate so it may not suffer from the same flaw.

EDIT: or Saw IV or Oldboy, those are also dts-HD MA 7.1 tracks not by New Line.

I have Dr. Strange and it outputs 7.1 to my Onkyo 804. All channels have audio coming out. Additionally Weeds Season 1 has dts 6.1 on it and its working correctly too.
post #270 of 1585
Do we get 7.1 properly from Dolby TrueHD 7.1 disks? Or do we have to post process/matrix 5.1pcm to 7.1pcm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Firmware 2.3x - Master Thread [FIRMWARE TALK ONLY PLEASE]