or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Best sub EQ under $400
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best sub EQ under $400

post #1 of 1785
Thread Starter 
I am looking for a sub EQ, i would like it to be fairly easy to use and if possible have RCA inputs/outputs. Recommendations?

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 1785
I'm running the Behringer FBQ2496, probably the most versatile low cost solution, you'll need a Radio Shack SPL meter and a couple of RCA to 1/4" adapters totals < $200. You can use REW which is free software to graph the frequency response in input settings.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-657
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=090-285
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

If you're looking for an all in one solution for ease of use and graph the response and input filters on the tv screen the only other one I'm aware of is the Velodyne SMS which is over your budget.
post #3 of 1785
Quote:


I am looking for a sub EQ, i would like it to be fairly easy to use and if possible have RCA inputs/outputs. Recommendations?

What do you want it to do??

Parametric Eq?
High and low pass filters?

Elemental Designs has a cool little EQ called the eQ.

-phase options
-auto on/off
-it does the subsonic filter so we can protect our subs
-it has two bands that you can EQ.
- it has RCA in/out

I it does not have any other filter capabilities but for $100 its pretty cool. The Behringer above is great too!
post #4 of 1785
Thread Starter 
I hear parametric is the way to go, so i guess i want a parametric EQ. I saw the one from eD, i want to do room correction and help kill some bumps in the FR, 2 bands is not enough, i need more like 8. I was looking at some of the Behringer EQ's, and i didnt pull the trigger as i want to see if i can find something with RCA in/outs. I already have an RS SPL meter.
post #5 of 1785
Why do you care about RCA ins? It's very easy to go from 1/8" or 1/4" to and from RCA.
post #6 of 1785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip_ View Post

Why do you care about RCA ins? It's very easy to go from 1/8" or 1/4" to and from RCA.


Its just extra hassle, and creats further weak points in the audio chain. I am looking at the ACEI SOS for ~$300, it does it all automaticly, except it doesnt help with "in the time domian" what ever that means?reverb? RS meters are very inaccurate at low Hz, a better one will cost far more, a few hundreds
, from what i have seen. The mic also has to be calibrated for low frequency apparently.
post #7 of 1785
I recently added a Behringer DSP1124P to my setup. The total cost for everything I needed was about $180.00 (I already owned a RS meter and I needed an external sound card for my laptop).

I'll first say that the combination of the Behringer and Room EQ Wizard (REW) is a VERY slick setup. It's super easy to use once you've been through it once or twice. Then when you really start to understand how the human ear hears the lowest octaves and how your particular sub performs in your room, you really start to open up possibilities with the BFD and REW. The single best thing you can do is to become a member at hometheatershack and read. Just don't let yourself become intimidated, it's actually VERY easy. I was thinking this whole thing was just too much, but I made the plunge anyway. I'm really happy I did, because the results are nothing short of amazing! I've wanted a BFD for about 5 years, and I wish I had got one long ago...

One more point I'd like to make: A subwoofer EQ is really a set it and forget it type of device. While I'm certain an SMS-1 is easy to use, I just couldn't justify $600.00 for such a device. The BFD/REW combo is VERY powerful and VERY flexible. I can't say enough good stuff about owning a BFD.

Before you proceed with the thought that your *need* 8 filters (and who knows, maybe you do), take a quick look at this thread regarding my latest EQ curves with my BFD. I've learned a lot as of late and I plan to do some additional testing with my specific setup over the next few weeks. I am VERY happy with sound of my setup right now, but experimenting with the BFD/REW setup is fun and only takes my time.

If I can help at all with questions, I'll certainly try. Just understand the guys at hometheatershack are really great and VERY helpful to noobs. It's great to see so many advanced users taking the time to help new people that don't understand anything at all about BFD's or REW.
post #8 of 1785
Don't worry about the XLR - > RCA conversions, you can get convertors cheaply. Else just get XLR male/female - RCA cables customised. My local hifi dealers does that for me, just use whatever cables from Belden/Canare/GAC/Klotz/hifi brand you like, good enough. Buy the Neutrik plugs NC3FXX-B or NC3MXX-B, gold plated...or the normal NC3FXX with 2um Ag silver plating on Bronze pin ones.
post #9 of 1785
Quote:


RS meters are very inaccurate at low Hz, a better one will cost far more, a few hundreds
, from what i have seen. The mic also has to be calibrated for low frequency apparently.

The Nady or the Behringer Mics are pretty good Mics and are only around $50 on parts express but you need "phantom Power" too and its another $30 or so (as I learned recently). I have the RS SPL Meter too and it just doesnt compare for accuracy.
post #10 of 1785
Behringer FBQ2496 or Behringer DSP1124P is another question.....

I think the DSP1124P was/is more flexible, it was discontinued and was replaced by the FBQ2496 (I think). I dont know all the details about the differences though.
post #11 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHUB View Post

I recently added a Behringer DSP1124P to my setup. The total cost for everything I needed was about $180.00 (I already owned a RS meter and I needed an external sound card for my laptop).

I'll first say that the combination of the Behringer and Room EQ Wizard (REW) is a VERY slick setup. It's super easy to use once you've been through it once or twice. Then when you really start to understand how the human ear hears the lowest octaves and how your particular sub performs in your room, you really start to open up possibilities with the BFD and REW. The single best thing you can do is to become a member at hometheatershack and read. Just don't let yourself become intimidated, it's actually VERY easy. I was thinking this whole thing was just too much, but I made the plunge anyway. I'm really happy I did, because the results are nothing short of amazing! I've wanted a BFD for about 5 years, and I wish I had got one long ago...

One more point I'd like to make: A subwoofer EQ is really a set it and forget it type of device. While I'm certain an SMS-1 is easy to use, I just couldn't justify $600.00 for such a device. The BFD/REW combo is VERY powerful and VERY flexible. I can't say enough good stuff about owning a BFD.

Before you proceed with the thought that your *need* 8 filters (and who knows, maybe you do), take a quick look at this thread regarding my latest EQ curves with my BFD. I've learned a lot as of late and I plan to do some additional testing with my specific setup over the next few weeks. I am VERY happy with sound of my setup right now, but experimenting with the BFD/REW setup is fun and only takes my time.

If I can help at all with questions, I'll certainly try. Just understand the guys at hometheatershack are really great and VERY helpful to noobs. It's great to see so many advanced users taking the time to help new people that don't understand anything at all about BFD's or REW.

Great summary, TJHUB! That's been my experience exactly .
post #12 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZER STRIKE View Post

Its just extra hassle, and creats further weak points in the audio chain. I am looking at the ACEI SOS for ~$300, it does it all automaticly, except it doesnt help with "in the time domian" what ever that means?reverb? RS meters are very inaccurate at low Hz, a better one will cost far more, a few hundreds
, from what i have seen. The mic also has to be calibrated for low frequency apparently.

I personally don't feel the adapters are a big deal, work great for my application, maybe I'll mod my own sometime but for now the adapters are working with no issues.

If you don't want to use them you can mod your own cables, it's quite easy or have some custom made, also I'm sure their are 1/4" to RCA cables pre maid out there somewhere although I haven't checked. If the hassle of plugging in 2 x $1.25 adapters which tales all of 2 second or creating another link in the chain is an issue then you can use a straight cable with no adapters.

If theirs some other reason you don't want to go the Berhinger/REW route that's cool but don't let the adapter issue be it, their are plenty of other easy options for connections.
post #13 of 1785
Quote:


also I'm sure their are 1/4" to RCA cables pre maid out there somewhere although I haven't checked.

RS has 1/4" to RCA plugs all the time...not even cables just a small little plug. I have used them with my BFD.
post #14 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

The Nady or the Behringer Mics are pretty good Mics and are only around $50 on parts express but you need "phantom Power" too and its another $30 or so (as I learned recently). I have the RS SPL Meter too and it just doesnt compare for accuracy.

If instead of an AECI SOS, I went the route of the mic and the phantom power, is there a Bheringer model that I could use that would not require me to hook up a computer? Thanks
post #15 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZER STRIKE View Post

I am looking for a sub EQ, i would like it to be fairly easy to use and if possible have RCA inputs/outputs. Recommendations?

eD sells one.
don't know how good it is
post #16 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post

If instead of an AECI SOS, I went the route of the mic and the phantom power, is there a Bheringer model that I could use that would not require me to hook up a computer? Thanks

You don't HAVE to use a computer and REW with the Berhinger, but it sure makes it easier than trying to plot the frequency response manually.

You can do in REW in 15 seconds what would take hours doing manually. Plotting the reponse, then you have to calculate the filters manually and after you input the filters you'd have to plot the response again manually to see the effects taking more hours and any tweaking would need another manual plot taking more hours. All this can be done with REW in a few minutes.

It could be done but it would be very time consuming without a computer hookup. I would look for an alternative method like the SMS if I couldn't use the computer with it. The SMS is more money but the time savings and ease of use would make up for that real quick as opposed to doing it manually.
post #17 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

You don't HAVE to use a computer and REW with the Berhinger, but it sure makes it easier than trying to plot the frequency response manually.

You can do in REW in 15 seconds what would take hours doing manually. Plotting the reponse, then you have to calculate the filters manually and after you input the filters you'd have to plot the response again manually to see the effects taking more hours and any tweaking would need another manual plot taking more hours. All this can be done with REW in a few minutes.

It could be done but it would be very time consuming without a computer hookup. I would look for an alternative method like the SMS if I couldn't use the computer with it. The SMS is more money but the time savings and ease of use would make up for that real quick as opposed to doing it manually.

Thanks. It looks like the SOS is a good compromise between price/convenience.
I checked out the ed unit on their website. It looks like it does not come with a mic, and it does not make the auto corrections like the SOS unit.
post #18 of 1785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David HT guy View Post

I checked out the ed unit on their website. It looks like it does not come with a mic, and it does not make the auto corrections like the SOS unit.

It doesnt, its just a bare minimum device.
post #19 of 1785
Thread Starter 
Does the SOS work for multi sub setups?
post #20 of 1785
EQ for a subwoofer?

If you are trying to get a flat output with room mode cancellation there is a automatic device available; Anti-Mode 8033 from VLSI solutions:
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/home.shtml

It really worked in my system. Also local hifi-magazine tested & measured it and it works as promised. At one point it was compared to these general auto-eq's available (Audyssey etc.) and it was simply superior.

The company is also introducing some other interesting stuff also; an monitor speaker with integrated servo & DPS
post #21 of 1785
"Anti-Mode 8033 from VLSI solutions"

Thats a cool product, do you have a link where we can buy it? It seems to be only available outside of the US and we can not buy it online?
post #22 of 1785
There seems to be link to their web store behind their 'buy'-page. It is available to North America also (bottom of the page):
http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/ep...ucts/8033-0001

I bought mine from the first batch they manufactured several months ago. There was a lot of rumours and general stir about this device in many hifi & home theater forums locally. So, I had a feeling they might be sold out after it was going to be tested in local 'Hifi-world' -magazine. I was right and didn't have to wait for weeks for the new batch to arrive.

When it arrived I just plugged it between my amp and the sub and calibrated it as instructed. My 50hz room mode just disapeared. Simply amazing little device!
post #23 of 1785
Anti-Mode 8033

Looks like an interesting product. I did find the North American model but no info as to US availability. I've got an email in to them, hopefully they will respond soon and I'll update.

EDIT.....Just to updated they never responded.
post #24 of 1785
Thread Starter 
any other suggestions
post #25 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaarani View Post

EQ for a subwoofer?

If you are trying to get a flat output with room mode cancellation there is a automatic device available; Anti-Mode 8033 from VLSI solutions:
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/home.shtml

It really worked in my system. Also local hifi-magazine tested & measured it and it works as promised. At one point it was compared to these general auto-eq's available (Audyssey etc.) and it was simply superior.

The company is also introducing some other interesting stuff also; an monitor speaker with integrated servo & DPS

Looks like a really neat product for $317 US.
post #26 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Looks like a really neat product for $317 US.

Yes it does if we could get more information on it and US available. I emailed them 2 days ago and no response.
post #27 of 1785
One would think they sell those to the US since it was listed in the delivery destinations and there is a North American version (120V) available.
post #28 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Anti-Mode 8033

Looks like an interesting product. I did find the North American model but no info as to US availability. I've got an email in to them, hopefully they will respond soon and I'll update.

EDIT.....Just to updated they never responded.

Which address did you sent the email to? It is possible that it was filtered by VLSI mail servers spam filters. VLSI does sell 8033 Anti-Mode to North America, as stated on the web pages.

If you have any questions considering this new device, I can answer to them, as I would be the one answering to the emails anyway.

The product can be bought with US power supply in here:
http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/ep...ucts/8033-0001
...and select 8033-0002 from the product variations (bottom of the page) which is North American 120V version
post #29 of 1785
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEL79 View Post


If you have any questons concidering this new device, I can answer to them, as I would be the one anseriong to the emails anyway.

Does the device only reduce peaks in frequency response or does it attempt to raise dips as well?
post #30 of 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZER STRIKE View Post

Does the device only reduce peaks in frequency response or does it attempt to raise dips as well?

It has 24 peak reducing AMFs (Anti-Modal oscillation filters), of which 3 are capable to raise wide dips by a few dB. It does not try to raise narrow local nulls as they shouldn't.
The calibration can also be done to wider area with 2nd phase calibration, which will employ 6 extra AMFs reserved for this purpose.

In these graphs there are few examples of 'slight' raising of the valleys:
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/technolog...urements.shtml

It is very typical, however, that 8033 uses all AMFs to counter modal ringing and suppress peaks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Best sub EQ under $400