or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma?

post #1 of 209
Thread Starter 
now that the masses have it with your PS3 do you notice a diffrence, I will be playing with mine tonight with live free or die hard.
post #2 of 209
I could only play Close Encounters at a family-friendly level last night, but when Roy had his first encounter my sub was just RUMBLING, and now I fear playing that scene at my normal sound level! I'll be playing Live Free or Die Hard later today.
post #3 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

I could only play Close Encounters at a family-friendly level last night, but when Roy had his first encounter my sub was just RUMBLING, and now I fear playing that scene at my normal sound level! I'll be playing Live Free or Die Hard later today.

Doesn't that have the TrueHD soundtrack as well? (close encounters i mean)
They should be identical.

I'll be testing tonight with Kingdom of Heaven.
post #4 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallow View Post

Doesn't that have the TrueHD soundtrack as well? (close encounters i mean)
They should be identical.

It does have TrueHD, and although people say it should sound identical, I really do not care for the sound of TrueHD. Never had as much "Ommpf" as PCM, to me.
post #5 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

I could only play Close Encounters at a family-friendly level last night, but when Roy had his first encounter my sub was just RUMBLING, and now I fear playing that scene at my normal sound level! I'll be playing Live Free or Die Hard later today.

You'll love Live Free or Die Hard's 5.1 DTS HD track. I'm listening to it RIGHT NOW! It's sweet!

Saw IV has a 7.1 DTS HD MA track and it sounds great too but Live Free or Die Hard is better for more bass / explosions / gunfire. It all sounds superb. BETTER than the movie theaters! No kidding!
post #6 of 209
With the exception of the 7.1 snafoos on the New Line discs I own, which I believe will be resolved in time, I am very impressed with DTS-HD MA so far. Makes me want to go to Best Buy tonight and pick up some new discs...
post #7 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

It does have TrueHD, and although people say it should sound identical, I really do not care for the sound of TrueHD. Never had as much "Ommpf" as PCM, to me.

Huh? In the end:

Dolby TrueHD == DTS-HD MA == PCM

There is no difference between any of them, as they should all yield the SAME resolution as the studio master. Besides, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA both get decoded to PCM before D/A conversion and amplification, so they literally are the same. Your ears must be playing tricks on you.
post #8 of 209
does DTS HD-MA or DolbyTrueHD work over digital optical cables aswell or just over HDMI?....currently i dont have an HDMI receiver...but my receiver does have optical..will that work?
post #9 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseeburg View Post

does DTS HD-MA work over digital optical cables aswell or just over HDMI?....currently i dont have an HDMI receiver...but my receiver does have optical..will that work?

No, HDMI only
post #10 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

No, HDMI only

thats what i figured....looks like il have to save up and buy one...its been long overdue anyhow
post #11 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

Huh? In the end:

Dolby TrueHD == DTS-HD MA == PCM

There is no difference between any of them, as they should all yield the SAME resolution as the studio master. Besides, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA both get decoded to PCM before D/A conversion and amplification, so they literally are the same. Your ears must be playing tricks on you.

All things being equal that is correct. They are/should be bit for bit identical to the masters.

Now it is possible that errors were made in one or the other, but not consistently across multiple disks.

If someone has a preference to one over the other and is sure that there is a difference then they are either incorrect or else something in their signal path is introducing those sonic differences.

This is based on everything I have read on all the various threads.

Cheers,

Richard
post #12 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

It does have TrueHD, and although people say it should sound identical, I really do not care for the sound of TrueHD. Never had as much "Ommpf" as PCM, to me.

It dosn't mater what people say. It is an indisputable 100% fact that decoded DTS-HD Master and TrueHD are bit for bit identical to the LPCM Master used. If you "believe" that TrueHD sound worse then it is a nocebo effect.
post #13 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

Huh? In the end:

Dolby TrueHD == DTS-HD MA == PCM

There is no difference between any of them, as they should all yield the SAME resolution as the studio master. Besides, TrueHD and DTS-HD MA both get decoded to PCM before D/A conversion and amplification, so they literally are the same. Your ears must be playing tricks on you.

The mix may be different. There is no garanty that the same mix is used for the TrueHD and DTS-MA like they did in the good old time of DD and DTS on SD-DVD. They may tweak it a little.
post #14 of 209
Easy. TrueHD is for the Dolby master, dts-MA is for the dts amplified master.
post #15 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

The mix may be different. There is no garanty that the same mix is used for the TrueHD and DTS-MA like they did in the good old time of DD and DTS on SD-DVD. They may tweak it a little.

So you are saying that there are multiple STUDIO MASTER tracks for movies. Right. Care to back that up with some evidence? And don't use SD-DVD as a comparison, there is a world of difference when you are talking about LOSSY versus LOSSLESS compression algorithms.

Go ahead and name one movie out on Blu-Ray right now that has different master tracks for TrueHD vs. DTS-HD MA vs. LPCM?. The studio master is the original, final mix. There are no "different versions" of studio master tracks.
post #16 of 209
I like mine over easy with a side of bacon and some texas toast.
post #17 of 209
I like mine lossless with lots of action.
post #18 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

So you are saying that there are multiple STUDIO MASTER tracks for movies. Right. Care to back that up with some evidence, or are you pulling this supposed factoid out from somewhere the sun doesn't shine?

Go ahead and name one movie out on Blu-Ray right now that has different master tracks for TrueHD vs. DTS-HD MA vs. LPCM. That's right. You can't. The studio master is the original, final mix. There are no "different versions" of studio master tracks.

I don't know if there is or isn't but DTS always sound better to me with liver surround. DD almost always sounds dull compared to it which volume matched.
post #19 of 209
Saying True HD/DTS-MA is not equal to PCM is like saying 2+2 is not equal to 4.
I think with DTS-MA available now, the obsession with DTS starts again; ignoring how long it took them to get it running and how their codec is delaying players to come out and also completely ignoring DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD are equal.

Here is what the guy from DTS (Ron) said in his own post :

Quote:


Originally Posted by ronny_k_at_DTS
...Given the same input, THD vs PCM vs DTS-HD MA should all sound the same. If not - go see a hearing specialist. Post processing is the only possibility for differences...

So lets stop the DTS-MA sounds fuller than Dolby TrueHD debate.
post #20 of 209
All I can say is thank god that is over and hopefully we can discuss something else.
post #21 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I don't know if there is or isn't but DTS always sound better to me with liver surround. DD almost always sounds dull compared to it which volume matched.

That may be, but we're talking about Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, not DD or DTS. If you don't know the differences betwen these codecs then you have no business making any claims.
post #22 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

That may be, but we're talking about Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, not DD or DTS. If you don't know the differences betwen these codecs then you have no business making any claims.

nope not a clue why don't you edumakate me obiwan with 23posts
post #23 of 209
Watched X3 last night using DTSMA and it sounded awesome.

Is there any reason why some blurays include both LPCM and TrueHD tracks if they are identical?
post #24 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoguri View Post

Watched X3 last night using DTSMA and it sounded awesome.

Is there any reason why some blurays include both LPCM and TrueHD tracks if they are identical?

Because there may be a difference between remixed/lossy and lossless LPCM? Or maybe the LPCM track is 2.1 instead of 5.1 or 7.1?
post #25 of 209
Just curious: prior to the update, what did "Live Free or Die Hard" output at if you selected DTS MA on the PS3?
post #26 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgcue View Post

Just curious: prior to the update, what did "Live Free or Die Hard" output at if you selected DTS MA on the PS3?

DTS Core 1.5mbps (lossy).
post #27 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LicenseToKill View Post

DTS Core 1.5mbps (lossy).

Thanks
post #28 of 209
I think that the DTS add on is great. Would I say it sounds any better then the Dolby True HD? No........, but it's great to be able to decode it. I do think that this new update makes the PS3 the best BD player on the market. I would not feel good about myself having purchased a top of the line BD player knowing that a PS3 is cheaper and can do the same functions!
post #29 of 209
I sampled I, Robot and Pan's Labyrinth last night. The clarity was amazing! Also, it's great to finally get that enveloping atmosphere on Pan's with all 7.1 channels going.
post #30 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoguri View Post

Watched X3 last night using DTSMA and it sounded awesome.

Is there any reason why some blurays include both LPCM and TrueHD tracks if they are identical?

For concert nowadays, it is a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 mix plus a Stereo 2.0 PCM so everyone can get some sort of lossless depending on their hardware (or some people prefer stereo music to surround).

Also when both included, usually the TrueHD track is 20/24 bit while the PCM is 16bit (Spiderman 3, Ghost Rider, Fifth Element). There are few cases where Warner added PCM and Dolby TrueHD (300) so everyone could get lossless out of their players.
PCM is almost dead.
Sony has switched to Dolby True HD. Sony BMG uses PCM for stereo only. Fox uses DTS-MA. New Line uses DTS-MA. Warner uses Dolby TrueHD. Nobody knows what Universal and Paramount are going to use but considering their history, it probably will be Dolby TrueHD.
The only PCM supporter now is Disney but they have also announced (and released) movies with Dolby TrueHD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma?