or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 482

post #14431 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

This forum doesn't consider the KRP models (500M/600M) to be non-Elite.
I suppose that depends on what you mean by many. There are about 14,000 posts in this (the non-Elite) thread and about 11,000 in the two KRP threads.

There are people that are unaware of the differences between the various 9G Kuros. Sometimes I point out the issue sometimes not.

well which forum do owners of the e-lites belong to after swapping out their non-kuro panels for the kuro ones?

just kidding, but the descussion as to which threat people should post on is humorous.
post #14432 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

Has anyone determined what the root cause of this is?

barry

i sure haven't noticed this one mine. some dithering though if that's what dse is referring to.
post #14433 of 14945
DSE, or dirty screen effect, is an artifact of the slightly irregular application of the coating on the surface of the plasma display. It's pretty much invisible on most content however if the image on the screen is very light, for example, a field of snow or ice, or an overcast sky, AND the camera is performing a tilt, or a pan and tilt combo, you can see an irregular horizontal texture superimposed on the image. The image displayed will change because of the camera movement but the DSE will become visible as a surface texture that does not move. This is present to one extent or another on most all Elite and non Elite displays however I was told by D-nice that it is not present on the panels which came after these.
post #14434 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

DSE, or dirty screen effect, is an artifact of the slightly irregular application of the coating on the surface of the plasma display.

Where is this documented that the coatings on sets are irregular and to the degree that it can cause this affect? I have a little knowledge of applying anti-reflective coatings (from optical lens) and I think it is unlikely the coating thickness would vary enough to cause any visible affect on the picture.

barry
post #14435 of 14945
Documented, as in tested at a lab or disclosed by Pioneer? I'm aware of no such documentation. This was discussed in these forums when these models were current. I've had occasion to talk to D-nice about this on a couple of occasions when he was doing callibrations.
post #14436 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

Documented, as in tested at a lab or disclosed by Pioneer? I'm aware of no such documentation. This was discussed in these forums when these models were current. I've had occasion to talk to D-nice about this on a couple of occasions when he was doing callibrations.

I was just wondering if it is known for a fact this is the cause. This seems to be odd that some people can see it clearly to varying degrees on all sets from different manufacturers and some people never see it.

I wonder if there are any displays without a coating and if anyone has seen DSE on these?

I have been seeing posts on about this for awhile and seen many speculate as to the existence and/or cause but I have never seen any verification as to what the true cause is.

barry
post #14437 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

Documented, as in tested at a lab or disclosed by Pioneer? I'm aware of no such documentation.

It is mentioned in the patent literature.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post16004926
post #14438 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well which forum do owners of the e-lites belong to after swapping out their non-kuro panels for the kuro ones?

just kidding, but the descussion as to which threat people should post on is humorous.

I really think that the point is that the KRP600/600 have their own thread. And since they are virtually identical to the Elite Monitors, the Elite thread is more appropriate, since the KRP's are quite different from the non-Elites.
Bottom line is that to find pertinent info on the KRP's, there are BETTER threads to visit than this one.
post #14439 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by blb1215 View Post

I was just wondering if it is known for a fact this is the cause. This seems to be odd that some people can see it clearly to varying degrees on all sets from different manufacturers and some people never see it.

I wonder if there are any displays without a coating and if anyone has seen DSE on these?

I have been seeing posts on about this for awhile and seen many speculate as to the existence and/or cause but I have never seen any verification as to what the true cause is.

barry

I had a Panasonic 60u before my Kuro and it showed no signs of DSE at all in spite of having a coated screen as well. Who knows if it's even the coating that is the culprit...the phosphers on the panel might be causing this issue on the Kuros.
post #14440 of 14945
Well crap, I've been subscribed to the wrong thread for two years lmao. I better check out the KRP threads.
post #14441 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by progrhythmical View Post

Well crap, I've been subscribed to the wrong thread for two years lmao. I better check out the KRP threads.

Better yet, be smart and scan all 3. That is what I do.
post #14442 of 14945
I posted this in the Kuro Elite thread as well, although I have no idea why there are two separate Kuro threads:

Would one be crazy to buy a new PRO-141FD at this point?? I have a 50" non-Kuro 768p panel that I'm still madly in love with (PDP-5061HD), but I'm ready to go bigger. I went shopping for the best 55" and 60" inch plasmas and LED/LCDs (Sony, Panny, Elite), but I didn't see any picture that I liked better than my old panel. I watch HD programming from FIOS 98% of the time, with only 2% Blu-Ray/DVD/PS3. There's a guy selling one new in box locally, but he's unlikely a authorized dealer so it probably doesn't have a factory warranty, and he wants way too much money for it. Assuming I could get him down in price, is this a smart purchase at this late date? I know CES 2012 is right around the corner, too, and I'm hearing about 55" OLEDs being demoed.

TIA!
post #14443 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post

I posted this in the Kuro Elite thread as well, although I have no idea why there are two separate Kuro threads:

Would one be crazy to buy a new PRO-141FD at this point?? I have a 50" non-Kuro 768p panel that I'm still madly in love with (PDP-5061HD), but I'm ready to go bigger. I went shopping for the best 55" and 60" inch plasmas and LED/LCDs (Sony, Panny, Elite), but I didn't see any picture that I liked better than my old panel. I watch HD programming from FIOS 98% of the time, with only 2% Blu-Ray/DVD/PS3. There's a guy selling one new in box locally, but he's unlikely a authorized dealer so it probably doesn't have a factory warranty, and he wants way too much money for it. Assuming I could get him down in price, is this a smart purchase at this late date? I know CES 2012 is right around the corner, too, and I'm hearing about 55" OLEDs being demoed.

TIA!

In my opinion it would depend in how much he is asking for it. I have seen them for sale from great deals to over original retail price. How much is he asking and where is it located?
post #14444 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano18 View Post

In my opinion it would depend in how much he is asking for it. I have seen them for sale from great deals to over original retail price. How much is he asking and where is it located?

Well, I could only talk him down to 5.5k, which is WAY too much for that set IMHO. I was thinking I would go as high as 4k, but even at that price it still makes me wonder if it's a good choice at this point. I should probably look wait to see what CES 2012 brings, or look for a used one in the 2.5k range.
post #14445 of 14945
I have a 50" 9G Kuro (not-Elite) Pioneer Plasma TV and I have it mounted on the stand that came with the set. Is it possible to raise the level of the TV by 3-4" so that I can place a center channel speaker in front of the TV without obstructing the picture? I did not set up the TV when I first got it, so I'm not sure if I can raise the level or not.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68
post #14446 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I have a 50" 9G Kuro (not-Elite) Pioneer Plasma TV and I have it mounted on the stand that came with the set. Is it possible to raise the level of the TV by 3-4" so that I can place a center channel speaker in front of the TV without obstructing the picture? I did not set up the TV when I first got it, so I'm not sure if I can raise the level or not.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

I should have mentioned that I have about 7" clearance now from the table on which the TV is placed and the bottom of the screen. I would like to move it up to 10" or 10.5" so that I can place a center speaker below the TV screen. Thanks.

Cal68
post #14447 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I have a 50" 9G Kuro (not-Elite) Pioneer Plasma TV and I have it mounted on the stand that came with the set. Is it possible to raise the level of the TV by 3-4" so that I can place a center channel speaker in front of the TV without obstructing the picture? I did not set up the TV when I first got it, so I'm not sure if I can raise the level or not.

Thanks for your help.

Cal68

Sure can. I built my own stand with a riser so my Kuro will clear my RC7 center.
post #14448 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

What exactly does this have to do with Kuro PDPs????

Maybe it has to do with Pioneer getting out of the Kuro biz, to partner up with Sharp on the Elite badge?
post #14449 of 14945
Thread Starter 
Seems his post was done in error. I've deleted my response.
post #14450 of 14945
Hi can someone please tell me how exactly the hdmi p.c. mode works on the display. I have a KRP600A and i'm trying to bypass all of the video processing on the screen as i'm considering adding a DVDO Iscan Duo and would like to make sure the display isn't double processing anything. I am looking for the purest picture possible.

When using an external video processor would this be the best way to get the result i'm looking for? I will be doing a full calman calibration using my colorimeter.

All help gratefully received.

Mark
post #14451 of 14945
I use a HTPC with GT 430 card with HDMI out, straight to my AVR, which is straight HDMI to the TV. The HTPC puts out a 1920 x 1080p 24 image that the TV sees only for a short while. Then I play a movie using the BD drive or over the network. I have a separate PC server for such movies, and content that all connects via a 10/100/1000 LAN.
post #14452 of 14945
Hi, has anyone on here tried the pc mode for HDMI? I have spent some time comparing it to video mode and the picture looks superior. I have also tested the gamma using calman and my colorimeter and it's a practically perfect 2.2 . I am considering using this input with an external video processor such as the DVDO I scan duo and I wondered if anyone could think of a reason why this wouldn't be preferred to video mode? Without the vp the adjustments are very limited but the signal seems much better and it seems to bypass all processing running the panel native. The iscan duo would add the adjustability back in that's lost in this mode and I'm hoping resulting in a vastly better pq.


What are your thoughts on this?
post #14453 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post

DSE, or dirty screen effect, is an artifact of the slightly irregular application of the coating on the surface of the plasma display. It's pretty much invisible on most content however if the image on the screen is very light, for example, a field of snow or ice, or an overcast sky, AND the camera is performing a tilt, or a pan and tilt combo, you can see an irregular horizontal texture superimposed on the image. The image displayed will change because of the camera movement but the DSE will become visible as a surface texture that does not move. This is present to one extent or another on most all Elite and non Elite displays however I was told by D-nice that it is not present on the panels which came after these.

My 6020 does this and has since I got it new. It's not much of a bother to me anymore though.
post #14454 of 14945
What stand will fit a 6020? Will the PDK-1015 work? Are there any generic stands that might work?
post #14455 of 14945
anyone with any input on my 6020 TV stand options? Thanks.
post #14456 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by caunyd View Post

anyone with any input on my 6020 TV stand options? Thanks.

If you want the speaker mounted on the display you need the model specific (tall) stand otherwise all the 60" stands have compatible mounting.
post #14457 of 14945
Bodosom, thanks for the advice. I'll probably order one off of Ebay then. Also I need a new power cord for this 6020. Can I buy any old power cord? Or do I have to look for something specific in the power cord?
post #14458 of 14945
Hey Guys, been a LONG time since I last visited and not sure if this is the best place to ask but I have a 5020 and am looking to upgrade to a 6020 or 151fd if I can find one anywhere.

Question is, what is a good price for a used one? How would i determine whether the unit has 100hrs viewing or 100,000 hrs. Is it even worth it to buy one used?
post #14459 of 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand1987 View Post

Hey Guys, been a LONG time since I last visited and not sure if this is the best place to ask but I have a 5020 and am looking to upgrade to a 6020 or 151fd if I can find one anywhere.

Question is, what is a good price for a used one? How would i determine whether the unit has 100hrs viewing or 100,000 hrs. Is it even worth it to buy one used?

You can purchase controlcal to check the hours. If you are interested I have the elite IO board to convert your 5020 to an E-lite for sale check out my ad. Your name makes me think you have an 87 GN. I have a 87 Turbo T that I am selling because I just bought a new house. It saddens me to let it go after all these years.
post #14460 of 14945
Jano, I most certainly do have an 87 GN, Im not one that likes to pat himself on the back but she is in EXCELLENT shape. 58k miles, several thousand in performance/handling upgrades. Dont know if I could ever bring myself to sell it. I live in the Redford/Livonia area.

Controlcal you say? How much are these? If I wasnt dead set on getting a 60" display I would probably consider the ELITE transformation. Care to give me some more info as to what this entails or what the result is?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread