or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › Between the BH200 & UP5000...which is best for my setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Between the BH200 & UP5000...which is best for my setup

post #1 of 42
Thread Starter 
I will be purchasing either the BH200 or the UP5000 on Saturday. I need help deciding which would be the best choice for me.

I currently have an XBOX 360 w/HD DVD addon, and a Venturer HD DVD player, and a 40 GB PS3. I intend to ditch the PS3, and buy a combo player.

I use a Sanyo Z4 720p projector, so I will be using HDMI for video. I won't have a problem with 1080/24hz playbac since my projector can't handle it anyway.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V650, which does not have HDMI input for audio. It does have optical input. It also has 7.1 analog input capability. Eventually, I intend to upgrade my receiver, but it certainly won't be for a while.

Would it be better for me to get the UP5000 and use the analog outputs for playing True HD, DD+. Would the benefits of using the analog outputs be that much better.

The other consideration is the fact that the BH200 has the potential to be updated to Profile 2.0, and being a fan of extras, commentaries and supplements, this could be a selling point.

And lastly, which player is more "glitch-free"
post #2 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

I will be purchasing either the BH200 or the UP5000 on Saturday. I need help deciding which would be the best choice for me.

I currently have an XBOX 360 w/HD DVD addon, and a Venturer HD DVD player, and a 40 GB PS3. I intend to ditch the PS3, and buy a combo player.

I use a Sanyo Z4 720p projector, so I will be using HDMI for video. I won't have a problem with 1080/24hz playbac since my projector can't handle it anyway.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V650, which does not have HDMI input for audio. It does have optical input. It also has 7.1 analog input capability. Eventually, I intend to upgrade my receiver, but it certainly won't be for a while.

Would it be better for me to get the UP5000 and use the analog outputs for playing True HD, DD+. Would the benefits of using the analog outputs be that much better.

The other consideration is the fact that the BH200 has the potential to be updated to Profile 2.0, and being a fan of extras, commentaries and supplements, this could be a selling point.

And lastly, which player is more "glitch-free"

For your current setup IMO the Samsung is better for you as it has 7.1 analog connections. This will allow you to enjoy TrueHD over your analog connections, until you upgrade......

As far as the differences go, I really cant answer that Each player has its quirks and problem discs.

If region free playing is important to you then go with the LG, as the Samsung has not proven to be hackable yet....
post #3 of 42
The Samsung will also allow you to enjoy PCM using Analogue, so only DTS-HD will be Lossy.

The LG has no Analogue outputs but can be made SD DVD Region Free, it's possible to switch between BD Regions A, B or C (effectively making it Region Free) and PAL can be enabled for Non-USA SD DVDs.

It depends if you're into importing discs or not, both are very similar Players and boil down to specific differences. Both overall are now very much the same, if you update both to the latest firmware.
post #4 of 42
Thread Starter 
I like the idea of having lossless playback through analog, but I'm more than willing to sacrifice that feature and go for the BH200 if it has fewer playback issues than the 5000.

Looking at the playback problems lists for the two players seems to indicate that the BH200 has no problems playing Region 1 HD DVD/BD disks. The only problems listed are for imported HD DVD titles, which don't really interest me. The 5000 list shows problems with a number of titles.

The other thing that concerns me is the fact that Samsung seems to take a much longer time in releasing firmware updates.

I would like to have the analog output feature, but from a purely disk playback point of view, is the BH200 a more reliable player? I am open to getting either, but I'd like to get the player that has fewer issues and the better support.
post #5 of 42
Quote:


I would like to have the analog output feature, but from a purely disk playback point of view, is the BH200 a more reliable player? I am open to getting either, but I'd like to get the player that has fewer issues and the better support.

I'd go with an LG over a Samsung player any day. Support, issues...in general I would stay away from the Samsung BD players.
post #6 of 42
LG BH200:

* There are a few North American HD-DVDs, but granted not as many.
* There has only ever been 1-3 BD Problem discs, almost all have been HD-DVDs.
* It's important to make a distinction on how the two Samsung/LG lists are maintained. The Samsung list only contains problem discs reported by more than one user. The LG list contains both problem discs reported by more than one user and only one user.

Regarding the LG BH200, to date there has been only 4 problem discs reported by more than one user. 1 is now fixed (Euro T2), 1 looks to be a result of a faulty batch (French Enemy at the Gates), 1 works for as many people as it doesn't (USA Clerks 2) and only 1 consistently doesn't work for more than 1 user (Babysitters: Adult), which luckily has an equivalent BD, and confirmed working.

1 (3 at most) consistent problem discs "appears" to be much less than the Samsung BS-UP5000 has.

A list of problem discs reported by one user is obviously less accurate, due to not knowing why it didn't work for that particular reason, they could've picked up a dodgy disc/batch for all we know.

Please don't take this as definitive, as of course the problem discs reported by only one user maybe just because no one else who posts on AVS Forum has tried it, but as we can only base our opinion on what is in the lists I'd say the LG BH200 has less disc problems.

We don't know how big the Samsung "problem discs reported by only one user" list would be, as there isn't one .
post #7 of 42
Some of the problem discs in the 5000 thread are down to more systemic problems (audio dropouts, video flickering) and don't actually impede playback of the movies.
post #8 of 42
Cheers Vinnie. I've chosen not to include audio drop outs on the LG BH200 because like you say they're systemic (to the design) of these players and aren't always reproducible.
post #9 of 42
I'm starting to look at combo players myself and have basically the same question.

I have an "old" HDTV that isn't going to be replaced anytime soon that does not have either HDMI or DVI so component is the way for me. I don't care about upconverting so that hasn't been an issue and my TV is working fine.

This leads me to not want to mess with my audio receiver either since I've not heard many success stories with using HDMI to an audio receiver for the enhanced audio but component to the HDTV for video.. it seems like it is all HDMI or nothing.

So.. I plan on keeping my Sony STR-895 audio receiver until such point as I replace my HDTV with one that has HDMI.

I have digital (TOSLink and COAX) and also analog inputs available on the receiver. This receiver does 6.1 sound (Dolby 5.1 EX or 6.1, DTS 6.1 ES) so I can't do the full 7.1 of course... but still that makes the Samsung unit attractive to me since I could get 6.1 instead of the downmixed 5.1 I get now from my HD-DVD player.

That said... if there were major playback issues with the Samsung, I could sacrifice the 6.1 sound for more reliability.

The key to me is making sure the players (LG or Samsung) do all the audio decoding for the enhanced sound like TrueHD that my audio receiver obviously could not decode itself.

At the moment it even looks like the Samsung can be had for slightly less than the LG, but I haven't done extensive price-checking just yet... so if Samsung is cheaper + more audio options for my setup and doesn't have major playback issues, would that be best for me?
post #10 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

The key to me is making sure the players (LG or Samsung) do all the audio decoding for the enhanced sound like TrueHD that my audio receiver obviously could not decode itself.

As you want Analogue outputs, you've answered your own question with this sentence. They both on-board decode the same but the LG relies on HDMI only.

In terms of general problems and disc problems they look about equal IMO. I went for the LG due to all it's hacking capabilities (and at the time Samsung's Firmware 1.3 wasn't out) but if those don't interest you. I'd get the Samsung.

In case you didn't know the LG can be made SD DVD Region Free, PAL enabled and the ability to switch between BD regions.
post #11 of 42
id go with the LG cause it doesnt have as many issues playing HD discs as the sammy does. what i like better about the sammy is that it has that special video card but thats only useful when upconverting standard dvds
post #12 of 42
I haven't had any issues playing any discs on both my 5k and BH200 at all. THe only issue is german import of T2 in interactive mode. 5k plays it but all the overlays are messed up. The BH200 won't even load skynet for interactive mode. But other wise, my 5k has played i, robot, and sunshine (previously problem discs) with no problems and also play all the HD DVDs I have.
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

id go with the LG cause it doesnt have as many issues playing HD discs as the sammy does

Please stop perpetuating this unfounded claim.
post #14 of 42
Thread Starter 
I ended up purchasing the UP5000 for $399 CAN. The Futureshop store I got it from also had the BH200, but was selling it for $499 CAN. I figured that the analog outs were worth it.

I haven't had a chance to play all my discs yet (117 HD-DVD's, 64 Blu-ray....plus 607 SD DVD's), but so far the Sammy has played every single disc I've thrown at it without a single hitch. So far I am quite pleased with my purchase, though I am sure I would have been just as pleased with the LG.

EDIT: I should also add that I have no regrets whatsoever in selling my 40GB PS3 in order to buy this player. I find that even on my 720p Sanyo Z4, I see a distinct improvement in PQ in Blu-ray, and the Sammy's upconversion capabilities are decidedly superior as well. I should also add that HD-DVD playbac is an improvement over both my XBOX 360 addon and my A3 as well. Add to this the fact that I can control all my devices with my Harmony 520 once again! (why no IR on the PS3.....why??)
post #15 of 42
I am very happy with my LG. One thing in its favor is speed. It is much faster than any of the standalones I tested. I bought mine for Blu Ray and region free DVD. However, recently I also bought several HD DVD which were really cheap

I feel the LG is the best bang for the buck purely as a standalone BLu Ray/DVD player. IF one intends to go optical, then the LG is a no brainer in my opinion. The DTS reencode sounds excellent.

The Samsung does have the analog outs.
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

(why no IR on the PS3.....why??)

Because the PS3 is meant to be game console first, and blu-ray player second.
post #17 of 42
The Sammy seems to be better for connectivity.

I bought a BH 200 back when the price was $699.00 with two free discs (3:10 to Yuma and The Kingdom) before the HD-DVD meltdown. Ohh, well.

I tried connecting the BH 200 to my old Panny L500U projector (DVI HDCP compatible). No go, would not provide a picture.

Connecting it to a Sanyo VIZIO tube style HDTV through straight HDMI also resulted in picture problems and no sound. Frustrating.

However, I do have a newer projector (Epson Pro 1080) that connects perfectly and directly to the LG. No problems with picture. Sound is done through the optical to a Pioneer Elite 74

Now that the Sammy came down to $399.00 new, I picked up one of those. Connects perfectly to the panny projector - no problems at all.

I think both are great for both picture and sound. Connectivity was a problem with me with the LG lacking.
post #18 of 42
Are you sure LG BH200 isn't faulty or you had it on the wrong setting?
post #19 of 42
Bradavon:

Thank you. BTW I have enjoyed the work you have done and all the postings for the BH200

I have tried two separate BH200's with the same result. Two faulty units? Perhaps.

An incorrect setting? Well I did not think that was possible with a straight HDMI connection. Or an HDMI to DVI (the L500). The video is default (QDEO). Audio is set to pass through. Thought the settings were all ok
post #20 of 42
No worries. Glad I can try and help.

I doubt two units would be faulty. I was just wondering if the HDMI handshaking was working properly (i.e - Auto setting for resolution) but I'm guessing you've tried setting it to the correct resolution manually.

To clarify, the LG BH200 doesn't work period for you?
post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Please stop perpetuating this unfounded claim.

for your info its a true claim unless customers are lying about it. which i doubt they would post a review on the net if it wasnt true
post #22 of 42
The BH200 works well connected directly by HDMI to a fairly new Epson PRO 1080 projector. I never had a problem there. Phenomenal picture. I feed the sound through optical to a Pioneer Elite 74. This is an older receiver that does not have the HD sound codecs. However, no sound problems using DTS re-encode on some discs.

It will not connecrt with a Panasonic l500u projector (DVI and HDCP compatible). I just checked the manual and it does note that some DVI with HDCP connections will not work. So there you go.

The Sanyo Vizio tube HDTV TV (HDMI) I use did give an occaisonal picture not no picture - correct my previous post (which made the TV input selection problematic), but no sound through HDMI. With my look at the manual again, perhaps that sound problem could be sampling frequency. I will check that.
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

for your info its a true claim unless customers are lying about it. which i doubt they would post a review on the net if it wasnt true

I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact I don't even know what you're talking about.
But, you gotta get your logic in check. Just because someone writes it or says it doesn't make it true. period.


I'm the greatest guy in the world and everyone loves me! Everyone should give me $1.
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I'm not saying you are wrong, in fact I don't even know what you're talking about.
But, you gotta get your logic in check. Just because someone writes it or says it doesn't make it true. period.


I'm the greatest guy in the world and everyone loves me! Everyone should give me $1.

wasnt just one review i looked at circuit city best buy and afew other store reviews about the UP500 and lots of folks posted about issues with HD discs. didnt see as many LG reviews where people having issues with there HD discs as the sammy does
post #25 of 42
windsorite, I've had HDCP (or related issues) with supposed HDCP enabled DVI connections (pio elite). One trick that I've done to rule out HDCP is to put a home authored DVD (non-copy protected) into the player. If that doesn't play you know there's a problem with the player and the TV that is not HDCP related. The other trick is to kick the resolution down to 480i and play, 480i should not use any HDCP method on the HDMI connection.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

wasnt just one review i looked at circuit city best buy and afew other store reviews about the UP500 and lots of folks posted about issues with HD discs. didnt see as many LG reviews where people having issues with there HD discs as the sammy does

Personally, I don't post reviews (even if it's the greatest product in the world), simply because I'd rather spend my time enjoying the movies than to write a review on it. But if something pissed me off really badly, I'd write my review all over the web. Sometimes, I'm still lazy too. A couple of reviews doesnt' fully represent the whole population I guess. Depends on if someone got a lemon or not. So far, both my 5k and bh200 played awesome and I have no complaints for either. I scratch my head at times when people are experiencing issues that I cannot duplicate.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobff View Post

Personally, I don't post reviews (even if it's the greatest product in the world), simply because I'd rather spend my time enjoying the movies than to write a review on it. But if something pissed me off really badly, I'd write my review all over the web. Sometimes, I'm still lazy too. A couple of reviews doesnt' fully represent the whole population I guess. Depends on if someone got a lemon or not. So far, both my 5k and bh200 played awesome and I have no complaints for either. I scratch my head at times when people are experiencing issues that I cannot duplicate.

i dont post them either but i enjoy reading them if its something im looking forward to buying. i always look at game reviews as well before i buy them
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

wasnt just one review i looked at circuit city best buy and afew other store reviews about the UP500 and lots of folks posted about issues with HD discs. didnt see as many LG reviews where people having issues with there HD discs as the sammy does


I have both players and have had no problems playing hd dvds on the samsung. In fact, Ive had no problems playing any discs red or blue on either player.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post

I have both players and have had no problems playing hd dvds on the samsung. In fact, Ive had no problems playing any discs red or blue on either player.

but if you had to compare the 2 which one do you like better ?
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

but if you had to compare the 2 which one do you like better ?

Id give a slight edge to the samsung. I like the picture just a little bit better, mainly on standard dvd playback.

Its worth noting I dont import anything or I think the LG would get the nod.

And not that this would matter to anyone else, but I like the way the samsung player looks, little sleeker to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dual Format Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Dual Format Players › Between the BH200 & UP5000...which is best for my setup