or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post) - Page 27

post #781 of 2470
Your color seems really high to me Elway.

Try my settings. Once I set these about 3 months ago I haven't changed a thing.

Cinema
72 Picture
54 Bright
37 Color
0 Tint
50 Sharp
Normal Color Temp
Everything else off.

Gives me the best, most natural looking picture I have seen. Skin tones are great and the colors are just right.
post #782 of 2470
Will give it a shot.

Ive dropped back to a 42 color, 44 was way too high. 37, no tint and normal, Ill give it a week and watch the Fox HD shows coming back this week. They are OTA and should giv eme a good idea,
post #783 of 2470
Your color seems really high to me Elway.

Try my settings. Once I set these about 3 months ago I haven't changed a thing.

Cinema
72 Picture
54 Bright
37 Color
0 Tint
50 Sharp
Normal Color Temp
Everything else off.

Gives me the best, most natural looking picture I have seen. Skin tones are great and the colors are just right.
post #784 of 2470
While playing around with football closeups and CNNHD, I'm finding your number of 37 is pretty good. It toned down the orange markers and red jerseys in the Rutgers game, even better than the 41 I was originally using.

I found in closeups up that the tint did need adjustment, at least for me. At 0 and going positive, people exhibit a green look to their face tone. I've settled at a 37 color, -5 tint and normal temp and am pretty happy.

I think by lowering the color you dull the red, and then by adding tint toward red, it brings them back into shape without making them too overbearing.
post #785 of 2470
New PZ80U....colors from the satellite feed are very good.....colors with using my dvd are washed out....blues display decent, but reds, greens, skin tones are horrible....in general colors seem very dull. Played around with adjusting standard and cinema modes. Here they are:
Standard mode
pic: 50
bri: 50
tint: 0
sharp: 60
temp: normal
color mgnt: off
ADvanced
Blck level: light

Cinema: same as Standard except:
Temp: cool
post #786 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

While playing around with football closeups and CNNHD, I'm finding your number of 37 is pretty good. It toned down the orange markers and red jerseys in the Rutgers game, even better than the 41 I was originally using.

I found in closeups up that the tint did need adjustment, at least for me. At 0 and going positive, people exhibit a green look to their face tone. I've settled at a 37 color, -5 tint and normal temp and am pretty happy.

I think by lowering the color you dull the red, and then by adding tint toward red, it brings them back into shape without making them too overbearing.

Sounds good.

Sometimes TV cameras are overly red/orangy as well.

I remember watching the olympics and the one camera in the studio with Bob Costas made him look like an oompa loompa while every other camera was fine.

I judge skin tones and PQ using blu ray movies.
post #787 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFtns50 View Post

New PZ80U....colors from the satellite feed are very good.....colors with using my dvd are washed out....blues display decent, but reds, greens, skin tones are horrible....in general colors seem very dull. Played around with adjusting standard and cinema modes. Here they are:
Standard mode
pic: 50
bri: 50
tint: 0
sharp: 60
temp: normal
color mgnt: off
ADvanced
Blck level: light

Cinema: same as Standard except:
Temp: cool

Can you post a picture of your OTA HD and DVD movies so we can get a better idea?
post #788 of 2470
I find that when I use a color saturation setting of 37, with tint set to +7, and using the Warm temp setting, my DVE is almost perfect on all 3 color filters with BD version of DVE. Using DVE, I have never had a display this close to perfect before I got my 50pz80u with those settings.

I have zero red push on faces and everything seems very balanced as it should. I find it strange that my set with +7 tint is so far off from many others here using something around -2. This just increases the red push this display is reputed to have, so WHY would adding MORE red make it better instead of worse?
post #789 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

I decided to pop in my old trusty Avis dvd(used it to happily calibrate my last two hdtv's) and got some weird results.

Brightness stayed the same as seen with DVE (53).

Color was around the same at 44-45. Tint was the fluctuation, DVE gave me the +5 or so, AVIA gave me a -5 or -6. WTF?

I went back and read this thread, and it appears most with Calibration dvd's are hitting a color of around 44, but it appears to offer too read of faces. I wonder if the solution is to use 44 and +5, with Normal? All this without a prof calibration of course.

Are you using the Avia gels/filters with the Avia disc, and the DVE gels/filters with the DVE disc? I would imagine that the gels would not be the same and are keyed into what they put on the screen based on the gels from the matching disc.

As others have said, your color level seems way to high and would bloom colors way too much.
post #790 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I find that when I use a color saturation setting of 37, with tint set to +7, and using the Warm temp setting, my DVE is almost perfect on all 3 color filters with BD version of DVE. Using DVE, I have never had a display this close to perfect before I got my 50pz80u with those settings.

I have zero red push on faces and everything seems very balanced as it should. I find it strange that my set with +7 tint is so far off from many others here using something around -2. This just increases the red push this display is reputed to have, so WHY would adding MORE red make it better instead of worse?

Interesting. I'll give those settings a spin.

Have you adjusted anything in the RGB?
post #791 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

Sounds good.

Sometimes TV cameras are overly red/orangy as well.

I remember watching the olympics and the one camera in the studio with Bob Costas made him look like an oompa loompa while every other camera was fine.

I judge skin tones and PQ using blu ray movies.

This is true, ESPN tends to be very warm looking lately, almost too much. I swapped over to about 10 minutes of the Prison Break premier last night (OTA) and it looked spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

Are you using the Avia gels/filters with the Avia disc, and the DVE gels/filters with the DVE disc? I would imagine that the gels would not be the same and are keyed into what they put on the screen based on the gels from the matching disc.

As others have said, your color level seems way to high and would bloom colors way too much.

Yeah, I broke the discs out at seperate times. Tom stated this sets saturation control worked more like a volume than a adjustment in Cinema, so that might be part of the issue in trying to use the filters. I think you should just find the color setting you like, then adjust tint.

44 IS way too high. After using 34 and 37, 42 is too high.
post #792 of 2470
Nice Elway, glad you like it.
post #793 of 2470
I tried the +7 tint and warm setting and warm is still too much for me.

I think I may leave the tint around +4 or 5 though, still using normal color temp.
post #794 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

I tried the +7 tint and warm setting and warm is still too much for me.

I think I may leave the tint around +4 or 5 though, still using normal color temp.


I may pop the DVE BR back in today using the 37 color and Normal to try and see what kind of Tint adjustment helps. Maybe the negative looked good on ESPN because of its already hot look. Dunno.
post #795 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk View Post

Anyway, yesterday after reading Joxer's analysis, and analysing, shpankeys post of calculations, i was itching to try it out, just to see if there is any difference.

After keying in these changes posted by shpankey:

Red-Drive - 4 from default
Green-Drive = same as default
Blue-Drive - 5 from default

Red-Cut + 7 from default
Green-Cut = same as default
Blue-Cut + 7 from default

WOW! there is a MARKED difference to the picture, all colours are truer and the yellow/pink cast i had is gone. Vastly improved grayscale.

You might try that ^^^ to help with red-push. It really fixed my problems with red's and for that matter, blue's.

Also remember that if you use avia to calibrate, you must not be upconverting the signal, otherwise the TV will detect it as an HD signal and not put it in the proper SD color matrix.
post #796 of 2470
Dang, did not think about that with avia.
post #797 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpankey View Post

You might try that ^^^ to help with red-push. It really fixed my problems with red's and for that matter, blue's.

Also remember that if you use avia to calibrate, you must not be upconverting the signal, otherwise the TV will detect it as an HD signal and not put it in the proper SD color matrix.


I just went back and read. I missed a few posts that included these 42" 85u settings.

Last time I tried service menu changes it was with the guys 80u settings and they looked like poo.

Ill try these tonight and then rerun the DVE Blu ray
post #798 of 2470
Yeah those settings really made a marked improvement with my set. A few other people have tried them now also and have raved about them. Just for clarification, I made those from using one of the user's before and after ISF calibration settings. A few of us were trying his calibrated settings, and while I found them ok, I knew it wasn't anywhere near close considering his pre-calibrated settings were so different than mine. That's when I had the idea of calculating the offsets of his changes instead of using his absolute values.

After I did that, my color bars were absolutely perfect and greyscale was significantly improved once I figured out that the TV wasn't putting it in the proper color matrix when I up-scaled my Avia DVD. So by turning off up-scaling and making those service menu offsets, I've been really wowed by this tv. I know it's about as close as I'm ever going to get without a true ISF calibration.

I am so happy with it, I took myself off an ISF tour that was coming by. This is close enough for me to be happy.

Also, with time, it seems my black levels have really been improving somehow. Maybe it's just my mind, but they seemed to have really stabilized. Anyhow, give it a go, worst case scenario is it doesn't work for you.

I have went back and forth on the whole tint issue. Avia says -5 for me, but I've settled on +5 to get red even more under control, despite like someone else said, on the Rutgers football game noticing a very slight green to the players faces (nothing real bad and the trade-off is worth it).
post #799 of 2470
Sweet, gonna try it tonight and then run the DVE blu-ray

And yes, it appears a few people have tried and love it.

Ive been hesitant since trying that guys 80u settings, man they made my tv look bad.
post #800 of 2470
I am too scared to mess with the service menu settings LOL
post #801 of 2470
Its not bad , just gotta write down the defaults before starting
post #802 of 2470
Before Service Menu adjustments:

Rcut 80
Gcut 80
Bcut 80

Rdr F9
Gdr FC
Bdr D7

After:

Rcut 87
Gcut 80
Bcut 87

Rdr F5
Gdr FC
Bdr D2

85u 50" 864 hours and 40 minutes of run time

Cinema
Warm
Pic 65
Bright 52
Color 44
Tint +5
Sharp 50

After DVE bluray
post #803 of 2470
Interesting.

So you're back to 44 color?
post #804 of 2470
Well, its strange. Even after changing the serv menu settings, I still get basically the same results on the DVE test.

Im gonna drop back to factory and use the 38 or so color. Should have lionav out this month anyways.
post #805 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Well, its strange. Even after changing the serv menu settings, I still get basically the same results on the DVE test.

Im gonna drop back to factory and use the 38 or so color. Should have lionav out this month anyways.

Sounds good.

So you're resetting the RGBs?
post #806 of 2470
Yeah, already did.

Of all the combo's, there all lacking. Ive shows the before and after charting of this tv to a calibrator I know on another forum, and he's stated that this tv should dramitically improve with a prof calibration. Im gonna continue on that route with Gregg Loewen.
post #807 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Yeah, already did.

Of all the combo's, there all lacking. Ive shows the before and after charting of this tv to a calibrator I know on another forum, and he's stated that this tv should dramitically improve with a prof calibration. Im gonna continue on that route with Gregg Loewen.

Cool.

Let me know what happens after the calibration.
post #808 of 2470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Yeah, already did.

Of all the combo's, there all lacking. Ive shows the before and after charting of this tv to a calibrator I know on another forum, and he's stated that this tv should dramitically improve with a prof calibration. Im gonna continue on that route with Gregg Loewen.

cool, any chance you could tell us the settings post calibration? i would LOVE to see the offsets! I like playing around with this stuff and trying different combo's. not only that, your original settings are extremely close to mine.

also, would you mind sharing your other service menu default settings like contrast, sub-bright, tint, etc??
post #809 of 2470
Will do.
post #810 of 2470
I went in to the service menu today to change some settings and I think they look pretty good.
Before

R-CUT=80
G-CUT=80
B-CUT=80

R-DRV=FC
G-DRV=F3
B-DRV=A1

AFTER

R-CUT=87
G-CUT=80
B-CUT=87

R-DRV=F8
G-DRV=FB
B-DRV=A2

any recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic PZ80/PZ85 Calibration Thread (Updated first post)