or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo or Denon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Onkyo or Denon?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
If you experienced bought devices, could you advice which is better for CD and MP3 sound? I am mostly interested in range between TX-SR705, TX-SR805 and AVR-2308, AVR-2808. I do not care about any video upscalers or features, but the stereo sound only. It could also be considered AVR-3808, if it is really different from AVR-2808 in performance. As I will mostly use it on the low volume, so high power output is not required. Some reviews comment very powerful models to be restrained at low volume. Other use to notice some Onkyo models sound flat or lacking bass. If you have experience with bought please give your description of the difference between the noted models.
Thanks.
post #2 of 9
I'm also pondering a 2808 or 3808... i'm wondering what the general consensus for a ~$1000 pricepoint is. (for receivers that fully handle hdmi/hbr/truehd/dtsma)

I was even considering Emotiva separates, as they fall just outside this range (around $1100)...

the only difference in the 2808 and 3808 that i found was that the 3808 has slightly better DACs and has some extra features (ethernet music player)...
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMG View Post

I'm also pondering a 2808 or 3808... i'm wondering what the general consensus for a ~$1000 pricepoint is. (for receivers that fully handle hdmi/hbr/truehd/dtsma)

I was even considering Emotiva separates, as they fall just outside this range (around $1100)...

the only difference in the 2808 and 3808 that i found was that the 3808 has slightly better DACs and has some extra features (ethernet music player)...

The main difference I noticed between the models is in the weight, models rangeing from AVR-1508 to AVR-2808 are 11-13Kg, but AVR-3808 and AVR-4308 are about 17Kg. The weight difference used to be the main indicator of the amplifier power and quality. Those seem like two catagories. There is a similar case by Onkyo, TX-SR506 to TX-SR705 are 11-13Kg, but TX-SR805 to TX-SR905 are about 24Kg. Noted Onkyo range has far the highest weight among receivers, as others in the class are up to 17Kg. It could make the most of the difference in sound.
post #4 of 9
I own an Integra DTR-6.8. Its an "upscale" Onkyo 705. Don't think there are many differences. Check out this link for receiver spec charts and comparison.

IMHO all brands have a "house" sound. It depends on what you like. I have never cared for Denon. Although many do, more so than Onkyo/Integra it appears.
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

IMHO all brands have a "house" sound. It depends on what you like.

QFT
post #6 of 9
I'm also seeing the Marantz SR7002 in this range... it looks an awful lot like the denon 3808... i wonder how it compares.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMG View Post

I'm also seeing the Marantz SR7002 in this range... it looks an awful lot like the denon 3808... i wonder how it compares.

Marantz SR7002 is 15Kg, Denon AVR-3808 is 17Kg. I think Denon has better equipement and maybe sound. Once I have heard AVR-1907 and it sounded far more subtle then AVR-1707. However sound of Denon was not as vivid and dynamic as Onkyo, which I know, as I currently have it.
post #8 of 9
i know the weight is a good rule of thumb, but is it really a hard-fast rule?

How do the DACs in all of these compare?

yeah, i think onkyo / denon is kind of like coke / pepsi...

i've always been a denon guy myself, i have an avr-3200 that has been a solid workhorse for years and years, and i love the quality.

I'm leaning towards the 3808, but i don't want to jump in without considering some of the other brands.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMG View Post

i know the weight is a good rule of thumb, but is it really a hard-fast rule?

How do the DACs in all of these compare?

yeah, i think onkyo / denon is kind of like coke / pepsi...

i've always been a denon guy myself, i have an avr-3200 that has been a solid workhorse for years and years, and i love the quality.

I'm leaning towards the 3808, but i don't want to jump in without considering some of the other brands.

You can find DAC specification on Denon US site, if you compare models. Denon AVR-2308 use Cirrus Logic, AVR-2808 use Burr Brown DSD-1608, AVR-3808 use Burr Brown 1791, but Onkyo TX-SR805 use better Burr Brown 1796 reserved for top notch devices only. TX-SR705 use Cirrus Logic. However, decoder does not mean all, i.e. Onkyo DVD player DV-SP504 use flagship Cirrus logic decoders and VLSC, but the analogue sound from CD is very poor.
I have tryed NAD T744, but it sounded sharp and a bit agressive, I prefere some softer sound with deep bass and overall depth.
Marantz SR8001 had restrained sound on the low volume in the test.
It is interesting by Onkyo that higher end models are not necessarly better then lower end, i.e. Series 600 sounds flat, while series 500 is ok.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Onkyo or Denon?