or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 397

post #11881 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnguyen View Post

I actually bought a 6020 used. I noticed some uneven wear on the screen, so I used the "hot" break-in settings/break-in disk for roughly 150-200 hours. After that, a black screen looked very close to even, only slightly darker in the middle in an absolutely pitch black room.

Would I ever be able to get it "absolutely even" in screen wear? Should I still be using the "hot" break-in settings or can I have my normal settings and still use the break-in disk?

I have some image burn where the middle 4:3 is darker than the sides and after a few months of simply running the Video Pattern once a week it is very close to gone. It is so close I don't even notice it any more and could only see if in a pitch black room and really looking for it. I'll go to an input that is not actually connected so I can see the black screen. It has never had an affect on picture quality and I never noticed it while watching any content. I just ahd to learn to watch 4:3 TV with that wide/stretch setting.
post #11882 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Eagles...WTF? No place in the new house to place it?

No way to safely and cost efficiently transport it. I know.
By the way, if you know anyone it is still for sale. Less than a year old with all original packaging including box, manual, remote, etc.
post #11883 of 14941
I'll ask around. Drop me a PM to give me the pricing and your location here.
post #11884 of 14941
What's up, folks? Got my 6020. It's not mounted yet, but I hooked up the PS3 to it and I'm very pleased. Man, I thought my Sammy lcd looked good.

Hope these questions aren't misplaced:

So....I was hooked hdmi straight to 6020, Dark Knight.....picture Killer, but inadequate dialog. Is this because there are no 2ch tracks on DK other than the narration one. Is there something I'm missing? I feel I tried every setting within the PS3 and the kuro.

No biggie though because I'm going to run everything hdmi through my denon4306 and then hdmi to 6020 to get the uncompressed tracks. So, my question is.....Will I lose video processing through my denon which only has hdmi 1.2? Obviously, It'll be set to through on the denon. Thanx a lot and please redirect me to another thread if this is misplaced.
post #11885 of 14941
Has there been any progress with the Pro Adjust controls within the non-Elite besides greyscale?

Mark
post #11886 of 14941
I've added my pre an post calibration pdfs to my original post #11873
post #11887 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE 04 View Post

I've added my pre an post calibration pdfs to my original post #11873

Let me guess, every value is almost perfect?
post #11888 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by BONEHOOK View Post

...Will I lose video processing through my Denon which only has hdmi 1.2?....

HDMI video doesn't get processed within the Denon, so it will pass through nicely. Only those players that you hookup via analog, such as a VCR, are affected by the video conversion in the Denon. You'll set the player to bitstream the video and audio and go from there. You'll want to set the PS3 to upconvert standard DVDs to 1080p if your model does that.
post #11889 of 14941
Thanx Jim...I was mainly wondering about the 36bit deep color processing because the ps3 and 6020 support it, but the denon lacks 1.3 hdmi. However, I did some experimenting with it last night and couldn't appreciate a difference between ps3 straight to tv and passing through the denon. Therefore, everything's going to run through the denon so I'll be able to keep 7.1 uncompressed audio. Also, I have a toshiba hd-xa2 for standard dvd play back, so I'm cool there. I appreciate the reply. Happy 4th.
post #11890 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

let me guess, every value is almost perfect?

+1
post #11891 of 14941
Bone, you are equipped, and what you're doing is probably the way to go, so continue on with it!
post #11892 of 14941
Is there any way to display on the 6020 whether it is actually receiving a 1080p/24 signal as opposed to a 1080p/60 signal? I want to ensure that my 6020 is actually receiving a 1080p/24 signal and I am taking full advantage of its capabilities. When I hit display for 1080p sources it always just lists 1080p (for both blu-ray and DVD).

Thanks
post #11893 of 14941
Calibration Report
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post

But then I had Robert Busch come over the other day to calibrate both sets. I live in the Bay Area and he generally travels anywhere in the area.

~

Even more surprising was the improvement in the 5020 after he calibrated it. I was reluctant to "waste" money on that set, as I wasn't sure given its decreased tweakability that a calibration would help much. Wrong. After Robert was done, the "Movie" mode on the 5020 actually looked a bit better than the baseline uncalibrated Pure mode on the 141! Fantastic.

After he was done he helped me with advice about acoustic treatments for my room, speaker placement, etc. and was overall just an invaluable resource. Plus, we had a blast; the guy has great taste in local Mexican food, I have to say! Overall a highly recommended calibrator if you live in the California Bay Area.
post #11894 of 14941
I've been looking around for some time for a home theater setup. For the longest time I was looking at Onkyo receivers but someone recommended the Yahama RX-V663. The only things I didn't truly like were the fact that it came with only 2 hdmi inputs and that it doesn't output Blacker than Black colors. You think the latter will have any impact on the Kuro's awesome black levels? I heard from some sources that the upcoversion ability of the receiver is crap too, but I'll have to research that more.

Here's a link to a thread about it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995796
post #11895 of 14941
I don't understand why you think the Yamaha will have any effect at all your blacks. Set the receiver to pass through and it won't touch the signal being output by your hi-def source as it makes its way through the receiver to your Kuro. Besides it supports all the latest HDMI technology - most of it not of any benefit at this time - deep color, 36 bits, etc. Only 2 HDMI inputs would be a deal breaker for me, other than that it looks like a great receiver. Give the Onkyo 607 a look, a nice receiver with more flexibility in regards to hi-def inputs. If you are looking at a receiver that will upconvert and do a decent job of it then be prepared to spend at least $900 - that would be a for a refurb Onkyo 876.
post #11896 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I don't understand why you think the Yamaha will have any effect at all your blacks. Set the receiver to pass through and it won't touch the signal being output by your hi-def source as it makes its way through the receiver to your Kuro. Besides it supports all the latest HDMI technology - most of it not of any benefit at this time - deep color, 36 bits, etc. Only 2 HDMI inputs would be a deal breaker for me, other than that it looks like a great receiver. Give the Onkyo 607 a look, a nice receiver with more flexibility in regards to hi-def inputs. If you are looking at a receiver that will upconvert and do a decent job of it then be prepared to spend at least $900 - that would be a for a refurb Onkyo 876.

Thanks for the help. I saw another thing that might be a deal breaker, I have an ATI card which it says in the thread the Yamaha won't pass the audio through........ that sucks.
post #11897 of 14941
Nice tv ! The thing has been subjected to numerous times of abuse ; ie left on with menu screens . Doesn't miss a beat . No burn in , no nothing , other than a picture that looks better than things do in real life . That's a quote from my very critical brother in law .
Better grab one while you can !!!
Proud owner since 11/08 .
post #11898 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by opensesame View Post

Has there been any progress with the Pro Adjust controls within the non-Elite besides greyscale?

Mark

I'd love for Pioneer to throw us a bone
post #11899 of 14941
Grrr, the Kuro just croaked on me. Now you can see a huge black bar where part of the picture should be.

And the Kuro was pretty awesome till this happen. Happened on a weekend to boot so I can't call them up.
post #11900 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I'd love for Pioneer to throw us a bone

The person who was working on this - DNice - stopped after some less than friendly posts on this thread - our loss. I don't know of anyone else at this time who is still trying.
post #11901 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux View Post

Dahlsim, I would like to loan you my sensor box and Fluke multimeter that measures frequency to try on your early model 6020. If you are interested, send me a private message with your shipping address.







I want to thank you for loaning me the meter. I will be returning it to you shortly and I enjoyed the chance to play with it and do the experiment. As you know from my PM due to a death in the family as well as other priorities this was delayed. Thanks for your patience.

Although I think the latest findings that allow calibration of multiple grayscale refresh rates including both PC:Advanced (72hz) and PC Standard (60hz) make this issue almost a non-issue now, I will still post my results for the record and those that were "curious":

I've measured the refresh rates in all of the "Pure Cinema" modes with multiple input resolutions and also with different content type.:

 
Pure Cinema: Advance -- *
480/60i - 72 Hz or 60Hz
480/60p - 72 Hz or 60Hz
1080/60i - 72 Hz or 60Hz
1080/60p - 60 Hz **
1080/24p - 72 Hz
Pure Cinema: Smooth
480/60i - 60 Hz
480/60p - 60 Hz
1080/60i - 60 Hz
1080/60p - 60 Hz
1080/24p - 60 Hz
Pure Cinema: Standard
480/60i - 60 Hz
480/60p - 60 Hz
1080/60i - 60 Hz
1080/60p - 60 Hz
1080/24p - 72 Hz
Pure Cinema: Off
480/60i - 60 Hz
480/60p - 60 Hz
1080/60i - 60 Hz
1080/60p - 60 Hz
1080/24p - 60 Hz
HDMI-PC ***
480/60i - 60 Hz
480/60p - 60 Hz
1080/60i - 60 Hz
1080/60p - 60 Hz
1080/24p - 60 Hz

* -- Depends on content e.g. 1 music vid was 60hz while another was 72hz. Occasionally some shows would bounce the refresh rate from 72hz to 60hz and back for instance.

** -- May recheck this. Tested a few weeks ago and forgot what I used for content. Retested (PS3 blu-ray 24hz off) and verified.

*** -- Always 60hz for the XX20 model TVs and it handles all signal types. According to some reports the Kuro monitor series does not produce a picture for all signal types in this mode so apply only to the XX20 Kuros.
post #11902 of 14941
So basically PC OFF = 24P was BS. The truth comes out I'm surprised about standard though.
post #11903 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

The person who was working on this - DNice - stopped after some less than friendly posts on this thread - our loss. I don't know of anyone else at this time who is still trying.

I don't think anyone was ever trying from what I remember. Everyone is too busy gushing over the 500M and it's (supposed, so many people LIE on this forum) deeper blacks to care about the NEs.
post #11904 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

So basically PC OFF = 24P was BS. The truth comes out I'm surprised about standard though.

Very happy about Standard since it is now my set and forget setting. With the new ControlCAL I have modified greyscale in both 60 and 72 Hz. Now I can just leave it on Standard and be all set for whether it's blu ray or regular TV.
post #11905 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

So basically PC OFF = 24P was BS. The truth comes out I'm surprised about standard though.

I'm really glad the truth "officially" came out. I suspected it would as this may be the real reason D-Nice stopped being active here. He really went overboard pushing that PC:OFF gave you 72hz when given a 24fps signal. I certainly believed him and even suppported him when some people were questioning him earlier on. Although they probably don't come to this board any longer, I do apologize for supporting someone whose statements have proven to be false.
I suppose he had to convince people that they won't lose 24fps when the set is calibrated in order to get more calibrations. It would be nice if he would aknowledge he was wrong or at least mistaken.

But as mentioned, it's the internet, we have to be careful what we read and believe.

But since they discovered a way to calibrate two Pure Cinema Modes this is a non-issue. And I think it was the entire debate that had someone come up with the way to do it so all in all a few people helped make that happen.

One more thing to keep in mind, I have had my set calibrated in PC:OFF and PC:Advance, and if you asked me to tell you what mode it was in when watching a blu-ray in 24fps I would be guessing. The bottom line is I can't really tell a difference. I've never really studied a specific scene to look for it.

Now you'll see a bunch of posts from the supporters. Understandably as he has provided the most information on these sets, and his advice has been extremely helpful to most of us here.
post #11906 of 14941
Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem? I am trying to play video files (taken on a Canon Powershot camera) on my 6020, via a USB drive inserted into the 6020's USB input. When doing so, I get audio noise, which is loud and recurs at regular intervals (1 sec or so). It sounds like static. The video displays well.

It does NOT occur when playing the video files on my computer, or when playing them on the TV by plugging an A/V cable from the camera to the Kuro (which results in loss of HD quality, so of course I'd prefer to play them via the USB drive - as well as the convenience of using the TV's remote). The videos are .MOV files and are compatible with the home media gallery. The problem is the same whether the videos are HD or SD.
post #11907 of 14941
I don't really care anymore since my set is calibrated in PC:Advanced. I'd personally just like to see this whole mess go away.
post #11908 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23 View Post

Very happy about Standard since it is now my set and forget setting. With the new ControlCAL I have modified greyscale in both 60 and 72 Hz. Now I can just leave it on Standard and be all set for whether it's blu ray or regular TV.

+1

Yes, I found this most illuminating as well;

Pure Cinema: Standard
1080/24p - 72 Hz


A_C
post #11909 of 14941
Thread Starter 
The truth? What truth? I stand by what I got last summer....and I was not the only one who got the same readings (you would have known this if you were acutally apart of those experiments).

As far as why I do not post and/or do anything further for non-Elite owners in this thread (i.e. unlock the pro adjustment menu) is because of people like you (i.e. those who expect everything for free regardless of anything else and assume things they don't know jack about).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby View Post

I'm really glad the truth "officially" came out. I suspected it would as this may be the real reason D-Nice stopped being active here. He really went overboard pushing that PC:OFF gave you 72hz when given a 24fps signal. I certainly believed him and even suppported him when some people were questioning him earlier on. Although they probably don't come to this board any longer, I do apologize for supporting someone whose statements have proven to be false.
I suppose he had to convince people that they won't lose 24fps when the set is calibrated in order to get more calibrations. It would be nice if he would aknowledge he was wrong or at least mistaken.

But as mentioned, it's the internet, we have to be careful what we read and believe.

But since they discovered a way to calibrate two Pure Cinema Modes this is a non-issue. And I think it was the entire debate that had someone come up with the way to do it so all in all a few people helped make that happen.

One more thing to keep in mind, I have had my set calibrated in PC:OFF and PC:Advance, and if you asked me to tell you what mode it was in when watching a blu-ray in 24fps I would be guessing. The bottom line is I can't really tell a difference. I've never really studied a specific scene to look for it.

Now you'll see a bunch of posts from the supporters. Understandably as he has provided the most information on these sets, and his advice has been extremely helpful to most of us here.
post #11910 of 14941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfan9999 View Post

Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem? I am trying to play video files (taken on a Canon Powershot camera) on my 6020, via a USB drive inserted into the 6020's USB input. When doing so, I get audio noise, which is loud and recurs at regular intervals (1 sec or so). It sounds like static. The video displays well.

It does NOT occur when playing the video files on my computer, or when playing them on the TV by plugging an A/V cable from the camera to the Kuro (which results in loss of HD quality, so of course I'd prefer to play them via the USB drive - as well as the convenience of using the TV's remote). The videos are .MOV files and are compatible with the home media gallery. The problem is the same whether the videos are HD or SD.

I believe the latest FW addressed this issue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread