For new owners of the Pioneer DV-410V or new members to this thread (as I was) who just want to upgrade their firmware without reading through all 10 pages of this thread.
This sums up the info you get from the PioneerFaq.info site (I can't link to it since this is my 1st post)
Read it to decide if you want to upgrade your firmware.
1) Check your firmware version. HOME MENU -> INITIAL SETTINGS -> OPTIONS then press "DISPLAY" on the Remote Control
2) The latest version is YJB8507B. If you have older (i.e. YJB8223B or YJB8331B) and want to upgrade firmware, keep going.
3) From the link above, download Smash The Mac v2.2 under CP1252.
4) Unzip it. Burn the .BIN to a CD using the burn instructions linkedon PioneerFAQ.info.. The label has to be "PIONEER".
5) Turn on your DV-410V player.
6) Insert disc. Hit Play.
7) The disc will eject and screen will say "LOADING". You can take the disc out now. Wait 5 minutes. If you don't get the Pioneer screen, wait another 10 minutes before resorting to step 8.
8) For my North American player I bought at Future Shop, the screen stayed black (no Pioneer logo) and "LOADING" stayed on the panel and the tray remained open for 15 minutes. Like the instructions said, I closed the tray by hand and unplugged the power. Plugged it back in, turned it on, it said "CLEAR". Logo came on. All is well.
9) You will have to set your Initial Settings again (i.e. 16x9, resolution if you have HD).
Thanks a bunch to the creators of PioneerFAQ, the long filenames and extensions, and DVD fast start are the most useful features to me.
btw NCIX had 12' Belkin HDMI cables on special for $15 so thats what I use to hook it up, though I have nothing against component.