or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Why is my ps3 knocking me offline?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is my ps3 knocking me offline?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
For some reason my ps3 seems to just knock my router out of whack a few times a day, before ps3 never had a problem with the router it was rock solid, after adding the ps3 I set it up for wireless (which I also have a few laptops here running wireless that before were fine) but seems now that ps3 is in the mix, once its on (like today the kids are playing rockband), I get knocked off my wired and wireless connections often (once every 20 mins or so).

If ps3 isn't on the router and wireless is fine and rock solid, but once ps3 is on and they start using it for online play or updating things etc, it knocks my computers all offline (wireless or wired) until I go reset the router.

Is there some setting in the router I need to change or add or something in the ps3 setup menus I need to fix or change?

My router is a linksys WRT54GS v7 with speedboost and I have a comcast cable modem, 2 laptops using wireless g and the ps3 using wireless as well, but again once that ps3 does stuff online it knocks everything out and I have to reset the modem just to get back online.

Bill
post #2 of 17
What ver is the Linksys G router? You might want to check the wireless router compatibility sticky at the top of the page. Once you know exactly what router version you have..do a search there. Maybe you can find fix for it in that thread. Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router?
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
I have the WRT54GS v7 model and actually just went to linksys page and updated it to the newest version of Jan 9th 2008 firmware v7.50.5 (for my version that is the newest firmware).

I will check above and see if there are any mentions that might help, i did email linksys tech support on this in the past but never got a reply sadly...

Only really effects me when gaming and pc use are at same time but still like to resolve it if possible, so will do some more reading...but updating the firmware was one step closer...

Bill
post #4 of 17
Good luck. You might also try for ha-ha's..turning UPnP off in the router settings.
post #5 of 17
You may also need to set up a Static IP for the PS3 and/or PC's. I have heard similar reports to other users that sometimes if the IP addresses aren't set (fixed) one machine may fight another for an IP address and knock each other out. That sounds a lot like what you are experiencing. So if you haven't done it yet: Static IP, Open Ports for PS3, turn off UPnP, and consider DMZ of the IP for the PS3.
post #6 of 17
OP, Although I don't have your issue, I am using a WRT54GS v5. I do have UPnP disabled in the router settings because with Media Server enabled on the PS3 I would keep getting disconnected from the PSN.

If you are not streaming anything from your computers to the PS3 I would disable the Media Server option on the PS3.

Note: I have my PS3 wired to the router and my mac is connected wirelessly.
post #7 of 17
Move your Xbox 360 away from it. It's jealous.



Only kidding. I've had the same problem. It was the router. Crappy Actiontech from Verizon.

Dogdoctor is correct. Try that and see if it stays stable.
post #8 of 17
I thought UPnP was important for online features.

I think it would really nice if someone made a guide(with pictures) on how to set-up a static IP, open ports, turn on/off UPnP, use DMZ, and other networking stuff for the PS3. Like Turd Ferguson did with media sharing.

I think it would be great for the people with NAT Type 3 and remote play(through the internet) problems.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipz View Post

OP, Although I don't have your issue, I am using a WRT54GS v5. I do have UPnP disabled in the router settings because with Media Server enabled on the PS3 I would keep getting disconnected from the PSN.

If you are not streaming anything from your computers to the PS3 I would disable the Media Server option on the PS3.

Note: I have my PS3 wired to the router and my mac is connected wirelessly.

i have heard of this also. you need to disconnect the ps3 media server and upnp. routers work great with the ps3. i find the best way is"keep it simple dummy" let the router and ps3 automatically figure the connection. just make sure to get to nat type 2.
post #10 of 17
Try turning the broadcast option on your router off.
post #11 of 17
I get signed out of the PlayStation network quite often. I think it's a bandwidth issue though, as I only get about 115kbps up/down. It signs me out and right back in when downloading demos. Ah well.
post #12 of 17
I have the same issue..

it only happens when the media server is turned on..

Static IP address
No UPnP
Ports Forwarded.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post

For some reason my ps3 seems to just knock my router out of whack a few times a day, before ps3 never had a problem with the router it was rock solid, after adding the ps3 I set it up for wireless (which I also have a few laptops here running wireless that before were fine) but seems now that ps3 is in the mix, once its on (like today the kids are playing rockband), I get knocked off my wired and wireless connections often (once every 20 mins or so).

If ps3 isn't on the router and wireless is fine and rock solid, but once ps3 is on and they start using it for online play or updating things etc, it knocks my computers all offline (wireless or wired) until I go reset the router.

Is there some setting in the router I need to change or add or something in the ps3 setup menus I need to fix or change?

My router is a linksys WRT54GS v7 with speedboost and I have a comcast cable modem, 2 laptops using wireless g and the ps3 using wireless as well, but again once that ps3 does stuff online it knocks everything out and I have to reset the modem just to get back online.

Bill

I've noticed this too over the past month or so. I wonder if PS3 software upgrades have anything to do with it, because my wireless connection used to be very reliable.

Just yesterday, around 7pm 100+ sessions got dumped on Motorstorm.
post #14 of 17
I have had a similar problem, however I beleive (I do not KNOW) that is my ISP. Bell Sympatico (Canadian ISP) is now throttling torrent traffic by terminating UDP streams when it sees many connections to one IP address. Once I stop my torrents, the PS3 stays up fine.

It seems Bell is one of the many ISP that send RST (reset) signals to people during peak hours.
(http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?...28220&from=rss)

I am using a WRT54g (running OpenWRT) - however, the problem followed a Broadcomm Router, a D-link, and the WRT54g (both factory and custom firmware). Turning off torrents is the only thing that keeps me online.
post #15 of 17
Use the DMZ with a static IP and you'll be fine. I had the same problems as a lot of other people with my old Linksys router and my PS3. Now things are just fine.


If you want to know how to do DMZ with a static IP let people know in this thread. Someone will explain it.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm2003 View Post

I've noticed this too over the past month or so. I wonder if PS3 software upgrades have anything to do with it, because my wireless connection used to be very reliable.

Just yesterday, around 7pm 100+ sessions got dumped on Motorstorm.

Since the last two upgrades, I'm having a hell of a time staying online, and I'm WIRED!
post #17 of 17
My recommendation would be to turn off the "speedboost" option on your router and bring it back down to 54Mbps speeds. The 108 and other "boosted" speeds are not as stable when having to work with multiple clients or "non-speedboost" designed ones.

Other things to do is to see if your running your microwave or 2.4Ghz cordless phones at the same time. They tend to interfere with 2.4Ghz wifi signals.

-Splints
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Why is my ps3 knocking me offline?