or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide - Page 110

post #3271 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

3271 posts to hear that rabbit ears are great!

I tried a clearstream 2 but it couldn't overcome aluminum siding in my apartment complex. Can any indoor antenna overcome that or do you just have to go outside in such a situation?

I'm back to DirecTV but sometimes I do miss subchannels that I don't get anymore and sometimes OTA HD is better than what satellite provides.

Did you try any other antennas prior to the CS2? I have tried a DB2e in one room where it was laughable for reception. A Leaf or a HDBlade/Flatwave far outperforms it. To be fair to the DB2e, it is far superior in another room in receiving signals from stations farther away.
post #3272 of 3314

Hello,

This is my TVFool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae3974088c8b

I thinking about getting a Mohu Leaf Antenna, does that seem like it would work ok? Or are there better recommendations?

Also, i'm on the top floor of a three apartment building, so maybe that will help with my reception too?

Thanks so much!!

post #3273 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by popuvamp View Post

Hello,
This is my TVFool Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae3974088c8b
I thinking about getting a Mohu Leaf Antenna, does that seem like it would work ok? Or are there better recommendations?
Also, i'm on the top floor of a three apartment building, so maybe that will help with my reception too?
Thanks so much!!

What will work indoors is impossible to predict. Consumer Reports had a story about indoor antennas recently. They tested with different people in different locations all around NYC. They observed that an antenna that works well in one location performs poorly elsewhere. The antenna is not the only factor that determines reception quality. So, buy from a vendor that allows returns. Signal levels at your location are certainly strong enough for the Leaf to work. It's the other factors that are impossible to predict. Good Luck.
post #3274 of 3314

I read an earlier post that I need to have three under my belt before I can include my Tvfool link  .. so here goes ... #1

post #3275 of 3314

... #2

post #3276 of 3314

.. and #3

post #3277 of 3314

Please help ...    I've read and researched myself to total confusion ....     

 

I am open to rooftop, indoor, or a combination. I am at the point of frustration where I just need some solid answers/advice as to what I should do  .. and this seems to be the place to find people with the experience and expertise to guide me in the right direction ....

 

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aec6c70406be

 

 

.. Thank you


Edited by MrBill303 - 12/15/13 at 4:32pm
post #3278 of 3314
Pretty much ANYTHING Cheap and NON-Amplified will work Indoors, given your TVFool Report, which indicates over 50 dB of Net Margin (NM) for all Digital stations in the Green Zone....which might be reduced by as much as 20 dB due to the Indoor location, leaving lots of margin in reserve. But, make sure you can return any antenna you buy in case you need to upgrade.

Generic Rabbit-Ears/Loop ($10-20) and more directional Terk HDTVi ($26, includes Rabbit-Ears) provide the biggest bang for the buck. You should also look at the list in Post #1 in this tread for EV's Favorites. [Each Rabbit Ear should be set at 14.5-in length....so they are fairly unobtrusive.]

Higher cost Mohu Leaf, RCA Flat Panels (and other similar antennas) are primarily UHF Antennas, but with your very high signal levels on Ch7 & Ch9 [NM=70+ dB] "should" work just fine....and don't have the ugly Rabbit-Ears to deal with.
Edited by holl_ands - 12/16/13 at 1:33pm
post #3279 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill303 View Post

Please help ...    I've read and researched myself to total confusion ....    I am open to rooftop, indoor, or a combination. I am at the point of frustration where I just need some solid answers/advice as to what I should do  .. and this seems to be the place to find people with the experience and expertise to guide me in the right direction ....http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aec6c70406be.. Thank you
Your TV Fool report indicates your antenna will be 25 feet above adjacent ground level - by definition NOT an indoor antenna. Maybe you should run your TV Fool report again without adding in a height factor. At 25 feet above ground, your reception results look very good but (as is all too often the case) transmitters are in different directions.
post #3280 of 3314
Just look out a west-facing window. Can you see the main tower on Lookout Mountain? If not, why not?

If you're "frustrated", you're surely doing something wrong...
post #3281 of 3314
Anyone out there currently using a Philips or Zenith Silver Sensor (a highly directional design licensed from UK antenna designer Antiference)? I am using one on a television in our kitchen with fairly good results, although my local area has three high-VHF transmitters and the Silver Sensor is essentially a UHF-tuned design. The biggest drawback to the Silver Sensor, and similar products such as the Terk HDTV-a and HDTV-i, is that when transmitters are in different directions, you may need to rotate the antenna.
post #3282 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Your TV Fool report indicates your antenna will be 25 feet above adjacent ground level - by definition NOT an indoor antenna. Maybe you should run your TV Fool report again without adding in a height factor. At 25 feet above ground, your reception results look very good but (as is all too often the case) transmitters are in different directions.
Antenna could be at 25-ft if upper floor (or attic) of a 2 story house.....or condo/apt....

Per TVFool Report (click on individual station report) all digital stations from 283-deg in the Green Zone are LOS and look DOWN on OP's location [note that Angle is Greatly Exaggerated]. So antenna height is only going to affect reception of 1EDGE KRMA-DT (PBS) from that direction. The 1EDGE reception is due to a mountain ridge located just N-W (Errata: not N-E) of KRMA's transmitter and their use of a fairly short stick (I downloaded TX Icons into GoogleEarth)....so PBS might be the most difficult station to watch. Stations from 29-deg might not require re-orienting the antenna if you can find a "sweet spot" for reception from both directions.
Edited by holl_ands - 12/17/13 at 1:57pm
post #3283 of 3314

I look directly at the towers on LOM from ground level. My house is on a hillside so roof level is nearly the same as a two story. I have a 5 foot mast at one corner that I mounted a Phillips SDV8622T/27 onto, with very disappointing results ...

 

Technically, I do look 'up' at the towers  ... maybe 10/15 degrees ..

 

My 'control subject' per say is a small flat screen upstairs that sits in the corner of two exterior walls. That corner pretty much points right at LOM ..

I have a stupid push-on coax cap thing with a 3 foot piece of coated wire hanging off it. I think it came with a vcr or something from back whenever .....  Just that wire on that little Visio I get nearly every channel in the green, plus some other random unlisted channels ..

But down in my basement living room the reception is difficult. The tv is positioned in the opposite corner of the lowest part of the house from the direction facing LOM.

 

I've tried a couple of different indoor antennas downstairs ... 2 different flat panel brands from Best Buy, first was non amplified (did ok), the second was amplified (did no better)  .. tried one from Walmart .. it actually worked just as good as the pricier ones from BB, but was half the price .....  but they all seemed to each pick up different stuff too .. which is frustrating ..

 

Each time I've tried a different antenna, I've come down in price. Believe it or not, the $14 Phillips I have now from Micro Center is no worse than the $160 amp'd unit from BB  ....

 

What has me more confused is the Phillips did worse when I mounted it outside on the mast ..

 

From its mounted position on the mast it is about a 25/30 foot run to a 3-way splitter located in my attic. I mounted the pre-amp to the IN port side of the splitter. From the attic splitter to the tv downstairs it's probably another 30 feet of coax ..

 

One thing I have noticed when using an indoor antenna (and this occurred with them all), is that movement in the room plays a huge factor. Just walking through the room can interfere with the signal  ....

 

Since I've already built a mast and ran the feed into my attic, I lean more towards setting up an outdoor rig  ......  but, if setting up in the attic and shooting through an asphalt roof deems better, then so be it ....

 

Being so close to LOM and the elevation advantage it has over me, it almost seems as though it's a more precise target. So much so that if I wanted to target any other tower directions, I almost can't 'split the difference' and still have reception with a single antenna ....

post #3284 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Anyone out there currently using a Philips or Zenith Silver Sensor (a highly directional design licensed from UK antenna designer Antiference)? I am using one on a television in our kitchen with fairly good results, although my local area has three high-VHF transmitters and the Silver Sensor is essentially a UHF-tuned design. The biggest drawback to the Silver Sensor, and similar products such as the Terk HDTV-a and HDTV-i, is that when transmitters are in different directions, you may need to rotate the antenna.

