The results are in, and while there is one thing I would have changed (more on that later) I am extremely pleased with the screen, as is the Mrs. and my buddy who came over last night to see Iron Man. He was holding out to get the whole experience in the HT
Started off by painting the inside and backside of the frame so their wouldn't be any reflections.
Then I used these corner braces to help shore up the corners of the border. I figured it would also be a good way to secure the side border pieces after they were wrapped instead of making it permanent with liquid nails and trim nails, especially since this area has no curve.
After this I started to secure the screen track pieces to the horizontal pieces of the border. No need to staple them as I thought I might need to do. They held just fine when splining the screen.
Then it was time to wrap it with velvet. What I would have done differently is to have wrapped the velvet before securing the screen track like I did with the vetical pieces. Unfortunately with the bottom piece of the screen if you go up to it you can see some staples and areas where the velvet was trimmed. Would've been a non issue if it was wrapped first and I then secured the track. I'll hopefully should be able to solve this with a thin velvet wrapped filler piece.
The vertical pieces i did while off the frame, then put in place for fit and finish.
The bottom was wrapped and the vertical pieces were secured with the corner braces. This is the point I got to on Sunday night.
Monday after running a few errands I was able to get to the good part. I bought the 63" material vs. the 98" but I tried to angle the fabric as much as I could. No biggie as my projector is only 720P but I thougt I would try in case I ever go 1080P. My original idea was to spline the first outermost row of the track and then spline the second row to make the screen tight, but I really didn't need to as the screen was very tight in most areas and only needed to respline a couple of areas. Splinnig the second row wouldn't have helped the problem areas.
Front of the screen
Back of the screen mostly trimmed off except the top. There's a couple of waves you can see on the left, this is mostly because there is no supports in the middle and the material splinned naturally pulls down on the frame. This is a non issue though when the screen is mounted. The space the screen goes into is about 1/8-1/4" bigger than the frame, I'm using mini clamps to secure the screen, this helps the frame to be pulled nice and taught removing any waves.
Now with the screen put in place, room was dark but flash was lighting it up:
Watched Iron Man (again) with my friend zoomed out to fill most of the screen. The picture looked great, no complaints at all with the material, I gotta rebuild my lens to get the full effect.