or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Cloverfield (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cloverfield (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2

post #31 of 46
I just watched this and, too, found the bass fantastic...but the the front sound stage was as ginormous as the big monster and rear effects were not as ambient as I had hoped for. The surrounds were somewhat low but did split side to side and front to rear.. Compared to the Orphanage, this one wins on bass but Orphanage on all else. I think, I would have rated the sound around a 92.

That said, nice review.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I just watched this and, too, found the bass fantastic...but the the front sound stage was as ginormous as the big monster and rear effects were not as ambient as I had hoped for. The surrounds were somewhat low but did split side to side and front to rear.. Compared to the Orphanage, this one wins on bass but Orphanage on all else. I think, I would have rated the sound around a 92.

That said, nice review.

I’ve been telling everyone place multiples of surrounds in the room as if it was cinema. I, didn’t have one single issue with the DVD not one! Except the naff photography and I’m rather glad that Hud got eaten buy the Cloverfield monster yummy because he was so annoying.

The artistic approach to the sound design would have been a +10 if they had used more of the surrounds to place (Hud on centre back) rather than keeping him centre front or should I say with foggy LCR because the dialogue was splashed over LCR to create a disorienting LCR front, a few pans where heard off to left and right, thou I never watched the whole film all, the way though it was boring I didn’t care not one single bit for the characters expect the monster eating Hud alive!

So it doesn’t win my appeal too much as its just another DVD that gathers dust, still Skywalker Sound does deserve a clap. The director was pants he didn’t make one unless I missed it on the audio commentary, not one single comment about the soundtrack or Skywalker Sound so the director is pants.

I’d sooner listen to the audio commentary by Ridley Scott on the first Alien DVD edition where he mentioned “six-track Dolby stereo”: now that is hardcore and turns me one, Cloverfield was nothing ut hot-air.

Do you know I’ve watched the end credits more than the films running time, Cloverfield overture “Roar!” I must have played it on A&B loop some 80 times now, now that is sad.
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post


The artistic approach to the sound design would have been a +10 if they had used more of the surrounds to place (Hud on centre back) rather than keeping him centre front or should I say with foggy LCR because the dialogue was splashed over LCR to create a disorienting LCR front, a few pans where heard off to left and right, thou I never watched the whole film all, the way though it was boring I didn't care not one single bit for the characters expect the monster eating Hud alive!

RE:Soundtrack..
I agree.. I have a 7.1 set up and the soundtrack overall was very good. But I did have an issue with the front soundstage being a bit anemic in size. I think you are on to something with the dialog splashed over the front LCRs. That may've been my issue. In bombastic scenes, the surrounds were certainly involved but not as aggressive as I have heard in other blockbusters. That said, the surrounds supported the soundtrack at any given moment but did not draw attention to themselves. Also, in scenes with big sound (and no dialog) the front soundstage was smaller than I would've hoped. Overall excellent.. but I am nitpicking as the film was given an almost 100 (perfect) audio rating (98)..
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120 inch lcd View Post

Possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen, all it lacked was...everything. The first 30 minutes of the pointless ramblings of the young and hip, maybe if you like Dawson's Creek or something this will appeal to you.

man...am I with you on this one. I've seen far better movies on the Sci-Fi channel at 2AM..
a 23 min party scene in a monster movie??
post #35 of 46
I liked this film a lot better than I thought I would. At first I was a little disappointed on the PQ, because the opening scene in the bedroom had a lot of film grain to me, as well as the first roof top scene (after the first explosion). But for a HandiCam, it was for the most part grain free.

Sound was great, real close to excellent. Since this is my first Home Theater system, when the Jets flew overhead, I turned around and looked!

Much better movie than King Kong or Godzella - Oh wait I'm old!

Hud (the camera nerd)..............just felt bad when the monster picked him up, chewed him up and then spit him out, real bummer!
post #36 of 46
Picked this up from Tower (at a great price) after reading your review.
Me & the wife loved it, Hud was indeed funny as the cam man & the cam movement was not an issue, i'm not sure why people are having motion sickness issues with this, some of my home movies shot by my wife have the same style !!
post #37 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Picked this up from Tower (at a great price) after reading your review.
Me & the wife loved it, Hud was indeed funny as the cam man & the cam movement was not an issue, i'm not sure why people are having motion sickness issues with this, some of my home movies shot by my wife have the same style !!

Greetings,

Glad you both enjoyed it rover2002. I know what you mean about home movies and camera motion..

Cheers,
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

RE:Soundtrack..
I agree.. I have a 7.1 set up and the soundtrack overall was very good. But I did have an issue with the front soundstage being a bit anemic in size. I think you are on to something with the dialog splashed over the front LCRs. That may've been my issue. In bombastic scenes, the surrounds were certainly involved but not as aggressive as I have heard in other blockbusters. That said, the surrounds supported the soundtrack at any given moment but did not draw attention to themselves. Also, in scenes with big sound (and no dialog) the front soundstage was smaller than I would've hoped. Overall excellent.. but I am nitpicking as the film was given an almost 100 (perfect) audio rating (98)..

I’d tell you what the sound on the fronts reminded me off! “The King and I” now then! It as foggy splashy and sloppy and damn right annoying made worse only by Hud! I’m rather glad the cloverfield monster ate him.

I’d sooner watch The King and I because at least I can accept the soundtrack being what it is and at least it’s got more dialogue panning than cloverfied. No not enough effort was put into this soundtrack and the only reason people like us well, not me, people like you and others are raving about cloverfield is the (sub bass).

The sound is also very active on the surrounds around my home, without the use of bluray ether, its how you design your sound system and I’m not talking about a few surround speakers, its lot more than that!
post #39 of 46
I was one of those who was physically affected by this movie in the theater. My friends and I sat way too close to the screen and all but 2 of us had to get up and leave less than 2/3 into the movie with headaches and nausia. I was furious that I'd wasted my money and hated the movie for it. I later rented the DVD and was able to watch it without any problems on my 42" TV. I actually enjoyed it enough to buy the Blu-ray while it was on sale.
post #40 of 46
Still on the fence on this one. Saw the movie but not sure if it belongs in my collection.
post #41 of 46
I purchased this bluray disc on Black Friday because it was on sale. I think I might have seen a review but wasn't sure (I know I didn't read it). I never even heard of the movie. Boy, was I in for a surprise. This was a great film.
Audio was phenomenal. How great is it when you can watch a film and have had no expectations and come away really enjoying it. That's what this film did for me. My room was shaking!
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

I purchased this bluray disc on Black Friday because it was on sale. I think I might have seen a review but wasn't sure (I know I didn't read it). I never even heard of the movie. Boy, was I in for a surprise. This was a great film.
Audio was phenomenal. How great is it when you can watch a film and have had no expectations and come away really enjoying it. That's what this film did for me. My room was shaking!

Agree thoroughly enjoyed this
post #43 of 46
Seen the movie very nice review..
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

i purchased this bluray disc on black friday because it was on sale. I think i might have seen a review but wasn't sure (i know i didn't read it). I never even heard of the movie. Boy, was i in for a surprise. This was a great film.
Audio was phenomenal. How great is it when you can watch a film and have had no expectations and come away really enjoying it. That's what this film did for me. My room was shaking!

+1
post #45 of 46
Yes great bass, but the movie could have been so much more
post #46 of 46
Very good workout for your subwoofer.
And the way it was filmed, is very different, but keep you on your toes (tension).
Better than other similarly filmed movies.
Picture is a little distracting with that camera always shaking.
That's the only downside, I found, gives me a little headache.
And it's normal that the quality of the video does suffer. But for audio, what a ride!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Cloverfield (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review