or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 741

post #22201 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip61 View Post

I am surprised that you guys don't have a 3 year warranty like us in Canada.

They pay a lot less for the TV than us Canuks.
post #22202 of 30268
Thanks for the feedback.

BB is too overpriced compared to the others for only 2 years, and after reading a few scary stores about CPS, I think I'm going with Mack. Here's hoping I never have to find out how their service is
post #22203 of 30268
Can anyone here recommend a ISF Calibrator in the NY/Long Island area? I think it's time to have my 151FD properly calibrated, especially now that my other equipment upgrades are done (Pio SC-27 adn Oppo BDP 83). Thanks.
-Evangelo2
post #22204 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Can anyone here recommend a ISF Calibrator in the NY/Long Island area? I think it's time to have my 151FD properly calibrated, especially now that my other equipment upgrades are done (Pio SC-27 adn Oppo BDP 83). Thanks.
-Evangelo2

You didn't get my email yesterday? I just resent it.
post #22205 of 30268
I'm looking at either being a used 141 or a new 50" elite from Best Buy; I wanted to ask is the reported buzzing on the panels really that bad, or is it just annoying that it's there, even faintly? I'm also still confused on exactly dirty-screen effect is, whether it's inherent in all Elite panels, and if it will ever go away or reduce itself as the tv is used.
post #22206 of 30268
Hey fellow Elite Kuro owners, I have a friend that needs a TV and don't have a lot of time
to do some research........how does this guy do up against our Kuros , anyone here know?

thanks
post #22207 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Hey fellow Elite Kuro owners, I have a friend that needs a TV and don't have a lot of time
to do some research........how does this guy do up against our Kuros , anyone here know?

thanks

Check the Panny threads... there has been a lot of buzz about black level shifting after XX hours on some sets. Not sure if this is one of them, or not. Definitely worth more than just a cursory look - before buying!!!
post #22208 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowknight View Post

I'm looking at either being a used 141 or a new 50" elite from Best Buy; I wanted to ask is the reported buzzing on the panels really that bad, or is it just annoying that it's there, even faintly? I'm also still confused on exactly dirty-screen effect is, whether it's inherent in all Elite panels, and if it will ever go away or reduce itself as the tv is used.

If I was in your position, id buy the new one so that you can return it if you don't like it.
Don't worry about the buzzing and other stuff, just buy the TV and find out for yourself.
Rest easy, the TVs you are looking at are some of the best ever made.
post #22209 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowknight View Post

I'm looking at either being a used 141 or a new 50" elite from Best Buy; I wanted to ask is the reported buzzing on the panels really that bad, or is it just annoying that it's there, even faintly? I'm also still confused on exactly dirty-screen effect is, whether it's inherent in all Elite panels, and if it will ever go away or reduce itself as the tv is used.

From what I've read and heard, the buzzing issue is more of a factor with the larger sets. My 111FD (50") has never buzzed, even when I've put my ear to it.

As for "dirty screen" effect, I didn't see that on my display, either. I did see it on a couple of non-elites in a store which weren't calibrated in any way, just out-of-the-box settings. Whites were grayish, but the LCDs nearby were painfully washed out on those same whites, and with less detail.
post #22210 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRL0INofBEEF View Post

i looked at the bb warranty, and it is good but overpriced. I would look at someone like mack warranties who actually extends the warranty. Theirs are much cheaper too.

I think I payed 500 for a 5 year black tie warranty threw BB on my 6020. IMO I think BB has a great warranty and from searching around its a pretty fair price.
post #22211 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

From what I've read and heard, the buzzing issue is more of a factor with the larger sets. My 111FD (50") has never buzzed, even when I've put my ear to it.

As for "dirty screen" effect, I didn't see that on my display, either. I did see it on a couple of non-elites in a store which weren't calibrated in any way, just out-of-the-box settings. Whites were grayish, but the LCDs nearby were painfully washed out on those same whites, and with less detail.

Guess I might have got lucky because no buzz on my 6020, I mean I even put my ear to the back side of it and had to turn the volume off and still couldnt hear anything . My Sony 550 BP Makes noise though lol and as far as dirty screen Mines not even calibrated yet and the whites are very white, colors are beautiful and of course as we all know our inky Blacks rock . Im pretty picky so for me to be happy says a lot
post #22212 of 30268
Had my 101FD for 2 days. If it has DSE, I can't tell, so I'm happy. I've tried all white screens, black screens, panning sky shots, and can't notice any lines or blotches.

It definitely buzzes, but as soon as I get about 2+ feet away I can barely hear it, and any further than that and I think it's completely unnoticeable. Putting it into Power Save 2 just about completely eliminates it, even from ~6 inches away.

It sounds like maybe some sets don't buzz at all, so I'm not sure if mine is completely normal, but I'm happy as long as it doesn't get any louder.
post #22213 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

You didn't get my email yesterday? I just resent it.

Hey D-Nice, I think we're all set now
post #22214 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Guess I might have got lucky because no buzz on my 6020, I mean I even put my ear to the back side of it and had to turn the volume off and still couldnt hear anything .

That's great that it's quiet and you're happy with it. Just so you know, though, the panel buzz people talk about is heard when you're directly in front of it; it doesn't come from the back.
post #22215 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

That's great that it's quiet and you're happy with it. Just so you know, though, the panel buzz people talk about is heard when you're directly in front of it; it doesn't come from the back.

Thanks for the clarification I just muted everything and listened maybe a inch away and nothing the screen had a white picture during portions of my listening test to knock on wood I hope it remains quiet . Thanks again and I really am very happy with it because it exceeded my expectations and they were high after all the good things i've read and heard about the kuro. Its a amazing Display I think one of the quality's I really like is it has a very natural life like picture if that makes any sense .
post #22216 of 30268
Anyone looking for a center channel speaker that almost fits exactly under your PRO-151FD, I found one, the X-Voce from AV321 ,

post #22217 of 30268
James, doesn't that make your tv shake a bit due to the vibrations within the center channel? Or is it imperceptible?

