or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread - Page 182

post #5431 of 5645
Mine seems to work with DTS-HD just fine. I'm using an Onkyo AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre11 View Post

Just got my repaired BD-P1500 back after 2.6 bricked it. Playing with the settings, I decided to switch from PCM to Bitstream (audiophile) into my Sony STR-DG820 through HDMI. The receiver shows that it's getting DTS-HD Master Audio, but there's a noticeable buzz from my speakers (much louder than the minor background buzz when using PCM). Both the other audio options are set to off.

Has anyone experienced issues with Bitstream (audiophile) and DTS-HD master? When I play a DVD or use PCM, the buzzing goes away. Would the Sony AVR be the more likely culprit?
post #5432 of 5645
Problem solved: unplug then plug the 1500 back in after the firmware update

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Hi, I just updated my player to the latest firmware using the internal update feature in the setup menu.

However, now the 24Hz will not stay. When I switch to it, my screen goes blank, then flashes back in 10 seconds or so with 60Hz as the setting.

Any ideas? What is the best firmware for using 24Hz? 24Hz worked before the update, but would lose it's setting from time to time... I don't even know what firmware I had before the flash
post #5433 of 5645
I bought this player when it first came out (summer 08) and had v1.0. How's that for size.

I upgraded it to v1.1, and have left it there since. For the most part it has played every single BD I've put in there. I have had a few troublesome movies though, but still got them to work.

Now, I can't play 2012 and fear I'm going to need to upgrade. Damn.
post #5434 of 5645
The firmware updates are pretty reliable from my experience. Just be sure to unplug the unit when it's done then plug it back in.

Honestly, I never thought I'd see an $80 player that looked as good as the BDP1500. I have a nice PJ hooked to it, and I'm very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

I bought this player when it first came out (summer 08) and had v1.0. How's that for size.

I upgraded it to v1.1, and have left it there since. For the most part it has played every single BD I've put in there. I have had a few troublesome movies though, but still got them to work.

Now, I can't play 2012 and fear I'm going to need to upgrade. Damn.
post #5435 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

I bought this player when it first came out (summer 08) and had v1.0. How's that for size.

I upgraded it to v1.1, and have left it there since. For the most part it has played every single BD I've put in there. I have had a few troublesome movies though, but still got them to work.

Now, I can't play 2012 and fear I'm going to need to upgrade. Damn.

2012 played [at least started - I haven't watched it all yet] on my 1500 I'm using FW 2.5 currently. However, I have a Buffalo BD Burner in my Windows Vista PC that won't play 2012!! This is the first disc in IT that won't play! Haven't done a firmware on it - never. imay have to look into that though.

Just thought you'd like to know.
post #5436 of 5645
Well, I upgraded to v1.3 and it would now play the same entrance clip over and over (whereas before it would just stay blank).

So I went to v2.4 and sure enough 2012 worked, along with some other titles released a while ago (First Blood, Rambo 4, WallE). So I guess I'm happy that it works now!

(Except that I think in the back of my head I was secretly hoping it wouldn't work, as I've now got my eye on the new BDC5500. It's ok! I shouldn't be spending money for no reason...)
post #5437 of 5645
I am a newbie to the site and am seeking advice. I recently purchased a Samsung BD-P1500. I tried connected it to my TV (Sony KP-53HS10) which is about 10 years old. The connection is via component cables as the set has no HDMI inputs. I am only getting “snow” and some occasional horizontal lines on the screen.
The Samsung unit does function properly when hooked to another TV in my home that has HDMI inputs.
Any one have any helpful ideas for allowing the BD P1500 to play on the Sony set? Thanks.
post #5438 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwolk View Post

I am a newbie to the site and am seeking advice. I recently purchased a Samsung BD-P1500. I tried connected it to my TV (Sony KP-53HS10) which is about 10 years old. The connection is via component cables as the set has no HDMI inputs. I am only getting snow and some occasional horizontal lines on the screen.
The Samsung unit does function properly when hooked to another TV in my home that has HDMI inputs.
Any one have any helpful ideas for allowing the BD P1500 to play on the Sony set? Thanks.

Its pry set to 1080p so if you reset it to defaults it should work. I cant remember how but i thin you hold Pause during power on.
post #5439 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwolk View Post

I am a newbie to the site and am seeking advice. I recently purchased a Samsung BD-P1500. I tried connected it to my TV (Sony KP-53HS10) which is about 10 years old. The connection is via component cables as the set has no HDMI inputs. I am only getting snow and some occasional horizontal lines on the screen.
The Samsung unit does function properly when hooked to another TV in my home that has HDMI inputs.
Any one have any helpful ideas for allowing the BD P1500 to play on the Sony set? Thanks.

I just don't see any point in hooking a Blu-ray device to an older television set. Just hook your DVD player up to your Sony and your BDP-1500 to your newer set. The Sony will not be able to take advantage of the higher resolution of Blu-ray so you will not get any advantage by hooking your BDP-1500 to your Sony TV.
post #5440 of 5645
Thanks for the replies.
Because of some odd space constraints, I am not able to permanently hook up the Samsung Blu Ray to my newer set with HDMI inputs (Believe me, I wish I were able to do so!)
I did try resetting the unit by holding down of the FF toggle wheel for 5 sec. (This is what I was instructed to do by Samsung support.......no great help) The "reset" light come on and the front screen say its outputing at 1080i.
When I put in a Blu Ray disk, I get the snow and horizontal lines. When I put in a regular disk, I get two idendicle, vertical panels separated by thick, vertical black line on my screen. Audio appears to work well on both Blu Ray and regular DVD's.
Any more thoughts?
post #5441 of 5645
Well, could you just buy a $30 mini DVD player for your space? It will be much more compact than the BDP-1500.
post #5442 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Well, could you just buy a $30 mini DVD player for your space? It will be much more compact than the BDP-1500.

I have heard mention of changing the output on this BP to 24 fps. Where do you make that adjustment in the menu?
post #5443 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwolk View Post

Thanks for the replies.
Because of some odd space constraints, I am not able to permanently hook up the Samsung Blu Ray to my newer set with HDMI inputs (Believe me, I wish I were able to do so!)
I did try resetting the unit by holding down of the FF toggle wheel for 5 sec. (This is what I was instructed to do by Samsung support.......no great help) The "reset" light come on and the front screen say its outputing at 1080i.
When I put in a Blu Ray disk, I get the snow and horizontal lines. When I put in a regular disk, I get two idendicle, vertical panels separated by thick, vertical black line on my screen. Audio appears to work well on both Blu Ray and regular DVD's.
Any more thoughts?

Have you tried a different set of Component cables. You could have a bad cable set. Or you could try to connect a Composite cable (see page 16 Item #6 in User Manual & page 24 shows the hook up connections for the Composite connection). I would be willing to bet it is a cable issue.
post #5444 of 5645
Have you ever had another HD source plugged into it. This description of your TV sounds like it may have trouble. I am not sure how they worked, but the first HD sets needed a HD receiver. Is that necessary with this use?

"The Sony KP-53HS10 sets itself apart from other rear-projection TVs by employing First Surface Mirror technology, which reduces the depth of the projection area and results in improved resolution, brightness, and color reproduction. The feature is particularly valuable because this 53-inch model broadcasts 1080i high-definition images, in addition to 480p and 480i digital formats (it doesn't accept 780p, however). Note that the TV doesn't come with an HD receiver, which needs to be purchased separately. Other features that contribute to the TV's superior picture quality include MicroFocus picture tubes and lenses, Sony's Digital Reality Creation (delivers four times the density of conventional NTSC images), a 3D digital comb filter, Dynamic Focus circuitry, and Flash Focus, which adjusts the color convergence automatically."
post #5445 of 5645
Hi, newbie here. I've had this player for about a year and haven't had any problems with it till recently. The first problem was when I tried watching The Abyss DVD (not Blu-ray), it was like it was playing the movie in 4:3 Letterbox... and then today I just noticed that it's doing the same thing with the special features with a Blu-ray now (Wall Street), even though the film itself plays normal. Anyone notice this before?
post #5446 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider506 View Post

Hi, newbie here. I've had this player for about a year and haven't had any problems with it till recently. The first problem was when I tried watching The Abyss DVD (not Blu-ray), it was like it was playing the movie in 4:3 Letterbox... and then today I just noticed that it's doing the same thing with the special features with a Blu-ray now (Wall Street), even though the film itself plays normal. Anyone notice this before?

What firmware version are you using? Upgrading might fix those issues....
post #5447 of 5645
Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. I tried switching component cables.....no change in the problem. The component inputs on the Sony set do work with my direct tv HD box. I will try to change to the frame rate to 24 fps.
post #5448 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider506 View Post

Hi, newbie here. I've had this player for about a year and haven't had any problems with it till recently. The first problem was when I tried watching The Abyss DVD (not Blu-ray), it was like it was playing the movie in 4:3 Letterbox... and then today I just noticed that it's doing the same thing with the special features with a Blu-ray now (Wall Street), even though the film itself plays normal. Anyone notice this before?

The culprits might be these two discs themselves. The Abyss DVD was long available only in a non-anamorphic version, and sometimes special features are non-anamorphic as well.
post #5449 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwolk View Post

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions. I tried switching component cables.....no change in the problem. The component inputs on the Sony set do work with my direct tv HD box. I will try to change to the frame rate to 24 fps.

Bad move. There is zero chance a 10 yr old tv will do 24fps.
post #5450 of 5645
I have the Abyss DVD (Director's cut with special features on 2nd DVD) and it is the disc as mms1015 said. When the Blu Ray is released it'll be a first day buy for me, as long as they don't 'Lord of the Rings' it and put out the theatrical version only.

2012 plays fine in my player at firmware 2.1.
post #5451 of 5645
The good news is the service center was able to duplicate my freezing/stuttering issue ..... bad news is they are unable to repair.

So now waiting to see if I'll get reimbursed or a replacement...... just hoping I don't get a refurbished unit. If I get reimbursed and don't have to spend in same store I think I'll get the Oppo BDP80.
post #5452 of 5645
Has anyone else had audio issues with Evangelion 1.11? The English TrueHD track skips / drops out a bit at about 1:25:00 into the movie and lasts for about 15 seconds.
post #5453 of 5645
how can I get my bdp1500 to play avi files?! my wedding dvd is in avi format and it wont play.
post #5454 of 5645
I found that any small problems went away when I reset this unit to factory default (press FF for 5 seconds-found in your manual) and then update your firmware. Worth a try for anyone having problems.
post #5455 of 5645
Changing resolutions and AV receiver w/ HDMI: Ive always had this issue and hate it! Please help! Ive had this issue a year now...tried posting this 3 times and I'm still stuck. I'm sure I have a setting wrong somewhere...

Quickly about the setup:
samsung 1500 over hdmi to a onkyo 706, onkyo to a samsung tv over HDMI. On the blueray player: I have movie frame 24fs on, resolution set to 1080p. Bitstream on, pcm down sampling off, dynamic compression off.

Heres my issue: during previews and such of blue ray movies the resolution changes often (fbi warnings, etc). When this occurs everything has to re-handshake. It results in missing things on the screen, sometimes you start a few seconds into a preview. Its annoying. I can fix the output of the onkyo receiver but the blueray player still has to handshake with the onkyo on every resolution change.
post #5456 of 5645
This happens to me too, with HDMI straight to my IN83 PJ.
If I enable the PJ's DDC/HDMI EDID, it takes 20, 30 or 50 TIMES before the P1500 finally syncs with it! Disabling DDC allows it to sync after only 1 "handshake" each video change.
It's not my PJ, because I had the same "handshake" issue with the P1500 and my SP7210 PJ. My P1400 blu-ray player never did this.
Believe me, I understand your frustration. It's quite annoying. I don't know if anything (short of firmware) can stop this from happening with this model.
post #5457 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Guy View Post

This happens to me too, with HDMI straight to my IN83 PJ.
If I enable the PJ's DDC/HDMI EDID, it takes 20, 30 or 50 TIMES before the P1500 finally syncs with it! Disabling DDC allows it to sync after only 1 "handshake" each video change.
It's not my PJ, because I had the same "handshake" issue with the P1500 and my SP7210 PJ. My P1400 blu-ray player never did this.
Believe me, I understand your frustration. It's quite annoying. I don't know if anything (short of firmware) can stop this from happening with this model.

Thanks for the reply - your the first! If you dont mind me asking - whats PJ's DDC/HDMI EDID?
post #5458 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tange1 View Post

. . . If you dont mind me asking - whats PJ's DDC/HDMI EDID?

It's one of my projector's controls you can turn on or off that allows the projector to get identifying info from the HDMI-connected device. Don't know what the conflict is with the P1500 unless maybe it doesn't output this signal or it's just incompatible with my projector. I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out what the problem is.
post #5459 of 5645
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post

I bought this player when it first came out (summer 08) and had v1.0. How's that for size.

I upgraded it to v1.1, and have left it there since. For the most part it has played every single BD I've put in there. I have had a few troublesome movies though, but still got them to work.

Now, I can't play 2012 and fear I'm going to need to upgrade. Damn.

I remember reading some of your comments at the beginning of this thread and I think we have the same exact dilemma. I got mine on the spring of '08 and updated the SW just once from v1.0 to v1.1 and never had any major playability issues whatsoever,until 2012. So I updated to the latest FW via ethernet this afternoon and it solved the problem. I've read about some folks here having problem updating FW using this route, but this is how I updated the first time and it worked then so I just thought I'd try it again.
post #5460 of 5645
How quiet is this models fan/internals when viewing Blu-Ray content? Anyone have it in a small bedroom?

I have a Magnavox Blu-Ray player and it gets annoying because it makes disk-reading noises on/off throughout a movie. Kind of like the disk is skipping or stopping/restarting but it isn't really doing so. I'm in a small bedroom and this Magnavox seems too cheaply built to suppress some of the internal noise of the machine/disk/laser what have youThanks!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The Official Samsung BD-P1500 Owner's Thread