or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › Dish DTVPal technical and TVGOS topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dish DTVPal technical and TVGOS topic - Page 3  

post #61 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post

Changing the aspect on other channels works fine, but it's a universal setting. I don't see any way to lock an aspect per channel at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabeader View Post

if you're asking about the Pal, it remembers what the last choice was for that channel.

Hmm, I'd think it would remember what you had it set to for each channel, but it doesn't sound like Franchise is saying that.

But yes, the SD 4:3 channels don't let you adjust the aspect ratio.
post #62 of 822
Has anyone found out how many events at one time the VCR Timer can handle?
post #63 of 822
5 total
can be of any type: once, daily, weekday...
post #64 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabeader View Post

5 total
can be of any type: once, daily, weekday...

Ouch! Most vcr's have timers for up to 8 events. Considering the amount RAM in the box available for EPG data, I think they could of easily increased that number.

Late night TV shows that start after midnight have always been a challenge for vcr timers that have support for weekdays. Many dumb ones will record Sunday night through Thursday night. Technically it's correct but not what most people would want. Is the DTV pal smart enough to compensate?
post #65 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post

Hmm, I'd think it would remember what you had it set to for each channel, but it doesn't sound like Franchise is saying that.

But yes, the SD 4:3 channels don't let you adjust the aspect ratio.

Yeah, you guys are right about the SD channels. It hit me when I later tried changing the aspect on the local 24/7 weather subchannel. That and the four PBSs are the only non-HD/non-upconverted channels here. My HTPC can change the aspect, so I expected the box to, too.

And, nope, so far, if all channels are set to Zoom, and I change one to Normal, the others are then Normal. If there's a second "locking" button or something, I don't know what it is.
post #66 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyager View Post

Late night TV shows that start after midnight have always been a challenge for vcr timers that have support for weekdays. Many dumb ones will record Sunday night through Thursday night. Technically it's correct but not what most people would want.

I remember reading about recorders with a Tuesday-through-Saturday setting for that very reason.

At worst you could set two events for it in the DTVPal: one for Saturday mornings and one for weekday mornings, and then don't set the VCR to record on Monday mornings.  That still wastes one event but at least it doesn't use up all five.
post #67 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

I remember reading about recorders with a Tuesday-through-Saturday setting for that very reason.

My old Sony does just that.

Quote:


At worst you could set two events for it in the DTVPal: one for Saturday mornings and one for weekday mornings, and then don't set the VCR to record on Monday mornings. That still wastes one event but at least it doesn't use up all five.

Yes, that is the only solution.
post #68 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by golinux View Post

... Yes, that is the only solution.

Or record seven days and delete two, using only one event.
post #69 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyager View Post

Ouch! Most vcr's have timers for up to 8 events. Considering the amount RAM in the box available for EPG data, I think they could of easily increased that number.

Double ouch. My DVDR easily schedules twice that number. I generally have 8-12 recording events scheduled weekly during the fall season (I don't watch anything in real time any more). This limitation won't due at all.
post #70 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardly View Post

Or record seven days and delete two, using only one event.

Even better.
post #71 of 822
I'm a little concerned about the timer "pop-up" described on Page 12 of the manual. If I'm recording one station from 8pm-9pm and a different channel from 9pm-10pm, will that "pop-up" be on my recording at 8:58pm? If so, is this "pop-up" defeatable globally, or just when you are around to "kill" it with the remote? It would be nice if you could just kill it completely, but the manual doesn't mention it. Kinda makes the timers useless for use in conjunction with a VCR.
post #72 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Double ouch. My DVDR easily schedules twice that number. I generally have 8-12 recording events scheduled weekly during the fall season (I don't watch anything in real time any more). This limitation won't due at all.

Don't worry. Come February, you'll be able to use it with your recorder's TVGOS, and then be able to use all 8-12 of them again.
post #73 of 822
Thread Starter 
yes not only does it come back to the right channel it refreshes your drink. come on people it's a decoder box stop with these strange scenarios.
post #74 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Don't worry. Come February, you'll be able to use it with your recorder's TVGOS, and then be able to use all 8-12 of them again.

I'm just waiting for you to take receipt of the DVTPal you ordered and verify that it will work with the E-85 ;-).

But I take it the digital version of TVGOS may not currently be broadcast in many regions? So, may have to wait a while to see if it really works.
post #75 of 822
I've read the DTV Pal manual, and the remote and guide features are very similar to my DISH SAT receiver. The remote is nearly a copy of the DISH remote used on the 4700/4900 receiver.

It doesn't appear as though a favorite channel list can be created and used to scan through with the remote. (selected channels can be removed from the guide.)

The browse feature can be used to surf channel listings, but all channels in memory (including sub-channels) have to be browsed.

Anyone know if a favorite channel list can be created and accessed from the remote?

Beeper
post #76 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I'm a little concerned about the timer "pop-up" described on Page 12 of the manual. If I'm recording one station from 8pm-9pm and a different channel from 9pm-10pm, will that "pop-up" be on my recording at 8:58pm? If so, is this "pop-up" defeatable globally, or just when you are around to "kill" it with the remote? It would be nice if you could just kill it completely, but the manual doesn't mention it. Kinda makes the timers useless for use in conjunction with a VCR.

Yes, it will show up on your recording. Unless you want an absolutely pristine recording for archival, I don't think the pop-up is going to be that big of an issue. It's relatively small (about the size of a mute icon) and appears near the bottom of the screen, so it doesn't really obstruct the view. Trying to remove it manually during a recording might be more annoying because when you press "select" on the remote, it opens up into a dialog box which covers most of the screen. There is no way to disable the pop-up globally, at least I haven't found a way.
post #77 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

Yes, it will show up on your recording. Unless you want an absolutely pristine recording for archival, I don't think the pop-up is going to be that big of an issue. It's relatively small (about the size of a mute icon) and appears near the bottom of the screen, so it doesn't really obstruct the view. Trying to remove it manually during a recording might be more annoying because when you press "select" on the remote, it opens up into a dialog box which covers most of the screen. There is no way to disable the pop-up globally, at least I haven't found a way.

The mute icon on my Bravia is so small it is barely visable. I have seen some Toshiba LCDs with rather large mute icons. Point being, saying something is about the size of a mute icon is rather vague. Thanks for the reply, but have you got a slightly better description of the size/area? Thanks again. Sure wish the manufacturer would have given the option to switch that thing OFF!
post #78 of 822
maybe he meant the DTVPal mute icon?
post #79 of 822
this guy from the other thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14192892
talks about moving around the epg by entering a number (of hours), then pushing right or left to go forward or back in time....like my Sony 250 high-def recorder....(does Tivo do this? I installed a unit for my father and found it a real pain to move forward in the guide by days)

also re a 10-sec DELAY in going to pass-through...are they serious???

he didn't much like the way saving a search worked....
post #80 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

Thanks for the reply, but have you got a slightly better description of the size/area?

On my 27" analog TV, the pop-up is about 1 inch high by about 2 inches wide or about the same size as The CW station logo. It appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen, and if you're watching an HD program in wide screen mode, it barely covers any of the picture.
post #81 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Yes dave or scott showed pics. You pus a analog passthru button on remote and then push yes or no to confirm. Not sure how to get box back though

When it is in Analog pass through mode, the unit is still receiving the OTA digital channels and sends them out using RCA output?
post #82 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

talks about moving around the epg by entering a number (of hours), then pushing right or left to go forward or back in time....like my Sony 250 high-def recorder....(does Tivo do this? I installed a unit for my father and found it a real pain to move forward in the guide by days)

TiVo is designed to force you not to use the channel guide (by making it as difficult to use as they can get away with). Anything that would make the channel guide easier to use would go counter to the design

Seriously, TiVo has some of the worst channel guide navigation I've ever seen. If you need to move beyond the next few hours, you need to go to a separate page.

They do not use a guide-centric philosophy like almost every other device. They mostly expect you to search for shows using the incremental title search and let TiVo "smarts" figure out how to record the shows.
post #83 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

TiVo is designed to force you not to use the channel guide (by making it as difficult to use as they can get away with). Anything that would make the channel guide easier to use would go counter to the design

Seriously, TiVo has some of the worst channel guide navigation I've ever seen. If you need to move beyond the next few hours, you need to go to a separate page.

They do not use a guide-centric philosophy like almost every other device. They mostly expect you to search for shows using the incremental title search and let TiVo "smarts" figure out how to record the shows.

yeah, we have three different types of high-def units that have decent navigation forward in the guides

.... it's REALLY obnoxious not to give you an easy option...I guess I'll never get one for myself

I'm glad to see that DTVPal offers that option...(for my analog TV and for friends I've been advising)
post #84 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post

When it is in Analog pass through mode, the unit is still receiving the OTA digital channels and sends them out using RCA output?

No, the RCA output only functions when the box is ON. Using the analog pass-thru feature essentially puts the box into standby mode. The power light is still on, but none of the digital features are functional. It appears that using the pass-thru mode gives a slightly stronger analog signal than simply turning the box off although that will work too.
post #85 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

On my 27" analog TV, the pop-up is about 1 inch high by about 2 inches wide or about the same size as The CW station logo. It appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen, and if you're watching an HD program in wide screen mode, it barely covers any of the picture.

OK. Thanks. It only appears for the last two minutes before the channel change, right?
post #86 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

OK. Thanks. It only appears for the last two minutes before the channel change, right?

Yes, the pop-up appears two minutes before the channel change and does a countdown. It would be nice if they provided an option to alter the timing of the pop-up but they don't. It's a bit annoying, but considering that no other converter offers the timer feature, I can live with it.
post #87 of 822
I get the same thing with my Dish receiver's timer, so thery're really copying it right down to the minutest detail, it sounds like.
post #88 of 822
I just set up my DTVPal, and would like to offer a few impressions that others here have not touched upon yet.

I was excited when I read in the user manual (which I found online before I purchased the box) that it would respond to Scientific Atlanta cable-box codes. Excited, since I have a Toshiba RD-XS32 DVR for which Scientific Atlanta is one of the cable-box brands its IR Blaster can control. But I found the DVTPal HAS to be set to the "TV Guide" mode for them to work (and as has been previously mentioned, the EPG, event timers, etc. do not work in TV Guide mode). What's more, I only seem to be able to enter channel numbers numerically; the channel-up/down buttons on my Toshiba remote appear to cause the Toshiba's IR Blaster to transmit the codes as expected, and I even see the LED on the front of the DTVPal blink in response, but it takes no action! Makes it impossible to just channel-surf. This might be due to the age of my Toshiba, maybe the DTVPal expects codes from a newer Scientific Atlanta box; but I can't see Scientific Atlanta having changed something as basic as its channel-up/down codes in the last few years. (and yes, I've tried codes from other manufacturers, as well as other S.A. codes listed in the Toshiba manual, but only the one S.A. code set appears to work at all, namely, code 008.)

This is made extra-frustrating by a couple of other DTVPal foibles. First, in TV Guide mode, the box seems to be picky as to how fast or slow the IR-blasted numeric codes are transmitted. Go too fast or too slow and it misses numbers, then tunes to some unwanted channel. Unfortunately, the Toshiba appears to transmit the codes too slowly when starting a timer recording, so the DTVPal ends up on the wrong channel every time! It would be nice if the DTVPal were more forgiving of numeric entry speed.

Second, while in TV Guide mode, the DTVPal provides NO on-screen information. Zero. No channel number, call letters, signal-strength, or anything else. It doesn't even display any numbers when I'm typing them in on the Toshiba's remote. So when the above problem happens, I have no idea WHICH channel the DVTPal winds up on.

Like some others have noted, the DTVPal's own built-in event timer only supports five entries; if not for that, I might not even bother with the IR Blaster. (During the height of the TV season, I might need to record eight or more programs.) It's just frustrating to find that the Scientific Atlanta compatability was implemented in such a half-baked way!

-----------------

Now, I want to let you know that there is a trick to entering channel numbers when the DTVPal is in TV Guide mode. Given a DTV channel number in "standard" format ("Main channel-subchannel" form, like "5.1" or "5-1"), the number to plug into your remote is

100 + (Main channel x 10) + subchannel

so, for example, channel 5.1 becomes 100+(5x10)+1 = 151, while channel 16.4 becomes 100+(16x10)+4 = 264. It's okay to add a leading "0", e.g. "0264", if your IR blaster puts out a four-digit number. Again, this only works in TV Guide mode... in the normal "digital" mode, you enter the original channel numbers ("0164" for 16.4). I had to discover this purely by trial-and-error, mind you. Hope it's helpful to someone!

Aimhere
post #89 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post

No, the RCA output only functions when the box is ON. Using the analog pass-thru feature essentially puts the box into standby mode. The power light is still on, but none of the digital features are functional. It appears that using the pass-thru mode gives a slightly stronger analog signal than simply turning the box off although that will work too.

One last question regarding pass through. Toggle between pass-through on/off while the unit is ON is very fast? (ie, the unit doesn't need to go through a few seconds of starting up time)
post #90 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post

Hmm, I'd think it would remember what you had it set to for each channel, but it doesn't sound like Franchise is saying that.

But yes, the SD 4:3 channels don't let you adjust the aspect ratio.

I assume the DTVPal supports widescreen TV. If so, there is a legitimate reason to adjust aspect ratio for SD 4:3 channels. Sometimes I want it to be in FULL mode, and other times I want black bars on the side without aspect ratio distortion. Is this possible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Technical › Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) › Dish DTVPal technical and TVGOS topic