or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 30268
Gus thanks so much. I appreciate it. I posted that question in three threads and you're the first to answer. Please note that I edited my post. I was really curious about the mds file. Glad to know I don't need it.
post #62 of 30268
Glashub,
Try fast forwarding through the disk. My chapters are 45 min. each and there are 32 of them I believe.
post #63 of 30268
my disc is also 44:57 with 32 chapters as well and what is your other question? i guess you can put it to loop the whole title
post #64 of 30268
For those of you that have pre-ordered the Pro-151FD, can you advise where to buy this unit? e.g., Best Buy, etc. What is the price going for? About $6.5K?

Thanks
post #65 of 30268
Are you saying the disc is 24 hours then, hamish? That's 24 hours according to the way I'm reading your post. Gus are you saying our're whole disc is 32 chapters in 44:57? I guess it doesn't matter since I have a repeat function on my dvd player.

Thanks.
post #66 of 30268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrivas View Post

For those of you that have pre-ordered the Pro-151FD, can you advise where to buy this unit? e.g., Best Buy, etc. What is the price going for? About $6.5K?

Thanks

Please no price talk in the thread. You can PM people for that information.

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Are you saying the disc is 24 hours then, hamish? That's 24 hours on one disc. Gus are you saying our're whole disc is 32 chapters in 44:57? I guess it doesn't matter since I have a repeat function on my dvd player.

Thanks.

The disc is created to loop on it's own. My dvd player doesn't have a loop feature and the break-in has been running for 36 hours so far with no problems.

The waiting is killing me!
post #67 of 30268
Yes 24 hrs.
post #68 of 30268
Ok, I'm sorry. What's the best place to purchase this tv from?
post #69 of 30268
asystole13

I am going to use your plan and break in my 151 in another room rather than getting rid of my 1140 right away. Family can't bitch then.
post #70 of 30268
Looking at asystole13's pics, I can see a "Kuro" logo in the upper right hand corner of the bezel that does not show up in the advertising photos on the Pioneer website. It doesn't show on the 150s either. Is that permanent, or is it just a sticker? It looks a little distracting.
post #71 of 30268
rrivas
You missed the Sound Advice sale before Memorial day so, at least one sponsor quoted me for an Elite if you want an elite. If not many sponsors at the top and bottom of this page can help you. The "best" will be your up to you If you cant get a price match locally.
post #72 of 30268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

asystole13

I am going to use your plan and break in my 151 in another room rather than getting rid of my 1140 right away. Family can't bitch then.

My wife wouldn't look at solid colors for 6 days. I had to takeover the kitchen table.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibo780 View Post

Looking at asystole13's pics, I can see a "Kuro" logo in the upper right hand corner of the bezel that does not show up in the advertising photos on the Pioneer website. It doesn't show on the 150s either. Is that permanent, or is it just a sticker? It looks a little distracting.

The logo isn't permanent. It's like those holiday decorations that stick to the windows and peel off and on each year.
post #73 of 30268
My wife did on my first one. Can you say friction?
post #74 of 30268
My girlfriend thought I was crazy as well when I told her that I needed to break in the 151. I have resolved to use the break in DVD as much as possible, but watching a blu-ray with no bars in between break-in sessions.

An .mds is a catalog file that works as a check sum. It is basically a "map" of the larger file it accompanies. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but some programs can either use the .mds to verify that all data is present or to determine the order in which the information should be burned (.iso).

Barnman, have you considered a rack?
post #75 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

The logo isn't permanent. It's like those holiday decorations that stick to the windows and peel off and on each year.

Whew! I'm in the slow lane for a 151 from a West Coast BestBuy. I'm gettin giddy waiting.
post #76 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkrio View Post

Just a quick question, how is the daytime contrast? As in are the blacks still deep even when there is sunlight shinning on the set?

You shouldn't have sunlight shinning directly on any set.
post #77 of 30268
Thanks focusedone. Got it all figured out now.
post #78 of 30268
Thread Starter 
Still going.



This is torture. Imagine this was a joke and it didn't make a difference if you break it in with the disc.
post #79 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

Still going.



This is torture. Imagine this was a joke and it didn't make a difference if you break it in with the disc.

Actually there are some (including myself) that would argue that it doesnt make a difference. If fact I just used Planet Earth and animated cartoons for awhile during the first couple hundred hours. Now I have almost 800 hrs and everything is fine.
post #80 of 30268
Talk about torture...

There are those of us who still don't even HAVE our 151's yet! I won't be using the break-in DVD the whole time. I think it'll be mostly the break-in DVD, but I will watch some normal content, such as Pixar movies, during the first couple weeks.

Congrats again, asystole!
post #81 of 30268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

Talk about torture...

There are those of us who still don't even HAVE our 151's yet! I won't be using the break-in DVD the whole time. I think it'll be mostly the break-in DVD, but I will watch some normal content, such as Pixar movies, during the first couple weeks.

Congrats again, asystole!


I think I might move it into the living room tomorrow and run the break-in disc inbetween use.
Thanks again Aetherhole. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
post #82 of 30268
Well, I just ordered a 151fd to replace my 6020. All because of a couple lousy extra inches that pioneer just had to throw into their non-elite stand because of the speaker.

I'll be interested to hear what the recommended settings are, I assume they will be similar to d-nice's settings for the 150fd.

Is there some reason other than the dubious, that people dont share calibration settings? I assume factory settings create the same picture on every unit, so why not just ship all units calibrated or whatever.

Also, to any ISF techs out there, is there anyone who can explain by what percentage these 150fd/151fds are off of the standard based on fact settings?
post #83 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post


Also, to any ISF techs out there, is there anyone who can explain by what percentage these 150fd/151fds are off of the standard based on fact settings?

I believe I read D-Nice state for 8G Kuro's the non-elite was 5% and the elite were 3%. I don't know if thats the same for the 9G Kuro.
post #84 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashti View Post

Hey, I'm trying to find BG17is or 18is to listen to. UMR told me he thought I'd like these for a variety of reasons. But they're tough to find. I'll also have a look at the Paradigm Cinema and Millenia series. I keep falling in love over and over with the ML electrostats. But there's no way they could possibly work for me. If you want to chat more, we should probably do it in PM so as not to drag the thread off topic. I welcome all advice. I might start a thread seeking help in this forum or the speaker forum tomorrow (my design/sound/sight challenges are equally related to plasma and speakers).

Millenia 30s would look amazing next to a 151. They are the same height so they'll look great and they sound amazing, too.
post #85 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post

I'll be interested to hear what the recommended settings are, I assume they will be similar to d-nice's settings for the 150fd.

Doubt that very seriously. The 9Gs have better grayscale tracking than the 8G....so settings will be different,
post #86 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Doubt that very seriously. The 9Gs have better grayscale tracking than the 8G....so settings will be different,

Question is (for me, at least), how much control do you have over the settings with the 6020?
post #87 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo1 View Post

Is there some reason other than the dubious, that people dont share calibration settings?

People are sharing their settings.

Quote:


I assume factory settings create the same picture on every unit, so why not just ship all units calibrated or whatever.

Your assumption is wrong. There is variation among all sets.
post #88 of 30268
Thread Starter 
D-nice, when will you get your 151fd?
post #89 of 30268
I'm curious, with all the settings that can be changed in the normal menus for the elites, what further can an ISF calibrator do in the service menus for the Elites?
post #90 of 30268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherhole View Post

I'm curious, with all the settings that can be changed in the normal menus for the elites, what further can an ISF calibrator do in the service menus for the Elites?

Dunno... but the ISF support is actually INDEPENDENT of the SM. Basically,
they should be able to do most, if not all, of the settings outside the service
menu. When I had my 150FD ISF'd earlier in the year, there was no need at
all to go into the service menu. The gamma and colour settings are finely
adjustable and available right away in each of the TV modes. Apparently there
was supposed to be some sort of software tool to allow some further adjustments
(or at least locking in of settings) but I believe it was still independent of the
Service Menu. The Service Menu was more necessary for the non-elite as the
colour and gamma functions are not available on the regular modes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Pioneer 9G Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread