or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma? - Page 7

post #181 of 209
I for one am very impressed with the sound. I wouldn't say DTS-MA is any better than TrueHD or PCM (they all sound the same to me - very very good), but DTS-MA is definitely more transparent to my ears than the "core" DTS was.

DTS-HR is also quite good, and I was pleasantly surprised there as well.

I am very very happy with this update. It's like rediscovering my movies again.
post #182 of 209
I agree wholeheartedly!
post #183 of 209
When I bought the PS3, I bought it with future upgrades in mind. I knew Sony would be sending out new updates often and I would in turn get this constantly get this evolving player. Its cheaper, plays games and has an online store and a cool interface to boot. I can't complain at all.

How are those firmware updates going with the Panasonic players?
post #184 of 209
Been giving the DTS HD demo disk a real workout since the update. Really pleased. Chieli Minucci - Daybreak ftw.

Didn't realize till recently how much of my BD library would benefit from this on my PS3's but looking at the list it turns out to be quite a few.

The difference between good lossy tracks and good lossless tracks has become more apparent to me overtime with HDM. My ears are getting trained. The difference doesn't floor me so to speak as good lossy is still quite good, but the difference is appreciable enough to make it quite worthwhile.

Not that I already wasn't but PS3 DTS update keeps me happy about springing for the Pio Elite receiver.
post #185 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by controller2k View Post

I for one am very impressed with the sound. I wouldn't say DTS-MA is any better than TrueHD or PCM (they all sound the same to me - very very good), but DTS-MA is definitely more transparent to my ears than the "core" DTS was.

DTS-HR is also quite good, and I was pleasantly surprised there as well.

I am very very happy with this update. It's like rediscovering my movies again.

+1

DTS-MA is a nice feature to have in the arsenal
post #186 of 209
Haven't purchased a PS3 yet, are you all saying that it bitstreams out throught HDMI and lets your receiver do the decoding of the DTS-MA or is it doing it internally? If it is doing it internally, are they going to be able to allow for the receiver to do it in the future with an update? I've got a receiver that will do the decoding and was just starting to look for a bluray player.
post #187 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Haven't purchased a PS3 yet, are you all saying that it bitstreams out throught HDMI and lets your receiver do the decoding of the DTS-MA or is it doing it internally? If it is doing it internally, are they going to be able to allow for the receiver to do it in the future with an update? I've got a receiver that will do the decoding and was just starting to look for a bluray player.

The PS3 does not bitstream and there is no indication that it ever will. If you want a bitstreaming player, you should probably look elsewhere.
post #188 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Haven't purchased a PS3 yet, are you all saying that it bitstreams out throught HDMI and lets your receiver do the decoding of the DTS-MA or is it doing it internally? If it is doing it internally, are they going to be able to allow for the receiver to do it in the future with an update? I've got a receiver that will do the decoding and was just starting to look for a bluray player.

The PS3 internally decodes DTS-MA (only via LPCM setting within the PS3) & True-HD (PS3 can be set to either Bitstream or LPCM) & sends to them out as LPCM. In return your receiver then will output LPCM into MPCM (Multi-Channel)

The PS3 doesn't automatically do this for the user unfortunately, so you would have to go into the A/V Settings & switch from Bitstream to LPCM (this really is user choice) Most do this when playing SD DVD, so the receiver can add the post- processing sound fields.

It seems like SONY been pretty good around updates, so I would think it's possible. Especially since the PS3 uses software for Audio Decoding.

I just got a PS3 a couple of weeks ago( Was a supporter of the Red Team) After much research I found this to be the safest investment due to the Update Capabilities & faster loading times & @ that time the 1st Profile 2.0 BD-Live Player.

I strictly use-it for BR Movie play back. I am really enjoying my investment & would recommend this player to anyone looking to jump-in right now. It's that good of a player, not to mention the most complete player on the market for the lowest price right now (40 GB @ $399.99)
post #189 of 209
Thanks for the replys. Struggling with what to get.... I've got a 12% off bestbuy coupon and $300 in BB gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket.
post #190 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Haven't purchased a PS3 yet, are you all saying that it bitstreams out throught HDMI and lets your receiver do the decoding of the DTS-MA or is it doing it internally? If it is doing it internally, are they going to be able to allow for the receiver to do it in the future with an update? I've got a receiver that will do the decoding and was just starting to look for a bluray player.

No the PS3 will NOT bitstream the codecs, only will decode them ALL and pass them to your receiver via HDMI (only) as LPCM. Theoretically, near same exact sound, but your receiver will display "Multi channel IN" rather than the exact codec name. It's a debate I've been struggling with for a couple of months as I'm in the same boat. If I could get a PS3 with SACD playback today, I probably would. My only other concern is the fan noise as my rack, while not being closed in the front has a few components that give off a good bit of heat. I've read some post where people say that their PS3 can sound like a hair dryer from across the room. I'd probably have to get some other fan rigged. Your other concern is the bluetooth remote sensor doen't work IR universal remote. See Miata's above post==he's had a work around, but still got fed up.

All that said, the PS3 still is at least at the top(if not the top-see new Home Theater mag) of the BD players available(for the Money). Some can't live with remote, some can't live with fact it's a gaming system, some want
the bitsteam(ps. this apparently cannot be ever updated via firmware) and a couple of other things as mentioned.

In possibly a month to two months, new players by Sony, Panasonic, and Philips will be coming out and all of these will bitsream all the codecs. There are a couple options out now with a lot of variablity in price and reliability.

So, it's either wait, take a chance or go with the PS3. A whole bunch of happy people have done the latter.
post #191 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Thanks for the replys. Struggling with what to get.... I've got a 12% off bestbuy coupon and $300 in BB gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket.

Unfortunately, you can't use that coupon for the PS3 If you just have to use the coupons/certificates--check out the Panasonic BD 30 thread or the Denon and Pioneer BD player threads-- these can all at least bitstream ALL codecs--I believe all available at BB
post #192 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzey View Post

Thanks for the replys. Struggling with what to get.... I've got a 12% off bestbuy coupon and $300 in BB gift certificates burning a hole in my pocket.

coupons never work for video game systems.
post #193 of 209
well crap... i just read the fine print and it said BR players...then I turned it over and it said exclued PS3... Thanks... I'd rather know it now than to wait until I was in line.
post #194 of 209
Thread Starter 
Is it just me but it seems like the last 5-6 movies I have received (recent releases from blockbuster online) all have been using dts hdma. Seems like the ps3 update has come in the nick of time. I also notice I no longer have to select the best audio track seems like it used to always default to a lossy codec.
post #195 of 209
Didn't one of the major studios commit to DTS-HD as their main advanced codec?
post #196 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

Didn't one of the major studios commit to DTS-HD as their main advanced codec?

FOX has been using it since entering the BD realm and there is a rumor that Universal will be using it exclusively though I have not seen an official confirmation. It makes sense though since Universal is looking to strengthen their ties again with Spielberg.
post #197 of 209
I think it was Universal.
post #198 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra View Post

Is it just me but it seems like the last 5-6 movies I have received (recent releases from blockbuster online) all have been using dts hdma. Seems like the ps3 update has come in the nick of time. I also notice I no longer have to select the best audio track seems like it used to always default to a lossy codec.


Funny I have noticed and thought the same thing. Almost all BD's I own 24 out of 27 are PCM. Now that I have been renting from Hollywood, it seems all except a few are DTS MA and the rest are Tru HD with two being pcm.
post #199 of 209
Just to stir the pot some more...

But if PCM is *required* by the BD specification and all BD disks have to have PCM, then what is all the hoopla anyway over TrueHD or DTS-MA HD?

(ducks for cover)

Erik
post #200 of 209
Using less space .. Thats it.

And of cause, you cannot Bitstream PCM ... that would kill any high end player *duck*

Protheus
post #201 of 209
after reading latest update of Ps3 for DTS HD i got Ps3, most of my BD collection is PCM but all new movies coming out have either TrueHD or DTS HD, Studios are adding more HD extras on discs that is why truHD and DTS HD is used, The sound is so much better on HD codecs, but i will point this out core DD out of TruHD is lot better than DD on regular DVD.
post #202 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protheus View Post

Using less space .. Thats it.

And of cause, you cannot Bitstream PCM ... that would kill any high end player *duck*

Protheus

But - you get PCM by default anyway because it is required by the BD spec, and TrueHD and DTS-MA HD is an *optional* format if the studio decides to put it on the disk.

And if you believe that 2+2=4 (that TrueHD and DTS-MA HD = PCM - and there are NO secondary mixes just the master which is PCM), then I'm just scratching my head as to what the big deal is.... is it just me?

Erik
post #203 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlade View Post

I think it was Universal.

Correct:

http://dvd.themanroom.com/news/Exclu...dio_Plans/2651

Need Serenity and Jurassic Park with DTA-MA!!!
post #204 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Just to stir the pot some more...

But if PCM is *required* by the BD specification and all BD disks have to have PCM, then what is all the hoopla anyway over TrueHD or DTS-MA HD?

(ducks for cover)

Erik

Not all Blu-rays have a PCM track. BDs do not have to have a PCM audio track. In fact most studios are abandoning PCM now that most of the installed BD player base(ie the PS3) can play DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.
post #205 of 209
Led Zepplin Blu-ray has TrueHD track, great stuff.
post #206 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

But - you get PCM by default anyway because it is required by the BD spec, and TrueHD and DTS-MA HD is an *optional* format if the studio decides to put it on the disk.

And if you believe that 2+2=4 (that TrueHD and DTS-MA HD = PCM - and there are NO secondary mixes just the master which is PCM), then I'm just scratching my head as to what the big deal is.... is it just me?

Erik

Not sure where you're getting your info from but PCM is not required in the BD spec it is supported. Which is the reason not every movie has a PCM track. I have a bunch of discs with only tru-hd or dts-hd tracks.
post #207 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro110 View Post

Not sure where you're getting your info from but PCM is not required in the BD spec it is supported. Which is the reason not every movie has a PCM track. I have a bunch of discs with only tru-hd or dts-hd tracks.

This faq (Section 1.9) from the blu-ray website says that PCM is "mandatory":
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

So, my interpretation is that every Blu ray disc must have DD, DTS (both core, not optional lossless) and PCM.

Am I reading the spec wrong?

Thanks,
Erik
post #208 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

This faq (Section 1.9) from the blu-ray website says that PCM is "mandatory":
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

So, my interpretation is that every Blu ray disc must have DD, DTS (both core, not optional lossless) and PCM.

Am I reading the spec wrong?

Erik, I believe the mandatory part is or, not and. A Blu-ray disc must contain one of the three formats, not all of them. In practice, discs with a lossless codec rarely have an uncompressed PCM track as well. So, that clearly can't be a requirement.

TrueHD and dts-MA can be encoded at greater bit depths using less space than PCM. That means studios can give you better quality audio in a smaller space, which seems like having your cake and eating it, too.
post #209 of 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Erik, I believe the mandatory part is or, not and. A Blu-ray disc must contain one of the three formats, not all of them. In practice, discs with a lossless codec rarely have an uncompressed PCM track as well. So, that clearly can't be a requirement.

TrueHD and dts-MA can be encoded at greater bit depths using less space than PCM. That means studios can give you better quality audio in a smaller space, which seems like having your cake and eating it, too.

Got it - makes sense now.

Thanks!

Erik
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 owners, how do you like your dts hdma?