or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 394

post #11791 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaye View Post

does anyone know if the calibration settings will survive an extended power failure?

mark

Yes.
post #11792 of 14945
I too had a calibration done by D-Nice this past weekend. He calibrated my 6020 and I could not be more pleased. D-Nice is professional, patient and a perfectionist. My calibration was done in movie mode and the picture now is simply superb. Honestly, prior to calibration, my 6020 picture was very good but I felt it lacked something. Maybe in movie mode it was just a little "dull" and a little "yellow"; nothing objectionable, it just didn't blow me away. Post-calibration, whites are vastly improved, and color and detail are exceptional, very much like looking through a window. I've attached my calibration reports for anyone interested. I might add, I too have the OPPO 83 and it makes quite a combo with the 6020. If anyone here is sitting on the fence regarding professional calibration, my two cents worth is that it is absolutely worth it, and D-Nice comes highly recommended!Attachment 145541

Attachment 145542

 

Pioneer PDP-6020FD Pre Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 210.091796875k . file

 

Pioneer PDP-6020FD Post Calibration Forum Report (Movie).pdf 197.7646484375k . file
post #11793 of 14945
Thread Starter 
Thank you for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gman View Post

I too had a calibration done by D-Nice this past weekend. He calibrated my 6020 and I could not be more pleased. D-Nice is professional, patient and a perfectionist. My calibration was done in movie mode and the picture now is simply superb. Honestly, prior to calibration, my 6020 picture was very good but I felt it lacked something. Maybe in movie mode it was just a little "dull" and a little "yellow"; nothing objectionable, it just didn't blow me away. Post-calibration, whites are vastly improved, and color and detail are exceptional, very much like looking through a window. I've attached my calibration reports for anyone interested. I might add, I too have the OPPO 83 and it makes quite a combo with the 6020. If anyone here is sitting on the fence regarding professional calibration, my two cents worth is that it is absolutely worth it, and D-Nice comes highly recommended!Attachment 145541

Attachment 145542
post #11794 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gman View Post

I too had a calibration done by D-Nice this past weekend. He calibrated my 6020 and I could not be more pleased.

Thanks for the calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.
post #11795 of 14945
D-Nice: How does the Contrast reported in your software correlate to what we have read before? 6.5 million before, and 7.5million after?
post #11796 of 14945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

D-Nice: How does the Contrast reported in your software correlate to what we have read before? 6.5 million before, and 7.5million after?

What?
post #11797 of 14945
At the bottom of the report, there is a section labeled Contrast. It shows the ANSI as 0, but above that is a very large number. That's what I was wondering about.
post #11798 of 14945
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

At the bottom of the report, there is a section labeled Contrast. It shows the ANSI as 0, but above that is a very large number. That's what I was wondering about.

I don't do ANSI measurements when I'm calibrating a customer's display. The On/Off isn't accurate because none of my meters can accurately measure the MLL of the Kuros anymore. (they are below 0.001fL).
post #11799 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you write about your impressions of your display's PQ before and after calibration, I would like to add your comments to the list of owner's reports that's linked at the bottom of my post.

The one difference after calibration is that when I set the television to "dot-by-dot" I see that the program I am watching does not fill the whole screen. Some channels accept dot-by-dot and fill the screen and some prgrams don't. The colors do not appear exaggerated as they did before and black level is not to dark or too white.
post #11800 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

...The On/Off isn't accurate because none of my meters can accurately measure the MLL of the Kuros anymore....

Thanks for that explanation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag12203 View Post

...Some channels accept dot-by-dot and fill the screen and some programs don't....

This could be the difference between a channel at 1080i and one at 720p.
post #11801 of 14945
I agree with Jim, this is always apparent when watching a feed that is 720p vs. 1080i - via DirectTV or a direct OTA HD feed from a network that transmits their digital signal at 720p vs. 1080i (example Fox vs. NBC). If this annoys you (as it does me) then you can switch to AUTO or just switch back to Dot when watching a source that is 1080i or 1080p. Scary thing for me is after I bought my Kuro I couldn't watch SD material anymore and now I'm starting to stay away from 720p material due to the line - I like the look of dot-to-dot too much.
post #11802 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I agree with Jim, this is always apparent when watching a feed that is 720p vs. 1080i - via DirectTV

While I have an un-Elite rather than a non-Elite I don't see this on Direct unless it's SD (480i). I use native mode and only see "underscan" artifacts during SD commercials.

My old TV had an overscan toggle that zoomed away 2% of the image that was perfect for this problem.

Assuming we're talking about the same problem.
post #11803 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

While I have an un-Elite rather than a non-Elite I don't see this on Direct unless it's SD (480i). I use native mode and only see "underscan" artifacts during SD commercials.

My old TV had an overscan toggle that zoomed away 2% of the image that was perfect for this problem.

Assuming we're talking about the same problem.

Size 1 on the pz85u's? That was a nice setting to eliminate those underscan artifacts.
post #11804 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post

Size 1 on the pz85u's? That was a nice setting to eliminate those underscan artifacts.

Yeah, and a lot cheaper than a Lumagen (assuming you already have a PZ85).
post #11805 of 14945
Whats the next best Non-pioneer plasma? 60" preferred. Looks like most of those are gone.
post #11806 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasper View Post

Whats the next best Non-pioneer plasma? 60" preferred. Looks like most of those are gone.

You should be able to get a KPM-600 from a forum sponsor still - I believe Roman had an ad this morning for KPMs on home page of the forum. There may be others too, many advantages to the KPM and the only disadvantage (no speaker) can be fixed very easily by acquiring unwanted Elite speakers or buying a sound bar, etc.
post #11807 of 14945
Picked up a 6020FD today. My local Best Buy had two in stock that were on clearance! WAYYY below MSRP. Guess they are really desperate...or just wanted to get rid of them fast. Picked it up for $2799!
post #11808 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasper View Post

Whats the next best Non-pioneer plasma? 60" preferred. Looks like most of those are gone.

Not all are gone, check the forum classifieds.
post #11809 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

You should be able to get a KPM-600 from a forum sponsor still - I believe Roman had an ad this morning for KPMs on home page of the forum. There may be others too, many advantages to the KPM and the only disadvantage (no speaker) can be fixed very easily by acquiring unwanted Elite speakers or buying a sound bar, etc.

yes, there are others. ready to ship and looking for a nice home.
post #11810 of 14945
D-Nice and others: Hello, I appreciate the information on the Kuros you have provided. I have a quick question:

I have replicated the color and av settings you recommended. When I run the slide show I see little to no variation in the reds, greens, or blues. Also, the initial white slide is displayed as gray.

Is this normal?


FYI new Kuro 151 FD
using the USB slides.

Thanks
post #11811 of 14945
Sorry need 2 more posts to pm.
post #11812 of 14945
This should do it.
post #11813 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Thanks for that explanation!

This could be the difference between a channel at 1080i and one at 720p.

Thanks but when can I do about it?
post #11814 of 14945
just picked up a panny bd 60 blu ray to pair with my 5020

rented to br movies, both in 2.41 full cinema format. this produces black bars
across the top and bottom of the screen. this worries me about burn in over a 2 hour movie.

tried all the screen size and format settings on the 5020 and could not get it to adjust the image on the screen to full 16:9 (1.84 i believe), even when i set
the pio to auto on screen format, which had always adjusted the picture to full screen before.

need some help here. if i used zoom i could get a full screen picture, but it distorts everything so much it really isn't watchable.

is burn in an issue with black bars for a 2-3 hour movie? i ran the thumbnail for 150+ hours right after purchase.

is there some setting i am missing on the pio or panny that will allow me to
adjust the br 2.41 image to full screen to elimiate the black bars?

don't want to ruin this beautiful setup with ir. funny, rented dark night and
it displayed without black bars.
post #11815 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

just picked up a panny bd 60 blu ray to pair with my 5020

rented to br movies, both in 2.41 full cinema format. this produces black bars
across the top and bottom of the screen. this worries me about burn in over a 2 hour movie.

tried all the screen size and format settings on the 5020 and could not get it to adjust the image on the screen to full 16:9 (1.84 i believe), even when i set
the pio to auto on screen format, which had always adjusted the picture to full screen before.

need some help here. if i used zoom i could get a full screen picture, but it distorts everything so much it really isn't watchable.

is burn in an issue with black bars for a 2-3 hour movie? i ran the thumbnail for 150+ hours right after purchase.

is there some setting i am missing on the pio or panny that will allow me to
adjust the br 2.41 image to full screen to elimiate the black bars?

don't want to ruin this beautiful setup with ir. funny, rented dark night and
it displayed without black bars.

I've watched multiple movies with the top an bottom black bars. Haven't noticed one hint in burn in. Zoom degrades the pq.
post #11816 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

just picked up a panny bd 60 blu ray to pair with my 5020

rented to br movies, both in 2.41 full cinema format. this produces black bars
across the top and bottom of the screen. this worries me about burn in over a 2 hour movie.

Unless you watch nothing but 2.35:1 and wider movies on your display, there is nothing to worry about.
post #11817 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

funny, rented dark night and
it displayed without black bars.

Part of "Dark Night" is 1.77:1 and part of it is wider. It's a mixed aspect ratio film on Blu-ray.
post #11818 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

just picked up a panny bd 60 blu ray to pair with my 5020

rented to br movies, both in 2.41 full cinema format. this produces black bars
across the top and bottom of the screen. this worries me about burn in over a 2 hour movie.

tried all the screen size and format settings on the 5020 and could not get it to adjust the image on the screen to full 16:9 (1.84 i believe), even when i set
the pio to auto on screen format, which had always adjusted the picture to full screen before.

need some help here. if i used zoom i could get a full screen picture, but it distorts everything so much it really isn't watchable.

is burn in an issue with black bars for a 2-3 hour movie? i ran the thumbnail for 150+ hours right after purchase.

is there some setting i am missing on the pio or panny that will allow me to
adjust the br 2.41 image to full screen to elimiate the black bars?

don't want to ruin this beautiful setup with ir. funny, rented dark night and
it displayed without black bars.

Hi estoniankid, I asked the same question awhile back and D-Nice put my mind at rest. Now I just relax and watch 2:35 movies the way they were intended, black bars and all. Like htwaits said, just don't watch that kind of programming exclusively!!

Here's my original query, D-Nice's reply follows.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16402539
post #11819 of 14945
thank you so much everyone for your responses.

i was so worried last night watching gran torino in 2.41 that i actually
stopped the movie and turned off the tv for 40-45 minutes to be sure i
wasn't causing burn in.

now with the new br player, i have it connected via hdmi on input 5 which
still has the factory settings. i have my e* 622 dvr connected via hdmi to input 6 with d-nice's recommended settings (slightly modified for my eyes).

do i use the same d-nice settings for the br movies on the panny bd60 or are
there some other settings recommended for br?

thanks again everyone, i can now watch movies without stress!
post #11820 of 14945
Sorry guys,

I have not kept up with stuff.. has anyone released the instructions to calibrate the 1080p24 cinema modes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread