or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 898

post #26911 of 30268
Please post pictures if u can.
post #26912 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Please post pictures if u can.

Sure will ... i was thinking the same thing myself.
post #26913 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

Please post pictures if u can.

Finally ...what a journey!!!

It started off by UPS 'losing' my package!!! I was upset indeed. The online tracker said it had delivered the package on my doorstep, which was a lie as i had been watching for it all morning. Anyways, after a few (angry) phone calls to UPS, they said " Well? take it up with ShopJimmy.com as they are the one s that shipped it"

Long story short, after a few hours, the package 'magically appeared' to my doorstep in the afternoon. I was relieved and asked the SJ.com to to a partial refund on the shipping costs as i had paid for next day air to be delivered before 10:30AM the following day. In my case, it was in the PM. I got $3 back

Now, you can see the progress of my journey to fix my PRO151 plasma.

Pic_1:
Unsightly setup as i had to use my old RPTV as a backup which prefers to output red images above all else. You can see my dead plasma in the background.

Pic_2:
After removing the plasma from the wall with the help of a friend, i had the PS modules removed. You can see the burnt transformers that i believe were the cause of the plasma failure.

Pic_3, Pic_4:
New power supplies have been installed (top center) in their place.

Pic_5:
We have video indeed!!!

Question:

I just had my plasma calibrated by Dave Abrams 2 days before the power supply failure!. Did i loose my calibrated settings? Do i need to perform the calibration again?

This is indeed a 2-man job and one of them has to be handy with tools. This thing's back panel is connected with a million screws to the TV! Do not loose any for i lost 2 of them when already. Oh well, Plasma is still alive indeed...

My dealer had originally quoted $500, then changed it to $900 until you guys at AVS here encouraged me to go it alone! Paying less than $150 for the power supplies and $100 labor to my friend, you folks here have saved me hundreds of dollars and countless tears over the $$$! Thanks all indeed!

God bless,
David
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #26914 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I just had my plasma calibrated by Dave Abrams 2 days before the power supply failure. Did i loose my calibrated settings? Do i need to perform the calibration again?

I don't think you've lost anything due to a power supply failure, but the person you should ask is David Abrams.

Enjoy.
post #26915 of 30268
Very nice fix, dmusoke! Thanks for the pics!
post #26916 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I don't think you've lost anything due to a power supply failure, but the person you should ask is David Abrams.

Enjoy.

I shot off an email to him before i posted already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch View Post

Very nice fix, dmusoke! Thanks for the pics!

Thanks jmmesch for pointing me to ShopJimmy.com A very nice and great bunch of folks indeed!
post #26917 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I don't think you've lost anything due to a power supply failure, but the person you should ask is David Abrams.

Enjoy.

I doubt he lost settings but the bigger question would have to be if the calibration was done with a cripled power supply that would be different if it was fully functioning. Guess it all depends on how it failed and that's not so easy to figure out.

A bit congrats to dmusoke.
post #26918 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I doubt he lost settings but the bigger question would have to be if the calibration was done with a cripled power supply that would be different if it was fully functioning. Guess it all depends on how it failed and that's not so easy to figure out.

A bit congrats to dmusoke.
Good point Jim ... But suppose the cal was made on a compromised power supply, which means than Dave Abrams would have to increase its load in order to meet the color and brightness levels he was shooting for.

Now with a newer supply, this would mean the picture would be brighter now but on my eyes, it still looks the same but w'all know how reliable human eye-memory can be.

I'm just glad thinhs didn't blow up ...man, if you examine the back panel, all you see are ultra-high density 15 high density circuit boards with high pin-count BGA chips everywhere. Iys quite a sight to see...

For those who want to know, the PRO-151 uses the Broadcom BCM7404 chip for all audio and video processing functions and many more ...see attachment.

- David

 

BCM7404.pdf 306.6533203125k . file
post #26919 of 30268
@ Dmusoke

You should be fine regarding the calibration. I had my 500m power supply replaced a year ago and my calibration settings including the isf patch stayed intact. Congrats on getting your 151 back to work!
post #26920 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I doubt he lost settings but the bigger question would have to be if the calibration was done with a cripled power supply that would be different if it was fully functioning. Guess it all depends on how it failed and that's not so easy to figure out.

A bit congrats to dmusoke.

How would you know that the power supply was cripled? Shouldn't the set not work?

Louis
post #26921 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

@ Dmusoke

You should be fine regarding the calibration. I had my 500m power supply replaced a year ago and my calibration settings including the isf patch stayed intact. Congrats on getting your 151 back to work!

Good to know ...thx Sonyboy. Curious though, how old was your 500m before you replaced its powersupply?
post #26922 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

How would you know that the power supply was cripled? Shouldn't the set not work?

Louis

That was part of my thinking as well, but the PS could have been degrading though still functional enough to perform a calibration, maybe?
post #26923 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

That was part of my thinking as well, but the PS could have been degrading though still functional enough to perform a calibration, maybe?

That might be why you would want to talk to David Abrams.

From your description of the original power supply it didn't gradually fail to provide power. It seems to me that your power supply blew it's brains out.

I don't know if power supplies can gradually degrade, but I'll bet that someone like David would notice during his calibration if such a thing is possible.
post #26924 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

That was part of my thinking as well, but the PS could have been degrading though still functional enough to perform a calibration, maybe?

I only ask because I had major surge/short problem a few weeks back. The powerlines to the house shorted out. This 'event' burned out several florescent tube ballasts and blew 2 surge suppressors. Strangly, little visible damage occured to any other electronics much of which is unprotected including my 151.

I can't help but wonder and worry.

Louis
post #26925 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

I only ask because I had major surge/short problem a few weeks back. The powerlines to the house shorted out. This 'event' burned out several florescent tube ballasts and blew 2 surge suppressors. Strangly, little visible damage occured to any other electronics much of which is unprotected including my 151.

I can't help but wonder and worry.

Louis

Is there a special reason why your 151 doesn't have surge protection?
post #26926 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Good to know ...thx Sonyboy. Curious though, how old was your 500m before you replaced its powersupply?

About 1 and half years old.
post #26927 of 30268
My 101fd is like a ****ing fire place lol damn does that thing get hot
post #26928 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Is there a special reason why your 151 doesn't have surge protection?

Nope .. but installing a whole house surge suppressor this week.
post #26929 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post


Nope .. but installing a whole house surge suppressor this week.

You will also need a local surge suppresser for your 151. Try keeping cool as well.
post #26930 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

That was part of my thinking as well, but the PS could have been degrading though still functional enough to perform a calibration, maybe?

If you have a calibration disk, check brightness and contrast. Also, how do the fleshtones look?

If you don't have a calibration disk, the AVSHD 709 is free for download. It has some pretty good patterns along with a tutorial.
post #26931 of 30268
It's probably been about three-years since I needed to access the FAQ's but I went to the first few pages of the thread and cannot find them! Are they still there or elsewhere!!

-George
post #26932 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That might be why you would want to talk to David Abrams.

From your description of the original power supply it didn't gradually fail to provide power. It seems to me that your power supply blew it's brains out.

I don't know if power supplies can gradually degrade, but I'll bet that someone like David would notice during his calibration if such a thing is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

If you have a calibration disk, check brightness and contrast. Also, how do the fleshtones look?

If you don't have a calibration disk, the AVSHD 709 is free for download. It has some pretty good patterns along with a tutorial.

Had a chat with Dave Abrams and asked me to see if the ISF modes are still visible or available. Thankfully, they were... He also asked me to check the numbers for the pure and other modes he calibrated against the calibration report he gave me. They matched perfectly.

He said, at most, there'd be some slight increase in brightness, if at all. He said that he couldn't have hit the color and brightness levels he did if the power supply was failing at the point of calibration. So he said my set should be set to go, calibration wise, that is.

My picture look great and one really nice, unexpected and suprising bonus ....the buzzing is drastically reduced! I can't explain this really since the energy mode setting is 'OFF'. which is 'noisiest' setting but gives the highest brightness levels. Ofcourse changing this setting to 2 reduces the buzzing further but reduces picture brightness.

Anyhow. all is well ( i hope)
post #26933 of 30268
^Nice...just goes to show, not all power supplies are created the same.
post #26934 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Had a chat with Dave Abrams ...

It always pays to go right to the source.

Quote:


My picture look great and one really nice, unexpected and suprising bonus ....the buzzing is drastically reduced!

The worst of plasma buzzing that I've read about over the past few years has usually been traced to the power supply. Many people report it as loud and coming from the rear of the display.

The panel's buzz, in general, that's reported is lower in volume and is definitely coming from the screen itself. Our 6010 had a faint buzz when we installed it four years ago that I could detect a few inches from the screen. I've never heard it since then because I spend zero time that close to our screen.

Yours is a wonderful feel good story for everyone with a Kuro display. Enjoy.
post #26935 of 30268
HAPPY NEW YEAR..GOD my head hurts!!!!!!!!!!
post #26936 of 30268
I've searched the 151 manual and the on-screen set-up/function displays and cannot find a setting/option that will turn off/on the 151's speakers. Does anyone know if there is an item in the set-up menu that will permit this?

-George
post #26937 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

I've searched the 151 manual and the on-screen set-up/function displays and cannot find a setting/option that will turn off/on the 151's speakers. Does anyone know if there is an item in the set-up menu that will permit this?

-George

You can only turn off your speakers with Kuro link to a HDMI CEC compliant A/V Receiver. If you do not have that, just reduce to volume to 0 or press the mute button.
post #26938 of 30268
I understand.

Thanks much for your response.

-George
post #26939 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post

I understand.

Thanks much for your response.

-George

I don't know of your situation or why you want to turn the speakers off, but if you have the PRO151 and want to turn the tv speakers off, why don't you just unplug them and take them off? The tv speakers are detachable and can be unplugged from the back and removed.
post #26940 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_b View Post

I don't know of your situation or why you want to turn the speakers off, but if you have the PRO151 and want to turn the tv speakers off, why don't you just unplug them and take them off? The tv speakers are detachable and can be unplugged from the back and removed.

I would never take my speakers off cause when im not watching BD's i use it.

And it makes the TV look extra wide.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread