or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › question about calibration mic for onkyo tx-sr705
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

question about calibration mic for onkyo tx-sr705

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I picked up a tx-sr705 open box and it didn't come with the setup calibration microphone. I have a calibration microphone from my sony str-dg1000. I was wondering whether I could use it on the onkyo or whether it would be incompatible. Thx.
post #2 of 9
Easy answer would be to try it. I strongly doubt you would damage anything, unless you tried to force the connector in if it was incompatible or something. When you plug Onkyo's microphone in, the receiver/onscreen setup screen automatically goes to the calibration menu, so I'm not sure if that would happen with any microphone with a miniplug connector, or if there's something proprietary about Onkyo's microphone.

Try it and let us know.
post #3 of 9
I also bought an open box 705 from my local Frys at a great price but it did not come with calibration mic. Does anybody know of any place that will sell mic for 705? I will try calling Onkyo tomorrow.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfire22 View Post

I picked up a tx-sr705 open box and it didn't come with the setup calibration microphone. I have a calibration microphone from my sony str-dg1000. I was wondering whether I could use it on the onkyo or whether it would be incompatible. Thx.

It will not be suitable. You need the Onkyo mic.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

Easy answer would be to try it. I strongly doubt you would damage anything, unless you tried to force the connector in if it was incompatible or something. When you plug Onkyo's microphone in, the receiver/onscreen setup screen automatically goes to the calibration menu, so I'm not sure if that would happen with any microphone with a miniplug connector, or if there's something proprietary about Onkyo's microphone.

Try it and let us know.

Even it if turns on, any mic other than the Onkyo will not be matched to the calibrations in the AVR's firmware.
post #6 of 9
Every microphone has a different frequency response specification. This response curve is part of the basic Room EQ software within the DSP. Using a different microphone will pull this part of the software calibration out of specification...
It is not as critical for the low frequencies but very significant for the high frequencies.

Get the correct microphone..

Just my $0.015..
post #7 of 9
Hi Guys!
Is there a source where I can buy the mic for 705?
Thanks,
post #8 of 9
Ordered the mic directly from Onkyo for $20.00 including shipping. Not bad considering the price I got the unit for. Wonder if the newer mic for 706 will work with 705 as the newer mic seems like a better design but not sure if it will take more accurate measurements compared to last years mic.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Ordered the mic directly from Onkyo for $20.00 including shipping. Not bad considering the price I got the unit for. Wonder if the newer mic for 706 will work with 705 as the newer mic seems like a better design but not sure if it will take more accurate measurements compared to last years mic.

How did you order it directly from Onkyo? I don't see it on their site and so far they have not responded to my inquiry (granted, I sent it on Saturday and it's only Monday morning).

I am in the same boat as others in this thread; open-box buy with missing mic. So far I love it and I don't even know what I'm doing yet. I can only imagine how happy I'll be when I figure out the settings and such.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › question about calibration mic for onkyo tx-sr705