or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here - Page 10

post #271 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread and also to those who have replied to me via PM. I'm also a guy with an older non-HDMI system...an HK AVR7200. It is complimented by an EMO XPA-3 amp for the front speakers and I use the onboard amp power for the other four. It has a great bass management section and that's what troubles me with the analog inputs. From what I've gathered, a lot of the <$500 BD players have a 100hz xover and that's what my subwoofers see. That's unacceptable to me. I have to be misunderstanding this I had an order placed for a Pioneer 51FD but stopped it after hearing about the xover. I guess I could just use an optical connection to the 7200 and continue to use it's management system and HDMI to the projector. The other solution is new AVR with HDMI but it will have to have a kickass amp section for the surrounds and rear speakers like the HK 7200. Option 3: buy a dedicated pre/pro with HDMI.

My big problem is we built our HT four years ago and I quit frequenting HT forums. I got behind and I'm now trying to figure some of this out.

Option 4 would be too buy a modest HDMI equipped AVR with pre-outs that you could use to do bass management, etc, of HDMI sources and use separate amplifiers where needed.
post #272 of 1692
I've read some of my HK7200 manual and in the section for 8 channel direct input, it says the following:
"The 8 CH DVD AUDIO input should be used when an input is connected to all eight 8-Channel Direct Inputs and the input source device does NOT have it's own internal bass management system. When this input is in use the analog source is converted to digital so that you may use the same Triple Crossover bass management options for the direct input as you do with all other outputs. This input also mutes the unused input jacks to prevent unwanted noise from interfering with system performance."

Does this by any chance mean I can use the bass management in my HK7200 with a BD player?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

Option 4 would be too buy a modest HDMI equipped AVR with pre-outs that you could use to do bass management, etc, of HDMI sources and use separate amplifiers where needed.
post #273 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

I've read some of my HK7200 manual and in the section for 8 channel direct input, it says the following:
"The 8 CH DVD AUDIO input should be used when an input is connected to all eight 8-Channel Direct Inputs and the input source device does NOT have it's own internal bass management system. When this input is in use the analog source is converted to digital so that you may use the same Triple Crossover bass management options for the direct input as you do with all other outputs. This input also mutes the unused input jacks to prevent unwanted noise from interfering with system performance."

Does this by any chance mean I can use the bass management in my HK7200 with a BD player?

Looks like it.
post #274 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Looks like it.

The part about converting analog back to digital is the part that caught my eye. If it's true, I'm back in business
post #275 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post

The part about converting analog back to digital is the part that caught my eye. If it's true, I'm back in business


Here is an HK Tech article about the bass management
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Tec...verTechSht.pdf
post #276 of 1692
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was asked here, but my receiver has HDMI 1.2A without decoding capability.(Pioneer Elite 81TXV) Do I simply set the Blu-Ray to PCM? Will my receiver display the HD sound?
post #277 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremefit View Post

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was asked here, but my receiver has HDMI 1.2A without decoding capability.(Pioneer Elite 81TXV) Do I simply set the Blu-Ray to PCM? Will my receiver display the HD sound?

Yes and yes.
post #278 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by s44 View Post

Yes and yes.

Well, yes and no.

He will HEAR the uncompressed high def audio if he sets his BD player to PCM and he has one that decodes all formats (like the excellent Panasonic players).

He will not "see" anything and certainly not any little lights on his AVR that tell him he is getting True-HD or DTS-MA.
post #279 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremefit View Post

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was asked here, but my receiver has HDMI 1.2A without decoding capability.(Pioneer Elite 81TXV) Do I simply set the Blu-Ray to PCM? Will my receiver display the HD sound?

The receiver will probably display something like "PCM", "LPCM", or "MULTI-Ch PCM".
post #280 of 1692
Have a question if anyone can help. Please, Please,Please
I have my blu-ray s350 connected to my Samsung lcd via an HDMI cable with my HD std also going to the tv via an HDMI. I am then running a digital optical cable form the TV to my Samsung Home Theather HT-tz512. I ran everything this way because the home theater has no HDMI inputs. The problem is the sound on my blu-ray is not very loud when I play it through the home theater system. If I just run the sound through the TV it sounds loud but not when going through the home theater system. Any ideas what am i doing wrong?
post #281 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr22173 View Post

Have a question if anyone can help. Please, Please,Please
I have my blu-ray s350 connected to my Samsung lcd via an HDMI cable with my HD std also going to the tv via an HDMI. I am then running a digital optical cable form the TV to my Samsung Home Theather HT-tz512. I ran everything this way because the home theater has no HDMI inputs. The problem is the sound on my blu-ray is not very loud when I play it through the home theater system. If I just run the sound through the TV it sounds loud but not when going through the home theater system. Any ideas what am i doing wrong?

Normally in this situation one would use HDMI to the TV for video only, while also connecting each source to the receiver with an optical (or coaxial) digital audio cable.

This is because (1) most TVs do not pass multichannel audio coming from an external source back out through their optical outputs, and (2) the separate connections allow you to configure each audio input separately on the receiver (assuming the receiver can do this).
post #282 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr22173 View Post

Have a question if anyone can help. Please, Please,Please
I have my blu-ray s350 connected to my Samsung lcd via an HDMI cable with my HD std also going to the tv via an HDMI. I am then running a digital optical cable form the TV to my Samsung Home Theather HT-tz512. I ran everything this way because the home theater has no HDMI inputs. The problem is the sound on my blu-ray is not very loud when I play it through the home theater system. If I just run the sound through the TV it sounds loud but not when going through the home theater system. Any ideas what am i doing wrong?

Your TV is not an audio processor. Run the optical from the Blu-ray player directly to the AVR, not from the TV!
post #283 of 1692
The AVR has only one optical cable input so if i run the blu ray to the AVR them I can't connect my hd stb to the AVR. That is unless I use another type of connection or if their is anyway to convert the optical input on the AVR to two inputs. Any suggestions? TIA
post #284 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr22173 View Post

The AVR has only one optical cable input so if i run the blu ray to the AVR them I can't connect my hd stb to the AVR. That is unless I use another type of connection or if their is anyway to convert the optical input on the AVR to two inputs. Any suggestions? TIA

The suggestion would be to get a more capable AVR. One digital input is simply pathetic.
post #285 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr22173 View Post

The AVR has only one optical cable input so if i run the blu ray to the AVR them I can't connect my hd stb to the AVR. That is unless I use another type of connection or if their is anyway to convert the optical input on the AVR to two inputs. Any suggestions? TIA

monoprice has a manual switch that will work:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or, if your receiver has a coax input, you can get an optical-coax adapter:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #286 of 1692
have a samsung bdp-1000 and right now its hooked up with the blu-ray hdmi -out to the tv hdmi in and i have an optical audio cable to the reviever for audio

but im getting a new reciever monday-pioneer elite vsx01txh and i want to go thru the reciever now-for audio and video-how does it work -what is the sequence

a hdmi cable from the blu ray player to the reciever-and a second hdmi cable from the reciever to the tv????do i need 2 cables.it doesnt sound right or maybe it is-please help
post #287 of 1692
Hi

from the Blu-Ray Player the HDMI goes out from the player in to the receiver and from the Receiver you output the signal to the TV.

Here is the Sequence
Blu-Ray Player
Receiver
TV
You need two cables to do this

I have looked at the Pioneer of there web page and it has 3 HDMI in And 1 out you plug your player in the input and the output goes in your TV

When you get the Receiver go in to the Samsung setup menu and put the audio on LPCM so when you play blu-ray back and if you have a PCM 5.1 disc you will get the higher sound.

As you no the samsung BDP-1000 does not output bitstream. So in the future get a Player that will output bitstream, Because your New Receiver can do Lossless sound.

Hope this helps
post #288 of 1692
Hello-
Please help...I have an old yamaha power-amp and pre-amp, recently bought a 2nd HDTV, and wanted to add a blu-ray player. Since these old amps only allow for analog audio inputs, will I actually lose any audio in the transition? I'm OK with it not being 7.1 (my other set-up has that), but I still would like to push the sound through the two speakers.

Would I simply hook the HDMI from the blu-ray to the TV, and then use standard audio cables for the sound? From what I've gathered, do some blu-ray players not support this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #289 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by danc6433 View Post

Please help...I have an old yamaha power-amp and pre-amp, recently bought a 2nd HDTV, and wanted to add a blu-ray player. Since these old amps only allow for analog audio inputs, will I actually lose any audio in the transition? I'm OK with it not being 7.1 (my other set-up has that), but I still would like to push the sound through the two speakers.

Would I simply hook the HDMI from the blu-ray to the TV, and then use standard audio cables for the sound? From what I've gathered, do some blu-ray players not support this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're talking about stereo here? All BD players downmix 5.1 and 7.1 to stereo and I believe they all have analog stereo outputs. You can simply run an analog stereo pair from the player to the receiver.
post #290 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh11706 View Post

have a samsung bdp-1000 and right now its hooked up with the blu-ray hdmi -out to the tv hdmi in and i have an optical audio cable to the reviever for audio

but im getting a new reciever monday-pioneer elite vsx01txh and i want to go thru the reciever now-for audio and video-how does it work -what is the sequence

a hdmi cable from the blu ray player to the reciever-and a second hdmi cable from the reciever to the tv????do i need 2 cables.it doesnt sound right or maybe it is-please help

It is. Hdmi from player to receiver, and from receiver to TV, 2 cables. Now you can enjoy DTS-MA and DD TrueHD. Throw your optical cable away.
post #291 of 1692
I am looking to buy a bluray player soon and only have one issue with buying one, I have a very high end speaker setup, but an older receiver that doesnt have the HD decoding of Dolby or DTS in it. So I am trying to find a player that will do the decoding in the player itself and send the decoded signal through an optical output. I cant use audio through the HDMI because the receiver was released before the HDMI 1.3 spec and supposedly does not support audio passthrough.

Are there any players around that will decode all the newer "HD" audio versions of Dolby and DTS, AND output the sound via Optical cable (or I suppose coax digital would be fine too)?
post #292 of 1692
No, you will have to use analog if your AV is capable.
post #293 of 1692
Not to get into an audiophile arguement but the high bitrate DTS core and higher bitrate DD (640 vs 448) still sounds great to me. I wouldn't fuss much over the high end codecs.
post #294 of 1692
I am in the same boat having an older receiver (does not even have HDMI). Lucky my receiver does have 7.1 analog inputs. I plan on getting the Oppo BDP-83 when it comes out as it has 7,1 analog outputs and will decode internally both Dolby HD and DTS HD. Currently I am using the optical out on Sony BDP-S301.
post #295 of 1692
Well since if I used analog cables I would spend more money in the cabling than on the player itself I suppose that is out. If I did that I might as well buy a whole new receiver and use the newer HDMI 1.3, because the cost of player + silver core cables would be almost as much.

Do any of you know which codec out of the player/decoded in the receiver would provide the best decoding for the low end part of the sound spectrum? I spent a lot on my Power Amps and four 18" subs and I want to get the best sound out of them as possible...
post #296 of 1692
If your receiver has HDMI inputs (any version), and supports 7.1 Multichannel PCM over HDMI, then any player with internal decoding will work.

For example, my Denon 4306 has HDMI 1.1, but it supports MPCM, so I can play Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA from a PlayStation3.

MPCM cannot be sent over the optical or coax spdif cable, but all versions of HDMI can support it.
post #297 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 View Post

Well since if I used analog cables I would spend more money in the cabling than on the player itself I suppose that is out. If I did that I might as well buy a whole new receiver and use the newer HDMI 1.3, because the cost of player + silver core cables would be almost as much.

Do any of you know which codec out of the player/decoded in the receiver would provide the best decoding for the low end part of the sound spectrum? I spent a lot on my Power Amps and four 18" subs and I want to get the best sound out of them as possible...

Lossless is lossless. TrueHD, DTS MA, LPCM, it doesn't matter. And there is no difference in decoders, either. If there were, the resulting audio would not be lossless, which would mean the decoder was broken.

Hit the amps/receivers forum and ask about a pre/pro (or AVR with pre-outs) that can process HDMI MCH-LPCM audio, to go with your power amps. If you buy a player with internal decoding of all codecs, that will be all you need.
post #298 of 1692
I think my question got lost to the new replies when it was merged with this thread, so here it is:

It was decided that since I could not use audio through HDMI, I would have to use an older codec through Optical, or use analog RCA cables. Since the kind of RCA cables I use would cost more than the player (to hook up all channels), that idea is out. So I have to use an older "lossy" codec through Optical. So which would be best to set my receiver to:

Dolby Digital decoded in the player with direct setting on Receiver
DTS decoded in the player with direct setting on Receiver
Or have the receiver set to decode with THX Cinema decoding, THX Music, DTS-Cinema, DTS-Music, or Dolby Digital?

My receiver cannot decode DTS HD or Dolby HD itself, and does not support HDMI audio to have the player decode those lossless formats.
post #299 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 View Post

So which would be best to set my receiver to:

Dolby Digital decoded in the player with direct setting on Receiver
DTS decoded in the player with direct setting on Receiver
Or have the receiver set to decode with THX Cinema decoding, THX Music, DTS-Cinema, DTS-Music, or Dolby Digital?

You have to bitstream if you want multichannel audio when using an optical connection. If you decode in the player, it will downmix to stereo PCM.
post #300 of 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENiGmA1987 View Post


It was decided that since I could not use audio through HDMI, I would have to use an older codec through Optical, or use analog RCA cables. Since the kind of RCA cables I use would cost more than the player (to hook up all channels), that idea is out.

Why not try inexpensive RCA cables to see if they're better than SPDIF first?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Blu-Ray Player Audio Setup Thread - All Audio Questions Go Here