or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Funai (Magnavox, Sylvania, Insignia, Etc.) Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Funai (Magnavox, Sylvania, Insignia, Etc.) Discussion Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 1625
Might be a bad unit. I've had no fringing problems, either.
post #212 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

where did you get that information ?? i got a harmony and just checked the database and its there -- maybe you typed in the wrong model number ?

check again - its there -

The database must have updated when I entered the model number. The setup was a little strange. I answered about 3 questions concerning the Mag Blu-ray and had the Harmony learn 3 codes, the next thing I new, I was back to the Add Device page. The page indicated the correct model number for the Mag that I was trying to find.

I believe what happened is it copied all the remote settings from a basic Mag DVD player and assigned them to the Mag Blu-ray. Whatever happened it seems to work just fine.
post #213 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelike2 View Post

The database must have updated when I entered the model number. The setup was a little strange. I answered about 3 questions concerning the Mag Blu-ray and had the Harmony learn 3 codes, the next thing I new, I was back to the Add Device page. The page indicated the correct model number for the Mag that I was trying to find.

I believe what happened is it copied all the remote settings from a basic Mag DVD player and assigned them to the Mag Blu-ray. Whatever happened it seems to work just fine.

thats great - as long as it works i hope to get mines by next week - but i dont have my AVR to test it with - would have to just hook it to the TV directly till i get my AVR back -
post #214 of 1625
I have another question about the Magnavox player, which I picked up yesterday at Wallyworld.

Most DVD players have a setup selection of "video/film/auto", which either forces 2/2 framing, 3/2 pulldown framing, or automatically sets via the 3/2 pulldown flag.

The Magnavox only has "auto" and "video", both of which sound ill-named. See page 34 of the manual.....


Quote:


Auto DEFAULT : suited for playing back video material discs (TV shows or animation)

Video: the progressive mode will detect 24-frame film material (movies) and automatically select appropriate progressive mode


Boy this sounds backasswards. Sounds like their "video" mode is what most players call auto, and their "auto" mode is what most plyers call video.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
post #215 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls View Post

I have another question about the Magnavox player, which I picked up yesterday at Wallyworld.

Most DVD players have a setup selection of "video/film/auto", which either forces 2/2 framing, 3/2 pulldown framing, or automatically sets via the 3/2 pulldown flag.

The Magnavox only has "auto" and "video", both of which sound ill-named. See page 34 of the manual.....





Boy this sounds backasswards. Sounds like their "video" mode is what most players call auto, and their "auto" mode is what most plyers call video.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Good catch. It never occured to me while I set mine up.
here' what the Philips brother say. Now what the heck that Video means

De-interlacing Mode Auto “Auto”:
Automatically detects the film or
the video content, and
appropriately converts it.
“Video”:
Select when the picture is
distorted when using “Auto”.
post #216 of 1625
I would guess "auto" is the right setting and that the player will sense which kind of program is present (video/film), but it would appear that the manual is FUBAR in this respect.
post #217 of 1625
Dennis, thanks for your catch. That issue has been driving me crazy with the Mag I was setting up for a friend. It seems that it should be set to Video not Auto if you have a 1080/24 input. I even called Mag about this and service reps had no clue. Page 34 of the manual states "Auto" suited for playing back video material disks (TV shows or animation). "Video, The progressive mode will detect 24-frame film material (movies) and automatically select appropriate progressive mode.
post #218 of 1625
I have the Mag player. Hooked it up and did the intial setup. All worked fine, except I wasn't blown away by the PQ.

Tried several Blu Rays and although all played and sounded fine, there just seemed to be something slightly off with the picture.

I took the manual with my to my pc to get the model number to update my Harmony and while the remote was updating, I flipped through the manual.

I noticed the mode button on the remote and actually read what it does. Although the manual isn't very detailed, it does describe a black level control. You can only activate this control with a disc playing.

I checked it out once I got my Harmony configured and, on my unit, the blackness control setting was set to "ON" by default. Reading the manual seemed to indicate that the "OFF" setting passed the information from the disc without modification, which is what I want.

Switched the setting to off and the pq improved. I noticed it most in skin tones on my set, where they now appeared natural.

I rechecked all the menu settings on the setup menus, and didn't see this adjustment. I though it strange that it wasn't there, but figured it must have something to do with the need to have a disc playing to alter the setting. Setup won't activate with a disc playing.

Aside from being somewhat plain looking, the Mag has played everything I've thrown at it so far (Blu Ray/DVD). I haven't tried audio CD or the picture viewing on the unit.

Operationally, the unit seems well made and solid. I also have a Toshiba A2 sitting in the rack and the Mag's drawer mechanism operates much more smoothly than the A2.

Value to me is a matching of price and performance. So far, the Mag seems to be a good value with the Walmart $100 giftcard.
post #219 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I checked it out once I got my Harmony configured and, on my unit, the blackness control setting was set to "ON" by default. Reading the manual seemed to indicate that the "OFF" setting passed the information from the disc without modification, which is what I want.

Are you using the Mag's HDMI output or YPbPr output? According to the manual (the Note on page 30), the "Black level" setting does not affect the HDMI output.
post #220 of 1625
I have not messed with the video options. I'm going to try to switch it from "auto" to "video" and see what happens later today.
post #221 of 1625
I'm running mine into a 720P Optoma HD72 so for me 1080/24 aren't an issue. And yes mine's sitting on my Tosh HD-A2 which seems visually more appealing but cheaper in build quality. Too bad the Magnavox doesn't have 6 analog audio outputs or it would be ideal for my situation.
post #222 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls View Post

Too bad the Magnavox doesn't have 6 analog audio outputs or it would be ideal for my situation.

Agree. My Onkyo 501 has 5.1 analog inputs as well, and would have loved to use them. But not at the price point other BD players are going for.

Other than the small problem with the Reservation Road DVD, I'm very happy with this player.
post #223 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I checked it out once I got my Harmony configured and, on my unit, the blackness control setting was set to "ON" by default. Reading the manual seemed to indicate that the "OFF" setting passed the information from the disc without modification, which is what I want.

I tried pressing the mode, and bytoggleing the black level. It did not make any difference to my picture. I guess this could be due to the fact that on my PJ I have set HDMI input to Enhanced (vs Normal) (Z2000). The enhanced mode shows BTB contents. I can try flipping that setting and see if the black level from player makes any effect.

On the other hand, I was totally impressed with the PQ while watching MI-3.
post #224 of 1625
Now that we have several new Magnavox NB500 BD owners posting here, I want ask a question that I had posted early in this thread. If you are a new NB500 owner and feel you can technically address this please do so and report your findings.

QUESTION: Does the Magnavox NB500 support a native conversion directly from 1080p/24 (recorded on the Blu-ray Disc) to 1080p/60 by applying 2:3 pulldown -OR- does it internally decode the 1080p/24 then convert it to 1080i/60 by interlacing the video and next applying 2:3 pulldown then apply de-interlacing to create a 1080p/60 ouptput. This latter approach was used on certain 1st generation BD players (e.g, Samsung) and is used on the recently released Philips BDP7200 (probably also be made by Funai). This latter approach to creating a 1080p/60 output degrades the output image as it will introduce jagged edges to diagonal lines (or edges) in the video image and potently it will introduce other digital artifacts. In order to test for this you will need a HDTV display with a native resolution of 1080p whose HDMI inputs will accept an 1080p/60 input. Here is an excerpt from the CNET review of the Philips BDP7200 that discusses this issue and suggests what to look for:

"We started our image-quality tests of the BDP7200 by looking at Silicon Optix's HQV test suite on Blu-ray. The BDP7200 handled the initial video-resolution loss test well, displaying the full resolution of Blu-ray Discs, although we did notice some jaggies on the rotating white bar. Plenty of jaggies was also visible on the three shifting three lines, and the edges of the lines would break up for a second when they changed directions. The Philips didn't fare any better on the "Film Resolution Loss Test," failing the first test patterns and also struggling on a panning shot across Raymond James Stadium, with a good deal of moire showing up in the stands.

We switched over to program material to see if these issues cropped up in regular usage. We set the BDP7200 in the most-frequently used mode, 1080p at 60 frames per second, and popped in Ghost Rider. At the end of chapter six, we clearly made out jaggies in the grille of the RV as the camera pulls away. We also saw jaggies pop up in Sunshine. About 4 minutes and 26 seconds into the movie, the lines of the countertop aren't smooth, and above that, there are more jaggies in the grating on the wall. A little later, about the five minute mark, the rim of the glasses on the table appear to be "shimmering," followed by the horizontal lines on Captain Kaneda's shirt, which break up with jaggies. While some discs didn't suffer from this as much--such as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest--it cropped enough times that it would annoy videophiles. We confirmed that the jaggies were not in the source by switching the BDP7200 into 1080i mode--which let our Sony KDL-46XBR4 handle the processing instead--and watching the same scenes, which did not have the previously mentioned jaggies. "
post #225 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Now that we have several new Magnavox NB500 BD owners posting here, I want ask a question that I had posted early in this thread. If you are a new NB500 owner and feel you can technically address this please do so and report your findings.

QUESTION: Does the Magnavox NB500 support a native conversion directly from 1080p/24 (recorded on the Blu-ray Disc) to 1080p/60 by applying 2:3 pulldown -OR- does it internally decode the 1080p/24 then convert it to 1080i/60 by interlacing the video and next applying 2:3 pulldown then apply de-interlacing to create a 1080p/60 ouptput. This latter approach was used on certain 1st generation BD players (e.g, Samsung) and is used on the recently released Philips BDP7200 (probably also be made by Funai). This latter approach to creating a 1080p/60 output degrades the output image as it will introduce jagged edges to diagonal lines (or edges) in the video image and potently it will introduce other digital artifacts. In order to test for this you will need a HDTV display with a native resolution of 1080p whose HDMI inputs will accept an 1080p/60 input. Here is an excerpt from the CNET review of the Philips BDP7200 that discusses this issue and suggests what to look for:

"We started our image-quality tests of the BDP7200 by looking at Silicon Optix's HQV test suite on Blu-ray. The BDP7200 handled the initial video-resolution loss test well, displaying the full resolution of Blu-ray Discs, although we did notice some jaggies on the rotating white bar. Plenty of jaggies was also visible on the three shifting three lines, and the edges of the lines would break up for a second when they changed directions. The Philips didn't fare any better on the "Film Resolution Loss Test," failing the first test patterns and also struggling on a panning shot across Raymond James Stadium, with a good deal of moire showing up in the stands.

We switched over to program material to see if these issues cropped up in regular usage. We set the BDP7200 in the most-frequently used mode, 1080p at 60 frames per second, and popped in Ghost Rider. At the end of chapter six, we clearly made out jaggies in the grille of the RV as the camera pulls away. We also saw jaggies pop up in Sunshine. About 4 minutes and 26 seconds into the movie, the lines of the countertop aren't smooth, and above that, there are more jaggies in the grating on the wall. A little later, about the five minute mark, the rim of the glasses on the table appear to be "shimmering," followed by the horizontal lines on Captain Kaneda's shirt, which break up with jaggies. While some discs didn't suffer from this as much--such as Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest--it cropped enough times that it would annoy videophiles. We confirmed that the jaggies were not in the source by switching the BDP7200 into 1080i mode--which let our Sony KDL-46XBR4 handle the processing instead--and watching the same scenes, which did not have the previously mentioned jaggies. "

Ron, is this a deal buster for you on these Funai players. Do we know how the BD-30 and the Samsung 1500 handle this. I have a Panasonic TH-50PE700U that supports 1080p/60 and not 24. What would this mean for me.

Thanks
post #226 of 1625
It seems like all those conversion steps degrade the picture quality, so from my point of view it'd be a deal breaker. I suppose I need to read the manual, but if the TV accepts 1080p/24 that would be basically a non-issue anyway, right?
post #227 of 1625
i am getting this player in this friday - its my first blu ray so hard for me to comment - but if your TV takes 1080p24 - from what i read - thats the best option to use and the best PQ from the player --

i have the movie Hairspray in blu ray - just waiting to get the player and watch it this weekend -- i rent them from BB -

dont own any - i have the oppo 981 and liked that very much with SD discs - so i am sure this player will impress me -

i post back once i use it - but it is my first blu ray - so will be hard to compare for me -

i am willing to accept that it wont be perfect - hey for the price paid - come on - with the Walmart gift card - it cost less than the 981 i have -

and no matter how good any upconvert player is - its not even close to the real HD blu ray --
post #228 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

QUESTION: Does the Magnavox NB500 support a native conversion directly from 1080p/24 (recorded on the Blu-ray Disc) .....[/i]

Here's what I found while watching MI-3. I have Sanyo Z2000. The HDMI resolution on the player was Auto. Sanyo displays input information when you press "i" on the remote. When you do so, it shows the frequency of input source as 24.0 Hz.
When on a normal HDTV (from Dish Receiver), it shows it as 60.0 HZ.
Now internally what MAG does, I have no clue, but based on the above it seems it may not be doing the monkey jumping you mentioned.

EDIT: It also shows 60.0 HZ when Philips 5982 (Upconverting SD-DVD player) is connected.
post #229 of 1625
Hooked up the Magnavox player from Wal-mart today, and it seems to work great. It actually looks better out of the box to me than it does online. I've tried TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and they both work just fine with my Onkyo 875. I also have a PS3 handy for comparison of quality. I cannot discern any noticeable quality difference in video, and audio isn't any different either. The only thing that bugs me thus far is the load times... usually around a minute or so. For a cheap player, it's a great buy if your receiver can handle the HD bitstreams.
post #230 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post

I tried pressing the mode, and bytoggleing the black level. It did not make any difference to my picture. I guess this could be due to the fact that on my PJ I have set HDMI input to Enhanced (vs Normal) (Z2000).

According to the manual (the Note on page 30), the "Black level" setting does not affect the HDMI output.
post #231 of 1625
I'm a little upset. Bought the Insignia at BB yesterday and hooked it up via HDMI to my Optoma HD70. I tried everything under the sun to get 1080p24 but it is GREYED OUT. I might return it for a PS3. I rented two BD discs and thought they looked good at 1080p60 but I noticed some motion artifacts. Motion artifacts are worse on my Toshiba HD-A2's HD material. I realize my projector can only do 720p but the projector recognized the 1080p signal and stated so on screen.

I've read that the latest firmware (0.6c) to my Optoma projector can do 48hz. I've read people have used the PS3 to success with my projector and I was hoping to do the same with the Insignia (Magnavox). If anyone has any tricks or suggestions, let me know.

Thanks...............
post #232 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharysmith View Post

I'm a little upset. Bought the Insignia at BB yesterday and hooked it up via HDMI to my Optoma HD70. I tried everything under the sun to get 1080p24 but it is GREYED OUT. I might return it for a PS3. I rented two BD discs and thought they looked good at 1080p60 but I noticed some motion artifacts. Motion artifacts are worse on my Toshiba HD-A2's HD material. I realize my projector can only do 720p but the projector recognized the 1080p signal and stated so on screen.

I've read that the latest firmware (0.6c) to my Optoma projector can do 48hz. I've read people have used the PS3 to success with my projector and I was hoping to do the same with the Insignia (Magnavox). If anyone has any tricks or suggestions, let me know.

Thanks...............


check that the settings are correct on the player for output at 1080p/24 -- but it will only output if the device - TV - connected to the player is able to accept 1080p/24


it may very well be that your TV can not - so its greyed out

check your TV manual
post #233 of 1625
I need a force 1080p24 option for the Insignia BD player. Is there a firmware update? I might have to return this.
post #234 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharysmith View Post

I need a force 1080p24 option for the Insignia BD player. Is there a firmware update? I might have to return this.


i am no expert at this - but if the device can not handle this setting - the player wont output it and what good would forcing the player to output it do if the device cant process it ??

i dont think there is any firmware update for that device or the mag.. version -
post #235 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

i am getting this player in this friday - its my first blu ray so hard for me to comment - but if your TV takes 1080p24 - from what i read - thats the best option to use and the best PQ from the player --

i have the movie Hairspray in blu ray - just waiting to get the player and watch it this weekend -- i rent them from BB -

dont own any - i have the oppo 981 and liked that very much with SD discs - so i am sure this player will impress me -

i post back once i use it - but it is my first blu ray - so will be hard to compare for me -

i am willing to accept that it wont be perfect - hey for the price paid - come on - with the Walmart gift card - it cost less than the 981 i have -

and no matter how good any upconvert player is - its not even close to the real HD blu ray --

Careful with Hairspray even for an initial opinion of the quality of BD. You can read through the treads on the software forum about that movie on BD.
post #236 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Careful with Hairspray even for an initial opinion of the quality of BD. You can read through the treads on the software forum about that movie on BD.

oh - whats wrong with that movie ? in blu ray - thats the only blu ray movie i have right now -

what am i looking out for ?
post #237 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I picked up a Mag for a friend who did not want to spend the extra money for a BD30. $298 vs $449. I can confirm that the Mag uses the Panasonic Uniphier chipset. It is slower loading as has been shown by others than the BD30. The build seems very good. A metal case that is not light. It seems nearly as heavy as my Toshiba XA2. Picture and sound quality are very good. Similar to my BD30. I had no sound dropouts on BD disks. I am not sure who makes the loader but the rumor is Sony. No markings on the loader. As reported it does bitstream both Dolby TrueHD and DTSMA with no problem. It can also output bitstream 7.1 audio for both Dolby True HD and DTS MA. I hooked this unit up to my Onkyo 605 to check this out. Regarding the remote. I did not have the same issues reported by StainKzo. I found the remote to be quite responsive. I tried it from different places in the room and it worked with no issues. I am wondering if the receiver for the remote is defective in StainKzo's unit. I have also discovered that the unit will play DVD+ recordable disks but will not play DVD-recorded disks. This could be an issue for some. I also do not love the menu system on this player in the setup. Another limitation is the 90 warranty on labor. Walmart sells a two year extended warranty for $18 which might be worth considering. It would be interesting to compare this unit to the new Samsung 1500 which is $50 more and has a eithernet port. The Samsung is much lighter and smaller and possibly can be upgrade to a 2.0 player in the future. I have not been happy with Samsung players in the past but this one could be better.


I'm confused on the magnovox NB500MG9.. At least by this thread, it says it doesnt bitstream DTS-MA Has anyone physically confirmed it bitstreams DTS-MA? How big of a deal breaker is this.. ie: what percentage of bluray titles are DTS-MA to begin with?

It does do decoding of TrueHD at least i would assume.. so that you could send the PCM signal to a receiver that is capable of matrixing 5.1 to 7.1 tracks? (IE: the yamaha 663 will only matrix pcm sources, not bitstream) ?

I just jumped on this at walmart.com the other day, so i'm hoping it wasnt a waste (i dont care about BDlive for right now, just want bitstreaming of everything and 1080p).


Thanks
post #238 of 1625
It doesn't decode ANY of the HD audio codecs. It is a bitstream-only device like the Panasonic BD30.
post #239 of 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post

It doesn't decode ANY of the HD audio codecs. It is a bitstream-only device like the Panasonic BD30.

Ok, i guess this page had mis-information on the decoding part: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...33&postcount=1

But does it bitstream the dts-ma at least?

Anyone know or can comment on how important is it to have a receiver that can matrix bitstreamed 5.1 to 7.1.. does it sound that much better?
post #240 of 1625
Yes, that page is mistaken. Page 14 in the manual explains what it does and how it does it. There are asterisks that explain that it will send stripped down LPCM of DTS-HD & TrueHD like that would be on a DVD. It will bitstream both of the HD audio codecs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Funai (Magnavox, Sylvania, Insignia, Etc.) Discussion Thread