or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 928

post #27811 of 30259
Hey, few have their Kuro in a hotter place than mine, East wall between two clerestory windows in the desert, where we are sunny 305+ a year.

My fans have never been on.

But the HTPC near it, has CPU fans on summertime (April to last week), and silent now (we are 66F going to 76F today).
post #27812 of 30259
Thanks guys. I guess a little over-engineering on Pioneer's part. I guess that's why they cost the big bucks. Or used to cost the big bucks. (Or have they all come from the factory disconnected lol)
I bet their some good fans too. Might take them out and put them in my gaming rig wink.gif Just kidding. I guess it's got to get ridiculously hot for them to kick in. Maybe some enclosed space type of thing.
post #27813 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post

Hey just a heads up! If you want some eye candy for your kuro's you have to pick up Prometheus on blu ray. Simply stunning to say the least.

I bought the 4 disc version. I have yet to watch it. Looking forward to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

Thanks guys. I guess a little over-engineering on Pioneer's part. I guess that's why they cost the big bucks. Or used to cost the big bucks. (Or have they all come from the factory disconnected lol)
I bet their some good fans too. Might take them out and put them in my gaming rig wink.gif Just kidding. I guess it's got to get ridiculously hot for them to kick in. Maybe some enclosed space type of thing.

I love over engineered products. Shows the company cares about quality. Which the kuro has an infinite amount of.

Can you believe this TV came out in 2008 and can still stand up to, and beat, TV's released in 2012? It's freaking crazy.

As for the fans. I wonder too how hot it has to get for the fans to turn on? During the summer my room got very hot. I could feel the heat coming from the vents behind my 151 but the fans stayed off.

In the manual it mentions the operating temperature being 32 degrees to 104F.
post #27814 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post


In the manual it mentions the operating temperature being 32 degrees to 104F.
104?!?!? I didn't know they had blu-ray in Hell. lol
This is gonna be a good scavenger hunt. Finding someone who has actually witnessed the fans coming on. And of course video or it never happened as they say these days.
post #27815 of 30259
I own a Pioneer 101 and just got a new HR24, since my HR21 is dying. Unfortuately, the picture looks oversaturated and a little bright. I already did the workaround manually setting the RGB to 16-235, which improved the washed out look. I still prefer the older HR21 picture. Any suggestions or alternate picture settings I can try? I currently use SillySally's settings and it looks fantastic. I'd like to avoid an expensive professional calibration, if possible.
post #27816 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypete View Post

I own a Pioneer 101 and just got a new HR24, since my HR21 is dying. Unfortuately, the picture looks oversaturated and a little bright. I already did the workaround manually setting the RGB to 16-235, which improved the washed out look. I still prefer the older HR21 picture. Any suggestions or alternate picture settings I can try? I currently use SillySally's settings and it looks fantastic. I'd like to avoid an expensive professional calibration, if possible.

I had an HR22 connected to my 141 and then after an issue with the HR22, I received an HR24. The picture was washed out. I had to run a separate HDMI cord to the 141 (everything was run through my AVR) and change the input settings on the 141 to correct the issue. If this sounds like what you are dealing with, let me know, and I will look up what I had to change (it has been awhile). smile.gif
post #27817 of 30259
I got the washed out look corrected with manually changing the input to RGB 16-235, and that did improve the picture. However, now the picture is brighter, oversaturated, and blacks are too black causing some crush. Did you notice a difference in picture quality from the HR22? Do you remember if you had to make any adjustments to the settings when you switched to the HR24?
post #27818 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I bought the 4 disc version. I have yet to watch it. Looking forward to it.
I love over engineered products. Shows the company cares about quality. Which the kuro has an infinite amount of.
Can you believe this TV came out in 2008 and can still stand up to, and beat, TV's released in 2012? It's freaking crazy.
As for the fans. I wonder too how hot it has to get for the fans to turn on? During the summer my room got very hot. I could feel the heat coming from the vents behind my 151 but the fans stayed off.
In the manual it mentions the operating temperature being 32 degrees to 104F.

I haven't paid attention, but I don't think my fans have ever come on either, even when the TV's been on awhile. Of course, it doesn't get to 104 in here. In the summer it does get humid though.

As for the Kuro's viability, I think it's great as well that there's still no TV out there that's better in all aspects. Eventually something will be, but not yet. Still, there are pretty good ones out there, and I pretty much know what I'd get if I HAD to start over. But that won't be anytime soon, if it's a matter of upgrading only.
post #27819 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmesch View Post

Hey, few have their Kuro in a hotter place than mine, East wall between two clerestory windows in the desert, where we are sunny 305+ a year.
My fans have never been on.
But the HTPC near it, has CPU fans on summertime (April to last week), and silent now (we are 66F going to 76F today).

Mine either. I remember looking though my 500m manual and there's a function to turn them on manually, along with lots of other fun stuff. Integrator menu I think it was. If I lived without AC I would consider it to keep everything nice and cool to prolong life during the summer. I guess it would depend on how noisy they were.
post #27820 of 30259
In May 2013 I will have put on approximately 2500 hours on my pro-111FD since calibration. I had it ISF calibrated in May 2011 by D-Nice cool.gif

When should I have the ISF touch up/recalibration done? At what hour count?

And if anyone could share what a touch up/recalibration did for them on their Kuros in terms of improved picture quality, increased accuracy or better black levels etc.

Thanks
post #27821 of 30259
I have a KRP-600M and I'm not sure how many hours I have on my display. (How does one find that out?) I purchased it in August of 2009 and had it calibrated a few months later, and I don't think I'm anywhere near the 2500 hour mark. Everything still looks good to me in both calibrated modes (Pure and ISF Night), but I'm wondering the same thing. Thanks!
post #27822 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

I have a KRP-600M and I'm not sure how many hours I have on my display. (How does one find that out?)

Check hours with EZ Hours smile.gif
post #27823 of 30259
looking at the thread... was just wondering if D-Nice still post on avsforum?
post #27824 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

looking at the thread... was just wondering if D-Nice still post on avsforum?

not here recently but he did post at HDJ a few days back......

If you want to setup a calibration appointment, contact by:

hx81uu.jpg
post #27825 of 30259
nah, I already got him to do my TV when he did his Canadian tour in 2011.... was just asking, since i haven't seen a post of his in a long time... and i value what he says
post #27826 of 30259
I don't think D-Nice post here anymore. There's many reasons and think one of them is he doesn't like the new forum software (neither do i). I remember a post saying it doesn't work well with his ipad. Could be mistaken so don't quote me on that.
post #27827 of 30259
Since the Pio Kuro's have been out for a few years now are there any reports from Kuro owners reporting anything negative about the tv with reliability problems, IR, burn in? I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD so I was just wondering if I might have missed something i need to know about my tv. I haven't been reading about electronics for over a year so I been out of the loop on electronics.
post #27828 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Since the Pio Kuro's have been out for a few years now are there any reports from Kuro owners reporting anything negative about the tv with reliability problems, IR, burn in? I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD so I was just wondering if I might have missed something i need to know about my tv. I haven't been reading about electronics for over a year so I been out of the loop on electronics.

I don't follow things too deeply either but there are no abiding issues I know of, other than what's been posted here about some buzzing panels on the 60" sets. I have a 111FD and after over 4 years of use have had no issues.
post #27829 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Since the Pio Kuro's have been out for a few years now are there any reports from Kuro owners reporting anything negative about the tv with reliability problems, IR, burn in? I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD so I was just wondering if I might have missed something i need to know about my tv. I haven't been reading about electronics for over a year so I been out of the loop on electronics.

There has been an issue with some sets and there is a separate thread about that issue here. Some sets have acquired a red tint over time so that everything is a bit reddish. From what I have read it is like the buzzing problem in that its presence is random. If your set doesn't have this problem yet, it probably won't have it ever. I have the same set you have and have seen no evidence of the red tint.
post #27830 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Since the Pio Kuro's have been out for a few years now are there any reports from Kuro owners reporting anything negative about the tv with reliability problems, IR, burn in? I own a Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD so I was just wondering if I might have missed something i need to know about my tv. I haven't been reading about electronics for over a year so I been out of the loop on electronics.

As long as you keep the orbiters on (preferably on mode 2), the Kuro will be Very resistant to burn in even when displaying lots of static material on it.

