or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › So... what PlayStation games are you working through?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So... what PlayStation games are you working through? - Page 16

post #451 of 503
Still stuck with Dead Space 2, again, great game, but I´m too old for terror games eek.gif
post #452 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

Still stuck with Dead Space 2, again, great game, but I´m too old for terror games eek.gif

You know, none of those games really scare me other than the occassional jack in the box type of scare. The Last of Us is the only game that has ever actually made me experience true fear... I owe that to the sound design, Clickers still send a shiver down my spine.
post #453 of 503
The first Dead Space game was one of the few that actually managed to throw a few scares my way (especially the living area with the mummified bodies and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star playing in the background). Going thru that game in a darkened room with a pair of headphones was unsettling. The other games in the series were fun but never really matched that first game in terms of scares as the focus gradually changed towards combat over survival horror (not necessarily a bad thing, but just different).

Last of Us left me completely cold. I never once jumped and about the only scene which surprised me was when Joel wakes up after the prologue and you realize how much time has passed; that was the only interesting little wrinkle. Beyond that, it struck me as a second rate survival adventure with bolted on controls straight out of Uncharted.


I've been playing Killzone: Shadowfall lately. Like the prior games in the series, it is visually beautiful with vistas that are almost photorealistic at times but also kind of boring in terms of gameplay. The Killzone games never really got the pacing right for me and this newest game shares that problem. As such, I end up playing in in spurts - I go for a few hours, lost interest, then don't touch it again for a few days.
post #454 of 503
Second rate ....HA! This guy's obviously drunk.
post #455 of 503
OT, but if you want a scare...

I have played most of the games considered to be 'scary' over the years and Outlast is truly 'jump out of your seat' scary.

Games like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill and Dead Space are weak sauce compared to Outlast.

I guess it is coming to PS4 this year.

Jason
post #456 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Second rate ....HA! This guy's obviously drunk.

Alas, I'm not much of a drinker. I know my opinion is unpopular and way out of the mainstream but that was how the game ended up resonating with me. Maybe it was going into it having read all the glowing reviews and it just not living up to the hype (had the same experience with the Ken Levine Bioshock games) but LoU did nothing for me and I wound up selling it shortly after I beat it. I think part of my problem was that the game came out so late in the PS3's life cycle and, as such, it really didn't offer up anything new. The environments were all detailed but pretty uninteresting (the same old abandoned and delapidated structures I've seen countless times already) and the gameplay just standard, straightfoward fare without any interesting wrinkles to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

OT, but if you want a scare...

I have played most of the games considered to be 'scary' over the years and Outlast is truly 'jump out of your seat' scary.

Games like Fatal Frame, Silent Hill and Dead Space are weak sauce compared to Outlast.

I guess it is coming to PS4 this year.

Jason

Thanks for the heads up; I'll keep an eye out for it though quite honestly I've never been a big fan of survival horror. I think the reason I enjoyed Dead Space so much was that it changed the location to outer space and having always been a sci-fi fan, that environment really worked for me, plus the fact that the first game always struck me as a cross between Alien and John Carpenter's The Thing.



Anyhow, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus has been deeply discounted and for any R&C fans it is definitely worth a look. The game is much shorter than prior entries, largely due to the exclusion of side-activities like space combat or hoverboard racing, but the gameplay is a welcome return to the classic R&C formula with wacky weapons, groan inducing humor, the obligatory arena and some interesting worlds to explore. A nice sendoff for the duo on PS3, especially after the past couple of efforts (All for One, Full Frontal Assault).
Edited by TonyDP - 1/5/14 at 10:27am
post #457 of 503
Trying to finish GTA5 (maybe tonight) and then I'll try to finish Ni No Kuni. But I started (like 30 minutes) AC3 this weekend ... my backlog is crazy tongue.gif
post #458 of 503
Jumped back into Kingdoms of Amalur, after letting it gather dust on the shelf. I had played it a LOT early on in 2013, but never finished it. Man - I forgot how cool it is. And I realized I had 77 hours into it! You definitely get your money's worth with that game. I'm gonna try and finish that this month.

Jr and I are playing through Diablo III. That game is SO full of win - we love it. I have no idea how long it is, but we're like 21st level.

I have Mass Effect 3 waiting in the wings.
post #459 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Alas, I'm not much of a drinker. I know my opinion is unpopular and way out of the mainstream but that was how the game ended up resonating with me. Maybe it was going into it having read all the glowing reviews and it just not living up to the hype (had the same experience with the Ken Levine Bioshock games) but LoU did nothing for me and I wound up selling it shortly after I beat it. I think part of my problem was that the game came out so late in the PS3's life cycle and, as such, it really didn't offer up anything new. The environments were all detailed but pretty uninteresting (the same old abandoned and delapidated structures I've seen countless times already) and the gameplay just standard, straightfoward fare without any interesting wrinkles to it.




That's am opposing view from what most people had ...

TLoU really sucked me in ... I played and finished it three times which is rare for me.
post #460 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Shadows of the Damned was really cool. I liked the level layouts. That said its a really weird game and short. I think other games could learn from it by taking out the needless fluff.
Yeah, I just finished it and I'm kind of torn about it. It had some interesting levels and mechanics, and a really weird sensibility to it, but that weirdness didn't always work. And I found the game to be aggressively unfunny, like a horrible stand-up comic constantly bombing on stage.

I agree that other designers could take away some cool ideas from it, though.

- Jer
post #461 of 503
Finished GTA5 so I'm trying to finish Ni No Kuni and just started AC3 biggrin.gif
post #462 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Yeah, I just finished it and I'm kind of torn about it. It had some interesting levels and mechanics, and a really weird sensibility to it, but that weirdness didn't always work. And I found the game to be aggressively unfunny, like a horrible stand-up comic constantly bombing on stage.

I agree that other designers could take away some cool ideas from it, though.

- Jer

Come on, when he whips out his big boner you didn't laugh? It was a bit odd, like it was made by a foreigner who thinks all comedians are like Andrew Dice Clay.
post #463 of 503
Recently completed:
Tearaway (Vita)
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
Puppeteer

Currently playing:
Metro: Last Light

Up next:
Tomb Raider
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
post #464 of 503

I've been jumping between Grid 2 (really enjoying online play even with the cluster **** which is called the first 3 turns) and just started Dragon's Crown.  Pretty close to finishing Grid 2, not sure if i'm gonna run through Dragon's Crown with every character though...

 

post #465 of 503
Hey Pen, I just tried my first online game today in GRID 2, it was pretty cool. Raced twice, placed 4th and 5th.

How do you "finish" GRID? Is there a final goal we're going for?
post #466 of 503
This is going to get confusing...
post #467 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This is going to get confusing...

My body is ready.
post #468 of 503
Uh Oh... LOL.

Jason
post #469 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

Hey Pen, I just tried my first online game today in GRID 2, it was pretty cool. Raced twice, placed 4th and 5th.

How do you "finish" GRID? Is there a final goal we're going for?

I would consider playing the single player (off line mode) to completion, would be enough to say you've completed the game. The game seems platinumable if you have the time.
post #470 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordxar5 View Post

Come on, when he whips out his big boner you didn't laugh?
No. I might have chuckled if I hadn't already endured 5-6 hours of "boner" and "hot boner" jokes prior to that, but such was not the case.

Finished Lone Survivor recently. Still not sure exactly what I think of that one. Psychological horror by way of an old LucasArts game is an odd combo.

Geez, if I finish up Dynasty Warriors 8 I might be fresh out of excuses to not pick up a PS4...

- Jer
post #471 of 503
Don´t Starve, a very interesting game free for PS4 PS+ subscribers.

It´s been difficult for me surviving more than 11 days, I´m new to this horror survival genre, but still enjoying this game.

Bioshock Infinite, Free PS3 game for PS+ subscribers, I wonder how it took me so long to become +
post #472 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

Don´t Starve, a very interesting game free for PS4 PS+ subscribers.

It´s been difficult for me surviving more than 11 days, I´m new to this horror survival genre, but still enjoying this game.

Bioshock Infinite, Free PS3 game for PS+ subscribers, I wonder how it took me so long to become +

Finding some many great games in PS+.

I also played Don't Starve the last couple of days. Very interesting. Played with my son without knowing anything about it and we were hooked on it for a couple of hours.
So the whole point of the game is to survive more days. No other goal, levels, bosses, etc?
post #473 of 503
Haven't touched my PS3 for a while.. stuck on AC3 and Ni No Kuni.

Slowly finishing The Walking Dead on my Vita so I can get into Uncharted : Golden Abyss next.
post #474 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

You know, none of those games really scare me other than the occassional jack in the box type of scare. The Last of Us is the only game that has ever actually made me experience true fear... I owe that to the sound design, Clickers still send a shiver down my spine.

Forget about Dead Space 2, OUTLAST is the scariest game I´ve ever played, the first BIG scare made me change my underwear eek.gif
post #475 of 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

Forget about Dead Space 2, OUTLAST is the scariest game I´ve ever played, the first BIG scare made me change my underwear eek.gif

Two choices :

- The game is VERY scary

or

- You're too old to game if you can't control your bowels tongue.gif
post #476 of 503
I climbed in the window to Mt Massive, then immediately climbed back out and ran to my Jeep. That game is probably not for me.

Just finished Ni no Kuni. No Chance for Platinum too much of a grind.

FFXIII-3 Lightning Returns comes out today. I'll probably get 60 hours of of that, hopefully with a platinum.
post #477 of 503
Just finished Assassin's Creed IV (PS4).

Currently working on:

Outlast (PS4)
Dark Souls II (PS3)
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3)

I'm also dabbling in the higher difficulties for Resogun.

- Jer
post #478 of 503
Thread Starter 
My list hasn't changed much in four months:

Tekken Revolution
I think I'll take a break now, since I maxed out my stats and rankings, and go back to TTT2 until another character I like is released.

Pinball Arcade (PS4)
Love this game to pieces, and am closing in on top 100 leaderboard scores on a table or two.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
I tried MGS3 HD first and hated the controls so much that I quit and watched a playthrough online instead. However I finished PW last night on Hard difficulty and it is a great title!

Killzone: Shadowfall
I took a break from the solo campaign, but will finish it now that I freed up some backlog.

inFamous SS will be started once I finish KZ:SF.
post #479 of 503
I'm finishing up Castlevania LOS 2. I bought Ni No Kuni on the ridiculous sale price a few weeks back, have yet to start it. Also need to finish Killzone SF. And Assassins Creed 4.

My god, I think the lat thing I actually finished was God of War Ascension! Having a toddler kills your game time...especially for non age appropriate titles.
post #480 of 503
Infamous SS: evil play through and the platinum.

Southpark: Stick of Truth: just started, going back after SS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › So... what PlayStation games are you working through?