or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

hey outsider, where is the cheapest place to purchase the Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics? and is it worth the $? does it really calibrate well? and is it easy to do?

This is how myself and the beginning got our exact same settings for calibration. The contrast, brightness, color, tint, etc.

I would say it isn't worth it since our results are already on here. The only thing worth to really pay for now would be professional calibrations. I think you would get nearly the same results as we did, so why would you pay $ for that? Just check the first post in this thread, that is what I am using and it was calibrated with a HD Basics DVE Blue-Ray disk. Check Post #1 or Post #138 (what I am using now). They will both give you a close calibrated picture, at least as far as the DVE disk is concerned.

If you are still interested in buying the DVD though, I would say either Amazon.com or Buy.com.
post #212 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

oh and outsider, you said to set sharpness to 20, but in the latest settings you posted(for the 360), you wrote "Sharpness: 40"

you said 40 there

I usually set it up a little for games. I think it would look the same at 20 or 40. I went ahead and changed the post to say 20. I will probably change it to 20 tonight since i have edge enhancement on.
post #213 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I have been messing around for a while and think I finally found some Xbox 360 settings that look pretty good. Let me know what you guys think.

Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Contrast: 87
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 20
Color: 53
Tint (G/R): 53/47

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Settings:
Color Tone: Normal
Size: Just Scan
HDMI Black Level: Low

Energy Savings: Low

Also the Reference Level on my Xbox is set to Standard.

What did you guys think of my Xbox 360 settings? I was having a hard time dialing in the Xbox, but I think these look pretty good.
post #214 of 3237
i didnt test your 360 settings yet outsider, i have a question since im using the dynamic mode as my base setting, i dont know if it has edge enchanment on or what. so how much should i set sharpness on in your opinion to get the most POP? i think 20 lowers the pop effect from my expirience, what do you think?

and i have another question like i said in my previous post , on the 360 i got different calibration settings for the brightness(360 hooked with component) and on the ps3 i got different setting for the brightness(hdmi) on the ps3 the brightness is 49, on the 360 its 36, so what should my point of view be, that whenenever i hook up some device via component i should always set brightness to 36 and on hdmi 49? i tried going by that thinking but like i said earlier , my brother started playing GTA after i calibrated on the 360(brightness set to 36) and it was night in the game and the dark parts really werent visible, i quickly raised up the brightness to 48 and all is as should be. what do you think?
post #215 of 3237
Anyone have any settings made especially for the fugly wii or fugly analog cable? Thebegginings settings look alright for the wii but they could use a little bit more something.
post #216 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

i didnt test your 360 settings yet outsider, i have a question since im using the dynamic mode as my base setting, i dont know if it has edge enchanment on or what. so how much should i set sharpness on in your opinion to get the most POP? i think 20 lowers the pop effect from my expirience, what do you think?

and i have another question like i said in my previous post , on the 360 i got different calibration settings for the brightness(360 hooked with component) and on the ps3 i got different setting for the brightness(hdmi) on the ps3 the brightness is 49, on the 360 its 36, so what should my point of view be, that whenenever i hook up some device via component i should always set brightness to 36 and on hdmi 49? i tried going by that thinking but like i said earlier , my brother started playing GTA after i calibrated on the 360(brightness set to 36) and it was night in the game and the dark parts really werent visible, i quickly raised up the brightness to 48 and all is as should be. what do you think?

I seriously don't think you could notice much of a difference in 20 and 40 sharpness. But if you think 20 is to low...raise it up till it looks good to you. I would say 40 - 50.

I have my 360 hooked up via HDMI. I am not sure about the brightness, just use the settings here as a base and then edit them to suite your needs.
post #217 of 3237
hey guys i was playing gta4 and at night time i noticed some areas were very grayish, like black and white movie grayish, there wasn't a hint or tint of color in areas like streets, trees seemed really uncolored, buildings seemed too gray but the windows that lit up were yellow, its like a bright yellow window on a gray building with 0 color, it feels like a color is missing from my tv.
post #218 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

hey guys i was playing gta4 and at night time i noticed some areas were very grayish, like black and white movie grayish, there wasn't a hint or tint of color in areas like streets, trees seemed really uncolored, buildings seemed too gray but the windows that lit up were yellow, its like a bright yellow window on a gray building with 0 color, it feels like a color is missing from my tv.

I find that the colours are muted in the game. Compare the colours in the opening sequence of pictures (when you first start the game up) to the actual game play itself. The colours in-game are definitely muted. I think it is designed to have a film noir type feel.
post #219 of 3237
I also notice colors smear off objects when DNR is on high, is this normal? I have it off and it's fine, but happens on all sources.
post #220 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

I also notice colors smear off objects when DNR is on high, is this normal? I have it off and it's fine, but happens on all sources.


Does this TV have a "crisp", clear picture? I have seen this set at BB, CC and Sears and the picture always looks washed out and "blurry" compared to all other Tv's. It's always next to a 650, panny or sony V3000 so I do not know if the 650 or others are that much better (in other aspects) or the settings are off on all 550 series?
post #221 of 3237
My daughter purchased a Toshiba HL167 (47") and I thought it looked green & not worth the money, so after my urging i took it back to BB after 45days & exchanged it for a 446A550. No problem with the exchange since it was over 30 days. Man, what a bic difference. It blows away the Toshiba. My wife even said it looked better than out Sharp. So, Daughter & husband is happy! See...... Listen to your parents you younger folks! We know better
post #222 of 3237
So I tried those updated settings to mine, and noticed it made the screen way to grainy. So I went back to mine at 5 backlight and everything still looks amazing.
post #223 of 3237
not too many options when your 360 is hooked up via vga (pc) port.

i ended up with dynamic, brightness of 8 and expanded reference levels on the 360 itself. it looks ok for now.
post #224 of 3237
does anyone else notice a "gray" or drop off in some light brown's/ light yellows ? or am i just seeing things?
post #225 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

does anyone else notice a "gray" or drop off in some light brown's/ light yellows ? or am i just seeing things?

I think you are seeing things
post #226 of 3237
lol^. thanks for posting your opinion thebegining. hey guys i have a question, like i said before i have the monster power surge and it has a cable in and out jacks that you can run your coaxial signal cable through and it claims to clean the signal, should i hook it up or directly from the wall to the cable box and from cable box to TV is better? i mean the proccess is longer if i hook it to the monster power surge because then its like this: from the wall into the monster power surge's cable in, from there cable out to the "cable in" in the cable box, from there cable out to the cable in on the tv. what do you think?
post #227 of 3237
Hi guys. I am trying to get my LN46A550 dialed in perfect for GTA IV on my PS3 via HDMI. I thought it looked like crap running at 720p(i have read that the game is actually 630p on PS3). I decided to untick the 720p and 1080i settings in the PS3 to make the game run at 1080p( which it says it supports). That improved it in my eyes, but not enough!

I am wondering how things like DNIe, Dynamic Contrast, and Digital NR affect gaming? Should they be on or off?

Has anyone with the same setup as me found any top notch settings yet?

Thanks for any and all help!
post #228 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitKing View Post

Hi guys. I am trying to get my LN46A550 dialed in perfect for GTA IV on my PS3 via HDMI. I thought it looked like crap running at 720p(i have read that the game is actually 630p on PS3). I decided to untick the 720p and 1080i settings in the PS3 to make the game run at 1080p( which it says it supports). That improved it in my eyes, but not enough!

I am wondering how things like DNIe, Dynamic Contrast, and Digital NR affect gaming? Should they be on or off?

Has anyone with the same setup as me found any top notch settings yet?

Thanks for any and all help!

turn DNR off, i found colors smear off objects when it is on, let me know if you see the same, really obvious in gta4.
post #229 of 3237
its not easy man , trust me, i got my ln46a550 few days ago i at least am looking around trying to combine this and that setting to come up with the best, to my eyes atleast, the setting thebegining posted is great, it has greta contrast and all , the outsider's setting is good too but if u like alot of light on the picture i guess u can call it then id prefer u the dynamic based setting of thebegining
post #230 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitKing View Post

Hi guys. I am trying to get my LN46A550 dialed in perfect for GTA IV on my PS3 via HDMI. I thought it looked like crap running at 720p(i have read that the game is actually 630p on PS3). I decided to untick the 720p and 1080i settings in the PS3 to make the game run at 1080p( which it says it supports). That improved it in my eyes, but not enough!

I am wondering how things like DNIe, Dynamic Contrast, and Digital NR affect gaming? Should they be on or off?

Has anyone with the same setup as me found any top notch settings yet?

Thanks for any and all help!

I've talked to several of my friends who have varying quality TVs and GTA 4 and I've come to the conclusion that despite the rave reviews the graphics aren't 100% fresh.

There is a bit of blurring the game, but again most of my friends get it too, same with the crappy textures on the pavement.

Saddly the graphics don't look as good as Saint's Row which had fairly basic graphics but none the less looked alright.


edit: Scratch what I just said I used all outridervw's setting and DAMN THIS LOOKS SWEET! Thanks man!

NOW if only ANYONE has any good settings for the WII its FUGLY looking, ANYONE? Anyone at all? We should be able to get bright colours but give it some kinda bluriness to kill SOME jaggies.

Can anyone at least tell me where to start with the Wii ? Like I said I need BRIGHT colours(thats what it puts out) and blurriness to compensate for the horrid jaggies, do I do movie, standard or dynamic for starters?
post #231 of 3237
what are your display settings on the TV right now ph00p?


oh and i have a question, on the cable box, i have selected OUTPUT RESOLUTION to be ONLY 1080i, should i enabled 480p aswell? non hd channels will look better with 480p than 1080i?
post #232 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

turn DNR off, i found colors smear off objects when it is on, let me know if you see the same, really obvious in gta4.

I tried this and it looks amazing now along with thebeginnings settings!

Thanks so much. GTA IV is now OPTIMIZED!
post #233 of 3237
what do you have your brightness and backlight set on, SpitKing?
post #234 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

what do you have your brightness and backlight set on, SpitKing?

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 5 (or 6, i like both lol)
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45


Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal
Digital NR - Off
DNIe - On
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off


This is for my PS3 via HDMI
post #235 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitKing View Post

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 5 (or 6, i like both lol)
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45


Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal
Digital NR - Off
DNIe - On
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off


This is for my PS3 via HDMI


Those are my settings! Glad you like them, I do too.
post #236 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

Those are my settings! Glad you like them, I do too.

ah, but those are the easy settings. the challenge is in the white balance!
post #237 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Anyone got to try out my Xbox settings yet?
post #238 of 3237
guys , after testing so many settings i think i have finally found the setting with the most POP and amazing visuals, , its based on thebegining's settings of course so im just going to say what i changed in thebegining's settings, all the rest is the same.

backlight: 7(found picture is much more richer in color and overall quality, 4-5 or even 6 kindda kills the liveness of the image but 6 is ok too i guess but 7 is better )

contrast: 84(like thebegining's)
brightness: 45
sharpness: 50
color:51 (54 on HDMI!)
tint: 55/45

and all the rest the same as thebegining's , so whats difference is my backlight and the brightness, hey these 2 really make a difference, what do you think thebegining/outsider? is the brightness too high/low in your opinion?

and i have a question , for the output resolution on the cable box, should i set it to 1080i ONLY or 480p too? because if i let it use 480p too then standard channels are showed in 480p but if i uncheck 480p and leave only 1080i then i guess it upscales all channels including SD channels to 1080i, correct? which is the best way to go?
post #239 of 3237
Ok i have a noob question. How do you change the output of the cable box? I have Charter HD and all of my HD channels are in 1080i. Can i make it 1080p? I am running the box via Component.


Thanks!
post #240 of 3237
Well since nobody had any suggestions for the Wii settings I just took the default settings and turned sharpness down to 5 and colour up to 75 it seems that higher made the yuck come out, I did a few other things but nothing out of the standard settings posted on here. Overall the wii looks as good as it can, as there isn't a fidelity to preserve the main objective is to kill jaggies while making everything really colourful. It passes for Mario Kart Wii anyway that was all I wanted atm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread