or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Criterion Goes Blu!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Criterion Goes Blu!!! - Page 8

post #211 of 2486
I love a wide variety of films.
Just because I don't like the whole list of movies they chose to work on doesn't mean I don't.
Foreign films are not my cup of tea though, at least the very few I've watched.
Not alot of exposure to art/indie films either.

To each their own.

I have no doubt that their quality proceeds their name.
post #212 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Wait, an obscure studio, I've never heard of, releases a bunch of films I've never heard of?

Sorry, E-A-G-L-E-S, but, when people don't seem to see the obvious...though speaking of more well known: Can't Criterion release the classic Hong Kong stuff, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc? And who would not have heard of "The Last Emperor"?
Then again, I believe the adage from one of the 90s Chicago International Film Festivals, "Too many subtitles, too little time".
post #213 of 2486
Just so you don't get the wrong impression EAGLES, not all of Criterion's releases are foreign. There are plenty of interesting English speaking subtitle less films in their catalogue.
post #214 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post

Sorry, E-A-G-L-E-S, but, when people don't seem to see the obvious...though speaking of more well known: Can't Criterion release the classic Hong Kong stuff, Hard Boiled, The Killer, etc? And who would not have heard of "The Last Emperor"?
Then again, I believe the adage from one of the 90s Chicago International Film Festivals, "Too many subtitles, too little time".

Those aren't my words, how did you quote me with someone else's words?
post #215 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

Those aren't my words, how did you quote me with someone else's words?

He quoted your mind.
post #216 of 2486
The sad thing for all us Criterion fans who live over the pond in the UK is, most of these will be region coded. Now it has always been pretty easy getting round the region coding on DVD, but much, much harder on Blu-ray. Now is the time for us to stand up for cracking and finally getting rid of this awful restrictive system that will now stop a lot of us film buffs around the world getting our hands on these.
post #217 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguffin View Post

The sad thing for all us Criterion fans who live over the pond in the UK is, most of these will be region coded.

Have they actually said they will regioncode their BD's?
post #218 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

Have they actually said they will regioncode their BD's?

I am pretty certain Criterion will have no choice. I remember way back when they released the first version of Seven Samurai on DVD they had to delete it pretty quickly and re-release it coded Region One at the insistence of Toho. I think the studios will insist. Not all but a sizable amount.
post #219 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Wrong, wrong, wrong...


LMAO.

did they release that the same time as "The Rock" and "Armageddon?"
post #220 of 2486
I'm very excited about these releases!! Last Emperor is choice #1 for me as well. I also enjoyed Rushmore more than Bottle Rocket. My requests are (pretty please!):

Coen Bros films (Hudsucker Proxy, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, etc, etc)
Polanski films (Pianist, that I somehow resisted buying so far on HD, Ninth Gate, Rosemary's Baby, etc, etc)
Jeunet/Caro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc)

Besides Last Emperor, I wouldn't mind some other Bertolucci films.. The Sheltering Sky, The Conformist. (Though I didn't care for Last Buddha, blame it on Keanu? Never watched Stealing Beauty).

just my votes! never went to film skool, so leave me alone!
post #221 of 2486
jostenmeat,

has Criterion released any of those in the past?
My guess is most of the studios that own the rights to the movies you listed will release them themselves on Blu-ray. I can't imagine any of the Polanski films you mentioned getting a Criterion release... but you never know.
post #222 of 2486
Jeunet/Caro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc

It is imperative that Amelie be released on BD - it will lower the price of gas, I guarantee it. C'mon Miramax or Criterion let's make this happen.

I would also like see Criterion rerelease The Night Porter, Mona Lisa, and Picnic at Hanging Rock. All non-anamorphic disks.
post #223 of 2486
Definitely picking up:

The 400 Blows
The Wages of Fear
The Third Man
post #224 of 2486
This'll likely be the instigater for lots of Criterion collector's that haven't already gone BlueRay to do so pretty darn fast.
post #225 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes7769 View Post

This'll likely be the instigater for lots of Criterion collector's that haven't already gone BlueRay to do so pretty darn fast.

That will be a nice effect of this. I frequent another forum where people practically worship Criterion.
post #226 of 2486
Zulu, Zulu, Zulu!
post #227 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

IJeunet/Caro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc)

But, what about 'Alien: Resurrection'. (I do see we R1 people finally got Delicatessen.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Besides Last Emperor, I wouldn't mind some other Bertolucci films.. The Sheltering Sky, The Conformist. (Though I didn't care for Last Buddha, blame it on Keanu? Never watched Stealing Beauty).

just my votes! never went to film skool, so leave me alone!

Well, they've been playing 'The Sheltering Sky' on MOJO HD.

What about Satyajit Ray? Apu anyone?
post #228 of 2486
Any Ray would be welcome, and the Apu trilogy probably most of all! From the various releases, however, it would appear that the original elements are in pretty rough shape.

Speaking of elements that are in pretty rough shape, I'm hoping that Criterion revisits its release of the longer "Scorsese print" of Tarkovsky's "ANDREI RUBLEV". This was one of their first discs, non-anamorphic and done on an early telecine setup that's nothing like the latest 4k or whatever. If they could pair it with a transfer of a pristine print of the shorter Mosfilm version, it would be a damn near perfect BD release.

Of the announced titles, I'm most looking forward to "Chungking Express", even though that R3 double-disc (with "Fallen Angels") is otherwise so nice.
post #229 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Malloy View Post

Any Ray would be welcome, and the Apu trilogy probably most of all! From the various releases, however, it would appear that the original elements are in pretty rough shape.

Speaking of elements that are in pretty rough shape, I'm hoping that Criterion revisits its release of the longer "Scorsese print" of Tarkovsky's "ANDREI RUBLEV". This was one of their first discs, non-anamorphic and done on an early telecine setup that's nothing like the latest 4k or whatever. If they could pair it with a transfer of a pristine print of the shorter Mosfilm version, it would be a damn near perfect BD release.

Of the announced titles, I'm most looking forward to "Chungking Express", even though that R3 double-disc (with "Fallen Angels") is otherwise so nice.

similiarily, if Criterion could release the longer cut of 'Kwaidan' and release this in HiDef as well - I'd be quite happy.
post #230 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas View Post

Jeunet/Caro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc

It is imperative that Amelie be released on BD - it will lower the price of gas, I guarantee it. C'mon Miramax or Criterion let's make this happen.

I would also like see Criterion rerelease The Night Porter, Mona Lisa, and Picnic at Hanging Rock. All non-anamorphic disks.

I completely agree. Amelie is one of my favorite movies, and it MUST be released. I also hope that they will include the French soundtrack.
post #231 of 2486
night on earth, please


(I know, I'm redundant...)
post #232 of 2486
Want the Kurosawa stuff... the Silence of the Lambs and Robocop. Basically upgrades to my DVD's.
post #233 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Want the Kurosawa stuff... the Silence of the Lambs and Robocop. Basically upgrades to my DVD's.

You'll have to look to Fox for SOTL and Robocop. The Criterion versions of those titles went OOP when MGM bought the rights to Orion's library, and it's unlikely Criterion will get distribution rights from Fox (who has distribution rights to MGM's titles).
post #234 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul? View Post

I completely agree. Amelie is one of my favorite movies, and it MUST be released. I also hope that they will include the French soundtrack.

It's one of my favorites, too. I'm eager to see how it looks (as well as other Jeunet movies) in HD. He processes his imagery so much, I'm wondering if we'll be disappointed in them. Does Jeunet's manipulation of color and contrast affect the level of detail? On DVD, I can't tell. Can anyone who has seen his films in a theater debunk my vague fear? Thanks.

PS What do you mean about the French soundtrack? I've never seen it otherwise. Are there any DVD releases that don't have a French ST?

Doug
post #235 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

night on earth, please


(I know, I'm redundant...)

I forgive you! I also really liked that movie. I thought it sorta got better with each successive story. The first with Winona Ryder was my least favorite I think. Benigni is hilarious though, and the one in Helsinki was really poignant. Been a long time since I've seen this.

Too bad about SOTL. That was one of my favorite experiences ever in a theater.
post #236 of 2486
yep. My fave was the NYC one in the early 90's. Brings back lots of good memories. I also met Giancarlo Esposito who was amazing as "Yo-Yo" and he was a great guy.
post #237 of 2486
I'll be waiting on the Richard Linklater releases (Slacker & Dazed and Confused), Naked Lunch and Brazil.
post #238 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas View Post

Jeunet/Caro films (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc

It is imperative that Amelie be released on BD - it will lower the price of gas, I guarantee it. C'mon Miramax or Criterion let's make this happen.

I would also like see Criterion rerelease The Night Porter, Mona Lisa, and Picnic at Hanging Rock. All non-anamorphic disks.

1000 Umbrellas,

Didn't you forget "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" (Les parapluies de Cherbourg)?
post #239 of 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

Dazed and Confused)

Universal has that one. No idea if Criterion will do it.
post #240 of 2486
When this was announced I was both happy and sad. The thought of buying all those movies again is actually not very pleasant. I love my criterion releases but they are not cheap. Yes I would love some of the films I have in HD and they could look amazing given the film source, but again, having paid what I have for some releases, replacing them is not a easy choice. I had The Last Emperor pre-ordered and was glad to get it, but 2 months later it is announced in HD. I would have bought the HD version, but after just paying $50 for it on DVD, I can't justify it and do feel slightly ripped off/mis-led.

But I do find some of the discussion interesting here. I find it amusing that on one hand some are complaining about the aspect ratio of the Last Emperor, but then ask for the extended cut? It seems that while many of us scream for OAR, we are happy to accept content altered versions, or digitally remixed (as opposed to remastered) audio tracks. Why is it that the aspect ratio of a film is sancto sanctum, but it's ok to have extended cuts or remixed audio? Is it not hypocritical to claim you want it one way because that was how it was originally presented but throw that argument out the window when it suits?

I'm not claiming innocence on this one, but I do find it intriguing. For some it is OAR or nothing, a few others also demand the original cut, but rarely do people demand the original audio. Why is that? If someone prefers the 5.1 mix are they not as bad as the one who likes the film to fill the 16:9 screen?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Criterion Goes Blu!!!