Finally get to post some pics from this weekends work. Friday picked up some crown and painted it on Saturday. No pics till now because literally it was watching paint dry...
I chose MDF crown because of the ultra smooth finish and the straight pieces I was able to get. My other choices were regular pine and finger joined pine (FJP). While I was able to find the latter in slightly longer pieces in order to avoid 1 small seam the finish on them was pretty rough and would have required a lot of sanding. Besides that they zig zagged, or arched, or bowed like crazy, so MDF it was.
Here are a couple of the crown pieces painted and ready to go.
Looking towards the front/entrance
Looking at the left back side when facing from the front
Closeup of the front against the curve stage soffit
close of the rear joint and the small seam. Both areas still need to be caulked and touched up with paint. Also you can't see the seam during regular HT lighting.
The angled section in the back where the outlet is. I still need to put the end piece there.
I still need to do the right side of the room, but overall it wasn't bad. The first few cuts were a pain and then I got on a roll. Then I got slowed down on the small piece in the back, but when it was said and done it looked pretty good.
The Mrs. still didn't seem too covinced on the crown and it's purpose, so I had to show her what it would look like with the rope light in it. I saw her smile when I lit it up and I knew that it was good
Please don't mind the rough look of the ceiling paint, it will be touched up after all is said and done.