or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 986

post #29551 of 30259
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth unfortunately.
post #29552 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

Wonder how we define 'normal' ?

Anyway for what it is worth my 500M has a September 08 module, with a (MFD) November 08 build date

Come on guys. I'm talking about a 101/500m without the 9.5G parts. A black level of 0.001 instead of 0.0005.

I read somewhere, either here or avforums, that in the beginning they were like all other kuros. Only after 09/10 were the panels 9.5G's. This was only for overseas i think.
post #29553 of 30259
There has been lots of discussion lately of panel manufacturing/build dates, 9G, 9.5G, panel manufacturing being migrated to one facility in the last 4 months of Kuro production (Jan-Apr or Feb-May) etc, etc.

My Pro-111FD has a manufacturing/build date of January 2009, just before the announcement that Pioneer was exiting the flat panel business.

Does January 2009 kuro panels mean or infur anything in terms of the parts put into it or is my Pro-111 a true 9G unit, end of story? What about QC and build quality of my panel? Did it suffer or benefit if it migrated to one facility for assembly?

Questions, Questifons!

Thanks
post #29554 of 30259
I have some questions pertaining to the settings on my 151 when hooked up to a ps4 if someone can or will chime in with some advice. First of all my 151 has been calibrated by Jeff Mier (UMR on this site I believe). I've been using either ISF day or night on the tv since he has calibrated it and it looks amazing when watching blu-rays.

I recently purchased a ps4 and it is supposed to be capable of 1080p/60fps while playing games. My question is when in ISF mode, does anyone know if it displays 60fps correctly? The reason I ask is because while it does seem somewhat smooth when playing, I'm not noticing much difference in motion compared to the same settings while playing my old ps3. I hope this makes sense, because that is about as well as I can explain it. Thanks in advance
post #29555 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

I recently purchased a ps4 and it is supposed to be capable of 1080p/60fps while playing games. My question is when in ISF mode, does anyone know if it displays 60fps correctly? The reason I ask is because while it does seem somewhat smooth when playing, I'm not noticing much difference in motion compared to the same settings while playing my old ps3. I hope this makes sense, because that is about as well as I can explain it. Thanks in advance

IIRC, none of the PureCinema features work on 1080p60, they only work with 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p24.
post #29556 of 30259
Welp, today is the official day that my 500M is totally showing the "red dots" near the center of the screen, even when using Standard power saving... But to be fair, my KURO probably has 10,000+hrs on it, so I'm not complaining, especially since it's only visible when surfing the web (i.e. an almost totally white background).
post #29557 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

Welp, today is the official day that my 500M is totally showing the "red dots" near the center of the screen, even when using Standard power saving... But to be fair, my KURO probably has 10,000+hrs on it, so I'm not complaining, especially since it's only visible when surfing the web (i.e. an almost totally white background).

10,000 hours is nothing for Pioneers.

It could be the power supply unit, or it could be transistors failing at the back of the panel unable to get the appropriate voltages to the particular sub pixels
post #29558 of 30259
Question about my 141:

Would changing my HDMI input that I use to RGB(16-235) cause any problems?

When on Auto, the picture is washed-out.
post #29559 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Question about my 141:

Would changing my HDMI input that I use to RGB(16-235) cause any problems?

When on Auto, the picture is washed-out.

What video source do you have set to RGB on your Kuro?
post #29560 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

What video source do you have set to RGB on your Kuro?

When my Xbox One is set to RGB limited and the HDMI input on the 141 is on Auto, the picture is washed-out. The Xbox One runs through my Denon 4311 first (which is set to RGB limited).
post #29561 of 30259
You don't want to use Auto on your 141
post #29562 of 30259
I wanted to publicly thank D-Nice for calibrating my 151 again last weekend. This is the 3rd time I've had him over to take care of my 151 since buying it in 2008. Great job as usual with the added bonus this time of D-Nice's black level tweak. My 151 is better than new now!

He also made sure the voltages were set properly to prevent the red tinted blacks from ever occurring as the panel ages (mine only has about 3300 hrs on it). Apparently some panels were incorrectly set at the factory causing the red tint to appear at about 5000 hrs.

For anyone looking for a calibrator, I highly recommend D-Nice!

