or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shuffleboard question - Page 2

post #31 of 86
Thread Starter 
So what's the deal ELmO? Tired of the table already?
post #32 of 86
Seeing ifI can get mula out of it, will make a decisoin at that point. It takes a lot of room up in my family room and I want to put a sectional in the room - it is difficult to move because it's 14ft of straight wood that of course can't bend - so it's hard to get it into the basement!
post #33 of 86
set it up in the back yard as a slide for the kids. Problem solved
post #34 of 86
rofl. problem solved another way this time, son - it's sold.

Will replace it with a MAME cocktail machine though!
post #35 of 86
Did you sell it at a major loss? Where you gettin the cocktail table from, those guys we were talking about in that arcade thread (too lazy to go find name).
post #36 of 86
Yes, I sold at a major loss. I probably would not have, if I had gotten the 1.5" thick/16" wide board.

I have been talking to this guy:
http://monstercabinets.com/4sale/

Because I really like his cabinets. Also I think having a true cocktail CRT is important. If you look at some of the other pre-fab cabinets, the monitors don't fit perfectly and it looks really crappy.

The problem is the above dude is just starting his business and his shop is'nt open yet, and it will take a few months for that to happen. how do we wait for cocktail cabinets, there's nothing greater in life
post #37 of 86
yeah those things are sweet. Fuggin a I wish I didn't have so much other crap going on at the house I need to update. Just inherited my fathers home (he passed about a month ago).
post #38 of 86
Sorry to hear about that.
post #39 of 86
yeah, he was a good guy. Sucks. Thanks btw
post #40 of 86
Hey All i just bought a Gamenamics 10' shufflebaord on ebay. great table for around 350!!!

Now i have it at home but its really hard to slide the pieces down the board.
Im sure the wax on the board has gone dry.

What do I need to buy to get this up to speed? I see spray wax, polish, powder...i am kinda lost as to what I need.

Thanks in advance.
post #41 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oskardiaz View Post

Hey All i just bought a Gamenamics 10' shufflebaord on ebay. great table for around 350!!!

Now i have it at home but its really hard to slide the pieces down the board.
Im sure the wax on the board has gone dry.

What do I need to buy to get this up to speed? I see spray wax, polish, powder...i am kinda lost as to what I need.

Thanks in advance.

What you want is Sunglo shuffleboard powder. With the table being only 10' I would pick one of the slower powders.
post #42 of 86
Based on some earlier posts above, we're doing some comparison shopping between the Champions and McClure tables. I can't seem to get my hands actually on a McClure unfortunately, but I have messed around with a Champion yesterday.

Spoke with Todd McClure last evening who expounded on the build quality of their tables versus the competition, but would really like to hear from actual owners of either variety.

We're looking for a 14' model w/o the scoring unit. Both models are comparatively priced, and they're not cheap.

Please comment!
post #43 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo36 View Post

Based on some earlier posts above, we're doing some comparison shopping between the Champions and McClure tables. I can't seem to get my hands actually on a McClure unfortunately, but I have messed around with a Champion yesterday.

Spoke with Todd McClure last evening who expounded on the build quality of their tables versus the competition, but would really like to hear from actual owners of either variety.

We're looking for a 14' model w/o the scoring unit. Both models are comparatively priced, and they're not cheap.

Please comment!

I have a 14' Mcclure and love it. I'm sure both brands are good but I can say dealing with Todd was a pleasure.
post #44 of 86
Yeah, I gotta agree, at least so far, he has been extremely forthcoming with information. He even offered his Brother-In-Law as an installer for a reasonable price. (He lives in the same city as I do).

Main differences I can see is McClure using real wood versus Champion using at least some veneers. Am I missing anything? And, did you get the electronic scoring unit with yours? Do I really need it?
post #45 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1der View Post

What you want is Sunglo shuffleboard powder. With the table being only 10' I would pick one of the slower powders.

I have found the opposite to be true, I have about a 9foot table and I find it much more challenging/ interesting to use a faster wax...but that's just me.
post #46 of 86
i had a mcclure and it was a great table, sold it to someone and now miss it. I paid 4K for mine, 20" wide/3" thick. Think I'll buy another someday but only the 1.5" thick version.
post #47 of 86
That's what I needed to hear. I saw where you bought it, then sold it rather quickly. I assume it had nothing to do with the quality of the table?
post #48 of 86
Have you looked at craigslist? Theres always a couple on my local craigslist. Some pretty nice ones too.
post #49 of 86
My company sells shuffleboards among other things, if you want champion quality (which is the thick epoxy/poly pour - this is a lifetime product, you will never have to refinish it) you have a couple options.

Mclure doesnt use the pour method, that have a thin layer of polyurethane, have had a few customers come back after a couple of years.

I would either do a Performance games board (www.performancegamesinc.com) or the new CL bailey & Legacy Billiards shuffleboards now have the same thick, heavy poly coat that provides a great play. Price wise, a legacy 14ft board is gonna sit at $2,799.

Hope that helps, Ive sold 7 manufacturers of shuffleboards, its taken me 5 years to finally narrow it down to 3 decent companies.
post #50 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalviper View Post

My company sells shuffleboards among other things, if you want champion quality (which is the thick epoxy/poly pour - this is a lifetime product, you will never have to refinish it) you have a couple options.

Mclure doesnt use the pour method, that have a thin layer of polyurethane, have had a few customers come back after a couple of years.

I would either do a Performance games board (www.performancegamesinc.com) or the new CL bailey & Legacy Billiards shuffleboards now have the same thick, heavy poly coat that provides a great play. Price wise, a legacy 14ft board is gonna sit at $2,799.

Hope that helps, Ive sold 7 manufacturers of shuffleboards, its taken me 5 years to finally narrow it down to 3 decent companies.

Your information is wrong. Mcclure is not a thin polyurethane surface. The use a poured polymer. Mine is over a 1/4" thick
post #51 of 86
My mcclure was 0.5" thick polymer, which was backed by lifetime warranty.
post #52 of 86
[quote=chemicalviper;15905362]Mclure doesnt use the pour method, that have a thin layer of polyurethane, have had a few customers come back after a couple of years.QUOTE]

For someone who sells Shuffleboards, one would think you would be an expert, but I think you got the true McClure tables confused with their Adroit International tables (http://www.adroitint.com/), which they have to compete with all the "lower costing Made in China" tables out there.

The true Mcclure tables that are built in their factory uses the Polymer Finish, which is warrantied for Life, just like the Champion tables.
http://www.mccluretables.com/shuffleboardscompare.html

Old.
post #53 of 86
Yeah, I think you're getting some bad info somewhere. I've only been researching these things a few weeks, but I do know that is not correct.

Attached photo of the end of a McClure table. Look at the table top.

post #54 of 86
owned
post #55 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo36 View Post

Yeah, I think you're getting some bad info somewhere. I've only been researching these things a few weeks, but I do know that is not correct.

Attached photo of the end of a McClure table. Look at the table top.


my mcclure polymer was even thicker than that, but I had the "professional" table that is wider/thicker/etc.
post #56 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

my mcclure polymer was even thicker than that, but I had the "professional" table that is wider/thicker/etc.


I got the photo from McClure's web site. I ended up ordering a 14' Edmore in chestnut. Can't take delivery until Mar 21, and I can't wait!

Specifications:
Cradle Lengths: 14'
Width: 31"
Playfield Size: 3" thick x 20" wide
Height: 30" to playfield top
Weight: 60 LBS per foot +/-
post #57 of 86
that 200 dollar table from sears... could you theoretically just apply a ton of poly to the surface and it would become much better? Cuz isn't that the knock on the crap tables is the surface? Well if you use the poly that would be used on a good table, isn 't that what counts? Wondering if I'm on to something
post #58 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

that 200 dollar table from sears... could you theoretically just apply a ton of poly to the surface and it would become much better? Cuz isn't that the knock on the crap tables is the surface? Well if you use the poly that would be used on a good table, isn 't that what counts? Wondering if I'm on to something


No there are more differences than that. The wood and how the wood is put together is just as important. Also the better tables like my Mcclure have climatic adjusters to accomodate for changes in hummidty that affect the compaction/contraction of the wood. A lot of those $200 tables only use a type of butcher block vaneer for it's playing surface.
post #59 of 86
[quote=bravo36;15945455]I got the photo from McClure's web site. I ended up ordering a 14' Edmore in chestnut. Can't take delivery until Mar 21, and I can't wait!
QUOTE]

That is the exact table I have, except in Mahogony finish.

I needed a furniture style table to match the rest of my decor in the basement. This is an absolute beautiful piece of furniture. I'm sure you will enjoy it.





btw, the playfield top is extremely heavy. My brother and I are pretty decent in strength, but it was a struggle carrying it in the house, and then lifting it onto the cradle. I wish I called a couple buddies to help...
Old.
post #60 of 86
Thanks for those pics Old. And for the advice of recruiting more help. Damn nice looking basement play area you have. I see the legs of that Edmore are a pretty close match to your pool table's.

Man, I can't wait. Just a couple more weeks till we're finished with our build. I didn't get the scoring unit. I see yours, but looking back, would you still order it, or not?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home