or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

Are there any differences between putting the ps3 on 'dvd' as opposed to 'game / TV' ?

No.
post #212 of 9462
hey guys i will be getting a ps3 soon,so i was wondering whether the 606 is worth the premium.my options are sony 720,820.onkyo 605,606,yamaha 663.

now i wont a reciever that can output DTS HD MA,i know the ps3 can send them as pcm ,but would want the AVR to be a bit future proof.
post #213 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

hey guys i will be getting a ps3 soon,so i was wondering whether the 606 is worth the premium.my options are sony 720,820.onkyo 605,606,yamaha 663.

now i wont a reciever that can output DTS HD MA,i know the ps3 can send them as pcm ,but would want the AVR to be a bit future proof.

The 606 is an excellent choice for this. It will decode the codecs if you change to a new blu-ray player in the future, but it's also got a healthy dose of features that will be useful for a while yet.
post #214 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I have my PS3 set to output PCM instead of bitstream. At least with earlier versions of the PS3 firmware, if you had it set to bitstream and were playing a Dolby TrueHD track, it would output a "hidden" Dolby Digital track; the trick was to set it to PCM. When the 606 is receiving PCM, it doesn't know if it was originally from dts-hdma, dolby truehd, etc.

You can hit the "Display" button on the PS3 remote to see what audio format is being sent out.

As far as I'm aware Bluray discs are only encoded with only one of the highest Dolby Codecs (Dolby True HD) or DTS (DTS_HD Master Audio) but not both of these - probably due to space.

This means when the PS3 internally decodes and sends LPCM channels to the amp via HDMI, it is irrelevant as to whether it 'knows' which of these they came from as only one will be on the disc.
post #215 of 9462
I have the 606 and while playing my blu-ray player (Panasonic bd30k) via hdmi, my 606 just shows it as dolby D. Ive tried 2 blu-ray movies... 300 and Pirates of the... . Anyone with my particular blu-ray player have any setting tips for me would be greatly appreciated.
post #216 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbynum View Post

I have the 606 and while playing my blu-ray player (Panasonic bd30k) via hdmi, my 606 just shows it as dolby D. Ive tried 2 blu-ray movies... 300 and Pirates of the... . Anyone with my particular blu-ray player have any setting tips for me would be greatly appreciated.

Which soundtrack are you playing on the disks? They both have DD soundtracks. On Pirates of the Caribbean, you should be playing the PCM soundtrack. On the 300, you should select either PCM or TrueHD.
post #217 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

As stated by someone else, the volume should usually be set at 1/3 to 1/2. The frequency should be set to maximum so the receiver can tweak that as it sees fit.

My sub has volume and Phase settings. is the phase dial the same as frequency?
post #218 of 9462
Hi Kplex and ty for reply. Well i went into Pirated menu and there was indeed 2 5.1 options...one was dolby d and the other offered is uncompressed 5.1. I selected this time the uncompressed 5.1 and my 606 automatically went to multi ch st. Problem with that mode is voice doesnt come out of the center channel only but thru the others speakers as well. I have not changed my panny blu-ray settings at all. Perhaps there is a setting in there that is wrong by default?
post #219 of 9462
Hey guys (& gals),

Just ordered the 606 to replace an aging Sony. Currently the wife doesn't like seeing all the HT gear, and I hate to tell her the 606 is even bigger. Just curious if anyone has located the receiver in an enclosed space?

I've got TV over fireplace, with bookshelves on either side. The bottom of the bookshelves are cabinets...not air tight, but closed doors none the less. Inside is 2X3 feet, so plenty of space inside the cabinet but it is enclosed.

Anyone know if this is doable? I'm guessing not, but wanted to check in to see if any of you have this setup. Assuming the answer is no you can't do this, would cutting 2-3 small holes (2 inch roughly) in the top of the cabinet make a difference.

thanks for any feedback or speculation.
post #220 of 9462
I played with mine some more today with BRs. The 606 is not near as powerful as my HK. I had Blackhawk Down in the PS3 and I cranked the 606 to max and it wasn't real loud. I didn't hear much coming out of the surrounds in BHD. Yesterday when I tried BF2 on the 360, the surrounds were alittle too loud. The sound isn't consistant. I am not happy and I am thinking of returning it. On the PS3, the 606 had PCM on the display so I assume it was 5.1. I also have the hdmi as pass thru but I can swear my pq on my new sammy ln52a750 isn't as good running it thru the 606 as opposed to running my cable box straight to the tv. I need to play with it some more but not impressed at the moment.
post #221 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolver98 View Post

I played with mine some more today with BRs. The 606 is not near as powerful as my HK. I had Blackhawk Down in the PS3 and I cranked the 606 to max and it wasn't real loud. I didn't hear much coming out of the surrounds in BHD. Yesterday when I tried BF2 on the 360, the surrounds were alittle too loud. The sound isn't consistant. I am not happy and I am thinking of returning it. On the PS3, the 606 had PCM on the display so I assume it was 5.1. I also have the hdmi as pass thru but I can swear my pq on my new sammy ln52a750 isn't as good running it thru the 606 as opposed to running my cable box straight to the tv. I need to play with it some more but not impressed at the moment.

Not to revive the old PCM vs bitstream issue, but my setup I'm bitstreaming from the new sammy 1500 and the DTS MA sounds great. If I have the volume above 45 I get complaints to turn it down.
post #222 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

My sub has volume and Phase settings. is the phase dial the same as frequency?

The phase control can help compensate for the location of your subwoofer relative to your seating position. If you move around a room where there's deep bass playing, you'll usually find that in some parts of the room the bass sounds much louder than others. It's because of the size of the bass waves and which part of the wave hits your listening position. The phase control can shift the wave up to half a cycle, and that changes where the peaks and valleys are in the room.

The frequency control on a sub controls the low pass filter which makes sure only low frequencies suitable for a subwoofer are fed to the sub's amplifier and then on to the driver. Since your receiver is already doing that for you, ideally you want to bypass the LPF on a sub.
post #223 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbynum View Post

No idea... was wondering that as well. I noticed that when running the Xbox 360 (using hdmi), my receiver just one time reported it as Dolby D.... every other time i turn on the 360, the 606 reports it as PLII and when i scroll thru the available selections on the 606 and Dolby D isnt available. I may just use the optical out on the 360 instead. Anyone else seen this using hdmi as audio for the xbox360 into the 606?

Just hooked up my new 606. I hooked up my 360 via HDMI and the 606 displays Dolby Digital all the time. I have Dolby Digital enabled in the 360 menu. Maybe you need a 1.3 HDMI cable?
post #224 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post

The 606 is an excellent choice for this. It will decode the codecs if you change to a new blu-ray player in the future, but it's also got a healthy dose of features that will be useful for a while yet.

well whats worrying me is the pop up noise in onkyos is the issue solved now,if so is it solved in the 605, is it worth paying the premium for the 606.i dont mind a few less HDMI ports.
post #225 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by meladdin View Post

Just hooked up my new 606. I hooked up my 360 via HDMI and the 606 displays Dolby Digital all the time. I have Dolby Digital enabled in the 360 menu. Maybe you need a 1.3 HDMI cable?

As far as the 360 goes i figured out the problem. I had bought that $50 hdmi cable designed for the 360 that has that optical jack on it as well. I took that cable out of line (and returned it for my $50 refund hehe) and replaced it with just standard hdmi cable i had and now it shows dolby d when running the 360. BTW, what is that other option on the 360 that mentions wma pro or something like that? Should i be running that thru the 606 instead of standard dolby d?
post #226 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Not to revive the old PCM vs bitstream issue, but my setup I'm bitstreaming from the new sammy 1500 and the DTS MA sounds great. If I have the volume above 45 I get complaints to turn it down.

What source were you using? I believe I had my volume at 60-65 on BHD. I am a believer that you should have more power in a receiver than you need. I don't ever recall maxing out the HK.
post #227 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post

well whats worrying me is the pop up noise in onkyos is the issue solved now,if so is it solved in the 605, is it worth paying the premium for the 606.i dont mind a few less HDMI ports.

Check the 605 Owners Thread, but I believe the DTS-HS MA "bitstream bomb" popping has been corrected for all Onkyos via a DSP firmware update. So if you happen to purchase one with an old FW, you can do the update yourself using a CD/DVD player with optical out.

The 606 has a few other improvements over the 605 other than two more HDMI inputs, so YMMV.

shinksma
post #228 of 9462
well i finally got everything set up last night when i got the rest of my new hdmi cables. got a ps3/cable box/hd dvd player hooked up via hdmi and my xbox360 going in through component and optical. everything goes to my plasma through the hdmi out. works great and no issues with any of the components not working correctly with the receiver.

now i have to sit down and reprogram my harmony to work with the new setup. anyone do that yet? i quickly tried to do it last night before i ran out of steam but i'm guessing the new onkyo isn't in the system yet (i love my harmony remote but absolutely hate the software btw) so it wasn't picking up the correct inputs. might end up having to sit there and make it learn the commands that i need.
post #229 of 9462
My 606 arrived yesterday, doubleboxed from J&R.

Set up was a breeze, and now I have 1080p24 going through receiver to TV from HD DVD and BD players. And I tried out a DTS-HD MA HD DVD last night, and once I set the player to the correct setting, everything was just fine. BD player doesn't have capability to bitstream and doesn't decode DTS-HD MA, so there is an obvious choice for the next step in upgrading...

Things will also be much more convenient when switching sources: my old receiver would switch between only three video inputs using the main selectors: to use a fourth input, I'd have to dive into a submenu setting, and the submenu selection-switching wasn't discrete, so I couldn't program a Harmony macro for it.

I haven't done an Audyssey set up or even given it much of a work out - too busy with other stuff last night, and wanted to watch some TV too.

After watching one hour of TV at moderate volume, the receiver gets about as warm as my old JVC 401 receiver under the same conditions, which was not known as one of the cooler models. I'll have to give it a wring-out tonight or later this week to see how warm it really gets...

Also, I did not notice any audio-sync delays between TV show (House on Fox in HD via cable) and commercials - it all seemed to be broadcast in DD, though, so maybe I need to watch more regular cable on channels that broadcast commercials in regular stereo/mono.

shinksma
post #230 of 9462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolver98 View Post

What source were you using? I believe I had my volume at 60-65 on BHD. I am a believer that you should have more power in a receiver than you need. I don't ever recall maxing out the HK.

To be fair, a lot of it has to do with the source. My 360 is much louder than by PS3 for some reason. Also, I've got some BDs and HD DVDs that are mastered louder than others. I 've pushed the 606 as loud as 60-65 in some cases, and kept it as low as 45 in others.
post #231 of 9462
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2891 View Post

now i have to sit down and reprogram my harmony to work with the new setup. anyone do that yet? i quickly tried to do it last night before i ran out of steam but i'm guessing the new onkyo isn't in the system yet (i love my harmony remote but absolutely hate the software btw) so it wasn't picking up the correct inputs. might end up having to sit there and make it learn the commands that i need.

I had to figure out the inputs through trial and error. I can't remember what they were off the top of my head though.
post #232 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2891 View Post

now i have to sit down and reprogram my harmony to work with the new setup. anyone do that yet? i quickly tried to do it last night before i ran out of steam but i'm guessing the new onkyo isn't in the system yet (i love my harmony remote but absolutely hate the software btw) so it wasn't picking up the correct inputs. might end up having to sit there and make it learn the commands that i need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1NLP View Post

I had to figure out the inputs through trial and error. I can't remember what they were off the top of my head though.

The Harmony allows you to select the 606 (make sure you type in "TX-SR606" as model), and offers up the source selections as (IIRC):

DVD
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5
Tape
Tuner
CD

Mapping to the source mode button on the front panel of the receiver:

DVD is DVD, Video 1 is the next one over (VCR), Video 2 is CBL/SAT, Video 3 is Game/TV, Video 4 is AUX. Tuner is Tuner. Didn't try the others.

Hope that helps...

shinksma
post #233 of 9462
Can this receiver be put on its side? I am not sure I have enough room on my stand for the receiver to get enough air circulation. But if I put it on its side next to my TV stand that should be plenty.
post #234 of 9462
please disregard
post #235 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post

Update:

It seems the TivoHD and the 606 play nicer now, as the LONG lag for HDMI sync is gone... its very quick now..

Disregard my other question then

Is the Onkyo remote able to handle the tivo functions or should I plan on a logitech?
post #236 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The Harmony allows you to select the 606 (make sure you type in "TX-SR606" as model), and offers up the source selections as (IIRC):

DVD
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5
Tape
Tuner
CD

Mapping to the source mode button on the front panel of the receiver:

DVD is DVD, Video 1 is the next one over (VCR), Video 2 is CBL/SAT, Video 3 is Game/TV, Video 4 is AUX. Tuner is Tuner. Didn't try the others.

Hope that helps...

shinksma

great thanks for the info!

i thought it might have been pulling info from the 605, hence the different input names (although it did accept the name correctly as you stated above). will try this tonight when i get home to get back down to one remote.
post #237 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu58 View Post

Can this receiver be put on its side? I am not sure I have enough room on my stand for the receiver to get enough air circulation. But if I put it on its side next to my TV stand that should be plenty.

To be honest, I think the only concern you'll have is maybe the airflow from convective heating/cooling may be affected, since the air won't be rising out the "top", it will go out the side.

I don't believe there is anything electro-mechanical in the receiver that requires horizontal installation, but I've never tried it with any of my receivers. The manual does not state horizontal placement is required, but maybe it just assumes it.

If you do set it on its side, make sure you put it on "feet" or something to get it off the surface, to allow air in the side that is now the bottom. And don't put it on carpet.

IMHO, AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, yadda yadda...

shinksma
post #238 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 767pilot View Post

Disregard my other question then

Is the Onkyo remote able to handle the tivo functions or should I plan on a logitech?


Buy a Harmony... they are wonderful. I've owned the 880 and now the 890 Pro and they are amazing. No more calls from my wife or visitors asking how to use the TV.
post #239 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

To be honest, I think the only concern you'll have is maybe the airflow from convective heating/cooling may be affected, since the air won't be rising out the "top", it will go out the side.

I don't believe there is anything electro-mechanical in the receiver that requires horizontal installation, but I've never tried it with any of my receivers. The manual does not state horizontal placement is required, but maybe it just assumes it.

If you do set it on its side, make sure you put it on "feet" or something to get it off the surface, to allow air in the side that is now the bottom. And don't put it on carpet.

IMHO, AFAIK, IIRC, YMMV, yadda yadda...

shinksma

And put the heaviest side on the bottom.
post #240 of 9462
Now that ive discovered this website (AVS) im wondering if i purchased the right blu-ray player for my 606. I have the Panasonic BDP30. I can still return it if need be. Ive read its limited on its decoding capabilities. Do i need to be concerned about that since i own the 606? Im new to the AV world and sorta bought the player on a spur of the moment. If i should look at a different player, which one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread