or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official RadianceXD support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official RadianceXD support thread - Page 45

post #1321 of 1347
Is there any replacement for the XE3D in the works? I use PIP and their new models don't have this feature. Also wish they added an Ethernet port for updating and IP control. Thanks. SJ
post #1322 of 1347
http://store.spectracal.com/downloads/

New Calman Ver 5.2.3 #1415 now available. Now upgraded to # 1416



Lumagen FW Update for the 20XX - # 010414

Audio fix for no audio on initial power up. Audio fix for sometimes getting no audio when source changes audio formats.

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates

New FW Update for the 20xx Series:

Production 011714- Adds a clean transition for aspect changes. Fixes stereo/Coax/Tos audio input to HDMI audio output. Fixes loss of audio for some audio format changes on input. Update time ~3 minutes @57k

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates
Edited by p5browne - 1/28/14 at 5:26pm
post #1323 of 1347
Radiance 20XX:

Production 011914- Fixed up an issue (in 1204-0117 firmware) causing loss of video for some DVI displays. Update time ~3 minutes @57k

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates

Radiance Other:

Production 011814- Adds a clean transition for aspect changes. Fixes occasional loss of audio for some audio format changes on input. Update time ~3 minutes @57k

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=updates

Radiance 20XX now at 012014
Edited by p5browne - 1/31/14 at 8:48am
post #1324 of 1347
After talking with Gordon, we are going to do a "Video Processor Amnesty" trade-in program in the USA and Canada as well. Here are the details:

Applies to the purchase of a Radiance 2041 or Radiance 2042 (only). These are 2k input to 4k output processors.

You can purchase through a participating dealer(such as AVScience), or contact us directly if you do not have a dealer you are working with (sales@lumagen.com, or call 503-574-2211).

Limited time (but at least through February)

We have significantly increased the trade-in value for RadianceXD, RadianceXS, and RadianceMini units. We also increased the trade-in for a DVDO Duo and a Crystalio scaler

Trade-in values are deducted from the MSRP of the unit.

Trade-in Value
RadianceXE $1,700
RadianceXS $1,600
RadianceMini $1,500
RadianceXD $1,500
Lumagen Vision Unit $1,300
DVDO VP50 or Duo $1,300
DVDO Edge or Edge Green $1,100
Crystalio HDMI VP $1,300
Other VP $1,000

MSRP on the Radiance 2041 is $3495, and for the Radiance 2042 the MSRP is $3995. So you would deduct the trade in value from the MSRP to get the net cost for you to upgrade to either the 2041 or the 2042.

If you have a current Radiance, the reasons to upgrade would be the larger CMS (729 points verses 125), and the addition of Darbee DVP(TM). These two reasons plus many more apply as reasons to upgrade from any other video processor.

Many of you reading this have a Radiance already, but consider trading in that other scaler you put in the second TV room, and putting the new Radiance 204X in your main theater, and your old Radiance into your second TV room.

I think it interesting to note that we are giving (as I recall) more than the DVDO Duo was selling toward the retail on a 204X unit. We are getting Duo's and Edge units in trade more frequently of late. The main comment we are getting is that "I was penny wise and pound foolish to not have bought a Radiance in the first place."

This is a great time for everyone to consider upgrading.
post #1325 of 1347
Jim - the trade in seams like a good way to stay current with the newer model lines. I was wondering though, will the 20xx models be upgradable to 4K input in the future?
post #1326 of 1347
Do ANY of these new models have PIP/POP? We use this feature in our XE3D. Thanks. Steve
post #1327 of 1347
Looking at the 2022, but the XE-3D has 6 HDMI Inputs versus only 4 on the 2022. (Is it the XE-3D that's on the trade list, or just the XE? Not that I'd trade that anyways)
post #1328 of 1347
The current 20XX units cannot be upgrade to 4K inputs with software. It will require a trade-in of the current unit for a 4k input version once they become available. No schedule yet on 4k input.

The only Radiance unit with PiP/PoP is the RadianceXE-3D. The 20XX units do not have PiP/PoP.

We are not expecting a lot of XE owners to take advantage of the upgrade since many bought an XE for the six HDMI inputs. In some cases the 4k30 output, improved 729 point CMS, or the Darbee DVP(TM) may convince some to switch to a 20XX unit.
post #1329 of 1347
The Radiance XE also has two trigger inputs, which I use (1) to raise and lower sides of my Cinemascope screen, and (2) for my anamorphic lens. The 2041/42 units do not have any trigger inputs? Of so, this would be a problem for me.
post #1330 of 1347
Steve:
There are no trigger outputs on the Radiance 20XX units. What we found was that most who needed triggers had a control system. So we choose to not include them.
post #1331 of 1347
Does the trade-in have to be for MSRP? For example, AVScience actually sell 2041 for $2795, about 700 off already. so, the savings does not seem to go for much?
Also, does -3D add more trade-in value? For example, I got a XD-3D, is it still 1500 trade-in?
post #1332 of 1347
^ There's an old saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth which I think applies here. $1500 off is more than 2x the trade in value I have seen in the past. Trading in a Vision to HDP and the HDP to a Radiance XD was $500 each time. Regarding 3D add on to XD, an educated guess is that all trade in's are scraped. Avoids a glut in the used market which would reduce sales of new units and market price for those current owners who would decide to sell rather than trade in. If I wanted a 2k to 4k VP rather than 4k to 4k, I would jump on this.
post #1333 of 1347
Will the XE ever be fully replaced with all the current functionality including PIP/POP or is that feature never going to be part of future Lumagen products? Thanks. SJ
post #1334 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

^ There's an old saying about not looking a gift horse in the mouth which I think applies here. $1500 off is more than 2x the trade in value I have seen in the past. Trading in a Vision to HDP and the HDP to a Radiance XD was $500 each time. Regarding 3D add on to XD, an educated guess is that all trade in's are scraped. Avoids a glut in the used market which would reduce sales of new units and market price for those current owners who would decide to sell rather than trade in. If I wanted a 2k to 4k VP rather than 4k to 4k, I would jump on this.

Both my display does not support 4K input, so actually the upgrade I want is more or less 1) 9x9 CMS 2)Darbee integration (which I had one standalone currently..) I am just looking to see if this is a Killer deal that I cannot refuse.. rolleyes.gif
post #1335 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Will the XE ever be fully replaced with all the current functionality including PIP/POP or is that feature never going to be part of future Lumagen products? Thanks. SJ

Don't forget the 6 HDMI Inputs will now be 4. Me, I use all 6 on my system, the other 2 sytems in the house: 4 for the wife's and 2 on the basement system. (For now.)

Talking about 20XX - new FW # 012814

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates
post #1336 of 1347
Would a Vidikron VDP-80 (An OEM Vision Pro HDP) qualify for the trade-in?

Thanks.

Mark
post #1337 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Would a Vidikron VDP-80 (An OEM Vision Pro HDP) qualify for the trade-in?

Thanks.

Mark

It qualifies as a Vision trade in, since it is a VisionPro HDP unit.
post #1338 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Will the XE ever be fully replaced with all the current functionality including PIP/POP or is that feature never going to be part of future Lumagen products? Thanks. SJ

We are considering having PiP/PoP in the 4k input to 4k output unit.
post #1339 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post

After talking with Gordon, we are going to do a "Video Processor Amnesty" trade-in program in the USA and Canada as well. Here are the details:

Applies to the purchase of a Radiance 2041 or Radiance 2042 (only). These are 2k input to 4k output processors.

You can purchase through a participating dealer(such as AVScience), or contact us directly if you do not have a dealer you are working with (sales@lumagen.com, or call 503-574-2211).

Limited time (but at least through February)

We have significantly increased the trade-in value for RadianceXD, RadianceXS, and RadianceMini units. We also increased the trade-in for a DVDO Duo and a Crystalio scaler

Trade-in values are deducted from the MSRP of the unit.

Trade-in Value
RadianceXE $1,700
RadianceXS $1,600
RadianceMini $1,500
RadianceXD $1,500
Lumagen Vision Unit $1,300
DVDO VP50 or Duo $1,300
DVDO Edge or Edge Green $1,100
Crystalio HDMI VP $1,300
Other VP $1,000

MSRP on the Radiance 2041 is $3495, and for the Radiance 2042 the MSRP is $3995. So you would deduct the trade in value from the MSRP to get the net cost for you to upgrade to either the 2041 or the 2042.

If you have a current Radiance, the reasons to upgrade would be the larger CMS (729 points verses 125), and the addition of Darbee DVP(TM). These two reasons plus many more apply as reasons to upgrade from any other video processor.

Many of you reading this have a Radiance already, but consider trading in that other scaler you put in the second TV room, and putting the new Radiance 204X in your main theater, and your old Radiance into your second TV room.

I think it interesting to note that we are giving (as I recall) more than the DVDO Duo was selling toward the retail on a 204X unit. We are getting Duo's and Edge units in trade more frequently of late. The main comment we are getting is that "I was penny wise and pound foolish to not have bought a Radiance in the first place."

This is a great time for everyone to consider upgrading.

I am trying to convince myself that trading in my Vidikron VDP-80 (An OEM Vision Pro HDP) is a good idea. The VDP-80 came with the Vidikron Vision 80 projector, and I have tried to sell this "kit" on a few occasions. The price difference between a straight purchase of a 2041 from AVS versus trading in the VDP-80 on a 2041 is close to the amount I think the projector kit is worth. However, I probably would never be able to sell the projector kit for the amount I feel it is worth.

So, basically, I can get the most value from the VDP-80 by trading it in, but I have to spend money to do it. I can sell one or both of my Darblet's to partially fund the purchase, since the 2041 has the DVP processing built in. And I would still have the XS-3D, but I could use that in another room, I suppose.

Argh!

Mark
post #1340 of 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I am trying to convince myself that trading in my Vidikron VDP-80 (An OEM Vision Pro HDP) is a good idea. The VDP-80 came with the Vidikron Vision 80 projector, and I have tried to sell this "kit" on a few occasions. The price difference between a straight purchase of a 2041 from AVS versus trading in the VDP-80 on a 2041 is close to the amount I think the projector kit is worth. However, I probably would never be able to sell the projector kit for the amount I feel it is worth.

So, basically, I can get the most value from the VDP-80 by trading it in, but I have to spend money to do it. I can sell one or both of my Darblet's to partially fund the purchase, since the 2041 has the DVP processing built in. And I would still have the XS-3D, but I could use that in another room, I suppose.

Argh!

Mark

do it, do it, do it...you know you want to!

smile.gif
post #1341 of 1347
Most definitely. That said, the *last* place someone should be asking for opinions on whether they should spend their hard earned cash on HT upgrades is on this forum. The answer's already known even before you start writing. wink.gif

Kal
post #1342 of 1347
Thanks to the generous folks trading up, I have purchased a used XS-3D from Jim for a reasonable price, to replace the iScan Duo on my wife's LG 55LHX. Funeral will be shortly after the XS-3D arrival!
Happy Valentines Day dear - got you some more electronics as a gift. oh, here's your card and one rose - that's all I could afford afterwards!
Edited by p5browne - 2/5/14 at 3:49pm
post #1343 of 1347
You guys are a bad influence!

Mark wink.gif
post #1344 of 1347
I have CalMAN 5 Enthusiast and a Radiance XS. A couple fairly basic questions that came up during my initial install and calibration attempts. I think this is more applicable to Lumagen than to the Calibration forum (re:CalMAN), so posting here...

1. Grayscale & Gamut calibration:

I started with reading the Tips (esp. tip 2), but could use some clarity in a couple spots

a. I first did basic level setting - brightness, contrast. Especially payed attention to peak level clipping and kept contrast just under that.
b. Next, did a quick 2 point grayscale on the display at 30/80 IRE. Step 12 of Tip 2 says maybe to do only 100 IRE?!
c. Tweaked the Color & Tint using blue filter and color bar test pattern. Correct, or leave at the display's mid-level default?
d. Ran CalMAN's AutoCal 21 point Grayscale using the Radiance as the pattern source and DDC, 5 minutes. Results in a decent grayscale with good BT gamma curve avg of 2.2.
e. Ran CalMAN's AutoCal 3D LUT 5x5 (gamut) calibration of about 35-40 minutes duration.

At this point after doing the 3D LUT gamut calibration, the Grayscale & gamma done in "step d." (above) doesn't look too good. I'm not surprised about this, as the gamut was significantly modified. Tip 2 - step #13 says not to touch the grayscale/gamma after a gamut adjustment.

My display needed another slight touch to the Brightness, Color & Tint controls (blue filter). Tip 2 step #14, suggests that rerunning a grayscale/gamma may be needed, but step #13 says do not touch after a gamut update.
So, violating Tip 2 #13, I ran a another grayscale calibration (post-3D LUT) and stopped there.

The display (a plasma) at this point has a very vibrant, maybe over saturated look. Maybe I should have stopped before running the last grayscale/gamma calibration and left that looking a bit non-linear as it was after the 3D-lut run?


Questions:
- Is it a standard process to iterate (loop) through both Grayscale & 3D LUT, or just go back and rerun the Grayscale after the 3D LUT and stop there?
- Does running further iterations of "d" & "e" refine each previous run?


2. Source(s) calibration?

After calibrating the display side of things using the Radiance for test pattern generation, etc, where does that leave you as far as various source inputs? For example, BD, HTPC and DirecTV sources may all have varied levels.

Is it typical at this point to use test patterns from each of these sources and tweak each of the Radiance inputs to try adjusting these sources to similar levels as what the Radiance generated during display calibration? Any "tips"?


3. Source enhancement

DirecTV sends Universal Sports as a blury 480i x 720 format. Simply upscaling this to 1080p does nothing visible to improve the picture.

I have enabled enhancements for this 480i resolution, but just guessing at what & how these should be set. Ended up using a level of 20 for everything (sharpness, texture, mosquito). IMHO, this definitely improves the picture, but I'm looking for more guidance instead of flying blind.
Edited by coolplazma - 2/10/14 at 3:47pm
post #1345 of 1347
I find 3X's the charm.
Auto Calibrated 21 Point Grayscale, 125 Point 3D LUT, then back to Grayscale, etc. Each affects the other. After 3 Xs, you've pretty well narrowed it right down. DDC to fine tune.
I leave 2 Point at Zeros. Usually after a successful calibration, 2 Point is almost right on.
Adjusting 2 Point, I then find I'm now compensating with the 21 Point and 125 Point 3D LUT. 2 Point last only if it's not near where it should be, then of course, it now affects the other calibrations. It might also be an indication of issues elsewhere..

New 20XX FW Update: 020114 >> Now 020314 >> Now 021814

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance20XX_updates

Calman Upgrade to 5.3 RC2 - Note: Use IE to get the Download Button - doesn't appear to show up using Google Chrome (Or doesn't download if you do)

Calman Upgrade to 5.3 Final Version - see note above, also new download page.

http://color.spectracal.com/downloads
Edited by p5browne - 3/12/14 at 3:30pm
post #1346 of 1347
So eventually I found the Radiance FAQ which discusses most of my questions above.
post #1347 of 1347
Radiance 20XX:
Production 030114- Fix for an issue with Cambridge audio receiver in front of Radiance resulting in severely green/pink colors if using Radiance default video EDID. Fix for bad onscreen test patterns within the grayscale command. Fix for issue when output 1 video was turned off causing occasional stutter on output 2 video. Fix for 2022/2042 copying analog input settings from one input memory to another. Fix for 2022/2042 analog inputs did not correctly select the output CMS and Styles. Note that the new image based auto aspect feature is still in beta. Update time ~15 minutes @57k from previous firmware

Radiance XS and XE
Production 030114- Fix for an issue with Cambridge audio receiver in front of Radiance resulting in severely green/pink colors if using Radiance default video EDID. Fix for bad onscreen test patterns within the grayscale command. Fix for an issue with some DVI input displays in establishing a connection for video when display is powered up more than a minute after Radiance. Update time ~3 minutes @57k from previous firmware

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=updates

Also recommend if the Radiance is Outputting Audio to an AVR or TV, shut AVR Off. The TV, once you see the FW starting to Update, shut the TV Off. This is to remove Audio Updating issues..
Edited by p5browne - 3/17/14 at 10:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › Official RadianceXD support thread