or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 3520
the xbr4 manual shows these features, but neither the z manual nor the xbr6 manual show them.

do any of you have inside information on whether the new 7's will have these?

distortion or not, these were 2 of the main features that i like in the sony picture.

thanks
post #152 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2160 View Post

the xbr4 manual shows these features, but neither the z manual nor the xbr6 manual show them.

do any of you have inside information on whether the new 7's will have these?

distortion or not, these were 2 of the main features that i like in the sony picture.

thanks

If your asking what features the XBR7 might have you may want to go to the other threads discussing them.
post #153 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

how?? that was my main reason for not purchasing the xbr4 it had to many issues for 3200 bucks

If you didn't purchase it then I am more baffled by your comment that it had a plague. Anyhow, the point is that if the XBR4 is plagued then so are other sets by other manufacturers. Also, if it was plagued then apparently I would be in the significant minority, along with other owners.

Brandon
post #154 of 3520
Soap, I had asked some questions in a previous post but the two primary ones were about the viewing angles and SD broadcast PQ. Any info would be be appreciated since I may be going to the "local" Sonystyle today to get a look at a 40 and 46Z.
post #155 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

If you didn't purchase it then I am more baffled by your comment that it had a plague. Anyhow, the point is that if the XBR4 is plagued then so are other sets by other manufacturers. Also, if it was plagued then apparently I would be in the significant minority, along with other owners.

Brandon

yea whatever man...anything i say gets bashed so whatever
post #156 of 3520
should i get the 40z or 46z i dont wanna miss out on PQ by going with a smaller set
post #157 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post

I couldn't be more happier with the set, I haven't played any games on it as I really don't have any for the PS3. I mainly bought it for Blu-ray and HD content. I have NO regrets with this purchase, I only wish the Z series with it's ultra small bezel had come in a 52inch model.

how come you didnt get teh 650?? cuz of the red??
post #158 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

should i get the 40z or 46z i dont wanna miss out on PQ by going with a smaller set

size matters 46" all the way!
post #159 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Soap, I had asked some questions in a previous post but the two primary ones were about the viewing angles and SD broadcast PQ. Any info would be be appreciated since I may be going to the "local" Sonystyle today to get a look at a 40 and 46Z.

I haven't had any viewing angle issues in my living room where this tv is located in regards to my seating areas. I will check this tonight for you. As for your other question I believe I currently have my tv set to standard as opposed to wide color. I haven't played with this setting alot, but I preferred the standard settings upon initial calibration.
post #160 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

how come you didnt get teh 650?? cuz of the red??

I just have always had Sony tv's and have never had an issues with any of them. I did look at the 650 and 750 but as soon as I saw that stupid Red TOC I stopped looking at them.
post #161 of 3520
my personal opinion after three days is that the 46Z4100 has a slight edge over the XBR4 in almost every area except maybe SD broadcast which I rarely watch and I've no idea about the sound because I haven't listened to TV speakers in the last 15 years
post #162 of 3520
can we get more sparkle tests from owners?
post #163 of 3520
40'' or 46'' is just a question of where you're going to put it. For me it's never going to be viewed from more than about 8 feet away, with most around 6-8 feet so the 40'' was a clear choice for me. Not to mention that the 40'' looks big where i've got it and I can't imagine a 46'' there!

PQ is going to be the same on both sets, the panels are the same technology/specs. I like smaller sets; I hate being able to see pixels if I sit a little close to play a video game.
post #164 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by STILESP113 View Post

yea whatever man...anything i say gets bashed so whatever

Not sure why you're so defensive or feel you're being bashed. You just simply shouldn't believe everything you read. There's misinformation in this very thread. Happens all the time.

Brandon
post #165 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMann357 View Post

my personal opinion after three days is that the 46Z4100 has a slitght edge over the XBR4 in almost every area except maybe SD broadcast which I rarely watch and I've no idea about the sound because I haven't listened to TV speakers in the last 15 years

That's how i felt about it, but I also thought it missed a little sharpness, probably from the detail/edge enhancer missing. They better put that back on the xbr's, or it's on like donkey kong.
post #166 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Green blob, purple haze, sparkles, phosphur trails, mura...all of the different defects of flat panel tvs make for a pretty diverse marijuana selection

Brandon

Come on lets not overdue it as some of those are not indicative of flat panels.

"Green Blob" term was invented on this forum to apply to the SXRD RPTV anamoly during it's first generation set and not a flat panel.

"Phosphor Trails" are more commonly reported on Plasma Flat Panel not LCD.

"Purple Haze" has been shared by many panels both flat and RPTV.

"Sparkles" is a commonly reported event that can be caused by poor quality/defective cable connections and can replicate on any type panel.

And how could you miss the Bands?

Correct though with the terminology seems to take us back to the Hippee Era of Woodstock it seems.

To bad we can't have a Happy Owners thread that isn't muddied with the incessant rants and nitpicks here, cause if they were as bad as reported here you wonder why bother? Some of us actually enjoy the hell out of our panels and aren't here whining - we're enjoying so take the OCD crap here with a grain of salt new members. I can go to owner reviews at Amazon or CC and see 50 owners give a TV 5 star ratings or damn close and then hop over here and see dominating bitch sessions that would make you think the TV were a POS.
post #167 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Come on lets not overdue it as some of those are not indicative of flat panels.

I was purposefully overdoing it to show how obsessive we can be with these issues at times. Seriously, lots of these issues get way overblown in owner's thread and turn into "epidemics" and "plagues" associated with only a certain type of technology or a certain brand of television, when in fact they stretch across multiple brands or multiple technologies. And the sparkles will be next

Quote:


To bad we can't have a Happy Owners thread that isn't muddied with the incessant rants and nitpicks here, cause if they were as bad as reported here you wonder why bother? Some of us actually enjoy the hell out of our panels and aren't here whining - we're enjoying so take the OCD crap here with a grain of salt new members. I can go to owner reviews at Amazon or CC and see 50 owners give a TV 5 star ratings or damn close and then hop over here and see dominating bitch sessions that would make you think the TV were a POS.

I agree with you there. If you read through several owner's threads you'll get the impression that each TV is a POS. The more popular the TV, the bigger a POS it is. That's the point I was trying to make another poster.

Brandon
post #168 of 3520
Electronics forums tend to magnify problems.
post #169 of 3520
Hi
I apologize if this has already been answered, but can someone please tell me if the Z has a swivel-stand? If so, I'd like to start moving around my furniture in anticipation of its delivery
Thanks in advance.
post #170 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoS View Post

Hi
I apologize if this has already been answered, but can someone please tell me if the Z has a swivel-stand? If so, I'd like to start moving around my furniture in anticipation of its delivery
Thanks in advance.

No
post #171 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski510 View Post

Yeah, the game mode has me sold on this set (v4100).
Don't look for the sparkles and you might not ever notice them. I only noticed them after starring at a black screen for several minutes.
This is an awesome some set. An awesome gaming set with game mode on.

I have a feeling that you are looking at the wrong place. I remember having similar sparkles on my CRT when they were working on the building across the street. Usually, they are just strong electromagnetic pulses generated when you turn on or off a big electric device (in my case was the concrete mixer). While you have the power lines filtered you cannot do anything about the electromagnetic waves. I know, that all devices have to be FCC certified before plugged in but do you know how many "technicians" worked on the mixer?

One way to distinguish is to try to establish a pattern - do you have them more often during the day? Or at night? (radio waves travel better at night but most of the human activity is during the day) Do you see them over the weekend? etc.

Just my $2e-02
post #172 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...+dvi&x=19&y=14

The lower the awg number the less chance of sparkles, use 24 as a minimum.

I appreciate the response but they do not sell a 1.3a certified DVI-HDMI cable.
Im not sure there is one at this point.
post #173 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post

I haven't had any viewing angle issues in my living room where this tv is located in regards to my seating areas. I will check this tonight for you. As for your other question I believe I currently have my tv set to standard as opposed to wide color. I haven't played with this setting alot, but I preferred the standard settings upon initial calibration.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Sonystyle store in San Francisco didn't have any Zs yet and the sets that were on display were not well enough adjusted to really show off their abilities (except for a 46v300 with a Blu-ray feed). One bank of sets, a 40W4100, 46XBR4 and a 46XBR5 were being fed by a very poor SD promo DVD. They did put a Blu-ray (House of Flying Daggers) in but the 3-way split and the poor adjustments even made the two XBRs look sub-par, let alone the W4100.
post #174 of 3520
Just got back from Sonystyle store to check out the Z. First of of the "sparkles" are there, have bad news for everyone here. Not as bad on the 40" but very noticable on the 46". And to everyone here that says we should just on with it, please... Some of use are sensitive to these issues and don't want to deal with them after dropping for most of us is a decent amount of coin, not to mention we expect these set to work as delivered. All we hear from manufactures is how great thier crap is, we believe it and buy this stuff, most of us blind ( except for the people lucky enougn to have found this forum ), they should focus more on qc than new features as far as I'm concerned, these forums would be more of wish lists than people bitchin' about about problems. BTW the Z's real nice, not quite as nice as I was hoping for, but that's my opinion.
post #175 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra004e View Post

Just got back from Sonystyle store to check out the Z. First of of the "sparkles" are there, have bad news for everyone here. Not as bad on the 40" but very noticable on the 46".

Sony just lost my 2grand.
post #176 of 3520
I Thought I saw a sparkle on my set for a second, certainly looked like a white pixel or two flashing against a black background, but I've not been able to reproduce it (I was quickly flipping through menu options when i thought I saw it, but I was looking for it) and at least for me so far, it's a non-issue.

I'll keep this forum very up-to-date on my experience with this.
post #177 of 3520
The illusion is that we see directly with our eyes.
We don't see the actual outside world, only a reproduction by the brain.
Be careful what you expect to see--the sparkles may be in your head.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/latinhib.html
post #178 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiLord View Post

The illusion is that we see directly with our eyes.
We don't see the actual outside world, only a reproduction by the brain.
Be careful what you expect to see--the sparkles may be in your head.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/latinhib.html

How could you capture it on film if it was in our head only?

Mosh~~
post #179 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

Sony just lost my 2grand.

So are you moving to the next brand on your list? I guess both Samsung (ToC) and Sony (sparkle) are a no go for you then.
post #180 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Here are my current settings from my initial setup. I really haven't had time to mess with anything much since someone is usually wanting to watch the beautiful television instead of seeing me fooling in the settings menu...

Backlight: 3
Picture: 95
Brightness: 47
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 10
Noise Reduction: Off
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced CE: Off
Gamma: Off
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Standard
Live Color: Off

White Balance: This has changed 3 times so far, and I am not sure which settings I am going to stick with... I will update this once I have time to test my current changes. Currently my son won't let me turn off Noggin...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-XXZ4100 Owner's Thread