or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread - Page 305

post #9121 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageSTi View Post

For those of you who were able to get your 606 fixed by Onkyo for free out of warranty (for HDMI issues), how did you go about doing this?

Did you email, call, or mail them? How do
I contact them, and when I do, what do I say to them to try and get it repaired out of warranty? Thanks in advance, hopefully I can get my receiver fixed by Onkyo since it costs almost as much to fix as it does to buy a new receiver...

I just got mine back from an out of warranty repair that Onkyo covered. I called the toll free number listed earlier in this thread (I'll try to find it and edit this) and explained my situation. EDIT: The phone number is 1-800-229-1687.

I said that I've had my receiver for 2 years (almost to the day actually from when I called) and explained the problems with my hdmi devices. I told them that I understand that it's out of warranty, but that I know that this is a wide spread issue and I was requesting a one-time warranty repair exception.

The gal I spoke with said she would need to run it by her supervisor and asked me to email her my original receipt (it was from Amazon.com) and my serial number and a description of the issues. I emailed it to her and the next day I received an email back saying they are granting my request but that I'd have to ship it in to a service center.

All in all, I'm definitely glad I put myself out there. I just got my receiver back (although it took 8 weeks) and it's working great. My only cost was to ship it.

One piece of advice, I'd advise to pay a UPS store to ship AND pack it. Considering the cost of this unit, if I packed it myself and anything happened to it, they will not cover it since it was customer packed. It was about $10 for them to pack it and they'd be on the hook for the damages in the event anything happened. The total cost to ship it via ground service was $38 so it is a little spendy. It'll depend on where the nearest service center is to you as well.

Good luck!
post #9122 of 9462
I just switched from Cerwin Vega 8 ohm speakers to Jamo 6 ohm. They sound great. Is there a place on the 605 to switch to 6 ohm on the 606, or is it done automatically? I can't seem to find it if there is a place to switch.

Also, should fronts be set at 80, 100, 120, or 150? I know not to Full Band. Thanks
post #9123 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldtoo View Post

I just switched from Cerwin Vega 8 ohm speakers to Jamo 6 ohm. They sound great. Is there a place on the 605 to switch to 6 ohm on the 606, or is it done automatically? I can't seem to find it if there is a place to switch.

Also, should fronts be set at 80, 100, 120, or 150? I know not to Full Band. Thanks

Hi wouldtoo, Menu -> Speaker Setup -> Speaker Settings

Setting front crossover depends on your speakers.
post #9124 of 9462
Thanks for getting back so quickly. When I go to speaker settings, the only thing that comes up is speaker type. Have normal. Where do I go from here?

Thank you so much
post #9125 of 9462
Still can't find where to switch to 6 ohm, but just ran Aud. It just set to the following which I found interesting

Sub. Yes
Front. Full Band
Center. Full Band
Surround. 100
LPF of LFE. 120


Left. -4
Center. -8
Right. -4
Surr Rt. -5
Sure Lt. -3
Sub. -8

I will try it on these settings and see how it goes. I was confused about the Fronts abs Center being Full Band.

New to this so I am learning
post #9126 of 9462
Recently I have intermittently lost the sound to my speakers except for my sub. This occurs maybe twice a week while watching television. Everything will be fine but when I change the tv channel I will only hear sound from the sub. Once it happens all the tv channels will be this way. The picture is not affected at all. Restarting the Onkyo will fix it. I have ATT uverse which has also been freezing recently. Any thoughts on whether this might be a receiver problem or something else? I have also recently changed to a new television and wonder if it might be HDCP related or just a problem with u-verse.
post #9127 of 9462
I've had my 606 since Christmas 2008, and this is the first time I bothered to read through this thread. I had no idea the hdmi problem was so wide-spread! Also, I didn't even realize the 606 had an OSD until I read this thread, so I guess mine went out right away. I haven't experienced any of the other hdmi issues, however, so I guess I'm lucky. If it goes out, I'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade.
post #9128 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyp79 View Post

I just got mine back from an out of warranty repair that Onkyo covered. I called the toll free number listed earlier in this thread (I'll try to find it and edit this) and explained my situation. EDIT: The phone number is 1-800-229-1687

I just called and was told that I need to provide a copy of my receipt, the serial number, a description of the issues I'm experiencing, and my contact info to them, via fax to the following fax number (201)934-7823. The CS rep didn't take any info from me and didn't offer any opinion on whether they would cover the repair. She did say that it would take a couple weeks to get back to me. But there was no surprise or annoyance that I was requesting out of warranty repair, as if they are used to it.

My service center is a 5 mile detour on my way home from work, so if they pay for it, I'll report back on the timing of getting it in and out and the success of the repair.
post #9129 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

I just called and was told that I need to provide a copy of my receipt, the serial number, a description of the issues I'm experiencing, and my contact info to them, via fax to the following fax number (201)934-7823. The CS rep didn't take any info from me and didn't offer any opinion on whether they would cover the repair. She did say that it would take a couple weeks to get back to me. But there was no surprise or annoyance that I was requesting out of warranty repair, as if they are used to it.

My service center is a 5 mile detour on my way home from work, so if they pay for it, I'll report back on the timing of getting it in and out and the success of the repair.

Sounds pretty much the same to what they told me. It took about 18 hours to get a response. You're lucky that you have a service center nearby! Good luck.
post #9130 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyp79 View Post
Sounds pretty much the same to what they told me. It took about 18 hours to get a response. You're lucky that you have a service center nearby! Good luck.
Thanks! 18 hours sounds a lot better than a couple of weeks. Now i just need to find my Amazon receipt (which my wife seems to have "filed" somewhere) so I can get the clock ticking.
post #9131 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

Thanks! 18 hours sounds a lot better than a couple of weeks. Now i just need to find my Amazon receipt (which my wife seems to have "filed" somewhere) so I can get the clock ticking.

I found my Amazon receipt online. They had the receipt online for it even though I purchased it 2 years prior.
post #9132 of 9462
Thank god I saw this thread.

I was just about to give up hope on this 606. I replaced the capacitors with no luck tonight.

Going to call them Monday morning and see what they say.
post #9133 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post
Thank god I saw this thread.

I was just about to give up hope on this 606. I replaced the capacitors with no luck tonight.

Going to call them Monday morning and see what they say.
Good luck with them doing anything out of warranty now that you've worked on it. Might as well cut your losses and get another one. If I ran a service center, and a receiver came in with unauthorized mods to it, I'd either send it back at the owner's expense, or fix it at the owner's expense. Either way, owner pays, it'll cost a bunch, and no warranty.

Good luck with that.
post #9134 of 9462
Hey guys,

Seems like everybody out there has a different way of fixing the HDMI issues by replacing capacitors. I found a video on utube and decided to tackle it myself since I am an aircraft avionics tech. I have read some posts where people tell you to twist the old caps off. DEFINITE NO NO. You don't want to brake the trace on the board. You can take a soldering iron and work one side back and forth. Everybody has their own opinion, but DO NOT twist them off with pliers or snips. Your only asking for problems. Anyways, I replaced 4 caps on one side and 1 cap on the other side with OEM style caps but at 6.3v. This baby runs flawlessly (knock on wood). It's been great ever since, maybe even better than when it was new. I've talked with several gurus on this problem and they say there's a 75 to 80 percent success rate with this repair. I hope other people are as lucky as I am.

Thanks,
post #9135 of 9462
Hello everyone,

Last Saturday I decided to give a try on my out of warranty 606 after having an increasing handshake times with my 1080p sources PS3, BD player and Seagate Media Player, I replaced all the capacitors listed in the fix provided in this forum, I'm good at soldering, process went flawless, I spent no more than 30 minutes to complete it. Actually the handshake problem was fixed the receiver switches faster among sources than before, OSD is there, unfortunately after the fix no sound comes from the receiver, ZERO, NADA. Seems like all the sources are affected even the tuner, which is pretty weird. I followed good anti-static discharge procedures. If anyone have any suggestion I appreciate your help.
My first Onkyo and probably the last one, first receiver that quites on me, I'm kind of disappointed because I paid a good money 30+ months ago and I used the receiver not as much as my previous ones, I'm wondering if using it more should uncovered this stupid design flaw sooner.

Thanks !
post #9136 of 9462
My 606 started exhibiting the HDMI issue this past December (the same month the warranty expired). It now takes about 1 minute and a half to recognize my HDMI devices (PS3 / HD DVD / BD player). Anyway, I called Onkyo this morning, after reading of the success that a few of the AVS members had with receiving an out-of-warranty repair, but was instead told to reset my receiver back to its factory settings and to call back if it doesn't solve the issue.

Update: I reset my 606 and the problem is still persistent (no surprise there). Anyway, called Onkyo back and they had me e-mail them my info, s/n and a description of the problem. Hopefully they'll agree to fix it for no charge.
post #9137 of 9462
Just a data point:
I shipped my 606 to All Tech Electronics in New Jersey on Feb. 1 for out-of-warranty repair and it was returned a little over two weeks later. The invoice said they replaced 8 capacitors, 4 of one kind and 4 of another, plus the HDMI board. So far, it's working well.
post #9138 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddi View Post

Just a data point:
I shipped my 606 to All Tech Electronics in New Jersey on Feb. 1 for out-of-warranty repair and it was returned a little over two weeks later. The invoice said they replaced 8 capacitors, 4 of one kind and 4 of another, plus the HDMI board. So far, it's working well.

How much was the repair?
post #9139 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbushong View Post
Good luck with them doing anything out of warranty now that you've worked on it. Might as well cut your losses and get another one. If I ran a service center, and a receiver came in with unauthorized mods to it, I'd either send it back at the owner's expense, or fix it at the owner's expense. Either way, owner pays, it'll cost a bunch, and no warranty.

Good luck with that.
Called Onkyo up and they agreed to do an out-of-warranty repair.

The place is local, so I actually called them this morning and was honest and told them I replaced the capacitors to fix the issue, but it didn't fix the issue.

While she couldn't guarantee that their techs won't say it's not fixable because of what I did, she did sound confident that replacing capacitors isn't that big of a deal. It would be a bigger deal if I tried to pass off a water-damaged board or something, for example.

So if they don't fix it, I'm out $50. I think I'm going to take the gamble.
post #9140 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post

Called Onkyo up and they agreed to do an out-of-warranty repair.

The place is local, so I actually called them this morning and was honest and told them I replaced the capacitors to fix the issue, but it didn't fix the issue.

While she couldn't guarantee that their techs won't say it's not fixable because of what I did, she did sound confident that replacing capacitors isn't that big of a deal. It would be a bigger deal if I tried to pass off a water-damaged board or something, for example.

So if they don't fix it, I'm out $50. I think I'm going to take the gamble.

Did Onkyo verify that they would do the out of warranty repair over the phone? They made me fax my receipt and a written request to them. I got no response, and I just followed up. They're making me re-fax my request.

What is the $50 that you mention? Is that what you put into the capacitor repairs, or is that a charge quoted by the repair shop?

Thanks for the info.
post #9141 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil98 View Post

Did Onkyo verify that they would do the out of warranty repair over the phone? They made me fax my receipt and a written request to them. I got no response, and I just followed up. They're making me re-fax my request.

What is the $50 that you mention? Is that what you put into the capacitor repairs, or is that a charge quoted by the repair shop?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I called Onkyo, they told me to fax over my info to them (copy of the receipt, serial number, a short explanation of the issue, my phone number, address, etc).

They then called me back and left a message, and the rep Don gave me his direct line and told me to call him back. I did, and he said he'd grant me the repair, gave me the info of a local place to take it to, and then told me to get a claim number from the repair shop and call him back with it.

Went to the repair shop, got the claim number and haven't paid anything out of pocket. Don then faxed the info to the repair shop to get the process started.

Should the repair shop come back to me saying they can't do the repair because I replaced the caps, then the shop will be charging me $50 for the initial diagnostic. Otherwise, Onkyo foots the bill completely.
post #9142 of 9462
I also called onkyo, they just gave me a number to an authorized repair center. And to tell them what was going on, and they'll do the "out of warranty" repair. I was surprised i wasn't asked for receipt or serial number etc.
post #9143 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkthrone View Post

I also called onkyo, they just gave me a number to an authorized repair center. And to tell them what was going on, and they'll do the "out of warranty" repair. I was surprised i wasn't asked for receipt or serial number etc.

It seems possible that Onkyo may have surrendered on this issue. I'm 8 months out of warranty, and they signed off on it, although I did have to fax a receipt and request for service.

I dropped my unit off yesterday. Despite the assurance from Onkyo that I didn't need to take anything with me, Norman's Electronics in Atlanta wouldn't accept it without something in writing from Onkyo authorizing the out of warranty repair. When I called ahead, they told me to bring the receipt, but they couldn't use that when I got there, because I'm out of warranty. Onkyo ended up emailing something to them after a quick phone call from me. Norman's accepted, and told me to expect a 7-10 business day turnaround time.

All in all, this was pretty easy for something that I thought would cost me >$300. Thanks to those who shared their experience with out of warranty repairs for the good of the group!
post #9144 of 9462
So I have had an issue for over a year with my 506 and finally feel like fixing it. When it looses power I loose all my settings (digital audio selection, hdmi and so on). Is there a battery in it or anything I can do to fix it?
post #9145 of 9462
Well, I had hoped that the replaced HDMI board would be 3D-compatible but I confirmed this weekend that it's not. A Blu-Ray 3D movie in my PS3 plays fine when the PS3 is directly connected to the TV (Mitsubishi WD-60738 with the latest firmware, 12.07), but not when connected to the 606. The PS3 appears to hang -- the TV shows a blank blue screen and only the Eject button on the PS3 remote seems to work. I couldn't even power it down remotely, I had to go over to it and hold down the power button until it restarted. Before I started, I even updated the PS3's system to the latest, 3.56.

I don't have any 3D glasses yet so I couldn't actually watch the movie but I could tell it was in 3D by the doubling of everything. I tried both The Last Airbender [no comments!] and Resident Evil: Afterlife.

At least now I have a completely working receiver that I can try and sell! Thanks for that Onkyo! However, I doubt if my next one will be an Onkyo. I'll probably go with a Denon or Yamaha, something carried by my local Best Buy. (I got the Onkyo from NewEgg, because I really wanted a silver one.)
post #9146 of 9462
I see posts from people saying they'll never buy from Onkyo again due to the HDMI issue. I'm not an audio expert but the general opinion seems to be that Onkyo receivers tend to have very good sound. Onkyo has a two year warranty when most only have one year or less. They seem to be doing a make-good on this particular issue by repairing units even after the warranty has expired. They seemed to have fixed the underlying design issue. Man, what else do people want Onkyo to do, throw themselves if front of a bus?!?

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Onkyo based on the above, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
post #9147 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeracerx View Post

They seem to be doing a make-good on this particular issue by repairing units even after the warranty has expired. They seemed to have fixed the underlying design issue. Man, what else do people want Onkyo to do, throw themselves if front of a bus?!?

Maybe... sell products that aren't designed to burn themselves up in the first place? The board placement inside the SR606 restricted proper convection air flow. I can't trust any company that builds products like that.
post #9148 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Maybe... sell products that aren't designed to burn themselves up in the first place? The board placement inside the SR606 restricted proper convection air flow. I can't trust any company that builds products like that.

Obviously not having the flaw to begin with is ideal. However, if your criteria for purchasing from a company is that all their products must be flawless, everytime, you may have difficulty finding that in the real world of moderately priced consumer electronics.

I find a company's response to a problem like this almost as important as the initial quality. I had a problem with a Samsung LCD TV that was a design issue. There final solution was to buy back the TV from me. I was so impressed with their response that I used the money to buy another Samsung. A different model of course, but another Samsung.

If every Onkyo product had design issues with them then everyone should stay away from them. I don't believe that is the case with Onkyo. But, to each his own.
post #9149 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeracerx View Post

Obviously not having the flaw to begin with is ideal. However, if your criteria for purchasing from a company is that all their products must be flawless, everytime, you make have difficulty finding that in the real world of moderately priced consumer electronics.

But if your criteria for purchasing is only narrowed down to companies that don't release products that self-destruct, there is a wide range of moderately priced consumer products to choose from. I have receivers from Yamaha, Panasonic, and even a very old Onkyo that are still running perfectly.

Quote:


If every Onkyo product had design issues with them then everyone should stay away from them. I don't believe that is the case with Onkyo. But, to each his own.

Companies don't stay in business very long by releasing nothing but faulty products, but the SR606 has made me question if Onkyo is occasionally willing to let some junk pass through. If they had acknowledged that covering a board with heatsinks with another board was a bad idea before releasing it, they could have redesigned it and moved the board over (it's not a large board if I remember right). I suspect they figured that most likely the components would last three or four years and customers would be back to purchase Onkyo's latest receiver. They gambled and both sides lost.
post #9150 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post

Called Onkyo up and they agreed to do an out-of-warranty repair.

The place is local, so I actually called them this morning and was honest and told them I replaced the capacitors to fix the issue, but it didn't fix the issue.

While she couldn't guarantee that their techs won't say it's not fixable because of what I did, she did sound confident that replacing capacitors isn't that big of a deal. It would be a bigger deal if I tried to pass off a water-damaged board or something, for example.

So if they don't fix it, I'm out $50. I think I'm going to take the gamble.

Just got a call from the repair shop.. it's ready to pick up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners Thread