or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › DigitalStream DTX9950
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DigitalStream DTX9950 - Page 6

post #151 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualOTAer View Post

Just curious... do you have a outside fringe area antenna at the hunting camp? Are the stations you get there only from one market (direction)?
Do you use a mast mounted pre-amplifier there?

I own a 9900 - more than one, actually. I like that model, but when it's on an outdoor antenna with good line of sight to transmitters (40+ miles), the signal strength is great 85-90+. When I use it with a indoor antenna with buildings and other obstacles, it is hard to get above 50 with transmitters less than 25 miles away.

We have a circular, omni-directional antenna on the top of the trailer that should seek signals from all directions. However, the stations are just too far away and we really need to get a deep fringe antenna and get it up as far as we can. Even then, antennaweb.com only lists a few channels for our area. I was just hoping a digital signal might be a bit stronger and that the DigitalStream's tuner was sensitive. Just have to wait and see I guess.
post #152 of 313
The Channel Master CM7000 I have now picks up decidedly better than the Zenith DTT-900 I had (with an LG tuner, not Sanyo).

Haven't tried the DTT-901, though.
post #153 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

We have a circular, omni-directional antenna on the top of the trailer that should seek signals from all directions. However, the stations are just too far away and we really need to get a deep fringe antenna and get it up as far as we can. Even then, antennaweb.com only lists a few channels for our area. I was just hoping a digital signal might be a bit stronger and that the DigitalStream's tuner was sensitive. Just have to wait and see I guess.

At least when talking about the DS DTX-9900, the tuner is good, but not many have rated it as the very best.

Be sure to check to see if any of your target stations will be on hi-vhf after the transition. If not, or if you can live without the one or two that will be, you'd have the option of going with a UHF-only fringe antenna.

Standard wisdom says that a low-noise mast-mounted preamp may help a lot.
Amplify the weak signals before they get attenuated in the coax, you know.

Depending on local terrain, trees, and other signal disrupters, you might get an improvement by just raising your omni antenna by 10ft or more. Might be the cheapest starting point. See it it makes a noticible difference on analog reception...

FWIW, I'm toying with using my last coupon on the Artec CECB that takes 12V in. That might be of interest at your camp, if your AC power is unreliable and you have a DC powered TV you could fall back on to use it with.
post #154 of 313
Thanks for that tip. I did not know any of these things took 12v. I'll have to look into that (sometimes our generator runs out of gas at the worst time!
post #155 of 313
Quote:


WeThePeople Post #70
That is an exceptionally important task. I used to install those and wondered what would happen to all those people. I'll forward that info to the housing units I installed Mutli-MATV systems in.

It's going to depend on how the MATV system handles the signals. If it just picks the signal up off the air, amplifies it and distributes it to each viewer then no problem as this would be like picking the signal up with any antenna. The problem comes when the MATV system converts the signal from one channel to another- like many MATVs systems convert UHF signals down to the VHF band because easier to distribute lower frequencies- especially on older systems. If they do this by hetrodyning there will be no problem- because the basic nature of the ATSC signal will be unchanged. But in many cases they will receive the UHF, convert it to baseband video/audio and then remodulate it on a VHF channel. In this case the output will be NTSC- since very few MATV systems are going to install expensive ATSC modulators which use the 8VSB modulation system. As it is- they will have to change their receivers to ATSC receivers to receive the signal but ATSC receivers are much cheaper than ATSC modulators. People watching on old TVs or newer TVs with both digital and analog tuners will have no problem but people using DTV converters without pass-through will not be able to get the signals that are remodulated to NTSC without doing things like I outlined in a previous post. In any case a remodulated NTSC signal will appear as a standard definition 480I picture even on a Hi-Def TV.
post #156 of 313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

We have a circular, omni-directional antenna on the top of the trailer that should seek signals from all directions. However, the stations are just too far away and we really need to get a deep fringe antenna and get it up as far as we can. Even then, antennaweb.com only lists a few channels for our area. I was just hoping a digital signal might be a bit stronger and that the DigitalStream's tuner was sensitive. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Here in Los Angeles, I spoke with a man who got a 9900 for his camper/trailer/RV and said it worked great. However, having to guess I would say you won't be happy with any digital converter box at your camp location unless you improve your antenna system. Analog is better than digital in weak signal locations because you may have enough of a signal to watch the channel w/ snow. Where digital is hit or miss, the weak signal will cut in and out many times or cut out for long periods of time making viewing impossible.
post #157 of 313
Thread Starter 
I don't know how long Radio Shacks warranty is but don't expect help from Digital Stream. After a couple of weeks they replied to my email with an incorrect response and my response to that has not seen a response for a month. I should try the phone number before the warranty is up! LOL
post #158 of 313
$5.99 = 1 Year in-store replacement plan for R.S.
post #159 of 313
I use a rabbit ear antenna. How can I increase my signal strength? Why is it that I get a signal of 80 one second and the next it drops to low 20's and I get no clear picture?? Why would it fluctuate so much?

Thanks.
post #160 of 313
Check the antenna connector, the little wire in the middle may not be pushed all the way out. Mine was like that when I moved the antenna connector from my VCR to the box. I use an antenna in my attic and the signal strength also varys somewhat. Some stations go from 51 to 55, others from 71 to 75, but all the stations are very clear or nothing at all {No Signal box in the middle of the screen} Search this site and tvfool for comments about antennas and multi-path and look at tvfool to see what direction to point your antenna to get your stations with a cheap compass, and make sure all those connections are steady
post #161 of 313
Using a Panasonic DVR, I've been able to:
Reset its channels to the "Digital 3"
Set the dtx9950 to a digital channel
Record a pgm from the set channel
But I'm stuck with the one channel

Thanks in advance.
post #162 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

Thanks for that tip. I did not know any of these things took 12v. I'll have to look into that (sometimes our generator runs out of gas at the worst time!


I have both the DTX9950 and the DTX9900.

I hooked up the DTX9950 to a 1500 watt 12volt to 1500 watt 120vac inverter. That is plugged in to one of those automobile battery booster packs sold at WalMart and auto parts stores.

I also have both an old Apex 5 inch LCD dvd player and a 2.5 inch Casio portable TV. The Apex DVD player has a 12 volt cigarette lighter car cord and powers directly from the battery pack.

Aluto I have a large high powered amplified antenna, I hooked up a Zenith Silver Sensor to the DTX9900.

The system works great. I can pull in more than half of the channels with the Silver Sensor.

I would use the 9900 rather than the 9950, because the heat of the tuner of the 9950 would likely indicate a higher current drain.

The battery pack is plugged in to a standard 120vac outlet. Ever 6 months or so, I would turn on the charger to make sure that the battery pack to top off the charge.

They make one of two 12 volt capable converter boxes, but they seem to be hard to get, expensive or iffy in performance.
post #163 of 313
I just received this box today in the mail. After 4 hours it does not get hot. I am disappointed with the closed captioning. Trying all the options, the captions are much too small, even on largest setting. This box is passing along the analog cc data to the TV. On my 20" Emerson, the analog captions are about twice as big as the digital. The RS is the fourth box I have used and this problem only exists on the DTX 9950. I am considering returning this box. However, because of the good EPG, someone might want to trade this for one of their coupons.
post #164 of 313
Just a quick note:

I am trying-out a borrowed early Digital Stream (don't have box, and no model number on the unit itself) prior to making a purchase, to get a general idea of what my reception, etc. will be like. This unit runs hot, for sure. Don't have a way to measure the temp, but this box is flat on the sides, so I set it on its end on a shelf near my tv and it's running noticeably cooler. This box, btw, is plastic case with vent holes in the top, none on the bottom.

So heat apparently has been an issue for quite a while - though I'm glad to hear some reports of cooler-running boxes.
post #165 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaTrina View Post

Just a quick note:

I am trying-out a borrowed early Digital Stream (don't have box, and no model number on the unit itself) prior to making a purchase, to get a general idea of what my reception, etc. will be like. This unit runs hot, for sure. Don't have a way to measure the temp, but this box is flat on the sides, so I set it on its end on a shelf near my tv and it's running noticeably cooler. This box, btw, is plastic case with vent holes in the top, none on the bottom.

So heat apparently has been an issue for quite a while - though I'm glad to hear some reports of cooler-running boxes.

That is one of the reasons I like my cool running Zenith DTT901!
post #166 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaTrina View Post

Just a quick note:

I am trying-out a borrowed early Digital Stream (don't have box, and no model number on the unit itself) prior to making a purchase, to get a general idea of what my reception, etc. will be like. This unit runs hot, for sure. Don't have a way to measure the temp, but this box is flat on the sides, so I set it on its end on a shelf near my tv and it's running noticeably cooler. This box, btw, is plastic case with vent holes in the top, none on the bottom.

So heat apparently has been an issue for quite a while - though I'm glad to hear some reports of cooler-running boxes.

If you're completely satisfied with the DS box, then ignore this, but if you're interested in even better picture quality, go with the Zenith or Channel Master CM-7000. The CM also has a guide as good as or better than the DS.
post #167 of 313
I've been comparing the tuner with the tuner on my Samsung HLT6756 rear projector and while they are similar in sensitivity, I believe the 9950 is slightly less prone to dropouts.

This unit is not running hot; the surface is never more than warm to the touch and I've only measured 106F at the highest (using an IR thermometer).

I like the EPG on the 9950 way better than the Samsung.
post #168 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpan View Post

Using a Panasonic DVR, I've been able to:
Reset its channels to the "Digital 3"
Set the dtx9950 to a digital channel
Record a pgm from the set channel
But I'm stuck with the one channel

Thanks in advance.

cecbs only convert one channel at a time....sorry
post #169 of 313
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

I've been comparing the tuner with the tuner on my Samsung HLT6756 rear projector and while they are similar in sensitivity, I believe the 9950 is slightly less prone to dropouts.

This unit is not running hot; the surface is never more than warm to the touch and I've only measured 106F at the highest (using an IR thermometer).

I like the EPG on the 9950 way better than the Samsung.

Readers here will just confuse 106F as HOT and this thread will get another 50 complaints about owners unit running hot. Even though your internal body temperature is 98F. Outdoors, 90F and in direct sunlight, black top can be measured at 140F.
post #170 of 313
JBestor,

Speaking as one whom has had to return a 9950 after it lit on fire...I assure you some of them DO have a problem!

I have a newer replacement 9950 that I am waiting to trade back to R.S. for a Zenith 901 shortly, and it behaves much better. But the early units ARE prone to failure from heat. So don't scoff them.

Cocobeli,

Let it run three or four hours and point that IR at the actual R.F. tuner jacks on the back and take a reading. You might have a bad one.

Mine is surprisingly warm, but not uncomfortable to touch I can keep holding the F-Connector.
On the old one it almost hurt to touch the antenna plugs...
post #171 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinaTrina View Post

Just a quick note:

I am trying-out a borrowed early Digital Stream (don't have box, and no model number on the unit itself) prior to making a purchase, to get a general idea of what my reception, etc. will be like. This unit runs hot, for sure. Don't have a way to measure the temp, but this box is flat on the sides, so I set it on its end on a shelf near my tv and it's running noticeably cooler. This box, btw, is plastic case with vent holes in the top, none on the bottom.

So heat apparently has been an issue for quite a while - though I'm glad to hear some reports of cooler-running boxes.

I've never noticed any heat issues with my older model DS, the DTX9900.
If the borrowed unit's remote control has a button marked A/D, it's the DTX9950. Otherwise, it's the 9900.
post #172 of 313
I have to admit that I never imagined anyone would think 106F was hot; it's definitely not. However, in the spirit of cooling things a bit, I'll it use Celsius and call it 41.1C.

The hottest reading I could find around the tuner jack on the rear was 107 er, 41.7C after 4 hours of operation. Feeling the RF jacks was unremarkable.

In my view, this unit here has no heat issues, but YMMV.
post #173 of 313
No, you've got a good one. It seems that only the very earliest of the 9950's did this. I don't recall any 9900's doing this. Correct me if wrong. And if you own it still, peek for holes in the tuners shield. Small ones for a tuning tool or test point probe. The one that lit up had holes in the tuner can shield, the replacememnt does not.

Like I said in another post, taking off the F-Connector was like unscrewing a light bulb. Short quick bursts of touching it to get it done. The new one without the tuner shield holes only gets "Surprisingly" warm. Like yours..

We consider this warm, but touch a few north/south bridges inside PC's and you'll readjust your idea of "Warm"

Even though I my be the worst victim yet, as of one of these flamed-out on me. I think we can let the heat topic go except for the few early adopters of the 9950 series.
post #174 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThePeople View Post

No, you've got a good one. It seems that only the very earliest of the 9950's did this. I don't recall any 9900's doing this. Correct me if wrong. And if you own it still, peek for holes in the tuners shield. Small ones for a tuning tool or test point probe. The one that lit up had holes in the tuner can shield, the replacememnt does not.

Like I said in another post, taking off the F-Connector was like unscrewing a light bulb. Short quick bursts of touching it to get it done. The new one without the tuner shield holes only gets "Surprisingly" warm. Like yours..

We consider this warm, but touch a few north/south bridges inside PC's and you'll readjust your idea of "Warm"

Even though I my be the worst victim yet, as of one of these flamed-out on me. I think we can let the heat topic go except for the few early adopters of the 9950 series.


Just curious......

Did you contact the actual manufacturer ("NHENS", not Radio Shack) regarding the box that "flamed-out"?
I would have thought that a recall would be in order.
This is a very serious issue! Did it literally go up in flames?
Scary!!
post #175 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobeli View Post

I have to admit that I never imagined anyone would think 106F was hot; it's definitely not. However, in the spirit of cooling things a bit, I'll it use Celsius and call it 41.1C.

I like my hot tub at 106F
post #176 of 313
Thread Starter 
WeThePeople, some complaints were on the 9900 as running hot as well.

Anyways, I'm confident I have an early model 9950 seeing as I created this thread one day after the first post on avsforum mentioning the 9950 was out. And I purchased from the first batch my RS got. As well as NHENS Digital, Inc. is located in Whittier, California; a 30 minute drive away where my replacement remote was sent from. But I'll give you some credit, I don't think you intentionally set the box on fire.
post #177 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbestor View Post

But I'll give you some credit, I don't think you intentionally set the box on fire.

You mean it wasn't a 220-VAC appliance? ...

(As bad as it performed that isn't an unfair left-handed suedo-accusation though )
post #178 of 313
I have an Insignia and wanted a 2nd box for the VCR.; one where the remotes did NOT interfere...

So after trying Target [sold out]; Circuit Chitty [Insignias in some other name, but they still responded to my Insignia remote] and first RadiosHack, where the idiot tried to tell me "They won't work until Feb.." and "Of course your remote won't work; they are different manufacturers....." Then the driod figured out they had none anyhow...

The 2nd RS had 9950's and the manager there grasped my remote testing issue. Bought it.

It's smaller than the Insignia. Setup is about the same. No way to set mono output. The cheapskates don't provide a triple LRV composite cable.

Has Volume/Mute. It appears the composite audio has more output level; I feed a set of amplified computer speakers.

Range is not an issue here; my stations are really local or Too Far, not inbetween.

Thus far, mine is not running hot, but I may need to add vents since I want to mount it on end for space reasons.

The BIG news to me is even when it is on, the RF output is pass-through, so I can put the Insignia downstream. [I set the Composite output option.] That way, I need no splitter.

Favorites are about as useless as the other box; basically it's a step through the channels. I use zap2it over onscreen program guides so that's not on my radar.

The TV section of the remote drives my set once it has the correct code.

Not sure about the Zoom issue; still comparing the two boxes.

More later...
post #179 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post


Thus far, mine is not running hot, but I may need to add vents since I want to mount it on end for space reasons.

The BIG news to me is even when it is on, the RF output is pass-through, so I can put the Insignia downstream. [I set the Composite output option.] That way, I need no splitter.

I have the same unit and (after running it constantly for a week) it gets warm but not "hot". I'm curious as to the build date on your unit (perhaps they made some modifications along the way). My unit is a July, 2008 build.

Also, my unit must be off to pass through the analog. The "A/D" button is a duplication of the power button. They both turn the unit on or off. It seems as if that's standard with "pass through" units.
On= digital/Off= analog.
post #180 of 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

I'm curious as to the build date on your unit (perhaps they made some modifications along the way). My unit is a July, 2008 build.

Also, my unit must be off to pass through the analog. The "A/D" button is a duplication of the power button. They both turn the unit on or off. It seems as if that's standard with "pass through" units.
On= digital/Off= analog.


O7AO8; so that sounds like July.

I have my unit on, it passes RF through and out the 2nd F Connector, to my 2nd converter. Do you have Funct>A-V>Preferred Conn {pg 11 of the Fine Manual} set to Line Out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › DigitalStream DTX9950