I still have one Silver Sensor in service here. I'm using it for a couple of UHF channels now. It did work for my 2 VHF stations, but only in a room with a correct facing window. Thanks to multipath, I have had to rotate and move every antenna I have used here for the Walnut Grove towers.
post #3285 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill303 View Post

I look directly at the towers on LOM from ground level. My house is on a hillside so roof level is nearly the same as a two story. I have a 5 foot mast at one corner that I mounted a Phillips SDV8622T/27 onto, with very disappointing results ... Technically, I do look 'up' at the towers  ... maybe 10/15 degrees ..
I'm puzzled at your situation, it sounds like you have done far more than most folks to get acceptable reception. While due to your hilly environs you may want an outdoor antenna, signal levels are extremely strong - perhaps an attentuator is needed. There are 14 transmitting stations a mere 3 miles away, at azimuth between 281 and 287 degrees.

I did have an odd question: at your location, TV Fool shows three LP analog NTSC stations (6, 36 and 45). What is picture quality like on those analog stations? Come to think of it, I wonder if the presence of those 3 very strong analog transmitters is compounding your difficulties in receiving digital channels at RF7 (KMGH - ABC) and RF 35 (KCNC - CBS)?

As for an indoor antenna to service your downstairs TVs - you are right that a big problem using an indoor antenna is that reception can be affected by people walking around the house, as well as pedestrians walking outside the house or vehicles traveling adjacent to your house. Similarly, outdoor antennas are disproportionately affected when there is a helicopter flying in the general vicinity (much more problematic than it was during the analog NTSC broadcast era). Maybe you should try using an old Philips or Zenith Silver Sensor, or the modern equivalent Terk HDTV-i, non-amplified directional antennas which you could point directly at the transmitters in the direction of 281 to 287 degrees. These directional antennas will sharply reduce multipath problems. Good luck!
post #3286 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post



I'm puzzled at your situation, it sounds like you have done far more than most folks to get acceptable reception. While due to your hilly environs you may want an outdoor antenna, signal levels are extremely strong - perhaps an attentuator is needed. There are 14 transmitting stations a mere 3 miles away, at azimuth between 281 and 287 degrees.
 

 

And so now you know why I am so puzzled, and frustrated, that I can't pick up but a few of the stations from the towers that I can literally look out my window up at just a couple of miles away. I have ZERO obstruction  ...  I could probably use a laser pointer to aim my antenna it's so close ...........  (ok, that was a joke) .. but it is like, just right there (yes, I am pointing!) ..

 

I live on a hillside that faces north. The Lookout Mountains towers are just slightly north of due west of me (about 9:15) and slightly higher in elevation ... maybe a few hundred feet, plus the tower height. There are 3 towers spaced maybe a couple hundred yards apart (at the most) apart from each other (that's why I have 3 consecutive azimuths right together .. I am THAT close). There's a pretty deep valley in between  .. so I have clear shot LOS at the towers.

 

As well as wanting to hit the towers at 283, 286 and 287 degrees, I want to pick up signals from the couple of stations on the tower at 335 degrees, the grouping to the north at about 359/360, as well as a couple of the stations to the east around 71 and 100 degrees ..

335 could be LOS (I'll have to look). To the north is 1 Edge, looking across the top of a messa that is just about my elevation. To the east is obstructed by a tree or maybe two before it peels off down in elevation as you travel out ...

post #3287 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

I did have an odd question: at your location, TV Fool shows three LP analog NTSC stations (6, 36 and 45). What is picture quality like on those analog stations? Come to think of it, I wonder if the presence of those 3 very strong analog transmitters is compounding your difficulties in receiving digital channels at RF7 (KMGH - ABC) and RF 35 (KCNC - CBS)?
 

 

Instead of these channels coming in as blank digital blue screen, these channels are old school scrambled snow ......   The first time I saw it, it was sorta neat. I don't think I've seen snow channel since I was a kid and you used to have to turn the dial through endless clicks of that god awful blasting hisssss ..

 

36 is the only one that picked on a scan .. but it's just snow ...

post #3288 of 3314
Your tuner is probably being overloaded by the strong signals....esp if you have a Preamp or Distribution Amp in your system. I would recommend bypassing Distro Amp (if used) and also inserting a Variable RF Attenuator and slowly insert more attenuation until you get good reception.
post #3289 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill303 View Post

And so now you know why I am so puzzled, and frustrated, that I can't pick up but a few of the stations from the towers that I can literally look out my window up at just a couple of miles away. I have ZERO obstruction  ...  I could probably use a laser pointer to aim my antenna it's so close ...........  (ok, that was a joke) .. but it is like, just right there (yes, I am pointing!) ..
I'm not being facetious with this suggestion, but: have you actually tried using a humble paper clip as the "antenna"? In situations like yours where there is overwhelmingly powerful signal strength, that might actually work, other than for RF channel 7 which might require standard rabbit ears.
post #3290 of 3314
They sell an HD Blade MINI now. It's designed for metropolitan areas with nearby towers. I'm not the only one who thinks smaller can be better. It comes with an attached 15' cable. It would be easier to shield if that were a plan of action. Hills or mountains make me immediately think multipath. A flat antenna can be made more directional by laying it down flat.
post #3291 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

They sell an HD Blade MINI now. It's designed for metropolitan areas with nearby towers. I'm not the only one who thinks smaller can be better. It comes with an attached 15' cable. It would be easier to shield if that were a plan of action. Hills or mountains make me immediately think multipath. A flat antenna can be made more directional by laying it down flat.
Same as Winegard Flatwave Mini. And there is the Alphaline store brand Mini version at Sears. Same thing.
post #3292 of 3314
This is my tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae20ae1498d6. What is the best antenna for my location in Forest, MS
post #3293 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lewis View Post

This is my tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae20ae1498d6. What is the best antenna for my location in Forest, MS

An indoor antenna is going to get you a PBS and a CW station, but anything else not very likely.
post #3294 of 3314
What would be the best outdoor antenna or attic antenna for my location in Forest, MS
post #3295 of 3314
Here is my TV Fool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aeebe9edef3e

Would a Antenna Direct DB4E antenna help pick up all the channels on the TV Fool report? Please advise ASAP...
post #3296 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

Here is my TV Fool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aeebe9edef3e

Would a Antenna Direct DB4E antenna help pick up all the channels on the TV Fool report? Please advise ASAP...

No, it won't. No antenna will give you ALL of the channels shown on the chart.

Try focusing your request on what you reasonably expect to receive.
post #3297 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

No, it won't. No antenna will give you ALL of the channels shown on the chart.

Try focusing your request on what you reasonably expect to receive.

I am trying to get the first 9 channels on the FOOL TV report.
post #3298 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I am trying to get the first 9 channels on the FOOL TV report.

Then, in that case, yes, the DB4e would be expected to pick up the first 9 stations on the list, even the VHF station. A much smaller alternative would be the ClearStream 2V that can be purchased locally.

Of course, this assumes signals aren't blocked by a forest or by other buildings.
post #3299 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

Then, in that case, yes, the DB4e would be expected to pick up the first 9 stations on the list, even the VHF station. A much smaller alternative would be the ClearStream 2V that can be purchased locally.

Of course, this assumes signals aren't blocked by a forest or by other buildings.

So is the ClearStream 2V a better antenna than the DB4E? I want mount the antenna in my garage..
post #3300 of 3314
Better? Not necessarily except on VHF. The DB4e is much stronger on UHF which is great if you actually need it (you don't).

However, you can buy a C2V at almost any Walmart or Best Buy store without waiting for shipping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Technical
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › EV's Recommended & Top Rated DTV Indoor UHF/VHF Set Top Antenna Review Round-Up Guide