or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › CPS or Mack - does it matter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPS or Mack - does it matter? - Page 24

post #691 of 884
So, I just found this thread and am wondering if I made a mistake with my newly purchased CPS warranty. On the CPS warranty card it says that the item must be registered within 30 days to receive full coverage.

Does this mean that I need to register CPS plan w/in 30 days of purchasing the CPS plan, or register the item (LCD tv) w/in 30 days of purchasing the TV?

Here are the details:

Purchased Samsung 46" LCD from Amazon: June 29th, 2009
Delivery of Samsung LCD: July 8th, 2009
Purchased CPS warranty online: July 9th, 2009
HUGE delay in delivery of warranty, warranty received: August 3d, 2009
Called CPS on August 4th, 2009 and eventually spoke to CSR (about 30 min on hold). I was told I could use delivery date of TV (July 8th) as date to put into he CPS warranty registration page. The CSR did not inspire confidence, but that is what I did.

I have documentation of the purchase (itemized Amazon receipt) and documentation of the delivery date (dated Pilot Freight receipt).

So did I sc*w myself by using the CPS warranty and not just returning it (as it was 30 days past the LCD purchase date) or did I scr*w myself for putting in the delivery date of the LCD, instead of the purchase date? Or did I just scr*w myself period for buying a CPS warranty?

Thanks,

B
post #692 of 884
Generally it's 30 days, and that's after you bought it. But if not much longer than 30 days have elapsed since you bought it, it's ok. They give you some grace time in there. Mine was about a week past 30 days and I was still able to get the CPS EW. Talk to Chris here ("Creemail"), he'll do you right. (Sorry if there are other CPS sellers here, no offense intended. I just recommend Chris because he got it done for me, no complaints).
post #693 of 884
I was experiencing some breakup on the display of my nearly 3 year old Samsung HP-S5053 plasma so thought I'd better call up Mack and arrange to get it repaired. Since the set is 50" it would be unfeasible to have it shipped anywhere for repair hence my purchase of the Mack in-home repair warranty.

Mack refers you to the Samsung website to locate the nearest center. Here's the discussion I had in Samsung's chat:

Darlene: Let me know the Zip Code of your Area.

roxysol: 80503

Darlene: I found that, the nearest samsung service center is at 675 miles away from your Zip Code.

Darlene: Would you like me to provide the address of the Service center?

roxysol: There are dealers/repair in Boulder CO - what about them?

Darlene: roxysol, I found At & T Connectech which is 675 miles away, I am afraid there is no nearer than that one.

roxysol: I cannot believe that

Darlene: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

roxysol: I need in-home repair

Darlene: Sure, you can contact the below Service Center address and get a in-home Service option, or directly contact Boulder CO - and get a in-home Service option.

Darlene: At & T Connectech, 311 S. Akard St, Dallas, TX, 75202, Ph# 8775326022

--

AT&T Connectech had never heard of Mack and said they would not support any warranty work through them.
I contacted Mack about the lack of local service and the rep there said "Try Sears". I did but Sears doesn't know anything about them either.

I'm resigned to getting the set repaired locally and submitting the estimate to Mack for reimburse but I do not hold out much hope in getting anything from them. Their last option for repair is that it can be shipped back to Mack in NJ - not gonna be doing that.

If I do get satisfaction though, I'll update that here.
post #694 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxysol View Post

I was experiencing some breakup on the display of my nearly 3 year old Samsung HP-S5053 plasma so thought I'd better call up Mack and arrange to get it repaired. Since the set is 50" it would be unfeasible to have it shipped anywhere for repair hence my purchase of the Mack in-home repair warranty.

Mack refers you to the Samsung website to locate the nearest center. Here's the discussion I had in Samsung's chat:

Darlene: Let me know the Zip Code of your Area.

roxysol: 80503

Darlene: I found that, the nearest samsung service center is at 675 miles away from your Zip Code.

Darlene: Would you like me to provide the address of the Service center?

roxysol: There are dealers/repair in Boulder CO - what about them?

Darlene: roxysol, I found At & T Connectech which is 675 miles away, I am afraid there is no nearer than that one.

roxysol: I cannot believe that

Darlene: I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

roxysol: I need in-home repair

Darlene: Sure, you can contact the below Service Center address and get a in-home Service option, or directly contact Boulder CO - and get a in-home Service option.

Darlene: At & T Connectech, 311 S. Akard St, Dallas, TX, 75202, Ph# 8775326022

--

AT&T Connectech had never heard of Mack and said they would not support any warranty work through them.
I contacted Mack about the lack of local service and the rep there said "Try Sears". I did but Sears doesn't know anything about them either.

I'm resigned to getting the set repaired locally and submitting the estimate to Mack for reimburse but I do not hold out much hope in getting anything from them. Their last option for repair is that it can be shipped back to Mack in NJ - not gonna be doing that.

If I do get satisfaction though, I'll update that here.

In my area TV repair people don't exist. Sears will service any brand, that's about it for my area.

Good luck finding someone. With Mack, I believe you get the service and they approve payment (or reimbursement) from an estimate or repair bill. My VISA card extended warranty works the same way.
post #695 of 884
I just noticed this link on HD GURU and EngadgetHD concerning CPS (check the 16th paragraph into the article):

http://hdguru.com/extended-warranties-what-you-see-is-often-not-what-you-get-%CC%B6-an-hd-guru-investigative-report/460/


As an owner of two Kuro's with a CPS EW purchased within the past 3 months, I've started to Google all the info I can and plan on contacting the BBB with any info they have. I took Invision's word that CPS was a very reputable EW company - maybe they aren't (???????????)

Hopefully others contribute their thoughts and findings. If I find out CPS IS NOT a worthy operation, what are the chances of getting any refund from them ( with the help of my credit card company) ?

My Kuro's are fabulous, both of my previous Kuro's are still operating fine as well. I just hope the EW I purchased will come thru as advertised IF I ever need there service. Reading some of the Google info remarks tonight, I'm not feeling very good right now about what I'm reading from others about CPS. Maybe someone will convince me that I'm worrying too much.
post #696 of 884
CPS is backed by a seperate insurance company if they would fail. All extended warranties get some complaints, they are a insurance company. In the end it is hard to say who will fail and who will not. Even the big dogs out there are in deep troubles.....
post #697 of 884
From the BBB search results, CPS was found to have 24 complaints within the past 36 months, 22 of which were closed within the past 12 months. I'll research more on Tue.

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/bus...klyn-ny-94366/
post #698 of 884
I called CPS today and spoke with Ralph Craig. I questioned him with the scenario: what are the steps I take if my Kuro breaks down after the first yr of warranty has expired? First, to file a claim thru CPS & they verify that I am have outstanding contract member. Next a claims agent would arrange for a repair service to schedule an appointment at my home, they would classify the issue: to complete a repair in home or offer a compensation amount for a replacement for a unrepairable HDTV at current market value. Ralph mentioned that CPS has been around for 7 years with no complaints about in home repairs or compensation.

Ralph could not answer: Any authorized repair service center list for my area, saying these repair list are always changing OR how they determine the current market value of a HDTV that cannot be repaired, and the amount of compensation to be issued. Ralph did mention Service Life as a service repair broker they deal with, Google brought up nothing on them. (yes, I did verify onlie/phone of a Pioneer authorized electronics repair service center in my area, they have been in business for over 50yrs - they never heard of CPS or Mack. Most of the EW's that they have a history with are offered thru the big box retailers like BB and Wall Mart).

I called Invision next, no answer, I did not leave a message. I called Cleavland Plasma next to ask how the EW they offer work, I spoke with Ron Tody's. He was patient and helpful answering my questions, saying that the months he has been working he wasn't aware of any complaints about Mack EW or any problems. Ron pretty much explained the same procedure that Ralph did on how a customer would file a claim and what occurs after.


Since both of my CPS warranties will not kick in until 2010, I would assume I would have to contact the vendor I purchased them from (Invision) in order to request a refund. If I don't receive better answer's from Invision than I got from Ralph @ CPS, I may request a refund.

Of course any google answer on the subject of Consumer Priority Service & the BBB includes the negative reports. I still haven't heard or read a verified explanation from CPS on a claim procedure that would WORK TODAY. I take the blame for not investigating this topic before my purchase, hopefully Invision's will offer more info to my questions. If my concerns are not answered sufficiently, I plan on asking a refund.

I'll post any updates, other responses are welcomed of course.
post #699 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post

Ralph could not answer: Any authorized repair service center list for my area, saying these repair list are always changing OR how they determine the current market value of a HDTV that cannot be repaired, and the amount of compensation to be issued. Ralph did mention Service Life as a service repair broker they deal with, Google brought up nothing on them. (yes, I did verify onlie/phone of a Pioneer authorized electronics repair service center in my area, they have been in business for over 50yrs - they never heard of CPS or Mack. Most of the EW's that they have a history with are offered thru the big box retailers like BB and Wall Mart).

Looks like CPS did not give very good answers. All extended warranties work the same. They insure devises and have nothing to do with fixing these devises. When service is needed they will grab your yellow pages at that time, find someone who is authorized to work on your set in your area, call them, tell them they are paying the bill, and the process starts for in home service. If the rep was wise he would have done a quick search in your area and gave a dealers name and advised it might change. If you have a complete loss it goes by the market value at that time, to speculate what your unit is worth a few years from now would be tough to do in the electronics market and I can see why he did not give an answer. ( For example most people would have advised that your house would be worth more than it is today, not the 40% off due to the dive housing took )
post #700 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Looks like CPS did not give very good answers. All extended warranties work the same. They insure devises and have nothing to do with fixing these devises. When service is needed they will grab your yellow pages at that time, find someone who is authorized to work on your set in your area, call them, tell them they are paying the bill, and the process starts for in home service. If the rep was wise he would have done a quick search in your area and gave a dealers name and advised it might change. If you have a complete loss it goes by the market value at that time, to speculate what your unit is worth a few years from now would be tough to do in the electronics market and I can see why he did not give an answer. ( For example most people would have advised that your house would be worth more than it is today, not the 40% off due to the dive housing took )

thanks Chris........... From your explanation, I'll assume MOST buyers of EW's are happy with their choice of the extra piece of mind - and the companies (Mack & CPS) have a decent history of repairing HDTV's under the warranties issued. Of course any google search with the BBB + a particular EW co. attached will bring up the negative stories 99% of the time (?)

Ralph (of CPS) WAS NOT very thorough answering my concerns, hence my skepticism. Both of my Kuro's bought in 2009 have the one yr Pioneer warranty of course, purchased with my MasterCard, which includes another year of the manuf. warranty according to MY CARD agreement (verified today). That covers 2009 & 2010. The CPS EW purchased on both also covers 2010 plus the additional following two years.

I'll call Invision on WED (they were closed, in the middle of moving I believe) and hopefully Alex has a similar answer that Chris provided.


An odd twist to my concerns (?) - my first KRP arrived cracked, the replacement was perfect. The vendor never arranged for the first cracked display to be picked up. I guess I'll always have my KRP replacement parts in stock - I'll just tuck it away in the basement.

Thanks again Chris, hopefully other EW buyers/shoppers learned from these postings.
post #701 of 884
tony9
Quote:


The vendor never arranged for the first cracked display to be picked up. I guess I'll always have my KRP replacement parts in stock - I'll just tuck it away in the basement.

And thats what you call a in home service in one day.
post #702 of 884
Hey Chris & Chris,

I will be purchasing a Panasonic TC-P65S1 with a PS3. I would like to know how much for EW. Plus I have a Sony VPL-VW100 projector that i would like to have a light bulbs EW as well.


thanks ,

keith
post #703 of 884
Why not a squaretrade warranty?
post #704 of 884
I received a replacement bulb from Mack for my Sharp Z3000 projector. The bulb is an after market cheap Chinese bulb that is at least 30% less bright than the Sharp OEM. This bulb does not have a heat shield so there is a light leakage from the PJ. I am very disappointed. The bulb was shipped directly from an online vendor (PURELAND SUPLLY). I checked the website and I couldn't find any OEM bulb listed anywhere. When I bought the MAck warranty 2 years ago, I was told I could buy the bulb myself and submit the invoice for reimbursement. Mack has changed their policy and it is clear to me it is a cost cutting measure as the expense of the customer. I am not the first nor will be the last to receive this cheap Chinese bulbs. Beware of this fact when you purchase a Mack warranty.
post #705 of 884
You always have to watch out for what you've been told about a warranty .vs. what the warranty really says. Best Buy pulled the same sort of stunt on me where the salesmen said if anything goes wrong with my purchase, they'd just pay me the original cost AND a pro-rated portion of what I paid for the warranty and I could go spend the money however I wanted.

In reality, they tried real hard to swap a different device on me that was selling for $700 less and was a leased item and denied that their warranty coverage ever guaranteed a refund.
post #706 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

Hey Chris & Chris,

I will be purchasing a Panasonic TC-P65S1 with a PS3. I would like to know how much for EW. Plus I have a Sony VPL-VW100 projector that i would like to have a light bulbs EW as well.


thanks ,

keith

What BULB would they be warrantying in a plasma?
post #707 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

What BULB would they be warrantying in a plasma?

no.. it for my sony projector.
post #708 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I received a replacement bulb from Mack for my Sharp Z3000 projector. The bulb is an after market cheap Chinese bulb that is at least 30% less bright than the Sharp OEM. This bulb does not have a heat shield so there is a light leakage from the PJ. I am very disappointed. The bulb was shipped directly from an online vendor (PURELAND SUPLLY). I checked the website and I couldn't find any OEM bulb listed anywhere. When I bought the MAck warranty 2 years ago, I was told I could buy the bulb myself and submit the invoice for reimbursement. Mack has changed their policy and it is clear to me it is a cost cutting measure as the expense of the customer. I am not the first nor will be the last to receive this cheap Chinese bulbs. Beware of this fact when you purchase a Mack warranty.

thanks, alex for the information....do you think CPS will go the reimbursement route?
Please enlighten us. Chris & Chris


keith
post #709 of 884
I'm also considering square trade warranty. they cover used and new products. Have anyone deal with this company before?


thanks,
post #710 of 884
I have posted a follow up on "The Official Bulb Warranty Thread? Good, Bad & the Fugly?" thread. Click on the link to go to my post.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17410856
post #711 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

I received a replacement bulb from Mack for my Sharp Z3000 projector. The bulb is an after market cheap Chinese bulb that is at least 30% less bright than the Sharp OEM. This bulb does not have a heat shield so there is a light leakage from the PJ. I am very disappointed. The bulb was shipped directly from an online vendor (PURELAND SUPLLY). I checked the website and I couldn't find any OEM bulb listed anywhere. When I bought the MAck warranty 2 years ago, I was told I could buy the bulb myself and submit the invoice for reimbursement. Mack has changed their policy and it is clear to me it is a cost cutting measure as the expense of the customer. I am not the first nor will be the last to receive this cheap Chinese bulbs. Beware of this fact when you purchase a Mack warranty.

How long ago did this happen? Did you contact your dealer who you bought the warranty thru? With there being no heat sheild you could have got the correct bulb. Not to mention the bulb being 30% less bright. The bulb should have been as least as good as the original.
post #712 of 884
Hello...

I just bought a Pioneer 50" Kuro and the "CPS 3 Year Warranty" was $190.

I thought I got an ok deal until I found the same CPS warranty online for
$75 at one online retailer and $104 at another. Here are the details:


CPS TV-3yr-1500 Highlights :
CPS 3 Year(s) Warranty - Television In-Home under $1500.00

Please Note: This Warranty must be registered within 30 days of purchasing your product.



Did I get scammed by the place I bought my Plasma from?
Is there this much markup on extended warranties?
Doesn't $75 and $104 for a CPS 3Year In-home seem too good to be true??
post #713 of 884
UPDATE:

I was pleasantly surprised when UPS dropped on an original OEM sharp lamp today. I haven't even shipped back the after market bulb yet since I didn't get a chance to stop over at Fedex. This lamp came complete with housing AND in a Sharp box vs. generic box with no labeling for the first lamp. Even though my experience with the first lamp was not pleasant, I am very happy with the final outcome. This is the level of service I expect from great companies and you delivered, Mack.

Thank you Dave, you came through when most needed. I will ship the other lamp back this coming Saturday.
post #714 of 884
So I have recently purchased a new Panny G10 and am interested in an extended warranty (probably Mack) but am wondering if I need to purchase one within a certain timeframe of buying the TV or can I wait a bit more to decide?

Thanks.
post #715 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by amontwin View Post

So I have recently purchased a new Panny G10 and am interested in an extended warranty (probably Mack) but am wondering if I need to purchase one within a certain timeframe of buying the TV or can I wait a bit more to decide?

Thanks.


There needs to be 90+ days remaining on the manufacturers warranty to be eligible for the Mack extended warranty. So assuming your panasonic came with a 1 year warranty you have 9 months from the date of purchase to decide.

Dave
post #716 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcamera View Post

There needs to be 90+ days remaining on the manufacturers warranty to be eligible for the Mack extended warranty. So assuming your panasonic came with a 1 year warranty you have 9 months from the date of purchase to decide.

Dave

Excellent. I just purchased a 54G10 for a little under $1450, all I would really need is the 3 Yr Plan Under $1450 In Home Service correct?

Thanks again.
post #717 of 884
^^^ Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

thanks, alex for the information....do you think CPS will go the reimbursement route?
Please enlighten us. Chris & Chris
keith

Looks like Mack handled it. CPS will price shop to find the best solution as all EW companies will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithishere View Post

Hey Chris & Chris,

I will be purchasing a Panasonic TC-P65S1 with a PS3. I would like to know how much for EW. Plus I have a Sony VPL-VW100 projector that i would like to have a light bulbs EW as well.
thanks ,
keith

PM us or e-mail direct.
post #718 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcamera View Post

There needs to be 90+ days remaining on the manufacturers warranty to be eligible for the Mack extended warranty. So assuming your panasonic came with a 1 year warranty you have 9 months from the date of purchase to decide.

Dave

Hi Dave. I'm checking into buying one of your warranties for my Samsung DLP that I purchased in April. The Texas Tape Works site and other sites that sell your plans show your 3 and 5 year warranties starting when the Manufacturers warranty runs out. The information on your website states that for the 3 year, however the 5 shows to start at the date of purchase. Which is correct?
post #719 of 884
hello guys,

I'm not in the US and I'm still new in this forum.
I have a question. does mack or cps covered refurbished product?

I'm looking to buy refurb laptop from buy.com
Code:
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-g51vx-rx05-laptop-intel-centrino-2-intel-core-2-duo-p7350-15-6/q/loc/101/212446723.html
Thanks in advance.
post #720 of 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by soalan View Post

hello guys,

I'm not in the US and I'm still new in this forum.
I have a question. does mack or cps covered refurbished product?

I'm looking to buy refurb laptop from buy.com
Code:
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-g51vx-rx05-laptop-intel-centrino-2-intel-core-2-duo-p7350-15-6/q/loc/101/212446723.html
Thanks in advance.

Until someone else from Mack or CPS replies with that info.....I don't know about them but FWIW Square Trade covers refurb's.

BTW, just simply paste a link into your post like http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-g51vx-r...212446723.html . If you wrap it in code it won't be clickable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › CPS or Mack - does it matter?