Originally Posted by EvilJeff
It seems that the second half of this thread has disappeared. In it I outlined the procedure I used to remove my anti glare coating on my XBR960. It was very easy, I did NOT use any chemicals, unless you want to include the lemon Pledge I used as a final step.
If anybody knows where the rest of this thread went, let me know. Here's A REPEAT of what I had posted:
What you will need:
1) X-acto knife
2) single edged razor blade
3) butter knife
4) lemon pledge (or whatever)
5) soft cloth
How it's done:
1) Trace the outer edge of the screen with the x-acto knife. Make sure you've got a nice new blade. You don't need to press hard.
2) Again using the x-acto knife, trace across an upper corner so you have a small triangle in the corner. Use the tip of the x-acto knife to seperate the film from the glass a bit. Just make a small pocket.
3) Stick the butter knife in this small slit and push it towards the corner of the screen. When you get to the corner, the film should break away clean. If it doesn't, gently trace the outline of the screen again with the x-acto knife.
4) You get the idea. Once you've got a corner pulled away you can grab it an pull downward, not outward, on the film. If you pull outward, the film will rip too much. With some strategic slitting and butterknifing, you'll have the entire film off in 10 minutes. 95% of the glue should come off with the film.
5) Now, use the single edged razor blade and carefully scrape off the rest of the glue, just like the dude at the garage scrapes the old inspection sticker off your car windshield.
6) Nothing in this world is perfect, so now spray the screen with that wonderful smelling lemon pledge and polish to perfection with a nice soft terrycloth. Remaining smears of glue come right off by spraying some lemon pledge on the cloth and giving it a bit of elbow grease.
I made this procedure up as I went along. The whole process took me 30 minutes and I did not melt the bezel, blow up the house, deliver a plague upon the earth, etc. etc.
......Here come some pictures !!!!!!