or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › New Line to release " Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" on July 29
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Line to release " Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" on July 29 - Page 3

post #61 of 147
I'll tell you, with all of the issues with DTS-MA and the possibility of it destroying speakers with popping in one form or another, I'm just tempted to play the core.
post #62 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I'll tell you, with all of the issues with DTS-MA and the possibility of it destroying speakers with popping in one form or another, I'm just tempted to play the core.

David... I mixed the film and think that'll be just fine...
post #63 of 147
Anyone having pop issues with players other than Sony? The pops are there for me PS3>Denon 3808, but nothing that will blow your speakers. I would still listen to it with the core if you can because the pops are distracting at times.
post #64 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

David... I mixed the film and think that'll be just fine...

I'll take your word for it then I'll look forward to hearing your work. After re-reading the DVDTown review you're right it doesn't mention anything specific to this title. It would be interesting to find out if those who are having issues with bitstreaming ever FW upgraded their receivers, I would guess not.
post #65 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

I'll take your word for it then I'll look forward to hearing your work. After re-reading the DVDTown review you're right it doesn't mention anything specific to this title. It would be interesting to find out if those who are having issues with bitstreaming ever FW upgraded their receivers, I would guess not.

The guy on the LG thread says his 805 is DSP and FW upgraded..

I'll have my copy today, and will try on my PS3 and standalone..
post #66 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Anyone having pop issues with players other than Sony? The pops are there for me PS3>Denon 3808, but nothing that will blow your speakers. I would still listen to it with the core if you can because the pops are distracting at times.

yeah, I thought that was made clear earlier, it's not a pop/bomb that is gonna blow the speakers up, at least not the ones I hear. Just really annoying for the most part.

I did a mix/match today, I have:
PS3 to a Sony DG810
S350 to Onkyo 606

I hooked the PS3 up to both receivers, get repeatable pops on both setups with DTS-MA only, no problems with core.

S350 doesn't produce any pops when bitsreaming to 606. Can't do DTS-MA to 810.
post #67 of 147
Has anyone with a BD30 played this film with DTS-HD MASTER? Any pops?
post #68 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post

Has anyone with a BD30 played this film with DTS-HD MASTER? Any pops?

It doesn't sound like its an issue with the bitstream players. It seems to be another issue with the various receivers from last year but a different issue than was fixed previously. As it was said in another forum, could this be an issue with the branch points for the "dude let's change the movie feature". Can anyone confirm if the time codes coincide with those branch points in the movie?
post #69 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

It doesn't sound like its an issue with the bitstream players. It seems to be another issue with the various receivers from last year but a different issue than was fixed previously. As it was said in another forum, could this be an issue with the branch points for the "dude let's change the movie feature". Can anyone confirm if the time codes coincide with those branch points in the movie?

As I said above, we do have reports of some bitstreaming players having issues.

I will be able to tell you about the branching tonight... I know the movie that well..
post #70 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Anyone having pop issues with players other than Sony? The pops are there for me PS3>Denon 3808, but nothing that will blow your speakers. I would still listen to it with the core if you can because the pops are distracting at times.

Getting frequent pops from Pioneer 95FD to Onkyo 705
post #71 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

As I said above, we do have reports of some bitstreaming players having issues.

I will be able to tell you about the branching tonight... I know the movie that well..

Right but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the players, seems to be on the receiver end. It would be helpful if it were a popular title here as we would have much more input. I'm really looking forward to finding out about the branching as that would seem to be the one glaring difference between this and the other problem titles in the past.
post #72 of 147
Well, I don't recall all of the pops being in places where in "Change the movie" would be used. But maybe they were/are.

I don't even think it's a receiver issue, for me it's a PS3 issue as I even get the pops when I hook the PS3 directly to my TV and use the TV speakers. Again, only on the DTS-MA track.
post #73 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

Well, I don't recall all of the pops being in places where in "Change the movie" would be used. But maybe they were/are.

I don't even think it's a receiver issue, for me it's a PS3 issue as I even get the pops when I hook the PS3 directly to my TV and use the TV speakers. Again, only on the DTS-MA track.

It may be better to call it a decoder issue, rather than player or receiver issue.... it seems to happen regardless of where the decoding takes place.
post #74 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

It may be better to call it a decoder issue, rather than player or receiver issue.... it seems to happen regardless of where the decoding takes place.

Exactly right, it's just odd that this doesn't appear to be an issue with at least the Onkyo 606, which I'm guessing uses newer or different DSPs than last years 05 line
post #75 of 147
No issues for me with BD30 bitstreaming to Onkyo 705.
post #76 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

count me in as well. PS3-->Onkyo 606

Apparently the problem exists on the newer Onkyo receivers as well.
post #77 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

count me in as well. PS3-->Onkyo 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

Exactly right, it's just odd that this doesn't appear to be an issue with at least the Onkyo 606, which I'm guessing uses newer or different DSPs than last years 05 line

This problem has been reported on the 606.
post #78 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by etimmy22 View Post

This problem has been reported on the 606.

But in that case it's the PS3 thats doing the decoding not the 606. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to have the same issue though.
post #79 of 147
Was the user with the 606 also using a PS3? Cause I don't have any problems with my 606 but I am using the S350 with it. The PS3 is the only thing having the problem for me. I can remove the receiver (a DG810) from the link and go directly to my TV and the pops are still there. For me it is definatley the PS3 decoding, nothing to do with a receiver.
post #80 of 147
Tested it out last night..

PS3 has issues, S350 bitstreaming doesn't. It looks as if the only player having bitstream issues is the LG, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

DTS is getting their copy today, and will be following up with me about it..

I'll let you all know...
post #81 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

Was the user with the 606 also using a PS3? Cause I don't have any problems with my 606 but I am using the S350 with it. The PS3 is the only thing having the problem for me. I can remove the receiver (a DG810) from the link and go directly to my TV and the pops are still there. For me it is definatley the PS3 decoding, nothing to do with a receiver.



Yes he was using a PS3. I just wanted to clarify that this is not a receiver problem. So far its pointing to ps3 and other players like the BDP1400 as reported in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...00924&page=286
post #82 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post

I'm getting the pops as well on a Sony 350 bitstreaming DTS-MA to a Denon 3808.
The first time it happened was @ 11:47 followed by another exactly a minute later @ 12:47. Completely repeatable and at that point I stopped the movie.

This is the first issue I've had with the Denon and DTS-MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Getting frequent pops from Pioneer 95FD to Onkyo 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Tested it out last night..

PS3 has issues, S350 bitstreaming doesn't. It looks as if the only player having bitstream issues is the LG, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

DTS is getting their copy today, and will be following up with me about it..

I'll let you all know...

I don't think we can nail it down to specific bitstream players. What receiver are you working with FilmMixer? It will be very interesting to see what DTS has to say about the issue. Did you find any connection between the pops and the branch points?
post #83 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Tested it out last night..

PS3 has issues, S350 bitstreaming doesn't. It looks as if the only player having bitstream issues is the LG, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

DTS is getting their copy today, and will be following up with me about it..

I'll let you all know...

Problem exists with other players as well. BDP1400 Bitstreamed to 805. Newer players seem to be fine?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...00924&page=286
post #84 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

I don't think we can nail it down to specific bitstream players. What receiver are you working with FilmMixer? It will be very interesting to see what DTS has to say about the issue. Did you find any connection between the pops and the branch points?

I'm using a Denon..

Sorry guys that I didn't look back into the posts..

I will send the equipment list to DTS...

The points where the chirps were are close to branched scenes, but it would be a bad place to do it as they are both in the middle of music cues... doesn't mean it isn't there, but it wouldn't be the smartest place to branch.
post #85 of 147
Being reported on other sites (blu-ray.com) that unchecking all 7.1 options in the HDMI manual setup on the PS3 eliminates the pops. I tried it and it works for me. No popping if I tell the PS3 to not use any 7.1 settings.
post #86 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

Being reported on other sites (blu-ray.com) that unchecking all 7.1 options in the HDMI manual setup on the PS3 eliminates the pops. I tried it and it works for me. No popping if I tell the PS3 to not use any 7.1 settings.

I assume it changes the track to 5.1 though?
post #87 of 147
Yes, but it's still DTS-MA

*let me clarify a bit. The PS3 is still showing DTS-MA 7.1, but I believe it is only sending 5.1. I might be wrong however. Either way, I only have 5.1 where my PS3 is so it's not a big deal at this point, but it's still something that needs to be corrected.
post #88 of 147
Well thats an interesting workaround, I'm not running 7.1 anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
post #89 of 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

Being reported on other sites (blu-ray.com) that unchecking all 7.1 options in the HDMI manual setup on the PS3 eliminates the pops. I tried it and it works for me. No popping if I tell the PS3 to not use any 7.1 settings.

Thanks for the info... passed along.
post #90 of 147
I have not noticed this problem with any other 7.1 dts-ma discs. Has anyone or heard of anyone having this problem with other titles?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › New Line to release " Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" on July 29