or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X Pre-Order Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X Pre-Order Thread

post #1 of 480
Thread Starter 
I thought it would be cool to start a thread for everyone who pre-ordered the Maelstrom-X and what their plans were for the subs.

I ordered 2 and my plans are to build (2) 8 cubic foot boxes with (2) PR's in each box. I plan to power each box with a EP2500. My room is 1600 cubic feet.

What do you guys have planned?
post #2 of 480
I ordered one. I don't really have the funds for two and I already have a single TC-2000 sonosub.

I have a spare 24.5" diameter 48" long section of sonotube that I plan to put it in. Unsure about tuning frequency though. I'd love to tune it to ~16Hz, but that would require less than ideal port area. (Maybe three 4" ports, each 36" long, flared).
post #3 of 480
Good Idea,

I ordered four; they will be dual opposed, each pair loaded in an ~8^3 box with each box driven by a bridged Face F1200TS.

Now I have to order another pair of F1200TS' for the Sicko

Larry

What do you guys plan on using for EQ?
post #4 of 480
I'm curious how many went. I'm sure that's a business decision Kevin will make not to share it, hope it went well. I'll be here on the list in a few months, subscribed. Just wanted to wait and see what actual performance is, driver count and power used, and what enclosures they get dropped into.

If I had one in-route, I'd have my box made and finished. I couldn't have the patience to fire that puppy up.
post #5 of 480
Quote:


I'm curious how many went.

He said 17 in another thread, but that was before me and at least a couple more ordered I believe.
post #6 of 480
I was going to, but I forgot about the deadline :/
post #7 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

I ordered one. I don't really have the funds for two and I already have a single TC-2000 sonosub.

I ordered one. My current living room (which will be my living room for the next two years) is oddly shaped, with the benefit of providing smooth response with just one subwoofer (assuming it's a high-quality, low-inductance design) and a single long-throw 18 will provide adequate headroom for my musical tastes.

I'm going to use it in the enclosure I commissioned from eD for my Ava18. If memory serves, it's 140L or 150L, sealed. Modeled Qtc is either 0.565 (140L) or 0.552 (150L), which is just about perfect for my tastes. With the driver's low Le and long stroke I'm hoping for truly superior performance. It will be powered by my current Crown XTi2000, and EQ'ed with my Velodyne SMS-1 serving as line-driver and possibly if I find I still prefer a 2-way sub setup similar to what I'm running now. (Tannoy B475, which is an 18" driver "pro" sub, deployed like Hsu recommends for the HBM-12 but much more capable than that design because of its size, Ava18 up front) providing global sub EQ. (If I don't end up needing the 2-way sub setup, I might sell the SMS-1 because the DSP in the XTi amps will probably provide enough flexibility for my EQ needs.)

Why not go with the EBS ported alignment that's so trendy today? First, I don't want a visibly obtrusive subwoofer, and a larger box would be impossible to integrate into my living room. Second, the Maelstrom-X powered by 2000W models to 112dB at 20Hz and is still capable of ~100dB (excursion limited) at 10Hz on paper: that's quite enough output for me, though I can understand why someone else might prefer a ~300L box tuned to ~17Hz, which yields a max paper output of ~120dB at 20Hz when powered by 2kW. Third, when I move I have a built-in upgrade path if my future living room can take a larger box without it visually dominating the room.
post #8 of 480
That sounds like a solid plan, DS-21.
post #9 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

I ordered 2 and my plans are to build (2) 8 cubic foot boxes with (2) PR's in each box. I plan to power each box with a EP2500.

What do you guys have planned?

I ordered one Maelstrom. I am tentatively planning the same enclosure as you, with the same EP2500 amp to power it. However, I am thinking about getting my hands dirty with a sonosub build. It would eliminte the cost of the PR's, and I imagine would have similar output.
post #10 of 480
DS-21, I don't think you have the parameters entered correctly, Kevin adjusted them so the voice coil resistance is already wired up, I am getting a higher Qtc of 0.68 with 140L and a (gasp!) qtc of 0.666 for 150L, with some stuffing it will lower a bit, but not as much as you are showing.
post #11 of 480
I'm building one for myself. I'll probably build a 200L cabinet, with a pair of PR-18s. Tune them to about 17-18Hz, use 100% fill in the cabinet and with the Woofer Widget a 17hz subsonic filter with a Q=.707. That looks good with up to 3000W on the woofer which is FAR more than I'd ever push it except to show-off.

I'll probably play with the tuning and subsonic filter based upon room measurements.
post #12 of 480
Kevin,

What's the current status of the Woofer Widget?

Larry
post #13 of 480
Pair in an opposed sealed sonotube (6' x 24") which comes to about 450l. Models close to .5 and should be very easy to EQ. I will give this a shot in my ~2900 cu ft room.

If I want more, I will pull a driver, convert it to a low tuned vented alignment and put the other driver in a matching enclosure. It will allow me to experiment.
post #14 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan View Post

Pair in an opposed sealed sonotube (6' x 24") which comes to about 450l. Models close to .5 and should be very easy to EQ. I will give this a shot in my ~2900 cu ft room.

If I want more, I will pull a driver, convert it to a low tuned vented alignment and put the other driver in a matching enclosure. It will allow me to experiment.

Are you planning on that upright or horizontal?
post #15 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

DS-21, I don't think you have the parameters entered correctly, Kevin adjusted them so the voice coil resistance is already wired up, I am getting a higher Qtc of 0.68 with 140L and a (gasp!) qtc of 0.666 for 150L, with some stuffing it will lower a bit, but not as much as you are showing.

Thanks for double-checking!
Looking at the numbers I had in Unibox, there was a typo in Qes; I had it as 0.36 for some reason. That changes the model to a Qtc of .593 (140L) with heavy fill (0.686 no fill), and a near textbook-perfect Bessel of 0.579 (150L) with heavy stuffing (0.667 sans stuffing). In the past, I have found Unibox's heavy stuffing numbers to correlate well with reality. I guess I'll find out my enclosure's volume when I measure the new woofer on its own and then see what my final Qtc is when I measure it in situ. True, I could also find the invoice for the enclosure, but that would be extra work for something that doesn't much matter. Assuming they come out close to original spec, I think I could live with either answer.

Actually, even a box as small as 100L sealed seems reasonable for this driver, with a Qtc (heavy fill) coming out to .647 in Unibox. Of course, to reach full excursion in a tiny box like that, one will need a bit less than 3kW. But for someone who wants a compact sealed supersub, a 100L Maelstrom-X powered by an XTi4000 sounds like quite the ticket. And someone more concerned with movie boom than audio fidelity could probably get away with going as small as 75-80L, which would give a 0.7ish Qtc with heavy fill. Kind of makes one wonder why nobody before has offered an 18" driver with such an obviously superior compromise of suspension and motor parameters. (Or maybe the ur-Maelstrom was similar, albeit with a little bit more than a third the throw and no Faraday rings in the motor if memory serves. I don't have the specs for the Avatar/Adire Maelstrom on hand right now.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins View Post

I'm building one for myself. I'll probably build a 200L cabinet, with a pair of PR-18s. Tune them to about 17-18Hz, use 100% fill in the cabinet and with the Woofer Widget a 17hz subsonic filter with a Q=.707. That looks good with up to 3000W on the woofer which is FAR more than I'd ever push it except to show-off.

Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Practically 120dB (on paper) from a single relatively small sub at 20Hz, with full use of the driver's excursion for the 20-30Hz half-octave. Even a 140L box tuned to 17Hz looks bloody impressive, with a bit of help from the Crown XTi2000s DSP. Hmm...now how much were those PR's again, and does anyone know how difficult it is to cut into eD's standard black finish?
post #16 of 480
I would ask them to leave the finish off, iirc Kevin has mentioned the PR's are gonna be ~$100 ea.

The old Maelstrom was nothing like this, less BL, among the things you mentioned. The LMS 5400 worked better than the Maelstrom in small boxes and handled more power with greater xmax, albeit with 2.5x the cost.
post #17 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

I would ask them to leave the finish off, iirc Kevin has mentioned the PR's are gonna be ~$100 ea.

It seems like diycable has a lot on their table right now. However, for anyone who ordered the Malleys preorder, it would be nice to know exactly what PR's they are gonna offer...and when??
post #18 of 480
They are going to have PR15's with 38mm xmech and PR18's with 43-44mm xmech, PR15's will be ~$80-85 and the PR18's will be ~$100. Kevin is planning doing packages as well; until he finalizes the PR prices though, that info will be up in the air. From what he has said, the PR's will be out slightly later, around June.
post #19 of 480
Quote:
Kind of makes one wonder why nobody before has offered an 18" driver with such an obviously superior compromise of suspension and motor parameters.

Agreed. Its works (better) in sizes that previously would have needed 15's.


I didn't get in on the pre-order, but I'll follow all of your progress with interest. I mean, even regular price is only $50 more and a real steal, so the pre-pricing was not a big incentive to me.


Quote:
However, for anyone who ordered the Malleys...

Ahh, I was wondering when the first nickname would show up. Perhaps we should call the Maelstrom owners group the "Maelcontents".
post #20 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

Kevin,

What's the current status of the Woofer Widget?

Larry

In a holding pattern. We had a noise problem on the first hardware revision and the Anadigm guys had to go back and do another revision. I'm supposed to get the Ver.#2 this week to evaluate where we are at.

Overall, like most engineering projects, it is running behind schedule.
post #21 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fish View Post

It seems like diycable has a lot on their table right now. However, for anyone who ordered the Malleys preorder, it would be nice to know exactly what PR's they are gonna offer...and when??

When I get the information, I'll release it. Right now, I'm waiting on another engineering sample revision. I expect to finalize it this week but there can always be a problem that requires another revision.

I'd say June/July and the estimated pricing that Army is posting should be fairly accurate.


The only thing this version shares with the old one is a name (and the fact that it is an 18"). This one is more closely related to the Tumult but even that isn't completely accurate. It has the same amount of X-max and uses a 3" VC but the motor design has the added Copper and Aluminum shorting rings.
post #22 of 480
Kevin,

Is there going to be a version offered in a rack friendly package?

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins View Post

In a holding pattern. We had a noise problem on the first hardware revision and the Anadigm guys had to go back and do another revision. I'm supposed to get the Ver.#2 this week to evaluate where we are at.

Overall, like most engineering projects, it is running behind schedule.
post #23 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

Kevin,

Is there going to be a version offered in a rack friendly package?

Larry

I'd love to Larry but my funds are limited. I'm putting all my pennies into driver development over the next 24-36 months.

I'm literally going to have about ten times the subwoofer & loudspeaker transducer inventory at the end of three years compared to what I have now.
post #24 of 480
Fair enough; I'll help chip away at that inventory too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Haskins View Post

I'd love to Larry but my funds are limited. I'm putting all my pennies into driver development over the next 24-36 months.

I'm literally going to have about ten times the subwoofer & loudspeaker transducer inventory at the end of three years compared to what I have now.
post #25 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

I would ask them to leave the finish off, iirc

Kinda late for that, as it's housed an Ava18 since September or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

The old Maelstrom was nothing like this, less BL, among the things you mentioned.

When I made that comment I was referring only to vague recollections that the ur-Maelstrom might have had a parameter set that lent it about as well to small sealed and EBS vented boxes as the Maelstrom-X does. Seems an obvious juicy part in the market, but perhaps technical difficulties kept drivers out of it in the past. I don't know. Or maybe KH is just smarter than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

The LMS 5400 worked better than the Maelstrom in small boxes and handled more power with greater xmax, albeit with 2.5x the cost.

True enough, but for vented alignments the LMS5400 required a lot more EQ if memory serves. The Maelstrom-X seems to do just fine unassisted in both sealed and vented boxes of reasonable size.
post #26 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post


Seems an obvious juicy part in the market, but perhaps technical difficulties kept drivers out of it in the past. I don't know. Or maybe KH is just smarter than everyone else.

Trust me.... it isn't that.
post #27 of 480
Ok Kevin...I am ready to order tomorrow morning. Finally ...I will order two Maelstrom-X...
post #28 of 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Are you planning on that upright or horizontal?

They will be horizontal. Everything will be behind a screenwall and my LCR will be monitors on a shelf above the sub(s).

This will allow me to move the sealed sub from one side to the other to find the best placement. With 2 vented tubes I will have less placement flexibility but I will be able to flip ports sides and move them around some still. The vented versions might get a little jumpy, but I will deal with it.
post #29 of 480
Taking this on top where it belongs.

I am now waiting for my first FaceAudio amp...Thylantyr will face the muisc.

I will face a wait of a few days...

PS SInce my post is low on substance I use smileys to decorate it !!!
post #30 of 480
I assume you ordered the Maelstrom's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X Pre-Order Thread