or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › TX-SR806 is in Circuit City's computer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TX-SR806 is in Circuit City's computer.

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
At the store in Jackson MS they told me yesterday they should get them in about a month. The MSRP they showed in the computer was $949.99.
post #2 of 79
I work at a Circuit City in MN, I'm pretty sure I ran this new model in the computer a few days ago and got nothing. Maybe it's in there now. I'll be checking when I go in today.
post #3 of 79
Well, I'm typing this from work and it is indeed in our system. Our DCs don't have any yet, but usually if it's in our computer they're only a couple weeks off. Price of $949.99
post #4 of 79
That means months from now it will be on Onkyo's website.
post #5 of 79
any chance you get specs (ie dynamic volume, reon?)
post #6 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

any chance you get specs (ie dynamic volume, reon?)

The 806 will have Audyssey Dynamic EQ, THX Select 2 Plus certification (which includes THX Loudness Plus), and 5 HDMI input. As in the current lineup you'll have to move up a level for the reon.

Also from what can find MSRP is less than at the time of the 805s release which is cool if that's the case, although I haven't been able to verify this yet.
post #7 of 79
THX select 2 plus is a step down from THX Ultra2. This is bad news for future buyers.
post #8 of 79
I don't consider it bad news. I didn't care if it was THX certified in the first place. THX was not at the top of my priority list when evaluating a receiver.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

THX select 2 plus is a step down from THX Ultra2. This is bad news for future buyers.

For the buzzword-driven ones, perhaps.
But unlike you many of us know that THX processing is identical in both so hardly give a flying frog about the subtle nuances (gain control, max optimal cubic feet etc) or a logo.
post #10 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Well, I'm typing this from work and it is indeed in our system. Our DCs don't have any yet, but usually if it's in our computer they're only a couple weeks off. Price of $949.99

did you check for TX-SR706?
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

THX select 2 plus is a step down from THX Ultra2. This is bad news for future buyers.

That would indicate a weaker amp imo.
post #12 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

any chance you get specs (ie dynamic volume, reon?)

The 806 uses the Hudson II a slight improvement over the 805 but only upscales to 1080i..

Just my $0.02...
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 806 uses the Hudson II a slight improvement over the 805 but only upscales to 1080i..

Just my $0.02...

well if onkyo doesn't have DV or 1080p (even if it is faroudja) up at this level, i guess they don't plan on competing with denon this go around
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm88 View Post

well if onkyo doesn't have DV or 1080 (even if it is faroudja) up at this level, i guess they don't plan on competing with denon this go around


For the last 12 months..
Onkyo AVR sales are up 37%, and Denon AVR sales are down 21%. The Onkyo AVRs were first out with HDMI 1.3 and introduced many significant features @ aggressive pricing.

Just my $0.02...
post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

For the last 12 months..
Onkyo AVR sales are up 37%, and Denon AVR sales are down 21%. The Onkyo AVRs were first out with HDMI 1.3 and introduced many significant features @ aggressive pricing.

Just my $0.02...

granted, the '05 series onkyos were feature competitive or better with the '08 Denons, however, the '06 onkyos appear to be severely lacking on some key new features when compared to '09 denons

just my $0.02....
post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post

did you check for TX-SR706?

I can't remember if I ran that one or not. I was running all kinds of random model numbers. I will give it a run tomorrow.
post #17 of 79
Forget the Denons. This won't compete with the HK AVR 254 and 354.
post #18 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Forget the Denons. This won't compete with the HK AVR 254 and 354.

Come on man, be realistic.
post #19 of 79
I agree. I was planning on stepping up to an 806, but the feature list is making me think a Denon 2309I instead.

Dynamic volume is a huge WAF winner. Other than the extra HDMI ports (which admittedly is a big deal) it doesn't look like anything more than a tweak to the 805 (which is available at half the MSRP), whereas Denon is really doing a lot to enhance their line for 2009.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Forget the Denons. This won't compete with the HK AVR 254 and 354.

For some they won't., Seems you've made up your mind. For others they will. It's it good to have choices?
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I agree. I was planning on stepping up to an 806, but the feature list is making me think a Denon 2309I instead.

Dynamic volume is a huge WAF winner. Other than the extra HDMI ports (which admittedly is a big deal) it doesn't look like anything more than a tweak to the 805 (which is available at half the MSRP), whereas Denon is really doing a lot to enhance their line for 2009.

Completely agree. I was all set on waiting for an 806 but dynamic volume is a dealbreaker. I'm gonna be going with Denon as well.
post #22 of 79
I never cared for THX certifications. However, for Onkyo to step down from Ultra2 to Select2, the amp section must have gotten some serious cost cutting. This was what truely sets the 805 apart from others.
post #23 of 79
Can anyone really tell if REON is anything to get excited about on the upper Onkyo's? I haven't been able to find any kind of definitive review on it, some sites didn't think that much of it. I almost pulled the trigger on the model just below the current ones that have Reon, but then I started to second guess and thought of spending a little more.

Is inclusion of the Faroudja chip in a receiver still "the $hit" for scaling up?
post #24 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochexum View Post

Completely agree. I was all set on waiting for an 806 but dynamic volume is a dealbreaker. I'm gonna be going with Denon as well.

Dynamic volume is something I am hoping for on the higher model Onkyo's as well, but if they don't have it then I am seriously considering the Denon because of that. I don't know why Onkyo wouldn't have it on even their highest models, unless they didn't get time to figure out how to incorporate it or Denon got some timed exclusivity to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I agree. I was planning on stepping up to an 806, but the feature list is making me think a Denon 2309I instead.

Dynamic volume is a huge WAF winner. Other than the extra HDMI ports (which admittedly is a big deal) it doesn't look like anything more than a tweak to the 805 (which is available at half the MSRP), whereas Denon is really doing a lot to enhance their line for 2009.

I knew about Dynamic volume, but what else is Denon doing that significantly enhances their 2009 line compared to last years?
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I agree. I was planning on stepping up to an 806, but the feature list is making me think a Denon 2309I instead.

Dynamic volume is a huge WAF winner. Other than the extra HDMI ports (which admittedly is a big deal) it doesn't look like anything more than a tweak to the 805 (which is available at half the MSRP), whereas Denon is really doing a lot to enhance their line for 2009.

Whoa - you mean you can set a decibel level and it will ramp up and down the volume like auto climate control? No more commercials at ear deafening levels? Dayum it really has been too long since I looked into receivers again.
post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vd0 View Post

Dynamic volume is something I am hoping for on the higher model Onkyo's as well, but if they don't have it then I am seriously considering the Denon because of that. I don't know why Onkyo wouldn't have it on even their highest models, unless they didn't get time to figure out how to incorporate it or Denon got some timed exclusivity to it.



I knew about Dynamic volume, but what else is Denon doing that significantly enhances their 2009 line compared to last years?

Can't remember if last year's had dynamic eq but the new ones do. All the new ones have more HDMI inputs which was probably the biggest problem with last year's.
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 806 uses the Hudson II a slight improvement over the 805 but only upscales to 1080i..

Just my $0.02...

Are you sure the 806 carries the "Hudson II" like the 606 ??

check this thread which basically states that the 706X has faroudja Cinema. That's a 1080p 3D comb filter chip. Even if it is in the range of the FL2310, it is similar to the chip used by the higly acclaimed Oppo 981 DVD players. The chip is old, however it suggests that it is priced competitively at the end of its product cycle. I think some of these chips suffer from 8bit internal conversions/calculations. However, it should do wonders for standard definition cable broadcasts.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

Come on man, be realistic.

In my system with Klipsch Reference Series speakers, I auditioned an Onkyo 804 and HK 247 side by side. The 247 put the 804 to shame. Especially on music. The amps on the 247 was just that good. I now have a HK AVR 745 and am very pleased. The newly released 254 is getting rave reviews for sound quality as well as 1080p upscaling from all sources. So, while I know choice is good, in this case, anyone not checking out the HK receivers are limiting their choices.
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

In my system with Klipsch Reference Series speakers, I auditioned an Onkyo 804 and HK 247 side by side. The 247 put the 804 to shame. Especially on music. The amps on the 247 was just that good. I now have a HK AVR 745 and am very pleased. The newly released 254 is getting rave reviews for sound quality as well as 1080p upscaling from all sources. So, while I know choice is good, in this case, anyone not checking out the HK receivers are limiting their choices.

Can you point us to the sources of these rave reviews? Professional reviews only please.
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

Can you point us to the sources of these rave reviews? Professional reviews only please.

No professional reviews yet. However, check out the 254/255 thread. There are some people with HDMI issues and other usual QC issues, but for those that got units that work without issues, the setup GUI and the sound quality are being praised. And given the quality of the HK 247 (which I experience first hand), I would bet on the 254.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › TX-SR806 is in Circuit City's computer.