My 5020FD suffers from the red tint issue and it's very visible in a dark room, I now have a KRP-500M and hopefully it won't get the same issue as well.
post #27831 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

As long as you keep the orbiters on (preferably on mode 2), the Kuro will be Very resistant to burn in even when displaying lots of static material on it.
My 5020FD suffers from the red tint issue and it's very visible in a dark room, I now have a KRP-500M and hopefully it won't get the same issue as well.
have never had the orbiter on, and never had a hint of ir or burn, faultless since day one:)
post #27832 of 30259
My 151 replacement is 2.5 years old and works great. The 150 it replaced did not last 2 years.
post #27833 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post

have never had the orbiter on, and never had a hint of ir or burn, faultless since day one:)

That's why I mentioned the lots of static material part, my 5020FD suffered from some pretty bad IR when I played a lot of CoD4 on it back in the day with the orbiters off, never had an issue once I turned them back on.

IMO if anyone is a hardcore gamer he should definitely turn the orbiters on, displaying the same static HUDs for 6+ hours on daily basis is just asking for trouble if you leave them turned off.
post #27834 of 30259
Would a good surge protector have an impact on reducing buzz not only right away but also prevent buzzing in the long run? If you do not have the Kuro plugged into a surge protector could surges and dirty power increase buzz? I have a SurgeX surge protector for my Kuro..

http://www.surgex.com/pdf/XF2-LR.pdf

Also, will a calibration from someone like D-Nice fix the red tint some people get?
Edited by oppopioneer - 11/10/12 at 5:09am
post #27835 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Would a good surge protector have an impact on reducing buzz not only right away but also prevent buzzing in the long run? If you do not have the Kuro plugged into a surge protector could surges and dirty power increase buzz? I have the best surge protector you can get for flat screen panels, the SurgeX, it uses no mov's.
http://www.surgex.com/pdf/XF2-LR.pdf
Also, will a calibration from someone like D-Nice fix the red tint some people get?

No as far as any effect of a surge protector on buzz.
post #27836 of 30259
I highly doubt the surge protector will have any sort of effect on the panel buzz, did you try using Energy saving mode 2? That pretty much eliminated the buzz noise from my panel.

No, calibration won't fix the red tint issue, it's a voltage related problem (internal voltage values in the Kuro).
post #27837 of 30259
Yes, I have my Kuro set to Energy Save Mode 2, it limits the buzz a bit, you can still hear a slight buzz when I watch tv when it's quiet with the volume down low. It's not a problem.

If red hint is due to a voltage issue would a surge or dirty power coming have caused that?
post #27838 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Yes, I have my Kuro set to Energy Save Mode 2, it limits the buzz a bit, you can still hear a slight buzz when I watch tv when it's quiet with the volume down low. It's not a problem.
If red hint is due to a voltage issue would a surge or dirty power coming have caused that?
if your set is calibrated energy save 2 is garbage, live with the buzz just turn the volume up:D
post #27839 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Yes, I have my Kuro set to Energy Save Mode 2, it limits the buzz a bit, you can still hear a slight buzz when I watch tv when it's quiet with the volume down low. It's not a problem.
If red hint is due to a voltage issue would a surge or dirty power coming have caused that?
There hasn't been any proof that a surge or dirty power would cause the issue, AFAIK it's a problem with how the factory adjusted the voltages in the first place which caused the Kuro to not age properly and show such symptoms after using it for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post

if your set is calibrated energy save 2 is garbage, live with the buzz just turn the volume up:D
Can you please explain what's the difference, specially if the set was calibrated While using energy save mode 2?

I don't see a difference when I change the energy save modes, but maybe I'm not looking at the right places, some info about this would be much appreciated.
post #27840 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

There hasn't been any proof that a surge or dirty power would cause the issue, AFAIK it's a problem with how the factory adjusted the voltages in the first place which caused the Kuro to not age properly and show such symptoms after using it for a while.
Can you please explain what's the difference, specially if the set was calibrated While using energy save mode 2?
I don't see a difference when I change the energy save modes, but maybe I'm not looking at the right places, some info about this would be much appreciated.
well with energy save 2 on you are making the picture dim, resulting in a not correct image, so your calibration would not be right, put it back in energy save 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread