or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Playing MKV files through VMC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Playing MKV files through VMC

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 
I have searched other threads for answers to my problem but have not been able to find a solution.

I have some MKV files that i can play fine when not in VMC buy using core AVC and media player classic but when i go into VMC to play the file it says it was unable to locate or open the correct codec.

Has anyone else had success with getting MKV files to play through VMC ??
post #2 of 74
rename the extension to avi.
post #3 of 74
You can use CCCP
post #4 of 74
First you need to edit the registry so that VMC can recognize the .mkv extensions.

The what I did to get 100% smooth playback was to install Haali splitter and core AVC. If you have FFdshow installed make sure you have vc-1 and h.264/x.264 decoding disabled in FFdshow codec settings.

Once you do all that you should be able to get 100% smooth .mkv playback in VMC.

- Josh
post #5 of 74
Im interested in backing up my HDDVD's and Blurays to my HDD. Will VMC recognize them in the DVD library??

Has anyone gotten this to work??

Thanks
post #6 of 74
VMC uses different decoders. What I had to do is use radlight filter manager to set the priority of various directshow filters to get it to work.
post #7 of 74
Media Player Classic has its own internal filters and decoders, which include a Matroska splitter and an H264 decoder, so succesful playback there doesn't mean other apps like Media Center will be able to play them.

As pointed out above, you should install the Haali Media Splitter which can split .mkv files, and if you already have CoreAVC installed you're already covered for the decoding portion.

Also, you can associate .mkv files with Media Center by right-clicking on a file, choosing Open With... and selecting Media Center. No need to edit the registry.
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener View Post

Im interested in backing up my HDDVD's and Blurays to my HDD. Will VMC recognize them in the DVD library??

Has anyone gotten this to work??

Thanks

No, VMC will not see them. However with My Movies you can rip your discs and browse your library through the VMC interface, although you need PowerDVD to play them. My Movies will launch it automatically for you.
post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula View Post

No, VMC will not see them. However with My Movies you can rip your discs and browse your library through the VMC interface, although you need PowerDVD to play them. My Movies will launch it automatically for you.

This is not correct, or at least it's not what I've seen. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed and VMC recognized mkv's right out of the box. Once I installed Halli, CoreAVC, and AC3Filter, they play back perfectly also.
post #10 of 74
I'm having absolutely no success at all playing MKV files in VMC. It plays fine through Windows Media Player and Classic.

This is a 1080p file w/ ac3 audio

I have tried renaming it to avi and it has not worked

I followed the following instructions

I did this
C:\\windows\\system32\\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\\windows\\ehome\\ehshell.exe

I installed COREAVC w/ Haali and made sure AVI support was enabled
I disabled h.264/x.264 and VC-1 in FFDshow



I am running a 8800Gt by Nvidia w/ Vista Ultimate 64bit quad core

what am I doing wrong?


Is there a step by step tutorial to get this thing to work?



thanks
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

This is not correct, or at least it's not what I've seen. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed and VMC recognized mkv's right out of the box. Once I installed Halli, CoreAVC, and AC3Filter, they play back perfectly also.

Maybe, but did it recognize them as "DVDs" or just as video files? i.e. do they appear in the Video library in VMC or the DVD library?
post #12 of 74
Worked fine afterwards for me. copy the code below and paste into notepad and save as "mkv.reg". make sure it doesn't add the .txt extension afterwards. it should now see the mkv files properly. make sure the files are in the monitored folders.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="audio"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\MIME Types\\video/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mkv"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mkv"
"Extension.Key"=".mkv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\MIME Types\\audio/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mka"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mka"
"Extension.Key"=".mka"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Groups\\Video\\mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mkv extensions."
"Extensions"=".mkv"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Matroska Media File"
"MIME Types"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Groups\\Audio\\mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mka extensions."
"Extensions"=".mka"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Matroska Media File"
"MIME Types"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Extensions\\.mkv]
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"PerceivedType"="video"
"MediaType.Description"="Matroska Media File"
"Extension.Handler"="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.MIME"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Extensions\\.mka]
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"MediaType.Description"="Matroska Media File"
"Extension.Handler"="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.MIME"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\Descriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File (*.mkv;*.mka)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\MUIDescriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\Types]
"819"="*.mkv;*.mka"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\MLS\\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
"mka"="audio"
post #13 of 74
now i can't view mlv using media player or VMC

no tutorial?
post #14 of 74
I read on here somewhere, forgot where, but what I did on new installs of windows to get mkv as well as other file extension support in VMC was to close VMC, go to an mkv file with windows explorer, then right click on said file, in this case an .mkv file, then go to "open with"

once you are in the section where is say choose application to open the file, click the down facing arrow to show other programs, and choose Media Center.

From then on it, MCE will recognize said file extension, will show up in your videos folder and will play them with no issues, barring you have CoreAVC, FFdshow, or some other codec installed that supports .mkv playback.

for me I have CoreAVC, Halli splitter, and FFdshow installed with vc-1, h.264, and mpeg4 disabled in FFDshow so that if forces CoreAVC to decode the .mkv files.

- Josh
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoX View Post

I have searched other threads for answers to my problem but have not been able to find a solution.

I have some MKV files that i can play fine when not in VMC buy using core AVC and media player classic but when i go into VMC to play the file it says it was unable to locate or open the correct codec.

Has anyone else had success with getting MKV files to play through VMC ??

Forget the reg hacks. Just install "My Movies". I love that add on.
post #16 of 74
You need graphedit to show you what each mkv files is using for codecs.

Then you use radlight filter manager to set the priority of each codec.

Then mkv's play just fine.
post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2300NX View Post

Forget the reg hacks. Just install "My Movies". I love that add on.

That is exact what I am doing. Register the mkv file as a movie and play it from MM. You don't need to do any reg hacks. At runtime, the mkv file will be passed to vmc/WMP from MM. Using this way, wahtever file you can play using WMP, it will play with VMC.
post #18 of 74
Again the whole "right click and open with" and choosing media center works EVERY time.

- Josh
post #19 of 74
what codecs should I have graphedit use to play it? do you have a screen shot of it working correctly ?

thanks
post #20 of 74
More important is what graphedit says you are currently using. Then you use radlight filter manager to change the priority of various codecs until graphedit shows you are using the ones you want.

AC3filter for audio, CoreAVC or Cyberlink for video.
post #21 of 74
thanks

bourne-ac3audio.mkv video - WMvideodecoder DMO - VMR Input0 (Video Render)

audio - mpa decoder filter - ac3 filter - audio input in (rendered) default directsound device


i downloaded the trial of COREAVC and installed it, i'm not paying for it until i verify it works. It is not showing up in the filters section, what category should it be listed under?
post #22 of 74
I am also using My Movies to play *.mkv files, but the chapters don't work. The "next track" button on my remote simply skips ahead 30 seconds. On Media Player Classic the chapters work fine. Any idea of what the problem would be there? Otherwise VMC plays back the files fine, but chapters are actually pretty important to me.
post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocramp View Post

I am also using My Movies to play *.mkv files, but the chapters don't work. The "next track" button on my remote simply skips ahead 30 seconds. On Media Player Classic the chapters work fine. Any idea of what the problem would be there? Otherwise VMC plays back the files fine, but chapters are actually pretty important to me.

Media center doesn't support chapters, or "next" with any media playback of .avi, divx, mkv, ect... for media files like that, it only supports skip ahead.

- Josh
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

Media center doesn't support chapters, or "next" with any media playback of .avi, divx, mkv, ect... for media files like that, it only supports skip ahead.

- Josh

Well, that's disappointing. Does wmvhd support chapters? I really don't want to transcode, this takes way too much computing power and i'd prefer to keep the quality of the rips.

Are people just living with that or do they use an external player launched within VMC?
post #25 of 74
for me I just live with it, don't really care for chapters, but what I do miss that I get with MPC is picking up where you left off. I wish I could get that in VMC.

- Josh
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

for me I just live with it, don't really care for chapters, but what I do miss that I get with MPC is picking up where you left off. I wish I could get that in VMC.

- Josh

i believe you can do that with media control
post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAm500 View Post

i believe you can do that with media control

Yep, but you need to use ffdshow with that, not coreavc. However its one of the most useful plugins out there so it may be worth it, especially if you watch a lot of mkvs, navigating is so much easier with it.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithPete View Post

Yep, but you need to use ffdshow with that, not coreavc. However its one of the most useful plugins out there so it may be worth it, especially if you watch a lot of mkvs, navigating is so much easier with it.

You do have to have ffdshow installed, but you can still use core AVC as your decoder.

In ffdshow goto codecs and disable all of ffdshows codecs except for under Raw Video. Select all supported for Raw Video.
Doing this allows me to keep CoreAVC as the video decoder and retain the resume and chapters function of the Media Control Plugin.
Not sure about other functions as Resume and Chapters are all I use the plugin for.

BTW, coreAVC looks miles better than the ffdshow decoder.

ballenjr
post #29 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballenjr View Post


BTW, coreAVC looks miles better than the ffdshow decoder.

ballenjr

Really? I thought the general consensus was opposite.
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp View Post

Really? I thought the general consensus was opposite.

I can't speak for the consensus but I definately find it more pleasing. The lower CPU utilisation is also a bonus.

What do others think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Playing MKV files through VMC