That's a nice setup, by the way. I know very little about speakers, but the general styling of fronts look like Martin Logans...
post #22218 of 30268
James is your display wall mounted ? If so then I would think anyone would work depending on how high your display is mounted. It does appear though your display stand has a wall mount type extention on it.
post #22219 of 30268
I originally wanted a stand similar to yours because I had a hard time finding one that would fit my center channel but because my center channel weighs around 80 pounds I was worried about the display stand being top heavy so I went with this one and its actually working out pretty good lifting my center up high enough to were it sounds very good .
post #22220 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Anyone looking for a center channel speaker that almost fits exactly under your PRO-151FD, I found one, the X-Voce from AV321 ,

Hey James.....you do remember we're in earthquake country, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

James is your display wall mounted ? If so then I would think anyone would work depending on how high your display is mounted. It does appear though your display stand has a wall mount type extention on it.


That's a 151 with the stand, sitting directly on the speaker.

post #22221 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Hey James.....you do remember we're in earthquake country, right?


That's a 151 with the stand, sitting directly on the speaker.


lol
post #22222 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Hey James.....you do remember we're in earthquake country, right?


That's a 151 with the stand, sitting directly on the speaker.


oops guess my coffee hasnt kicked in yet That does look very good !
post #22223 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

oops guess my coffee hasnt kicked in yet That does look very good !

Mine hasn't either.....but I'm running the IV now! I was serious, though. James lives up here in the Pacific Northwest, like me, and we're long overdue for "the big one." They seem to be happening everywhere else lately, so I've been looking at wall-mounting my Kuros just for the peace of mind knowing they won't topple over and kill the dog or something....
post #22224 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Mine hasn't either.....but I'm running the IV now! I was serious, though. James lives up here in the Pacific Northwest, like me, and we're long overdue for "the big one." They seem to be happening everywhere else lately, so I've been looking at wall-mounting my Kuros just for the peace of mind knowing they won't topple over and kill the dog or something....

Ouch that would hurt Hey im from the Pacific Northwest also what a small world ! I wanted to set my display on top of my speaker also on top of my stand but again it would of been really top heavy and also I'D OVER 200 pounds on that top shelf with the combo of the display and center channel.
post #22225 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

James lives up here in the Pacific Northwest, like me, and we're long overdue for "the big one." They seem to be happening everywhere else lately, so I've been looking at wall-mounting my Kuros just for the peace of mind knowing they won't topple over and kill the dog or something....

Where we live we have faults all over the place

I have my 151 bolted to a large Salamander Synergy triple door component rack with the center speaker mounted in the center compartment below the Kuro.
post #22226 of 30268
You guys are starting to make me nervous lol I think I might mount my display stand to the wall with the mounting straps it came with .
post #22227 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

Where we live we have faults all over the place

I have my 151 bolted to a large Salamander Synergy triple door component rack with the center speaker mounted in the center compartment below the Kuro.

Yeah, you guys are "Quake Central" down there! So do you mean you have bolted the 151's own stand down onto the shelf it sits on? Those little straps that come with it (that secure the back of the stand) seem only marginally adequate for tremor-country.
post #22228 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Yeah, you guys are "Quake Central" down there! So do you mean you have bolted the 151's own stand down onto the shelf it sits on? Those little straps that come with it (that secure the back of the stand) seem only marginally adequate for tremor-country.

Yes, thats the way its mounted! Yes, perhaps marginal but better than nothing--

--But if the big one comes the Kuro is the least of our problems. Back in 1989 I was in the Loma Preata Earthquake in one of the areas of San Francisco hardest hit--the area that was continuously shown on National TV with the fires and the apartment buildings that had come down.

When the quake started we were about to watch the World Series on a 200 pound Sony XBR Triniton console which was sitting on the floor. During the quake that TV was jumping at least a foot or two off the floor. In the flat that we were in it didn't matter much what was bolted to what. We are only lucky that the whole place didn't come crashing down! That wasn't even the Big One that they are predicting here in The Bay Area in the next 30 years!
post #22229 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

Yes, thats the way its mounted! Yes, perhaps marginal but better than nothing--

--But if the big one comes the Kuro is the least of our problems. Back in 1989 I was in the Loma Preata Earthquake in one of the areas of San Francisco hardest hit--the area that was continuously shown on National TV with the fires and the apartment buildings that had come down.

When the quake started we were about to watch the World Series on a 200 pound Sony XBR Triniton console which was sitting on the floor. During the quake that TV was jumping at least a foot or two off the floor. In the flat that we were in it didn't matter much what was bolted to what. We are only lucky that the whole place didn't come crashing down! That wasn't even the Big One that they are predicting here in The Bay Area in the next 30 years!

Yikes! I agree that our TVs and other "stuff" should be the least of our concerns when the time comes. I just don't want mine to come flying at me, or even at the dog. (I'd rather see my entire HT investment lying in a crumpled heap than lose my Beagle......he's my little buddy. )
post #22230 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Yikes! I agree that our TVs and other "stuff" should be the least of our concerns when the time comes. I just don't want mine to come flying at me, or even at the dog. (I'd rather see my entire HT investment lying in a crumpled heap than lose my Beagle......he's my little buddy. )

LOL I hear ya my concern to would be more about my little buddy my Siamese cat that thinks hes a dog and he's very much a HT enthusiasts ; ) Here he is saying good bye to my Panny 65V10 just before they picked it up and dreaming of his new Pio Kuro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread