Originally Posted by TangoJetta
I just got DV-A49A, Is this a region free DVD player?
In order for me to answer your question and possibly help you out, I need to know what the firmware is. It should start with YJC, YJD, or YJE. In order to check your firmware, do the following:
1. If your player is in standby, turn it on. Wait for the 'Loading' message to disappear.
2. Press 'HOME MENU' on the remote control.
3. Highlight 'Initial Settings.'
4. Press 'ENTER.'
5. Highlight 'Options,' but do not press 'ENTER.'
6. Press 'DISPLAY.' The player's region and firmware will appear.
7. Press 'HOME MENU' to exit and return to the screen with the red Pioneer logo.
I won't keep you hanging. If the firmware does not start with YJC, you will have to back up all your foreign DVDs to DVD+RDLs with special software. However, if it does, then you can use the firmware found at pioneerfaq.info for the DV-610AV. Warning! installing firmware with other letters than you see on the screen is lethal poison to your player! Please let us know what firmware you have so those following this thread will know what's going on. Thanks!