or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 3237
Being that no one has posted any calibrated VGA settings for the titled configuration i decided i'd post what little info i've cobbled together and what settings i thought were good. If anyone manages to actually calibrate this set with a 360 connected through vga Please let us know! For now though, I use these and they look pretty sharp IMHO. Any feed back is welcomed

Make sure your 360 through VGA is set to 'Expanded' black levels in the display portion of the system blade.

First, set your source name in the settings list to 'Game'. I dont know if this really makes a difference but I read somewhere it does. Then go to picture settings and reset them. I used 'Movie' because it gives you access to the warm1/warm2 settings.

Anyway here they are.

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 45
Sharpness:20 ( Its greyed out)

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust: Off (greyed out)
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto (greyed out)
White Balance: Defaults ( all 25s)
Flesh Tone: 0 (greyed out)
Edge Enhancement: off (Greyed out)

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Most the other options are greyed out so leave them alone.

So yes, these are what im using and so far i like them, not entirely satisfied with them but i dont have any calibration software/tools as to be able to get into the meat of the white balance or real depth of anything else however this does get rid of the washed out appearance imho.

drb
post #32 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBaalzamon View Post

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 6
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 45
Sharpness:20 ( Its greyed out)

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust: Off (greyed out)
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto (greyed out)
White Balance: Defaults ( all 25s)
Flesh Tone: 0 (greyed out)
Edge Enhancement: off (Greyed out)

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm1
Most the other options are greyed out so leave them alone.


Aren't you missing Color and Tint?
post #33 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

Aren't you missing Color and Tint?

When you're connected via VGA you cannot edit those things, they dont even show up. At least this has been my experience with the above setup. I believe it is because it pulls the RGB colors directly from the 360 connection.

not 100% sure though, there seems to be a fairly lengthy thread in the xbox gaming area of this forum about samsung tvs and how to connect them and after 5ish pages even they are having a hardtime. any info anyone could contribute to show light on the situation would be ideal

drb
post #34 of 3237
drb, i'll post what i'm using for 360 through vga later tonight to see if you like it any better. the colors aren't as washed out as they were before, but they're definitely not perfect.
post #35 of 3237
i used Ryes audio settings on my 37" and it is so much better

i thought the sound was horrible when i took it out of the box. Enough to even make me want to return it but after inputting ryes settings this is great for me
post #36 of 3237
Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red


Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of trails and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

Sound - I used Rye's settings, seems to really make these speakers great.
post #37 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

This seems to work good on my Directv (HDMI), and HD-DVD (HDMI). Lovin the DNIe setting!
Energy Savings -Off

Sound - I used Rye's settings, seems to really make these speakers great.

I can't seem to modify the Detailed settings with dynamic mode on... Also, I can't touch DNIe without Dynamic mode on. Am I missing something here?

Also - What do people suggest as the best calibration settings for just regular HD watching so far? Outsider/post 1499/etc.

I get the satellite tomorrow so I'm excited to pop in some new settings and enjoy HD hockey in all its glory, haha

Thanks in advance!
post #38 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

This seems to work good on my Directv (HDMI), and HD-DVD (HDMI). Lovin the DNIe setting!

Dynamic Mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 84
Brightness 52
Sharpness 50
Color 51
Tint(G/R) G55/R45 --- Used a color lens to correct the red

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust - High
Dynamic Contrast - High
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Auto
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancement - On
White Balance -- All settings at 25

Picture Options
Color Tone - Normal (Cool 1 was too Blue)
Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of trails and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

Sound - I used Rye's settings, seems to really make these speakers great.

i used these settings for my ps3 which i use for blu ray viewing and it made the set come out great. thankyou for this
post #39 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by myers_37 View Post

I can't seem to modify the Detailed settings with dynamic mode on... Also, I can't touch DNIe without Dynamic mode on. Am I missing something here?

Also - What do people suggest as the best calibration settings for just regular HD watching so far? Outsider/post 1499/etc.

I get the satellite tomorrow so I'm excited to pop in some new settings and enjoy HD hockey in all its glory, haha

Thanks in advance!

I use the settings I posted for regular HD content on Cable, Blue-Ray movies, and my Xbox 360. HD cable content looks great and Blue-Ray looks incredible....Xbox 360 looks great as well.
post #40 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

i used these settings for my ps3 which i use for blu ray viewing and it made the set come out great. thankyou for this

You can't access detailed settings in dynamic mode...so how could you use these settings? Unless I am missing something?
post #41 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I use the settings I posted for regular HD content on Cable, Blue-Ray movies, and my Xbox 360. HD cable content looks great and Blue-Ray looks incredible....Xbox 360 looks great as well.

Thanks, I'm definitely popping them on right away! I don't know why I didn't just wait a day and try them out myself, haha, I just am impatient/excited I guess

My final calibration questions are just for component cable Wii and PS2, both of which I plan to use a lot of in the next couple months. Then I'll have a PS3 most likely, but I want my PS2 to look as nice as possible until then!

Just popping in the component over the composite made a huge difference for the PS2 graphics, looks so much better. But it still looks pretty choppy and I know it could like better. I'm going to mess with it myself but I'm pretty incompetent with the settings, haha

If anyones got PS2 settings I would be thrilled and so thankful. I'll try yours outsider, if it works so well for PS3 maybe it will for component-PS2!
post #42 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

You can't access detailed settings in dynamic mode...so how could you use these settings? Unless I am missing something?

You can't.. Sorry didn't mean to post that part.
post #43 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

You can't access detailed settings in dynamic mode...so how could you use these settings? Unless I am missing something?

i figured he just messed up with the detailed settings listed. Because it looked great as i was going down the line of what he listed. I tried yours out though and it looked good too i just preferred his. Prob could be with my lighting
post #44 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeginning View Post

Digital NR - Off (This setting has lots of trails and ghosting)
DNIe - On (This setting really brings life to this set.)
Film Mode - Auto

Energy Savings -Off

I want too, but I just cant bring myself to use DNIe - it just KILLS shadows.
Example: Man outside in daylight wearing black suit- without DNIe there are shades of grey, with DNIe the entire suit is black...

Film Mode - what does that do?
I have seen shimmering with this on. Example King Kong HD, fur shimmers, and Jack Blacks tweed coat shimmers (more of a flicker) light/dark.

Digital NR - I havent seen this do anything either....

Energy Savings - Does AUTO do anything, seems to be always OFF to me....

... just reading this - sorry if it sounds like a bashing - it really isnt meant to be.
Thanks very much for posting your settings that we can all try and play with them.
post #45 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

I want too, but I just cant bring myself to use DNIe - it just KILLS shadows.
Example: Man outside in daylight wearing black suit- without DNIe there are shades of grey, with DNIe the entire suit is black...

Film Mode - what does that do?
I have seen shimmering with this on. Example King Kong HD, fur shimmers, and Jack Blacks tweed coat shimmers (more of a flicker) light/dark.

Digital NR - I havent seen this do anything either....

Energy Savings - Does AUTO do anything, seems to be always OFF to me....

... just reading this - sorry if it sounds like a bashing - it really isnt meant to be.
Thanks very much for posting your settings that we can all try and play with them.


Well DNIe does much better processing for the tv then with it off. DNR is noise reducer, with it on you have more ghosting and smearing. As for energy savings, well if you are a enviromentalist then use it. If your a videophile then don't.
post #46 of 3237
i want to thank everyone for all the helpful hints. thanks very much.
post #47 of 3237
Sorry I am a little late, but my TV is now ISF calibrated. (LN52A550) The whole process took about 2 hours to perform. Keep in mind that yes every TV is a little different but if my settings can help, or be a good starting point? why not post them. The Blacks are now so much better, and the whites look like whites, not a off color white.

Movie Mode (other settings block out certain settings)

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 90
Brightness = 45
Sharpness = 32
Color = 62
Tint = G57/R43

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = +1
Color Space = Native
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 23
G-Offset = 28
B-Offset = 17
R-Gain = 31
G-Gain = 24
B-Gain = 37

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2
Size = Just Scan (best for HD viewing and gaming, may show distortion on some CBL channels)
Digital N/R = Off
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = Normal Greyed out
Film Mode = off
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off

Enjoy, and lemme know if they help you as well
post #48 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cripsy66 View Post

Sorry I am a little late, but my TV is now ISF calibrated. (LN52A550) The whole process took about 2 hours to perform. Keep in mind that yes every TV is a little different but if my settings can help, or be a good starting point? why not post them. The Blacks are now so much better, and the whites look like whites, not a off color white.

Movie Mode (other settings block out certain settings)

Backlight = 7
Contrast = 90
Brightness = 45
Sharpness = 32
Color = 62
Tint = G57/R43

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Gamma = +1
Color Space = Native
Flesh Tone = 0
Edge Enhancement = On
Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 23
G-Offset = 28
B-Offset = 17
R-Gain = 31
G-Gain = 24
B-Gain = 37

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2
Size = Just Scan (best for HD viewing and gaming, may show distortion on some CBL channels)
Digital N/R = Off
DNIE = Off Greyed out
HDMI Black Level = Normal Greyed out
Film Mode = off
Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off
Entertainment modes = Off

Enjoy, and lemme know if they help you as well


Thanks, I will be trying these today.
post #49 of 3237
These settings or any settings so far have not worked on my 37 550.Skin tones are the problem.All settings show to much pink and red faces,while warm2 seems to help it does not go far enough to fix the problem and when you lower flesh tones down,(as you slide
the flesh tone bar down)it makes the people look like they have a cold until at the end they just look yellow.Adjusting the red gain in the white balance seems to lower the over all red in the picture and I dont want to do that.Color space is the same.I hope its
just my 37 550 and not everybodys 37 550 thats doing this.Also in just scan mode I have a yellow vertical line on the left side from top to bottom on the edge of the screen in some HD situations,but not in 16:9 mode.I am a Samsung Fan Boy as they say.
I have 3 of them, for the love of god, I even have a Samsung Micro Wave!
I have a service call set up with Samsung and will see if that helps, if not I will bug them and see if I can get 40 for a few bucks more.
I thought this would be the correct place to put this thread since I can not correctly
calibrate my set. Buy the way,All of my settings were done Over The Air through the built in TV tuner itself. Turning on Dish network does not change the problem Nthstar
post #50 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nthstar View Post

These settings or any settings so far have not worked on my 37 550.Skin tones are the problem.All settings show to much pink and red faces,while warm2 seems to help it does not go far enough to fix the problem and when you lower flesh tones down,(as you slide
the flesh tone bar down)it makes the people look like they have a cold until at the end they just look yellow.Adjusting the red gain in the white balance seems to lower the over all red in the picture and I dont want to do that.Color space is the same.I hope its
just my 37 550 and not everybodys 37 550 thats doing this.Also in just scan mode I have a yellow vertical line on the left side from top to bottom on the edge of the screen in some HD situations,but not in 16:9 mode.I am a Samsung Fan Boy as they say.
I have 3 of them, for the love of god, I even have a Samsung Micro Wave!
I have a service call set up with Samsung and will see if that helps, if not I will bug them and see if I can get 40 for a few bucks more.
I thought this would be the correct place to put this thread since I can not correctly
calibrate my set. Buy the way,All of my settings were done Over The Air through the built in TV tuner itself. Turning on Dish network does not change the problem Nthstar

Sorry to hear. I have read in the other forum that apparently the 37" and 40" are not samsung panels, and have lower specs. If its in your budget, try for the 40 or 46 even.
post #51 of 3237
Thanks Cripsy, Id be happy with it if I could dial it in, their might be some mad 37 550 owners out here. Nthstar
post #52 of 3237
How do these sets handle motion...sports,etc?
post #53 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

How do these sets handle motion...sports,etc?

GREAT! Just be sure to turn off Digital NR (or set to low).
post #54 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

GREAT! Just be sure to turn off Digital NR (or set to low).

I'm going to take a real close look at this set. I narrowed it down to the 650 and 550...I really don't care about the 120Hz....do these settings work well with 1080P/24 FPS? Any "jutter" or grain?
post #55 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

I'm going to take a real close look at this set. I narrowed it down to the 650 and 550...I really don't care about the 120Hz....do these settings work well with 1080P/24 FPS? Any "jutter" or grain?

I use the settings i posted for 1080P/24 FPS...haven't tried cripsy yet. They work good. Not sure what "Jutter" is, but all my movies and such look as good as ever.
post #56 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

Not sure what "Jutter" is, but all my movies and such look as good as ever.

When the camera "pans" during a scene is it choppy or smooth?
post #57 of 3237
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post

When the camera "pans" during a scene is it choppy or smooth?

I have never noticed any choppy-ness to any of the movies I have watched. Just the typical 3:2 pulldown (I think that is right). I have a very good eye for things like that, and have never noticed anything being choppy at all, ever.
post #58 of 3237
I found some settings that I was pretty comfortable with, but gave cripsys a try anyways, being that they were professionally calibrated and all. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder, because I didn't like cripsy's setting at all, and preferred my own that I had found through lots of playing and testing. So its really all up to the individual eye, just play with your settings and you will find something that you like eventually.

Cripsy, just out of curiosity, did you like your picture a lot better after it was calibrated?
post #59 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mglick25 View Post

I found some settings that I was pretty comfortable with, but gave cripsys a try anyways, being that they were professionally calibrated and all. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder, because I didn't like cripsy's setting at all, and preferred my own that I had found through lots of playing and testing. So its really all up to the individual eye, just play with your settings and you will find something that you like eventually.

Cripsy, just out of curiosity, did you like your picture a lot better after it was calibrated?

That is a very good point. I tried these settings and found them a bit too bright for me. I think that your individual room configuration i.e. ambient light also plays a big part. I wish there were night and day presets!
post #60 of 3237
I don't like them as much as 1499. a bit too warm for me, but I will give them time and see what happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LNXXA550 Calibration/Settings Thread