Thanks again D. smile.gif
post #29563 of 30259
I'd love for D-Nice to re-calibrate my 500M, but I never heard back from him after the last email I sent him.
post #29564 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I wanted to publicly thank D-Nice for calibrating my 151 again last weekend.
Thanks for posting your calibration comments. I've added a link to your post in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.

If you have further comments to make about your audio or video calibration, it would be great if you could use the edit command to add them to your original post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #29565 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 View Post

I'd love for D-Nice to re-calibrate my 500M, but I never heard back from him after the last email I sent him.
If you used this email,

hx81uu.jpg

try again. smile.gif
Edited by htwaits - 12/1/13 at 1:09pm
post #29566 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you used this email,

info at av-fi.com

try again. smile.gif
Thank you, I'll try again.
Edited by Shawn1 - 12/1/13 at 5:16pm
post #29567 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I wanted to publicly thank D-Nice for calibrating my 151 again last weekend. This is the 3rd time I've had him over to take care of my 151 since buying it in 2008. Great job as usual with the added bonus this time of D-Nice's black level tweak. My 151 is better than new now!

He also made sure the voltages were set properly to prevent the red tinted blacks from ever occurring as the panel ages (mine only has about 3300 hrs on it). Apparently some panels were incorrectly set at the factory causing the red tint to appear at about 5000 hrs.

For anyone looking for a calibrator, I highly recommend D-Nice!

Thanks again D. smile.gif

Sounds fantastic.

D-NICE the Pioneer Kuro King.

D-Nice if you're reading would you ever consider doing a world tour smile.gif
Edited by Stu03 - 12/3/13 at 6:34am
post #29568 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

You don't want to use Auto on your 141

Ok. What should I set my HDMI input at for a blu-ray player?
post #29569 of 30259
try setting both the source and 141 to RGB 16-235
post #29570 of 30259
Ok,

So for those of us owners that have had a Kuro for years....am I the only one who feels the desire to hoard 111's, KRP's, PRO's etc. when they come up for sale? I mean, there are quite a few now, 141's included that I saw yesterday that have hardly been used at all aaand; there is one new in the box, never used, never registered.

Call me crazy, but I still look for these displays wanting another one. I simply do not care for any other display.
post #29571 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy6 View Post

Ok,

So for those of us owners that have had a Kuro for years....am I the only one who feels the desire to hoard 111's, KRP's, PRO's etc. when they come up for sale? I mean, there are quite a few now, 141's included that I saw yesterday that have hardly been used at all aaand; there is one new in the box, never used, never registered.

Call me crazy, but I still look for these displays wanting another one. I simply do not care for any other display.


I've had my 151 since 2009. I still have not found anything I would replace it with including the 3 different 4k sets I've had home.

 

Having finished a media room in my house, I have been looking for a set in the 70-80" range. IMO LED has a way to go to be an acceptable replacement.

 

I have considered buying another Kuro if the price was right, but service could become an issue, as parts are scarce, and size is limited to 60". The Smart TV features on the newer sets are handy but not a deal breaker as most Blu-Ray players have the features. The passive 3D on the Sony x900a I tried was impressive, and something I would be looking for in another set.

 

If my 151 were to die today, I'd likely be looking for another 151 or 600 as I don't see any other panels that have the same picture quality, but I doubt I'll be buying one as a spare.

post #29572 of 30259
The 4K sets are nowhere near contender status when it comes to Kuro in anything other than resolution. I am pleased with how far Panasonic has taken their own tech to the point that I sold my 111FD earlier this year (I've outgrown it, and trying to buy up 5-year-old panels online and/or through Craigslist is more trouble than its worth unless you're in a major metropolitan area).
post #29573 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

First of all, I am a complete amateur at this, so take my information with a huge grain of salt. I am just offering it as information to you that you may or may not want to follow up on.

The PRO-111FD is covered by the PRO-111FD and PDP- 5020FD service manuals. The first is mostly disassembly information and the second has relevant troubleshooting information.

The 5020 service manual says this:

8 blue flashes = failure in IIC communication with the main microcomputer

The main microcomputer cannot communicate with one of the following:
Audio IC, RGB switch, Main VDEC, VDEC SDRAM, AD/PLL, HDMI, Temperature sensor, Expansion I/O, DA for FAN

There is then a simple procedure on p17 for determining exactly which of those is faulty (hold down "display" key while turning off, and an orange LED will flash to indicate which part is faulty).

Once you've determined which is faulty from the above procedure, there is a table across pages 78-79 with a list of possible defective parts to replace.

There are also schematics that show where the parts are located. With a lot of luck, perhaps the part will be a generic component you can buy at Radio Shack, Fry's, Digikey, whatever. If not, I suppose you may have to order it from a Pioneer service center.

FYI - The 111FD manual has a list of parts that, if they need to replaced, the whole board has to be replaced along with it anyway. So after determining the part, I would cross-check that list. In fact there may be other gotchas laying around too, so I would read both manuals front to back, and consult an electronics technician, because I only looked into this very briefly and I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Of course a complete board replacement would be much easier if you can find it.

I found the service manuals on ElektroTanya.com.

With the holidays haven't been here to check this out. Thanks for the reply. So far it still is the same problem. Cold startups everything is fine. Starting up right after a shutdown and the blinking happens. Had some kids over Thanksgiving and of course one of them had to play with the switch on the wall that happens to have a wall of electronics going through it, including my TV. Everything off at once. Same issue when I tried to turn it back on. Had to let it sit for about 7 minutes or so before it would come back on.
I'll definitely look into everything you said.
post #29574 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy6 View Post

Ok,

So for those of us owners that have had a Kuro for years....am I the only one who feels the desire to hoard 111's, KRP's, PRO's etc. when they come up for sale? I mean, there are quite a few now, 141's included that I saw yesterday that have hardly been used at all aaand; there is one new in the box, never used, never registered.

Call me crazy, but I still look for these displays wanting another one. I simply do not care for any other display.

I would love another 151 and a 111FD plus the monitors. These displays are more than satisfying enough to keep long term.

Where are you finding the kuros?

I remember it was said Robert at VE was suppose to get the rest of the unsold kuros from Pioneer to sell. I don't how true that is, but i can guess it wouldn't go through since Panasonic had TV's to sell.

I really want to know what Pioneer is going to do with the ones they have left. I would seriously buy a brand new kuro from them right now.
post #29575 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Great job as usual with the added bonus this time of D-Nice's black level tweak.

so what did he change with the "tweak"?
you have eyes right
could you see what he was doing?

im just curious
i dont need a calibrator since mine is already "tweaked"
but it could be fun to know what the fuzz is about smile.gif
post #29576 of 30259
Are the speakers that come with the 151 model any good sound wise? What can someone expect to pay for a set on the market today?

I’m with Saprano if these sets were available for purchase today I would be a customer!
Edited by Dust Bubble - 12/6/13 at 8:39am
post #29577 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bubble View Post

Are the speakers that come with the 151 model any good sound wise? What can someone expect to pay for a set on the market today?

I’m with Saprano if these sets were available for purchase today I would be a customer!


the sound system on the 151 is probably one of the best built into a flat panel. Previous to having my 151, my home theater system was used more than 80% of the time I was watching TV, movies or sports. Since having the 151 its down to less than 30%. For an audiophile like myself, that speaks of its quality.

post #29578 of 30259
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

I would love another 151 and a 111FD plus the monitors. These displays are more than satisfying enough to keep long term.

Where are you finding the kuros?

I remember it was said Robert at VE was suppose to get the rest of the unsold kuros from Pioneer to sell. I don't how true that is, but i can guess it wouldn't go through since Panasonic had TV's to sell.

I really want to know what Pioneer is going to do with the ones they have left. I would seriously buy a brand new kuro from them right now.

I called Pioneer many months ago and asked if they had and/or would sell Kuro's, they said they had none....
post #29579 of 30259
I see used Kuros show up on Craigslist about once every two months. Usually the owners are a little too proud and are asking too much, but my friend just got an 8G Kuro Elite 50" with stand and speakers for $750. It's gorgeous and the speakers are far better than I have ever heard from a flat panel TV.

I wouldn't buy a used Kuro sight unseen (Ebay for example), because I'd be a little suspicious (what the heck did they upgrade to?). But if you can check it out in person, I think it's okay.
post #29580 of 30259
An 8G? No thanks...modern plasmas beat them on most PQ fronts (aside from the sound, but that is the last parameter in mind when I purchase a TV). That price is nice, however.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread