As mentioned earlier the front face frame is removable. I needed to go this route cause I wanted to build a shoulder (back of face frame) in the back for my cable management. I will attach some Velcro straps down each side to secure and hide the wires. Also I needed the room to get the custom equipment faceplate's in. This presented somewhat of a challenge. After many hours of thinking, over BBQ and Beer
, I pondered French cleats, knock down hardware and a host of other lame brain idears. Since I am putting rope light in the front I also was concerned about light leaking out the side behind the face frame. Then one morning sitting in the shop having my coffee I it came to me and here is what I came up with
I ran a cut down the length of the face frame and glued in a strip of 1/8 x 3/4 flat stock, fit nice and snug
I drilled some holes in the metal and installed thread certs in the rack. Works out great!
Then I set up the ghetto paint booth version 2
And went to town. I used Sherwin Williams low sheen black trim paint and thinned ~ 15% flotrol and a 10% water until it ran about 40 seconds through the viscosity cup. and tada!
I like how the grain shows through, I was very careful when I selected the ply so I had fairly tight grain and no cathedrals. this piece did have three on the top that I cut off
And all the shelves in
Turned out pretty cool I think. Tomorrow I will buff it down and start to load the equipment. I want to get a good 24 hour cure before I start to muck with it.
I also need to paint all the standard clips and rigged up a board with two sided tape and stuck some magnets on to hold- notice the black on I contemplated using a sharpie and this was the test. worked out but way not enough patience for that!
Kept the little guys from blowing all over the place.
Off to lug the doors up to get some color on them!